PDA

View Full Version : FYI, NC may be dumping the SIG 357 round?

JJ_BPK
08-16-2013, 08:34
http://bearingarms.com/nc-state-troopers-may-replace-nearly-2000-problem-prone-357-sig-pistols/

I said may, because the article not say all will switch.

Eyewitness News spoke to NCHP spokesman First Sgt. Jeff Gordon via Facetime. He said 1,649 uniformed members carry the pistols, but the agency did not feel the need to do a mass withdrawal since not all of the guns have the issue, and all troopers are trained on how to handle jams.

Not sure if they are looking at the round or pistol as the problem.

:munchin

Streck-Fu
08-16-2013, 08:41
It looks like S&W is offering to replace them. LINK (http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/north-carolina-troopers-replace-nearly-2000-guns/nZP93/)

If the NCHP stays with Smith & Wesson, the old guns will be traded in for new guns at no cost. If they chose another vendor, they may be able to trade but will likely have to pay. Money for the new guns will come from asset forfeitures from drug seizures and other crimes, the Highway Patrol said.

Hopefully S&W will offer 9mm or .40 replacements.

JJ_BPK
08-16-2013, 09:04
It looks like S&W is offering to replace them. LINK (http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/north-carolina-troopers-replace-nearly-2000-guns/nZP93/)
Hopefully S&W will offer 9mm or .40 replacements.

My gut says the 40 & 357 SIG are being used in undersize frames.

It goes back to the beginning with the 10mm FBI development.

The services & LEO's wanted a pistol with more ammo capacity than the 6 shot S&W N frame in 357 or 45ACP, like a GLOCK,, but they also wanted something that carried more punch than a 9mm.. Ergo the 10mm, in a 45ACP frame...

Then they changed their mind and want something not so punishing with a smaller grip frame for the smaller operators,, ERGO the 40S&W, and the 357SIG..

I'm not going to pick sides,, To me it's like saying we only need one size poncho lines?? :munchin

The Reaper
08-16-2013, 17:29
Smith's autos have a long and checkered performance history.

I suspect that the Troopers prefer them to the Berettas they replaced.

The 686 revolvers had a lot of initial problems as well. Could be their labor force and QC aren't all they should have been over the recent years.

Not sure why they went with S&W over SIG, Glock, or HK other than the price, and the Glock is probably less than the Smith.

TR

badshot
08-16-2013, 19:08
Troopers in Montana use the SIG and regularly practice at 50yrds and don't have any issues.

With LEO Speers my Hii-Power 9mm hits milk jugs at 100. NYPD uses them with good field results...

Sounds like being too careful with expenses got expensive, good thing hopefully no officers got hurt finding out.

MAB32
08-17-2013, 09:20
We had problems in the mid 80's with S & W 586's and 686's because of timing problems with the cylinders.

I wonder if the Air Marshall's will change now too? I am now seriously considering going back to a 9mm +P because I am having allot of trouble finding a .45cal in +P on the shelves.

GratefulCitizen
08-17-2013, 16:04
We had problems in the mid 80's with S & W 586's and 686's because of timing problems with the cylinders.

I wonder if the Air Marshall's will change now too? I am now seriously considering going back to a 9mm +P because I am having allot of trouble finding a .45cal in +P on the shelves.

He's typically a couple of weeks out on orders, but if you want powerful loads, try doubletapammo.com.

Streck-Fu
08-17-2013, 18:44
I wonder if the Air Marshall's will change now too?

I did not think the Air Marshals used S&W......They have Sigs in .357....THe problem with the NC Police is the platform, not the caliber.

MAB32
08-18-2013, 08:42
Last I heard they were carrying Glocks.

Hambone933
08-30-2013, 18:20
The NCSHP is having problems with the M&P. There is no doubt the weapon will be replaced. Prior to the Patrol adopting the Smith & Wesson, they carried the Sig p229. Never had the first hiccup out of them. As stated earlier, the problem is the weapon platform. Problems from failing to extract to broken slide releases and magazine releases have been a common occurrence. The question is, which weapon will be adopted next. Not having any experience with the Glock and several years with the Sig, you think the Sig would be chosen. But, as with all state agencies, more often than not, the lowest bid wins. Will be interesting. I know either will be an improvement over what is being carried at the present time.

Hambone933
08-30-2013, 18:22
Last time I spoke with an air Marshall they were carrying the Sig, not the Glock. Jfyi.