PDA

View Full Version : Lawmakers Skeptical of Global Spec Ops Plan

BMT (RIP)
08-11-2013, 13:52
http://www.defensenews.com/article/20130810/DEFREG02/308100007/Lawmakers-Skeptical-Global-Spec-Ops-Plan

BMT

The Reaper
08-11-2013, 19:17
Maybe the Navy really doesn't know best.

TR

Trapper John
08-11-2013, 20:00
TR-

I take it from your reply that you are skeptical if not outright opposed to the ADMs global SOF command initiative? From a 30,000 foot level this idea seems to make sense to me. Especially considering the interconnected, asymmetric nature of conflicts, and as discussed elsewhere the emergence of the Human Domain as the new battlefield.

I recognize that lots of apparently good ideas in theory cannot be implemented or have fatal flaws at the operational level. What do you see as the problems with the ADM's plan?

The Reaper
08-11-2013, 20:31
Personally, I think the plan reads like it was written by a DA-centric, surgical strike command with a lot of emphasis on the dark side, when what we appear to be moving toward is a more FID-oriented engagement strategy which relies upon the cooperation of the theaters and the HNs.

Human domain remains primarily the realm of SF and some special units, despite what some would have you believe.

Finally, I would expect that the leadership of a joint command be primarily the responsibility of the branch with the preponderence of the forces, especially the ones with the ground combat experience.

But that is just me....

TR

Trapper John
08-11-2013, 21:00
I didn't see the DA centric focus, but then again I am not seeing the same material you've been reading. Given that the plan is coming from McRaven I'm not surprised at the DA centric focus. But given the refocusing of SOF mission on FID and operations in the Human Domain, I would expect that the command will come from SF for the reason you stated. Or is that just naive, wishful thinking?

Nevertheless, having a global SOF command structure and support infrastructure in place including the TSOCs and regional combatant commanders makes a great deal of sense to me. Just define the mission and it becomes plug-and-play.

JMO