PDA

View Full Version : Soldier's parachute deploys, gets sucked out of plane

Sdiver
07-24-2013, 23:06
Being a low down, dirty, stinking, fucking, LEG, the question I have is .... Was that his main or reserve that deployed, and anyone venture a guess as to how it did?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8s3gq29On0&sns=fb

ghp95134
07-24-2013, 23:37
His reserve. If you watch the slo-mo really closely, you see the chute pop in front and go between his legs.

Ghost_Team
07-25-2013, 06:16
Since that was either the safety or the jumpmaster, I guessthat is one way to instill confidence.

"Let me show you just how well this reserve works."

Not exactly the method I would use, but effecctive. Luckily, his position on the bird ensured no one was in his way.

Always protect your ripcord grip. There's a reason for that.

Guymullins
07-25-2013, 07:50
The reserve dumped onto the ramp, looks like it may have had a pilot chute attached which inflated immediately pulling the rest out. The jumper may have caught his ripcord handle on the strut, but he wasnt protecting it, which can be difficult to do when you are doing something that requires both hands. In any case, the opening shock would not be much more than a terminal opening, so I am sure he survived OK.

Richard
07-25-2013, 08:34
GM - the US Army's chest-mounted reserves have a spring-loaded pilot chute to speed up their deployment upon activation.

The locking pins in the reserve under the protective flap can also easily slide loose when they are being jostled about either before or after donning them - one reason I always opened the flap and checked the pins to ensure they were snug in place and had no burrs to impede their deploying before I accepted it, and consciously protected it once donned.

I know these things happen, but in all the years I was on jump status I neither saw nor experienced an accidental reserve activation - even as a cadre member of the 4th Abn Tng Bn/1-507th.

The video is a good reminder to all who join the ranks of paratroopers - "S**t happens!"

Richard

MK262MOD1
07-25-2013, 08:53
The new reserve is very finicky. It utilizes a cloth handle/ flap attached to two curved closing pins.

TrapperFrank
07-25-2013, 09:15
Hope he had a briefcase with a spare ass in it. Because I am sure that after landing, the one he had got chewed off.

longrange1947
07-25-2013, 10:25
The first three rules of a jumpmaster, protect your ripcord, protect your ripcord, and finally protect your ripcord.

Richard, I have seen two, both the fault of the JM. One on the ramp and he ran off as it deployed. One in the door and he first fought it for a milli second before colliding with the trailing edge of the door. Not pretty. I believe another jumper snagged the ripcord on the way out while the JM was controlling the static lines. Brought that jump to an immediate halt. :eek:

Correction, three, I was on a helicopter when a jumper's reserve deployed. but he was inside and we were able to contain the chute.

Guymullins
07-25-2013, 15:51
I saw a Dak with its door peeled back like a sardine can. A jumper of the Rhodesian African Rifles had a reserve deployment in the door. He was extracted violently from the aircraft and in his 90 degree turn out the door, peeled the portside door and rolled it up. Believe it or not, the jumper was unhurt and continued with the contact on the ground. He seemed oblivious that anything out of the ordinary had happened. I suppose that is what the adrenaline in a combat jump can do.

GrumpyMedic
07-25-2013, 21:08
His main was hooked up. Two canopies does not for a good PLF make.....