PDA

View Full Version : Cedros Island Yellowtail

mark46th
08-13-2013, 21:23
Went to Cedros Island, off the central coast of Baja for the last 4 days. Lot's of big Yellowtail, this was my biggest at 36 lbs. Biggest in the group was 44 lbs, last week, a friend of mine took a 53 pounder...

Team Sergeant
08-13-2013, 21:40
Went to Cedros Island, off the central coast of Baja for the last 4 days. Lot's of big Yellowtail, this was my biggest at 36 lbs. Biggest in the group was 44 lbs, last week, a friend of mine took a 53 pounder...

You need to adopt me........

mark46th
08-13-2013, 22:05
You need to adopt me........ TS

LOL- I probably couldn't afford your ammo requirements...

Badger52
08-14-2013, 14:58
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice! :D Reminds me of Dad taking me as a little kid down to Ensenada; 40 pounders mucho. Fish was damn near bigger than me; I do remember they ate pretty good. Good pics, thanks.

JJ_BPK
08-14-2013, 16:42
Lot's of big Yellowtail, this was my biggest at 36 lbs.

Nice catch.. How is the meat on those puppies??

Down here, Amber-jacks tend to be a little wormy by the time they get this big. We smoke them and make dip. A little liquid smoke, chopped onion, & Mayo makes everything taste good.. :D

PS: Were your arms a little sore?? :lifter

full cooler
08-14-2013, 16:59
Nice fish. We used to catch yellowtail off the Oceanside pier in the early 60's. They're great eating, of course we also ate bonito, mostly smoked.

JJ - The cold water (Humbodlt) current does wonders for the texture and lack of worms.

mark46th
08-14-2013, 18:35
We made Sashimi from it every night- The Japanese call it "Hamachi". The flesh is very firm with a mild taste. It is also good grilled or baked. The Mexicans batter and fry it for tacos.

Divemaster
08-15-2013, 17:03
Ok, that is just booking dot awesome!

Adopt me before TS. I promise to burn less ammo.

mark46th
08-15-2013, 21:34
OK guys- Start thinking about next year. I will be going towards the end of July- beginning of August... If anyone wants to go, let me know. Here is the url to Cedros Outdooe Adventures, the outfitter...

http://cedrosoutdooradventures.com/

Divemaster
08-17-2013, 08:38
OK guys- Start thinking about next year. I will be going towards the end of July- beginning of August... If anyone wants to go, let me know. Here is the url to Cedros Outdooe Adventures, the outfitter...

Mark, was just checking out the website. How many days to you normally go for?

Team Sergeant
08-17-2013, 13:20

Hell if we're going to plan that far out let's just overthrow Mexico, install a new government and make the entire west side of Mexico a fishing resort......

I think we can get that done in what, 8-10 months? :munchin

MR2
08-17-2013, 15:23
Hell if we're going to plan that far out let's just overthrow Mexico, install a new government and make the entire west side of Mexico a fishing resort......

I think we can get that done in what, 8-10 months? :munchin

Six weeks if we wait for amnesty to kick in.

mark46th
08-17-2013, 15:38
I have thought about the U.S. taking over Baja. The infrastructure would be better and the water safer, but then it would be just like Newport Beach in Orange County. The reason I like Baja is because it is difficult to get from one place to another and if you want to do something stupid where you could injure or kill yourself, nobody cares.

Divemaster
08-17-2013, 22:34
I have thought about the U.S. taking over Baja. THe infrastructure would be better and the water safer, but then it would be just like Newport Beach in Orange County. The reason I like Baja is because it is difficult to get from one place to another and if you want to do something stupid where you could injure or kill yourself, nobody cares.

I have a map in my collection that shows Cali (mostly Baja) as an island. Now that would be an even better place to fish!

mark46th
08-20-2013, 15:13
DiveM- I go for 4 days, that gives me 2 1/2 days of fishing. Price included van from San Ysidro to Ensenada, R/T airfare to Cedros Island, food, soft drinks, panga w/ skipper. I paid out of pocket for tourist visa, meals in transit and tips. I gave out about $200.00 in tips. $100 for the boat captain, $80 for maids, cooks, drivers(to and from hotel to dock) and I gave $10 each to the two local kids who washed our tackle each day. On the last day, an envelope for tips is left in your room. I gave $20 for each day, thus, the $80... The panga captain gets his money diectly from the fishermen, the envelopes are combined and split amongst the workers. The 5 hour trip across the border from Mexico to the U.S. was at no charge, courtesy of ICE.

mojaveman
08-20-2013, 17:55
Sounds like a nice little summer vacation. Did anyone catch anything other than Yellowtail? How is the maid service in Mexico? :D :p

mark46th
08-20-2013, 18:34
The maid service didn't compare to Thailand. Calicos 3-5 pound average, the occasional 8 pounder and one 10 pounder this year. I dumped a good sized white sea bass while fishing for grouper. Halibut are there earlier in the year.

Roguish Lawyer
08-21-2013, 08:04
I'm in for next year!

Team Sergeant
08-21-2013, 10:30
I'm in for next year!

For the fishing or the covert overthrow of Mexico? :munchin

Roguish Lawyer
08-21-2013, 17:01
For the fishing or the covert overthrow of Mexico? :munchin

The fishing. Happy to help with Upper Mexico, where I live, when you guys are ready. ;)

mark46th
08-22-2013, 17:12
"For the fishing or the covert overthrow of Mexico?" TS

When I was working in Mexico, mi dueno was talking to a Mexican Army major. The major said that the politicos in Mexico City were concerned about the number of Americans moving to Mexico. They referred to it as the "Silent Invasion". I pointed out to my boss that the americans were for the most part, retired with no kids, no expectation of the government feeding, clothing, housing nor educating(in their native language) them. They would rent a home, hire a maid, hire a gardener and further contribute to the local community.