View Full Version : Smoker suggestions
Divemaster
07-24-2013, 07:40
When it comes to smoking meat I know f*** all. However, I am keen to begin my education. I've done a wee bit of research and think that a Masterbuilt Extra Wide Propane Smoker might fit my needs as a beginner and cover me as I gain confidence and decide I can feed larger backyard crowds. What say ye smokers of yore?
Snaquebite
07-24-2013, 08:02
Here's a little info for you...
Check my two posts here.
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34177
Time/Temp
26033
Edit to add:
Poke around this site
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/f/
Loadsmasher
07-24-2013, 08:22
Snaquebite, and anyone else with an opinion, what do you thing of the Treager (http://www.traegergrills.com/)? My father bought one and loves how easy it is to use but it almost feels like cheating.
Snaquebite
07-24-2013, 08:37
Snaquebite, and anyone else with an opinion, what do you thing of the Treager (http://www.traegergrills.com/)? My father bought one and loves how easy it is to use but it almost feels like cheating.
Never used pellets. (Have a friend who does) While they reportedly work well and are easy to use, I don't think you get the same results as far as flavor. Also something is lost in the whole smoking experience.
Smoking meat forums great web site also you might think about a Weber Smoky Mountain. I have amazed myself when it comes to what I can do on my smoker. The best part about smoking meats is that you are not inventing the wheel it has already been done, if you can read and write you can smoke meat. I think that you may have to keep away from all Craft Beers though if you plan on being proficient :p.
Team Sergeant
07-24-2013, 13:58
IMO it all depends on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go........:munchin
You cooking for just you and family, or do you plan on doing a whole pig sometime?
mark46th
07-24-2013, 15:11
I currently use a Masterbuilt electric smoker (40 inches tall). I bought it because I don't have to watch it when I smoke pork butts, brisket, etc. overnight. It has a digital controller for temp and time. The results have been excellent. It can also be used for cold smoking cheese if desired. Preferred wood is Red Oak...
Depends on whether or not you want to make an event (beer drinking with your buddies) out of smoking. If no, go electric. If yes, traditional. The following link shows some different styles made by a company in Uvalde, TX:
http://www.lyfetyme.com/pits.html
The most common in backyards across Texas are the single and double-lid grills with firebox; not true smokers but use indirect heat.
These are both pretty good sites too, lot a good cooks on this forum.
http://virtualweberbullet.com/
http://tvwbb.com/
craigepo
07-24-2013, 16:45
Orion Orion Orion
Orion Orion Orion
Easiest, fastest smoker in existence. Ever.
As the world's worst cook, if I can smoke ribs, chicken, turkey, pork butts, tri-tip, fish, etc., then there must be something to it.
mark46th
07-25-2013, 08:12
SF-TX - I had one of the Single Lid- side box smokers. It was difficult to control the temperature and keep the heat distributed evenly. It was hotter near the fire box so I had to constantly move the meat around. That's why I went electric...
Orion Orion Orion
Orion Orion Orion
Easiest, fastest smoker in existence. Ever.
As the world's worst cook, if I can smoke ribs, chicken, turkey, pork butts, tri-tip, fish, etc., then there must be something to it.
Bought one on your recommendation and have never regretted it. also have a small conventional offset.
Divemaster
07-26-2013, 02:52
Holy crap! Post a topic and go away for a couple of days and look what happens. Lots of great advice and opinions to sort through.
Divemaster
07-26-2013, 03:00
Here's a little info for you...
Check my two posts here.
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34177
Time/Temp
26033
Edit to add:
Poke around this site
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/f/
Snaquebite- good reference material on the right wood to use. Your brain is scary deep on a wide range of topics. And smokingmeatforums.com is where I first began researching.
Divemaster
07-26-2013, 03:09
IMO it all depends on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go........:munchin
You cooking for just you and family, or do you plan on doing a whole pig sometime?
I won't be heading far down the rabbit hole at all. I'm sure for years to come I'll be a dilettante at best. Backyard stuff, friends & family. Not looking to go pro or win awards.
Divemaster
07-26-2013, 03:16
Smoking meat forums great web site also you might think about a Weber Smoky Mountain. I have amazed myself when it comes to what I can do on my smoker. The best part about smoking meats is that you are not inventing the wheel it has already been done, if you can read and write you can smoke meat. I think that you may have to keep away from all Craft Beers though if you plan on being proficient :p.
To me proficient means first, not poisoning my guests and second, producing something decent that might bring them back for more. However, I'm not sure what this craft beer is that you speak of. Sounds intriguing and something that perhaps would pair well with smoked dead animals. :D
Divemaster
07-26-2013, 03:18
As the world's worst cook.
And your advice is helpful how? :D
I do not know if this fits for you or not, your choice of course.
My experience in starting up was with a cheap charbroil offset smoker. I then took the time to modify it to be very efficient. It did not cost me a ton of money and was a really fun learning experience in cooking and understanding the thermal movement of smoke and heat. It was recommended to me to start out cheap to learn and then work my way up. I do not regret the route I took. It required some work with sheet metal and a little bit of welding. The welding does not have to be done; you can use nuts and bolts or rivets. I like to take pride in the things I do, it was a great way to do it. (For me)
For all my long term smoking days I prefer a strong IPA with a firm bite. But that’s just me. ;)
Here is a number of great threads on the charbroil mods. I would also recommend building a chaser box. It’s another great project and will last forever.
http://forums.charbroil.com/index.php?topic=603.0
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/50863/char-broil-silver-smoker-mods
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132008
Divemaster
08-12-2013, 14:23
Getting closer to pulling the trigger. After much research I'm leaning heavily towards this one: http://www.basspro.com/Masterbuilt-Extra-Wide-Propane-Smoker/product/10219561/
I think it is small enough to start with, but big enough to where I probably won't out grow it.
Team Sergeant
08-12-2013, 15:09
Getting closer to pulling the trigger. After much research I'm leaning heavily towards this one: http://www.basspro.com/Masterbuilt-Extra-Wide-Propane-Smoker/product/10219561/
I think it is small enough to start with, but big enough to where I probably won't out grow it.
After getting divorced I purchased a Master Built Smoker (http://www.samsclub.com/sams/electric-smoker/prod7080346.ip?pid=_CSE_Google_PLA_Smokers,%20Frye rs%20&%20Steamers&CAWELAID=730010300000085044%26catargetid%3D7300103 00000000078%26cadevice%3D%7bdevice%7d&cagpspn=pla) and it's been good so far..... I did a tri-tip in it yesterday cause I didn't want to turn on the oven in my house (was 107 degrees outside). I did the tri-tip at 190 degrees for 4 hours and it came out perfect. The only problem with the Master Built is keeping an accurate temp, mine runs 10 degrees too hot. But so far it's done the job ! Whatever you purchase make sure you get a matt to place in front of it and maybe a table to set it on.
Ambush Master
08-12-2013, 17:05
Getting closer to pulling the trigger. After much research I'm leaning heavily towards this one: http://www.basspro.com/Masterbuilt-Extra-Wide-Propane-Smoker/product/10219561/
I think it is small enough to start with, but big enough to where I probably won't out grow it.
Are you sure you want a Propane unit and not Electric?? I've got one of these: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home-Cabin/Food-Processing/Smokers-Accessories%7C/pc/104798880/c/104723280/sc/104582880/Cabelas-Premium-Electric-Smoker/732447.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fsmoke rs-accessories%2F_%2FN-1101300%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104582880%3FWTz_l%3DGHome%253Bcat1056 29580%253Bcat104723280&WTz_l=GHome%3Bcat105629580%3Bcat104723280%3Bcat104 582880
and I can use Charcoal if Power is down!!
Later
Martin
Divemaster
08-12-2013, 20:17
After getting divorced I purchased a Master Built Smoker (http://www.samsclub.com/sams/electric-smoker/prod7080346.ip?pid=_CSE_Google_PLA_Smokers,%20Frye rs%20&%20Steamers&CAWELAID=730010300000085044%26catargetid%3D7300103 00000000078%26cadevice%3D%7bdevice%7d&cagpspn=pla) and it's been good so far..... I did a tri-tip in it yesterday cause I didn't want to turn on the oven in my house (was 107 degrees outside). I did the tri-tip at 190 degrees for 4 hours and it came out perfect. The only problem with the Master Built is keeping an accurate temp, mine runs 10 degrees too hot. But so far it's done the job ! Whatever you purchase make sure you get a matt to place in front of it and maybe a table to set it on.
I've heard that with the Masterbuilts you pretty much need a separate thermometer. Other recommendations include using a cast iron skillet as a wood pan.
Divemaster
08-12-2013, 20:21
I think I'll be comfortable with propane. When the power does go down for a few days, as it does every winter in Western Washington, I can drive on without changing anything.
Besides, the wife bought herself an XDs .45 last week so the price is right on the Masterbuilt.
Are you sure you want a Propane unit and not Electric?? I've got one of these: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home-Cabin/Food-Processing/Smokers-Accessories%7C/pc/104798880/c/104723280/sc/104582880/Cabelas-Premium-Electric-Smoker/732447.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fsmoke rs-accessories%2F_%2FN-1101300%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104582880%3FWTz_l%3DGHome%253Bcat1056 29580%253Bcat104723280&WTz_l=GHome%3Bcat105629580%3Bcat104723280%3Bcat104 582880
and I can use Charcoal if Power is down!!
Later
Martin