PDA

View Full Version : Who serves in the military?

BMT (RIP)
07-28-2013, 15:13
http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2013/07/who-serves-in-the-military.php

The comments aren't bad either.

BMT

cbtengr
07-28-2013, 17:25
None of that surprises me. When I graduated HS (in Iowa) the draft was over and if you did not have to go why would you. Decent factory jobs were available for HS grads and I got a very good job at the age of eighteen working at Proctor and Gamble but you might as well have been sending me to prison for eight hours a day. I quit and enlisted in the Army and it was where I belonged. I grew up a lot during the four years that I served. I advanced as far as I could as fast as I could and then I got out. I am glad to hear that it is hard to get into the service, this was not exactly the case right after Vietnam. We do not need soldiers who do not have their hearts and minds in the right place.

hooah12
07-29-2013, 08:51
Not surprised at all, from the people I've worked with this is pretty much exactly what I could've guessed. One of my best NCOs fits the description perfectly. A MSG from the Southeast from a pretty wealthy family who signed up because he wanted to serve and then decided to stay until he wasn't enjoying it anymore. As an 11Z he's still having plenty of fun though.

Definitely a cool article though. Thanks for sharing!

Stargazer
07-29-2013, 10:44
Not surprising in social/economic but some of the individual state ratios were interesting.