PDA

View Full Version : DO NOT post pics online of your loved ones from a smart phone!

alelks
08-12-2013, 19:02
Don't post pics of your kids or loved ones that you took with your smart phone/cell phone. If you do you have just posted their EXACT location. This is a MUST WATCH video.

http://kyeos.wordpress.com/2013/05/10/warning-if-you-take-photos-with-your-cell-phone/

Trapper John
08-12-2013, 19:13
Thanks Al! Good advice. Just forwarded this to the kids.

Tyrant
08-12-2013, 19:14
This has been going on for awhile. Social Media sites like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram basically create a link analysis of you and your friends and tag, track and locate you for the world to see. Know your equipment (phone, social media settings). Dont be afraid of it, just be aware.

alelks
08-12-2013, 19:20
If you think about it don't post any pics of anything from your cell phone if you don't want anyone to know your exact location. This could mean pics of a new firearm, a new big screen TV, a new car, a new............. Crooks can just go shopping online.

Tyrant
08-12-2013, 19:23
I like to think of it as a baited ambush. ;)

alelks
08-12-2013, 19:23
This has been going on for awhile. Social Media sites like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram basically create a link analysis of you and your friends and tag, track and locate you for the world to see. Know your equipment (phone, social media settings). Dont be afraid of it, just be aware.

Actually it can pinpoint you all the way to your bedroom and it's all embedded in the photo. :eek:

alelks
08-12-2013, 19:28
Here's how:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BntyDE13Ss0

Old Dog New Trick
08-12-2013, 19:38
If you think about it don't post any pics of anything from your cell phone if you don't want anyone to know your exact location. This could mean pics of a new firearm, a new big screen TV, a new car, a new............. Crooks can just go shopping online.

Then they should have looked better at the weapon that will meet them at the door! :D

All good reminders to know how and what privacy settings are available and used. But, at some point you just have to live your life...

alelks
08-12-2013, 19:44
Then they should have looked better at the weapon that will meet them at the door! :D

All good reminders to know how and what privacy settings are available and used. But, at some point you just have to live your life...

Valid Points. I know if anyone breaks through my front door (it won't be easy as it's a steel door with steel frame) they pretty much die in the doorway, no questions asked.

Just remember though that they could just wait until you're not home and then break in and rob you blind looking for the items in the pics. ;)

JHD
08-12-2013, 19:51
You should be able to turn off the locater on your phone for photos. I allow it for my weather app, but otherwise, my locater service is off for that very reason.

alelks
08-12-2013, 19:53
There is hope though:

How to remove EXIF Data from an image file completely

The easiest way to remove EXIF and XMP Data from an image without involving third party software is to either do it in Photoshop or in Lightroom. In Photoshop, simply go to File->Save for Web & Devices and make sure that “Metadata” is set to “None”.

or

How to Remove Camera and GPS Data?

If you are planning to share your personal photographs over email or on a public website (like Tumblr), it may sometimes make sense to remove the camera data and the location information from the images before putting them online.
There’s a free Windows utility called QuickFix http://www.metabilitysoftware.com/products/metability-quickfix.html that can help you here. Simply drag-n-drop the photographs in the QuickFix window and click the Clean Metadata button to remove all identifiable information from the photographs. It creates a new copy and won’t overwrite your original photographs.
QuickFix will not only delete the EXIF data and the GPS location information from your photographs but also the IPTC and XMP tags that may have added by the photo editing application.

alelks
08-12-2013, 19:56
You should be able to turn off the locater on your phone for photos. I allow it for my weather app, but otherwise, my locater service is off for that very reason.

Just make sure when you turn off your GPS that you also turn off your carrier locator services also because they are separate.

Richard
08-12-2013, 21:14
I don't use phones like that - mine is a simple $15 Alcatel I keep in the glove compartment of my '63 Chevy pickup for emergencies.

I developed an aversion to 'electronic leashes' in the military.

Richard

blue02hd
08-12-2013, 21:35
I like to think of it as a baited ambush. ;)

You owe MWR a new keyboard,,,

JHD
08-13-2013, 03:01
Just make sure when you turn off your GPS that you also turn off your carrier locator services also because they are separate.

Good point. I think it is but need to double check.

Thanks for posting the quick fix info, as well.

Streck-Fu
08-13-2013, 06:03
Don't post pics of your kids or loved ones that you took with your smart phone/cell phone. If you do you have just posted their EXACT location. This is a MUST WATCH video.

Location tagging in photos can be turned off easily.GPS tagging photos in the EXIF data is different from your phones GPS locator service. You can turn off location tagging in the camera only and still have your GPS active for navigation, etc.

To verify, you can turn it off and then view the EXIF file for the data to see what's actually included.

It is reported that Facebook and Twitter strip EXIF data by default when compressing but I have not looked to verify.

Snaquebite
08-13-2013, 06:21
Location tagging in photos can be turned off easily.GPS tagging photos in the EXIF data is different from your phones GPS locator service. You can turn off location tagging in the camera only and still have your GPS active for navigation, etc.

To verify, you can turn it off and then view the EXIF file for the data to see what's actually included.

It is reported that Facebook and Twitter strip EXIF data by default when compressing but I have not looked to verify.

Correct
However, I don't trust that FB and Twitter actually do that. It's turned off on my camera.

Find the "Geotagging" option on your phone's camera and turn it off. Problem solved.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=371285&highlight=geotagging#post371285

pcfixer
08-13-2013, 08:24
Correct
However, I don't trust that FB and Twitter actually do that. It's turned off on my camera.

Find the "Geotagging" option on your phone's camera and turn it off. Problem solved.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=371285&highlight=geotagging#post371285

I don't use FB or Twitter accounts. I understand that comodo dragon properly
used is a good firewall to avoid privacy leakage.
Richard's advice is good to. Use a cheap $15 cell.

Pete
08-13-2013, 08:38
The Uwharrie Beast doesn't have WiFi capability so I think I'm pretty safe when I post my camping pictures.

echoes
08-13-2013, 09:03
Correct

Wow, thank you Sirs for the great advice...I had no idea? (And I do not use any social media, but good to know!)

Yet another example of what can be learned by listening to QP's wisdom.:lifter

Myself being the lone holdout....I finally purchased one of those "smartphones," an AT&T Windows 8x whatever thing, but honestly, I think the phone is smarter than I am sometimes.:o

It does take great pics of dishes created in the kitchen however.

Holly

Old Dog New Trick
08-13-2013, 10:04
The Uwharrie Beast doesn't have WiFi capability so I think I'm pretty safe when I post my camping pictures.

Yes that is true but, (for all) be reminded that if you use "cloud" based apps between multiple devices and photo streaming software, what gets taken on one device may migrate to other devices the next time it is connected via WIFI.

While technology is great it does have harmful and exploitable pit falls.

Know your privacy settings and know that they are not perfect. I'm not but my wife is a FB user and it irks me that sometimes when FB updates some software it defaults back to many open source privacy settings and they have to be turned off or on as needed.

Best advise is to not include personal identifiable information in a picture. Like a picture of your kid getting on/off a school bus, the school they attend, the house address seen in a photo or pictures of your cars license plates, etc.

Social media will, if not already, be a gateway for criminal and nefarious actions and SA will have to improve to a cyber awareness as well.

Team Sergeant
08-13-2013, 10:18
I just post pictures of "Guy" and I tell everyone where he's at......:munchin

Pete
08-13-2013, 11:15
Yes that is true but, (for all) be reminded that if you use "cloud" based apps between multiple devices and photo streaming software, what gets taken on one device may migrate to other devices the next time it is connected via WIFI. ....................

True - but I believe most FB users could have a lot more to worry about than that.

I think I shut down (off news feed) around 1/2 of my FB "Friends" because of excessive posting.

One was like "morning" "think I'll eat breakfast" "nothing of TV" "Life sucks" "life is wonderful" "Got a new girlfriend" " love her forever" "the Bitch" and that was all before noon.

DJ Urbanovsky
08-13-2013, 13:22
It's very easy to disable it on the phone. On my S3, you:

1) Open the camera app.

2) Got to settings. The thing that looks like a gear.

3) Locate "GPS Tag" and set it to "off."

That's it. You're done.