PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camo Ghillie...

Footmobile
11-14-2004, 21:53
I'm really pleased on how well this new suit turned out. The Desert Digital cammies make a great ghillie suit base. They just blend in much better than the three color deserts. I don't have pic of the other side but I had it sewn up by Tactical Applications Group here in J Ville and they did a great job. Coyote cordura on the front, vented the back, added some pockets and reinforced the whole thing. This is my 5th Ghillie suit and by far the most comfortable and well made that I've ever had.

We're in the process of re-working some stalking SOP's based on some AAR's and are trying to balance out carrying exactly what we need while remaining light and mobile. Just finished reading 'The Soldiers Load, and the Mobility of a Nation' and realized that alot of the shit I carried around Iraq last year was dead weight, so we're trying to lighten things up. This H-Harness set up is stalking specific and pretty much sits in the kit bag until we get tasked out.

Also threw in some pics of our Smocks, urban and desert.... :lifter

NousDefionsDoc
11-14-2004, 22:00
Looks real good. Thanks for sharing.

Footmobile
11-14-2004, 22:31
They also gave me one of these at supply the other day :eek:

It's a pretty nice pack. Side access on both sides, internal divider for sleep system, numerous side lashing points for the gammut of equipment an infantryman is tasked with carrying, and of course MOLLE webbing on the outside for attaching other pouches. It's basically the exact same thing as the Arc'Teryx Bora 80, but with Marpat Cordura and PALS webbing and some reinforcing.

We'll see if it can stand up to the task.

NousDefionsDoc
11-14-2004, 22:36
Holy crap! I don't own enough stuff to fill up a bag that big. You'll need Tanker Boy to give you a lift if you have to carry that pack more than 100 meters. :p

Looks very 10th Groupish, skis and a smoking jacket?

Footmobile
11-14-2004, 22:39
I figure I can throw enough brandy and cigars in there for one deployment atleast! :)

It is pretty comfortable, but you know how that goes. Now they'll just want us to carry even more shit around now that we have a pack that can fit it all into. :confused:

Surgicalcric
11-14-2004, 22:42
Nice kit Footmobile.

Damn thats a large pack.

Crip

NousDefionsDoc
11-14-2004, 22:45
You say this is your 5th ghillie - did you put more garnish on the first ones and learn from experience?

Footmobile
11-14-2004, 22:50
Pretty much. ;)

Natural veg is the edge...

See all those strips of 550 cord? Thats how you camouflage yourself, by tying in natural veg from your surroundings. The Burlap is only a base that helps break up your outline, it won't do much for actual camouflage in most situations.

We just got some new guys in our platoon and they just made their first ones, and they looked like freeking swampthing...just waaayyy too much burlap. :munchin

NousDefionsDoc
11-14-2004, 22:55
Common mistake among neophytes. I did it too, even though I am not a "Reach out touch someone" kind of guy.

Thanks for the tip on the 550 cord. ;)

Bravo1-3
11-15-2004, 01:59
Foot, have you tried using black zip ties for attaching the real stuff? That way you're not dicking around trying to tie things. You just zip em up and cut em off with your Leatherman when you want to get rid of them.

Those packs just never seem to get smaller :D

I can only imagine the conversation that went on designing that thing:
"We've invented a new lightweight material that will shave 20% off the weight of a Large ALICE Pack."
"Good! Make the new packs 20% larger then!"

They're going to be using you as a substitute for a CH-46 with that pack. "Bad news, FAC says no birds"
"No problem, jump in that dudes pack!"

alphamale
11-15-2004, 02:54
Footmobile, thanks for posting the pics.

Those suits are just bizarre! That first one is amazing how it looks just like the grass around to it.

FrontSight

Footmobile
11-15-2004, 09:17
[QUOTE=Bravo1-3]Foot, have you tried using black zip ties for attaching the real stuff? That way you're not dicking around trying to tie things. You just zip em up and cut em off with your Leatherman when you want to get rid of them.
QUOTE]

Dude. I already spend way too much on my own shit. Can't really afford to buy hundreds of zip ties every year. 550 is re-usable and that comes in handy when you might have to change your veg out 5 or 6 times during a stalk when you move into a different area with different color vegitation.

Plus, I don't want to leave a trail of cut zip ties leading to where ever I am on the snoop & poop to. :D

The 550 works good. Combat tested, Footmobile approved. :lifter

Razor
11-15-2004, 09:54
Footmobile, are those smocks and overpants specially made, or just an M-1950 fishtail parka bleached then re-dyed to grey and tan?

Footmobile
11-15-2004, 10:00
They are the 1950's issued ones that we dyed. They are very light weight compared to a Ghillie and work much better in alot of situations we seem to find ourselves in these days.

Here are some in action...

NousDefionsDoc
11-15-2004, 10:16
Longrange is not going to be happy about the lack of camo on that weapon. :munchin

Footmobile
11-15-2004, 10:22
Longrange is not going to be happy about the lack of camo on that weapon. :munchin

Indeed. I think it was a team photo op before or after a mission. Don't think they'd have someone snapping photo's right outside their hide during an op :D .

Those Mk-11's have been issued on a limited basis to some of our guys and I'm sure their commands said no painty the weapony.... :eek: They are nice to have none the less.

Razor
11-15-2004, 15:38
Neat picture, but how do you guys see with those big, black blocks over your eyes. :D

Footmobile
11-15-2004, 20:13
This is the new assault pack that comes with the ILBE ruck from the last page.
It's a big improvement over the MOLLE Assault pack IMO. Slimmer profile, more comfortable, and comes with a nice slim waist belt that interfaces with body armor pretty well. On the back panel there are 5 rows wide x 6 rows deep of PALS and the sides are 4 rows deep x 3 rows deep. A simple, single chamber interior with an internal slot for a camelbak. One camelbak tube port in the top center of the pack and ports for handset and antenna right in front of the carry handle. There is a frame sheet made out of some type of plastic, no aluminum stays :( , which is my only minor complaint. It's about the size of a Camelbak HAWG.

I like this pack. :munchin

Max_Tab
11-17-2004, 12:24
is that big pack the Gregory ruck? If it is it's a nice ruck but weighs like 13 lb's empty, that's why I don't use it.

Footmobile
11-17-2004, 12:41
[QUOTE=Max_Tab]is that big pack the Gregory ruck? QUOTE]

No, it's the one designed by Arc'Teryx. Same thing as the Bora 80. I think it comes in at about 9 lbs empty. Heavy, but not as bad as the Gregory.