PDA

View Full Version : Analyst: End of Bundled Cable Will Kill Over 80 Channels

BMT (RIP)
08-12-2013, 17:16
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2013/08/12/Analyst-end-of-bundled-cable-will-kill-over-80-channels

BMT

sinjefe
08-12-2013, 18:00
The very reason I cancelled cable/satellite a few years ago and went with Netflix / HuluPlus.

Ret10Echo
08-12-2013, 18:10
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2013/08/12/Analyst-end-of-bundled-cable-will-kill-over-80-channels

BMT

Good

PRB
08-12-2013, 18:26
I believe DirectTV has at least that many Spanish speaking channels that I really need badly....oh and the never ending infomercial channels etc.
Love/hate deal right now...if anyone in my rural AO has a system where I pay for only my choices...I'm in yesterday.

BigJimCalhoun
08-12-2013, 18:48
I believe DirectTV has at least that many Spanish speaking channels .
We got rid of Direct TV, mostly due to the cost and our ability to get out of the contract. As I also have Spanish-speaking direct reports, I took a liking to watching Sabado Gigante but my wife saw the women on that show and put the kibosh on it.

JJ_BPK
08-13-2013, 05:11
I agree with the bazillion trash channels,, but fear that un-bundiling will not save a penny for the SELECT home owner..

What they will do is scale the price of each channel..

Telemundo 10 cents a yr,, free with your SNAP food card
FOX news,, 10 cents a minute,,
MSNBC, FREE
NFL prime,, 100 USD per seat per game

Paslode
08-15-2013, 07:48
I agree with the bazillion trash channels,, but fear that un-bundiling will not save a penny for the SELECT home owner..

What they will do is scale the price of each channel..

Telemundo 10 cents a yr,, free with your SNAP food card
FOX news,, 10 cents a minute,,
MSNBC, FREE
NFL prime,, 100 USD per seat per game

It's been about 3 years since we cancelled Direct TV and I have not missed any of the 'News' or sporting stuff. We had hundreds of channels too choose from and we probably watched 7-10. After that it has been Hulu Plus and Netflix, since then RedBox and Amazon Prime have become available and recently I have found some old shows on YouTube.

jbour13
08-15-2013, 16:59
The very reason I cancelled cable/satellite a few years ago and went with Netflix / HuluPlus.

The wife did just this while I was deployed last year and this year. I have never enjoyed watching TV and I'm very selective in what I actually see (nature shows are about my limit of sanity). We pick and choose what we see and I average about 5 hours of TV watching on HULU and Netflix per month, she gets a little more out of it. The occasional movie is watched from my HD or DVD.

I don't miss it, nor do I miss the $145 bill each month.

I won't shed a tear for a racket being pushed out. Sad that it may affect good hard working people, but the corporations can suck it.

Sigaba
08-15-2013, 22:04
FWIW, Ms. Martin's report is attached to this post. IMO, it makes a slightly more complicated argument than suggested in the piece linked in the OP. YMMV.