PDA

View Full Version : The SOF K-9 Memorial Foundation to Honor Fallen Canines

Team Sergeant
07-23-2013, 11:25
The SOF K-9 Memorial Foundation to Honor Fallen Canines at Airborne & Special Operations Museum

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. -At 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, July 27, the Special Operations Forces (SOF) K-9 Memorial Foundation will host a statue unveiling and celebration at the Airborne and Special Operations Museum to memorialize the bravery and dedication of the Special Operations K-9 Soldier.

The memorial is a life-sized, bronze statue of a Belgian Malinois dressed in full combat gear. The Belgian Malinois is smart, like the German shepherd, but has shorter hair and handles heat better.

This will be the only memorial specifically dedicated to special operations K-9s in the world. Surrounding the statue are 58 paver stones listing the names of the dogs that were Killed In Action (KIA). "Like their human counter-parts, Special Operations Multi Purpose Canines (MPC) are specially selected, trained and equipped to serve in roles not expected of the traditional Military Working Dog (MWD)," said Chuck Yerry, President of the SOF K-9 Memorial Foundation. "Truly daring and brave, these dogs often lead their Soldier team-members in the most dire conditions to save lives and complete the mission."

The memorial is on the Parade Field with paver stones created from North Carolina granite. Each stone bears the name, country of origin and year a Special Operations dog was killed.

http://sofk9memorial.com/statue_unveiling__celebration-1

If you want to Donate (http://sofk9memorial.com/to_donate)

jbour13
07-23-2013, 20:37
Very glad to see this. Many lives have been saved by those furry damn ass-biters.

Not just another Soldier to me. The most loyal brand we've been exposed to.

I'll see about attending the dedication.

Pete
07-26-2013, 04:18
Out & About: Celebration at Airborne & Special Operations Museum to honor unsung heroes

http://fayobserver.com/articles/2013/07/26/1270526?sac=fo.life

"In times of war, there are often unsung heroes, service members whose praises rarely get sung.

In this case, those unsung heroes are dogs.

On Saturday at 10 a.m., there will be a celebration of those heroes at the Airborne & Special Operations Museum. A new memorial will be dedicated to honor Special Operations Forces K9s killed in action while serving with American soldiers.

Later in the day, there will be a SOF K9 Memorial Concert fundraiser at Huske Hardware House featuring patriotic rock band Madison Rising.

The concert is 5 to 9 p.m. in the parking lot behind Huske Hardware House on Hay Street....................."

mconneway
07-30-2013, 07:54
I did not get to attend, as I was out of town, but I heard this was a top-shelf event. Many more folks showed up than were expected, according to a couple of guys from our office that made it out.

Awesome to see that the memorial has our K-9 camera system on it. Although it is insignificant to the memorial itself, I'm glad to be reminded that our stuff is out there potentially helping to save lives. It is humbling to have had any part in providing aid to these boys and their beasts of war.

Should you need anything from us, feel free to contact me (info is in my profile).

Much respect,
Mark

mark46th
07-30-2013, 08:28
I knew the K-9's were having an impact when the Taliban started complaining about their use. God Bless our K-9's and their handlers...