PDA

View Full Version : Politically Correct Lunacy

cbtengr
08-03-2013, 16:08
How about a thread that encompasses half baked decisions made at any level of government in regards to political correctness or protecting us from ourselves.
There should be no shortage of them out there.

Seattle Washington,
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2383814/Bureaucrats-ban-list-phrases-including-citizen-avoid-insulting-immigrants-brown-bag-considered-racist.html

I must have led a very sheltered life as I have never been exposed to the term brown bag in the way that it has been defined here.

JHD
08-03-2013, 16:24
Political correctness on steroids. How has this stupidity gone so far?

I had never heard the term brown bag either used in the manner described in the article either.

Flagg
08-03-2013, 16:33
As a kid, my mom put my lunch in a brown bag.

As a kid, the first recycled product I recall were brown bags.

As an adult, I would consider "brown bagging" an expression that could be used to signify frugality and financial discipline...which I personally consider a positive trait running against the consumer lemming tide.

I wonder if the term "debt slave" will be deemed racist and offensive, especially in light of the rising number of them?

Paslode
08-03-2013, 16:42
It won't be long before crayons have no color label or are banned all together.

On the same note we had several McD's in the área where employees took offense to the reference of black coffee or coffee black.

I am happy to report that recently these individuals are no longer working at these locations and the Drive thru line has quite a few more cara waiting.

alelks
08-03-2013, 16:59
So they should start calling their elected officials "Worthless Pieces of Shit in charge of ..............". I mean calling them officials may insult someone that doesn't have a title and "Worthless Pieces of Shit" fits better anyway.

I'm just sayin..............

alelks
08-03-2013, 17:03
It won't be long before crayons have no color label or are banned all together.

On the same note we had several McD's in the área where employees took offense to the reference of black coffee or coffee black.

I am happy to report that recently these individuals are no longer working at these locations and the Drive thru line has quite a few more cara waiting.

Do they prefer "Negro" coffee, or "African American Coffee" or "Colored Coffee".

I mean if you can relate "Black Coffee" to a race which is ignorant to say the least what do they want to call it.

If that's the case we need to also ban the word "Nigga" or "Nigga Please". You see where this is going. If "Black" offends you stop using the word "Nigga". I can guarantee you some of the ones complaining use it on a daily basis.

OK, I'm off my soap box now. :p

Paslode
08-03-2013, 17:18
Do they prefer "Negro" coffee, or "African American Coffee" or "Colored Coffee".

I mean if you can relate "Black Coffee" to a race which is ignorant to say the least what do they want to call it.

If that's the case we need to also ban the word "Nigga" or "Nigga Please". You see where this is going. If "Black" offends you stop using the word "Nigga". I can guarantee you some of the ones complaining use it on a daily basis.

OK, I'm off my soap box now. :p

There persons in question would often say 'You mean a dark coffee' .

Response: Yes, I want a BLACK coffee thanks.

Fuck'em

alelks
08-03-2013, 17:20

Fuck'em

That's when you say, yea but really dark. I want it so dark it's Black. :lifter

By the way I'm surprised the settled on dark. I guess they've never heard of the term "Darkie". I guess they get to pick and choose though.

Paslode
08-03-2013, 20:57

By the way I'm surprised the settled on dark. I guess they've never heard of the term "Darkie". I guess they get to pick and choose though.

My thoughts exactly.

alelks
08-03-2013, 21:27
Oh I'm just waiting for the politically correct crowd to ban "Black Friday" or complain about the bug repellant "Black Flag".

So does this mean we should rename Black history month to "Dark history month"?

I know let's rename the NAACP to NAADP. :D

When will the madness stop. :confused:

TacOfficer
08-03-2013, 21:31
I've noticed in my endeavors, it's only racist if someone they disagree with says it. Any often the "offended" individual is racist themselves.

There's a wee bit of flexible tolerance, have I mentioned the hypocrisy?

Guy
08-03-2013, 22:04

OK, I'm off my soap box now.

Fuck'em

Oh I'm just waiting for the politically correct crowd to ban "Black Friday" or complain about the bug repellant "Black Flag".

So does this mean we should rename Black history month to "Dark history month"?

I know let's rename the NAACP to NAADP. :D

When will the madness stop. :confused:

I almost spit my "black" coffee with "white" cream & sugar out.:D

Sdiver
08-03-2013, 22:09

AKA ... a "Regular Coffee".

alelks
08-03-2013, 22:14

Guess I'll have to stop calling those things I get occasionally on my face "Black Heads".

I think I'll complain about the next Macy's or JC Penny White Sale. I'm offended as there were white slaves back then also and I am very sensitive about that.

Actually I think the government should pay me reparations due to my pain and suffering.

Yea, that sounds just as stupid as another race that likes to use it but I'm white so I don't count.

Sorry guys! I'm just tired of all this VICTIM mentality and the majority of it comes form individuals who have gotten handouts for a generation or more and are too damn lazy to get off their ass and set some goals and achieve something in their lifetime.

I call BULL SHIT!

Paslode
08-04-2013, 06:36
Sorry guys! I'm just tired of all this VICTIM mentality and the majority of it comes form individuals who have gotten handouts for a generation or more and are too fantage lazy to get off their fantage and set some goals and achieve something in their lifetime.

I call BULL fantage!

Victim mentality is part of it, but there are a few other things that come to mind as well.

If we cater to those people (use of 'those people' is considered generalizing and sometimes racist) and allow them to influence what we can or will use as references they have the power to redefine what is what....in this case of coffee what is black, or in the case of a paper bag as to what reference you can use to describe a paper bag or how it is used.

A comment from another forum

It would be interesting how Mr. Bronstein shilled his way into this "job" of promoting guilt and bad feelings.....as well as poor results.

Bronstein is merely a White Jesse Jackson...a pimp of poverty

Like JJ , Bronstein and his Office of Civil Rights don't exist and grow without the ability designate new boogie men.

At present rate it is only a matter of time before we have Word Police at the Federal, State and Local levels issuing fines and incarcerating people for word use.

As for the pedigrees of these two from the Office of Civil Rights:

Elliott Bronstein is the public information officer for the Seattle Office for Civil Rights. He grew up in Winnipeg, Canada, where he studied literature at the University of Manitoba. Prior to joining city government, Bronstein served for 15 years as the editor of The Voice, a monthly newspaper for public housing residents in Seattle and King County.

Jacque Larrainzar is the policy and outreach division manager of the Seattle Office for Civil Rights. She is a Mexican-born lesbian of Basque-Lebanese descent from Mexico City. Larrainzar holds a bachelor of science from the Universidad Iberoamericana, and a post-graduate certificate in music therapy and centered-person counseling from the Gestalt Institute of Psychotherapy.

http://aap.cornell.edu/crp/events/events_details.cfm?customel_datapageid_2742=517692

Elliot Bronsteins Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/elliott.bronstein.3

Where is appears to support Sahar Fathi Official 36th District Democratic Nominee for State Representative:

Sahar Fathi-Policy Analyst, Office of Immigrant and Refugee Affairs - City of Seattle- http://www.linkedin.com/pub/sahar-fathi/54/191/b40

MR2
08-04-2013, 07:40
Why don't we just ban the use of the English language - will that make all these idiots happy?

Paslode
08-04-2013, 07:46
Why don't we just ban the use of the English language - will that make all these idiots happy?

Just be patient, we'll get there ;)

Richard
08-04-2013, 08:33
Seems like much ado about nothing to get bent out of shape over to me - meh.

Where I grew up, we had "sack lunches" or "lunch boxes/lunch pails" (tin or aluminum) or "cafeteria lunches."

Coffee was plain or sweetened or with milk/cream. I drink it plain like my dad always did while my wife has a "vente cappucino non-fat milk extra dry with two sweet-n-lows." :rolleyes:

Times change, sometimes for the better and sometimes not, and we often discover from others that those anecdotally recollected "good ol' days" often weren't all that good for many ffolkes out there when considered in an empirical sense.

Must be a slow kerfluffle day out there if something like this can generate such responses.

YMMV - and so it goes...

Richard

alelks
08-04-2013, 08:39
Seems like much ado about nothing to get bent out of shape over to me - meh.

Where I grew up, we had "sack lunches" or "lunch boxes/lunch pails" (tin or aluminum) or "cafeteria lunches."

Coffee was plain or sweetened or with milk/cream. I drink it plain like my dad always did while my wife has a "vente cappucino non-fat milk extra dry with two sweet-n-lows." :rolleyes:

Times change, sometimes for the better and sometimes not, and we often discover from others that those anecdotally recollected "good ol' days" often weren't all that good for many ffolkes out there when considered in an empirical sense.

Must be a slow kerfluffle day out there if something like this can generate such responses.

YMMV - and so it goes...

Richard

Be careful you said "non-fat milk". Chunky people like me might take offense to that word "fat". :p

PSM
08-04-2013, 09:25

YMMV - and so it goes...

Richard

While, over time, words may evolve, devolve, or fall to the whims of fashion, it has not been by government mandate. At least not in the good ole U. S. of A. Yet.

Pat

ddoering
08-04-2013, 11:09
I'm more disturbed by the fact that they are foreigners and are in positions to force change upon us.

98G
08-04-2013, 11:42

:D

I guess Seattle voters will decide. My guess is much depends on how their economy is supported. Dollars drive many local decisions. If tax paying residents who are not citizens make up a large part of their city revenues, then they will try to accommodate them.

For me, I ask for plain, black coffee when I go out. The barista/waiter/waitress/server invariably asks, "would you like cream and sugar with that?" That irritates me.

Paslode
08-04-2013, 13:13
I'm more disturbed by the fact that they are foreigners and are in positions to force change upon us.

I completely missed the foreigner aspect, good catch..

Paslode
08-04-2013, 13:15
The barista/waiter/waitress/server invariably asks, "would you like cream and sugar with that?" That irritates me.

Just tell them:

No thank you, I am white enough and sweet enough as it is.

98G
08-04-2013, 14:24
Just tell them:

No thank you, I am white enough and sweet enough as it is.

I am not that sweet. :D

I just wish they would listen to what I said. Plain black seems self explanatory. It is that boredom people have with their jobs and the disregard to do the jobs well that is the real irritant.

It extends from the food service industry all the way to the White House. This idea that every day and every action are just another day; just another action. We are inundated with mediocracy.

cbtengr
08-04-2013, 14:26
I completely missed the foreigner aspect, good catch..

Can't call them citizens and they probably do not like to be called foreigner's. In the future please follow the proper guidelines and call them "residents." At least that is what the foreign guy suggested :p .,

Richard
08-04-2013, 18:08
While, over time, words may evolve, devolve, or fall to the whims of fashion, it has not been by government mandate. At least not in the good ole U. S. of A. Yet.

I saw a lot of words banned by 'government mandate' when I was in government service; rightfully so.

Are they? Does anybody know or is that just an assumption because they were born in another country? Might they not be a couple of our country's many 'foreign born' but since 'naturalized' citizens? :confused:

The barista/waiter/waitress/server invariably asks, "would you like cream and sugar with that?"

Just tell them: No thank you, I am white enough and sweet enough as it is.

Doesn't matter from what quarter it appears, a response like that to a straight forward question like the one 98G posited personifies the uncalled for, tacitly practiced form of racism underlying this issue. :(

Richard

ddoering
08-04-2013, 19:05
Are they? Does anybody know or is that just an assumption because they were born in another country? Might they not be a couple of our country's many 'foreign born' but since 'naturalized' citizens? :confused:

Richard

We have many people who claim to be newly minted Americans yet they can't leave their foreign ways behind. Why should I care if a resident may get offended by my American ways? Fuck them. They can go home.

Paslode
08-04-2013, 19:20
[COLOR="lime"]Doesn't matter from what quarter it appears, a response like that to a straight forward question like the one 98G posited personifies the uncalled for, tacitly practiced form of racism underlying this issue. :(

Richard

It's only the issue you make it.

Richard
08-04-2013, 19:33
It's only the issue you make it.

Keep believing that - it is what it is...no matter what you seek to call it. :(

Richard

PSM
08-04-2013, 19:48
I saw a lot of words banned by 'government mandate' when I was in government service; rightfully so.

Richard

In that case, the "government" was your employer. That's "Workplace Compliance" in Newspeak. Our crews at Western Airlines were not allowed to greet Capt. John P. Xxxxxxxx with "Hi Jack"; rightfully so. ;)

As far as I know, in non-broadcast conversation, the Government has not (yet) banned citizens from using certain words or terms.

Pat

GratefulCitizen
08-04-2013, 21:34
It is that boredom people have with their jobs and the disregard to do the jobs well that is the real irritant.

It extends from the food service industry all the way to the White House. This idea that every day and every action are just another day; just another action. We are inundated with mediocracy.

Thought about this when I ran into poor service at a Burger King a few years ago.
The private sector and government are not analogous.

I wanted a cheap burger.
Got what I wanted (eventually...).

Burger King wanted cheap labor.
They got what they wanted.

The employees wanted jobs which didn't hold them to a high standard.

Voluntary transactions.
Everyone got what they wanted.

The problem with government is the fact that transactions are not voluntary.
Involuntary transactions are made backed by the threat of force.

The private sector has built-in self-correction.
Government has built-in self-perpetuation.

badshot
08-04-2013, 22:30
Thought about this when I ran into poor service at a Burger King a few years ago.
The private sector and government are not analogous.

I wanted a cheap burger.
Got what I wanted (eventually...).

Burger King wanted cheap labor.

The employees wanted jobs which didn't hold them to a high standard.

Voluntary transactions.
Everyone got what they wanted.

The problem with government is the fact that transactions are not voluntary.
Involuntary transactions are made backed by the threat of force.

The private sector has built-in self-correction.
Government has built-in self-perpetuation.

That was beautiful man; damn righteous too.

All that crap creates impediments and a bunch of whinning wimps; not helpful to anyone especially the ones whom are 'hurt' all the time.

Sadly, a brother and sister were both infected and never sought counselling; the ramifications were far greater than they'll ever know.

JHD
08-05-2013, 05:59
As to being politically correct, I heard or read, can't remember where, within the last few months at the only person we are not worried about offending somehow is God.

Almost anything and everything someone's says will be found offensive at some point in time by someone. The intent of the speaker should be looked at rather than how the language is interpreted, IMO.

If I ask for a black coffee, it means just that, not that I am asking for a black coffee to express my disdain for someone's skin color; or if I ask for coffee with extra cream because I like it "light" isn't an indication that I prefer white people. People are just plain stupid sometimes.

Paslode
08-05-2013, 07:05
Keep believing that - it is what it is...no matter what you seek to call it. :(

Richard

Don't put on the sad face Richard, what you are saying is not lost on me. However I do believe what I stated as being true and we all see and it hear it daily.

A good example example is the N-Word and all it's variations.

Many would make a choice to be offended if I were to use any of those words, yet many turn right around and find it completely acceptable if another person says them or refers to others with those very same words.

98G
08-05-2013, 07:30
Don't put on the sad face Richard, what you are saying is not lost on me. However I do believe what I stated as being true and we all see and it hear it daily.

A good example example is the N-Word and all it's variations.

Many would make a choice to be offended if I were to use any of those words, yet many turn right around and find it completely acceptable if another person says them or refers to others with those very same words.

Amazingly, there are double standards in this world. Each of us can, though, choose to live up to our own set of standards. In this way, we have no need of any racist terminology, nor do we worry about who "get's to say it" and who does not. It would certainly not make my list. If someone else wants to hold themselves to a different standard, I have no intention to blindly follow.

How many of us were asked by our parents, "If XXX jumped off a bridge, would you?"

So to me, Seattle will decide what Seattle accepts. That is local democracy in action. If they embrace their tax paying residents and give them a voice, that may just be part of America's exceptionalism. If the local citizenry object, a few votes can truly swing local elections.

sinjefe
08-05-2013, 07:37
So to me, Seattle will decide what Seattle accepts. That is local democracy in action. If they embrace their tax paying residents and give them a voice, that may just be part of America's exceptionalism. If the local citizenry object, a few votes can truly swing local elections.

How true. But, by the same token, I can choose not to live in Seattle because of their "policicaly incorrect lunacy" (just as I choose not to live in California and New Engalnd for the same reasons).

98G
08-05-2013, 07:55
How true. But, by the same token, I can choose not to live in Seattle because of their "policicaly incorrect lunacy" (just as I choose not to live in California and New Engalnd for the same reasons).

This Georgia girl agrees. That is the beauty of 50 unique states in the Union. Besides, it rains too much in Seattle and Starbucks over-roasts their beans.

Richard
08-05-2013, 07:57
The sad face is that you seem to see nothing wrong with a response like "I am white enough" to a simple question of cream in a cup of coffee in a discussion about political correctness and language knowing full well the double entendre you intended.

As for others using similar language, it's an issue that, too, is being openly challenged and undergoing change among all sectors of our ever evolving society - however, using a "what's sauce for the goose" argument to attempt to justify a callous remark is even sadder.

I agree with 98G - it's their community to decide for themselves.

Richard

medic&commo
08-05-2013, 08:31
The sad face is that you seem to see nothing wrong with a response like "I am white enough" to a simple question of cream in a cup of coffee in a discussion about political correctness and language knowing full well the double entendre you intended.

As for others using similar language, it's an issue that, too, is being openly challenged and undergoing change among all sectors of our ever evolving society - however, using a "what's sauce for the goose" argument to attempt to justify a callous remark is even sadder.

Richard

The only problem, if any - Is that language sets a precedence for others to follow.
Given the sheeple nature it would be accepted, even if it wasn't desired by those that cared.
m&c

mark46th
08-05-2013, 09:48
Didn't someone once say that political correctness equates to believing it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end?

Paslode
08-09-2013, 08:00

Richard

Intent, perception, and double meanings.

98G's reference to "The barista/waiter/waitress/server" was non-race specific, so for all you know I was poking fun at my own complexion or race and not suggesting I was worthy of preferential treatment.

When the government begins dictating what we can or cannot say, re-defines words and decides what words from the education system...Today it's this word or phrase what will it be tomorrow.

NYC Dept. of Education pushes to ban 50 “forbidden” words from standardized tests

Following is the full list of words that could be banned:

Abuse (physical, sexual, emotional, or psychological)
Alcohol (beer and liquor), tobacco, or drugs
Birthday celebrations (and birthdays)
Bodily functions
Cancer (and other diseases)
Catastrophes/disasters (tsunamis and hurricanes)
Celebrities
Children dealing with serious issues
Cigarettes (and other smoking paraphernalia)
Computers in the home (acceptable in a school or library setting)
Crime
Death and disease
Divorce
Evolution
Expensive gifts, vacations, and prizes
Gambling involving money
Halloween
Homelessness
Homes with swimming pools
Hunting
Junk food
In-depth discussions of sports that require prior knowledge
Loss of employment
Nuclear weapons
Occult topics (i.e. fortune-telling)
Parapsychology
Politics
Pornography
Poverty
Rap Music
Religion
Religious holidays and festivals (including but not limited to Christmas, Yom Kippur, and Ramadan)
Rock-and-Roll music
Running away
Sex
Slavery
Terrorism
Television and video games (excessive use)
Traumatic material (including material that may be particularly upsetting such as animal shelters)
Vermin (rats and roaches)
Violence
War and bloodshed
Weapons (guns, knives, etc.)
Witchcraft, sorcery, etc.

http://www.guns.com/2013/08/08/nyc-dept-of-education-pushes-to-ban-50-forbidden-words-from-standardized-tests/

Richard
08-09-2013, 08:49
Intent, perception, and double meanings.

98G's reference to "The barista/waiter/waitress/server" was non-race specific, so for all you know I was poking fun at my own complexion or race and not suggesting I was worthy of preferential treatment.

I'm sure that is a comment you would not have made to an African American barista asking whether you wanted cream or sugar in your coffee - so the rhetorical question begs itself, if not to such a barista, why at all or why here. Fin.

I was giving the "citizen" vs "resident" issue some thought and, after reflecting on it, find a logical case for Seattle's intent in using the latter over the former, in general terms, when addressing public matters within the confines of its community.

Seattle does not offer citizenship, as far as I know, and there are many residents living in its environs who may not be citizens but do work, pay taxes, and have an influence on the character of the community, as well as its local government and their decision-making. There are also many citizens who are there as work-related temporary residents from other communities and neither pay local taxes (beyond the ubiquitous sales or tourism taxes or such) nor vote in local matters, but still manage to have an influence upon the culture of the community and its leaders.

Just something to think about - but I find the kerfluffle over their decision to use "resident" as much ado aboout doodoo.

Richard

MR2
08-09-2013, 09:15
and besides, some of those 'residents' might actually be legal (including those bused in from Chicago)...

Paslode
08-09-2013, 14:39
I'm sure

And I was sure you would assume as much.

Radar Rider
08-09-2013, 18:10
The absurdities in this situation are absolutely ridiculous. Seattle is a fabulous city, both in its existence and its location. The Space Needle is a marvelous example of both incredible engineering and its existence as a definable landmark.

The re-designation of "brown-bagging" to "sack lunch", however, causes me to wonder if those geniuses are even aware of the double entendre that can be associated with "sack lunch" (or maybe they're just trying to be the San Fran Cisco of the Northwest....).