PDA

View Full Version : Veteran owned craft breweries, wineries, distilleries


Divemaster
07-16-2013, 23:57
All,

I am interested in collecting a list of:

1. Craft beer breweries owned or partly owned by U.S. military veterans of any service.
2. Craft beer breweries where the brewmaster is a U.S. military veteran of any service.
3. Wineries meeting criteria in 1 or 2.
4. Craft distilleries meeting criteria in 1 or 2.
Obviously the term brewmaster is replaced with the appropriate term for 3 and 4.

Stories of veterans succeeding or just starting in business are of great interest to me and the craft beer business is as well. I have a decent list so far of the craft breweries but I would like to see all answers here as dozens must be missing from my list.

Perhaps we can give them some business.

Here's my list (so far) of veteran owned craft beer breweries and wineries. A couple were not yet open when I began compiling this list months ago. I'm sure more are out there, we just have to find them.

If any of these are located near you please drop in for a pint and support your veteran entrepreneurs. :lifter

As of 11 NOV 2015
14th Star Brewing Co. St. Albans, VT
Aiken Brewing Company Aiken, SC
Bayou Teche Brewing Arnaudville, LA
Bhima Brewery Launching Soon Northern, VA
Big River Brewing Company Chattanooga, TN
Big Sky Brewing Missoula, MT
Black Horse Pub & Brewery Clarksville & Knoxville, TN
Bluejacket Brewing Washington, DC
Bravo Zulu Brewing Williamsburg, MI
Brotherhood Brewing Company Livermore, CA
Cavalry Brewing Oxford, CT
Chain O Lakes Brewing McHenry, IL
Diamond Bear Little Rock, AR
Fort Street Brewery Lincoln Park, MI
Founding Fathers Brewing Co Orono, MN
Heritage Brewing Co. Manassas, VA
Huske Hardware House Fayetteville, NC
Jedburgh Brewing Company Occupied Pineland
Mad Bomber Brewing Hayden, ID
Meerkat Brewing San Antonio, TX
NOLA Brewing New Orleans, LA
Orlando Brewing Orlando, FL
Pikes Peak Brewing Co Monument, CO
Railhouse Brewery Aberdeen, NC
Red Leg Brewing Company Colorado Springs, CO
Rust Belt Brewing Company Youngstown, OH
Scars & Stripes Brewery Waco, TX
Service Brewing Savannah, GA
Sound Brewery Poulsbo, WA
The Top of the Hill Brewery & Restaurant Chapel Hill, NC
Triple S Brewing Company Colorado Springs, CO
Vail Brewing Company Vail, CO
Valholl Brewing Poulsbo, WA
Vandalia Brewery Martinsburg, WV
Washougal Brewing Camas, WA
Young Veterans Brewing Virginia Beach, VA


Wineries- as of 18 AUG 2013
Adams County Winery
Blanchard Family Wines
Cross Creek Groves
Fredericksburg Winery
Grasso Vineyard
Indian Creek Winery
McClean Vineyards
Mercer Estates
Muir's Legacy
Murphy Vineyards
Orrin Vineyards
Proud To Serve Winery
River City Winery
Romano Vineyard & Winery
Savoy-Lee Winery
Taylor Family Vineyards
Valor Winery

Distilleries-as of 11 NOV 2015
4 Spirits Distillery Adair Village, OR
Leadslingers Whiskey Moore, OK
Willie's Distillery Ennis, MT

rubberneck
07-17-2013, 11:22
The Tun Tavern in Atlantic City is owned and operated by a USMC veteran and their beers are really good.

http://tuntavern.com/

uspsmark
07-17-2013, 11:27
Did a quick Google search for "veteran owned brewery" and got quite a few hits. Don't know if you have done so already, but that's a good place to start.

Aequitas
07-17-2013, 12:06
Only a few days left on their Kickstarter campaign! Check these guys out! They are legit...

This brewery is a new start up by a friend within the community that makes some awesome craft beer! He has been making beer for a long time and this place is going to kick ass! Check out the website www.heritagebrewing.com and if you feel like supporting go to their kickstarter page...you might even qualify for some kill swag!

longrange1947
07-17-2013, 14:29
The Tun Tavern in Atlantic City is owned and operated by a USMC veteran and their beers are really good.

http://tuntavern.com/

You heard about the Tun Tavern of old right? Great article in the Dufflebag, sent it to all my former Marine buddies. I am now on their s**t list. :D

Divemaster
07-17-2013, 15:26
Did a quick Google search for "veteran owned brewery" and got quite a few hits. Don't know if you have done so already, but that's a good place to start.

Did that months ago, hence my decent list so far which is over 20. Looking for personal knowledge that goes beyond Google-fu.

Divemaster
07-17-2013, 15:29
Only a few days left on their Kickstarter campaign! Check these guys out! They are legit...

This brewery is a new start up by a friend within the community that makes some awesome craft beer! He has been making beer for a long time and this place is going to kick ass! Check out the website www.heritagebrewing.com and if you feel like supporting go to their kickstarter page...you might even qualify for some kill swag!

Added to the list. Thanks! *with a caveat. Can't see where on their website they say anything about being veterans.

Divemaster
07-17-2013, 15:37
The Tun Tavern in Atlantic City is owned and operated by a USMC veteran and their beers are really good.

http://tuntavern.com/

Added to the list. Thanks! I'll send Rick to check it out to earn his cross thread points.

MFF3705
07-17-2013, 16:55
Check out Willie's Distillery in Ennis, MT. Your hosts - Willie Blazer (SFA Chapter 28) and co-proprietress, his bride, Robin...Damn fine folks.

http://williesdistillery.com/

I just consigned 10 gallons (60 bottles) of bourbon. It's delicious.

Aequitas
07-17-2013, 17:58
Added to the list. Thanks! *with a caveat. Can't see where on their website they say anything about being veterans.

They're keeping it low key...

uspsmark
07-17-2013, 21:13
Did that months ago, hence my decent list so far which is over 20. Looking for personal knowledge that goes beyond Google-fu.

I figured your Google-fu was more than adequate! :D My original post in response was much funnier, but it appeared that the TS deleted the post I was referring to, so I edited it!

chance
07-18-2013, 01:12
MBRoland outside of Fort Campbell is owned by a former Army Captain.

Divemaster
07-18-2013, 21:05
They're keeping it low key...

* removed. Thanks.

Divemaster
07-18-2013, 21:23
Check out Willie's Distillery in Ennis, MT. Your hosts - Willie Blazer (SFA Chapter 28) and co-proprietress, his bride, Robin...Damn fine folks.

http://williesdistillery.com/

I just consigned 10 gallons (60 bottles) of bourbon. It's delicious.

I might be willing to add them to the list for one of those bottles. :D

Divemaster
07-18-2013, 21:25
MBRoland outside of Fort Campbell is owned by a former Army Captain.

Added. http://mbrdistillery.com/About_Us.php

Divemaster
07-24-2013, 07:11
Because I am a huge fan of veteran entrepreneurs, I will post my own list of vet owned breweries soon. However, as I am getting ready to begin a new contract I can only promise to do this as time allows. Hopefully this will be within the next week. Stay tuned.

psherlin
08-09-2013, 12:09
Diamond Bear Brewery is owned by Russ Melton, he is retired Army. Spent time in Germany and fell in love with German beer, now goes by the 1516 German purity standards with his beers. Will be moving from Little Rock to North Litter Rock and increasing in size by October. Started in 1999 and has won six national and international awards for his beers. I am a tour guide for him.

TheShootist
08-09-2013, 14:57
Pikes Peak Brewing (http://pikespeakbrewing.com/) in Monument, CO is owned by a former Army Captain. Killer IPA with plenty of good malty, dark beers.

mangler
08-10-2013, 12:27
http://4spiritsdistillery.com


Owned by a brother I served with, named in honor of four brothers who gave all. Their bourbon is top shelf, the vodka isn't half bad if you're a vodka drinker. It reminds me more of a potato vodka. In the next year he'll be coming out with a rum as well.

bjm300
08-10-2013, 22:27
Huske Hardware House Restaurant and Brewery in Fayetteville, North Carolina is owned by a retired Army Officer, Josh Collins.

http://huskehardware.com

Divemaster
08-11-2013, 21:40
Diamond Bear- yep, already on the list.
Huske Hardware House- ditto & been there. Great beer.
Pikes Peak- New addition to the list. Thanks!

4Spirits- Added. Thanks!

Divemaster
08-11-2013, 22:17
Edit- List moved to Post #1

Team Sergeant
08-12-2013, 10:57
We have another!!! Top of the Hill Restaurant & Brewery

http://thetopofthehill.com/




From Scott Maitland:

I am a West Point graduate class of '88. Served with 8th Engineers, 1st Cav during the first Gulf War.

I started Top of the Hill Restaurant & Brewery in 1996 and Top of the Hill Distillery (makers of TOPO vodka, gin and whiskey) in 2012.


Cheers!

Scott Maitland
Proprietor
Top of the Hill Restaurant, Brewery & Distillery

Divemaster
08-12-2013, 14:16
Added and list updated. TS, could/should we make the list the first post of this thread? I can keep updating it as we make new discoveries.

We have another!!! Top of the Hill Restaurant & Brewery

http://thetopofthehill.com/




From Scott Maitland:

I am a West Point graduate class of '88. Served with 8th Engineers, 1st Cav during the first Gulf War.

I started Top of the Hill Restaurant & Brewery in 1996 and Top of the Hill Distillery (makers of TOPO vodka, gin and whiskey) in 2012.


Cheers!

Scott Maitland
Proprietor
Top of the Hill Restaurant, Brewery & Distillery

Team Sergeant
08-12-2013, 14:38
Added and list updated. TS, could/should we make the list the first post of this thread? I can keep updating it as we make new discoveries.

Good idea, you can cut and paste the list there if you like.

BTW Scott Maitland owner of "Top of the Hill Restaurant, Brewery & Distillery" is about to register here.... ;)

Divemaster
08-12-2013, 20:25
List moved. I'll bet Scott can contribute a ton of craft beer knowledge, looking forward to him coming on board.

Good idea, you can cut and paste the list there if you like.

BTW Scott Maitland owner of "Top of the Hill Restaurant, Brewery & Distillery" is about to register here.... ;)

gagners
08-18-2013, 14:57
Glad to see my brewery made the list!

Member here since 2007, although attendance has been light since returning from AFG, starting brewery, taking command, new baby, etc etc etc.

If any of you are in NW Vermont, swing on in for one on me. (steve (at) 14thstarbrewing.com)

Cheers!

Steve

JSMosby
08-18-2013, 18:28
Romano Vineyard and Winery - owned and operated by a fellow Brother Joe Romano - located outside of DC in PG County Maryland.

http://www.romanowinery.com/

Divemaster
08-18-2013, 23:43
Glad to see my brewery made the list!

Member here since 2007, although attendance has been light since returning from AFG, starting brewery, taking command, new baby, etc etc etc.

If any of you are in NW Vermont, swing on in for one on me. (steve (at) 14thstarbrewing.com)

Cheers!

Steve

Steve, it's great to see a craft brewer (and veteran) drop by this thread. I'll have to make my way on over someday and take you up on your offer.

Divemaster
08-18-2013, 23:45
Romano Vineyard and Winery - owned and operated by a fellow Brother Joe Romano - located outside of DC in PG County Maryland.

http://www.romanowinery.com/

Added to the list. Thanks!

Divemaster
08-18-2013, 23:51
A list of veteran owned wineries has been added to the first post in this thread. If anyone knows of any more, please let me know.

Edit: The list (breweries only so far) has been updated with locations. Some of these are still in the planning stages and not open yet. Conduct your own due diligence.

uspsmark
08-21-2013, 12:34
Iraq vets brewing 'freedom' in their craft beers (http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/08/21/iraq-vets-brewing-freedom-in-their-craft-beers/?intcmp=HPBucket)

Divemaster
08-21-2013, 16:14
Iraq vets brewing 'freedom' in their craft beers (http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/08/21/iraq-vets-brewing-freedom-in-their-craft-beers/?intcmp=HPBucket)

Awesome! And we already have them on the list. :lifter

uspsmark
08-22-2013, 08:54
Awesome! And we already have them on the list. :lifter

I'm going to be over that way next month, I'll see if they are open and give them a visit and report. :)

Divemaster
08-22-2013, 12:25
I'm going to be over that way next month, I'll see if they are open and give them a visit and report. :)

Awesome. Brewery/beer reviews are always welcome. Feel free to post it on the Thirsty Warrior FB page too.

Divemaster
10-31-2015, 13:53
I can't believe it's been over two years since the list was updated. Next year it looks like we can add San Antonio based Meerkat Brewing to the list. Do any QPs here know the owner?

Meerkat's website: http://bit.ly/1Mzs08Q

Meerkat's FB page: http://on.fb.me/1WnuGuF

VVVV
10-31-2015, 15:16
http://4spiritsdistillery.com


Owned by a brother I served with, named in honor of four brothers who gave all. Their bourbon is top shelf, the vodka isn't half bad if you're a vodka drinker. It reminds me more of a potato vodka. In the next year he'll be coming out with a rum as well.

I've never had a bottle of 80 proof make it to my top shelf! :munchin

Razor
10-31-2015, 16:18
Steve Stowell (former 10SFG) opened Triple S Brewing a couple weeks ago in downtown Colorado Springs.

Divemaster
10-31-2015, 16:31
Steve Stowell (former 10SFG) opened Triple S Brewing a couple weeks ago in downtown Colorado Springs.

Added to the list. Thanks!

Flagg
11-01-2015, 16:32
Leadslingers is a Veteran owned spirits brand, starting with Whiskey first then moving onto other products down the track:

http://www.leadslingerswhiskey.com

They've also got an online/real world distributed community for drinking mates:

http://www.drinkinbrosonline.com

It's all tied in with the Article 15, Ranger Up, and Black Rifle Coffee Co. veteran owned companies mashup working in cooperative competition.

Good bunch of fellas who've served(some continue to serve) and are working hard to enjoy the American entrepreneurial Dream.

I don't have a stake in it, but I've had the opportunity to spend a lot of time with some of the guys in recent weeks.

-----

Last week I caught up with a friend at the Rock and Brews in El Segundo waiting for my long flight home.

LOTS of local brew and small batch beers to try.

Unfortunately, I didn't find 31 Stout on the menu.

I've heard it's good value and even better than it's necessarily high price:

http://thefullpint.com/beer-news/bayou-teches-31-stout-to-raise-money-for-special-ops-forces-lost-in-afghanistan/

I'll have to look harder for it on my next trip North.

mffjm8509
11-03-2015, 08:14
Vail Brewing Company in Vail, CO is owned by Scotty Harrison from 10th Group.

http://www.vailbrewingco.com

CSB
11-03-2015, 12:40
Blackhorse Brewery in Clarksville, TN (right outside Fort Campbell).
It's where I often eat lunch.

Founded and owned by Jeff Robinson, former Army helicopter pilot.

http://www.theblackhorsepub.net/

Has now expanded into Knoxville, TN.

VVVV
11-03-2015, 17:09
IMO, Craft distillery bourbons are mostly watered down low-proof, under aged, and overpriced.

Barbarian
11-03-2015, 18:03
Service Brewing, in Savannah, Georgia.

x SF med
11-04-2015, 13:53
Mad Bomber Brewing http://madbomberbrewing.com/

Big Sky Brewing (SFA Ch 28 guys) http://bigskybrew.com/

Divemaster
11-11-2015, 13:10
The craft brewery list is updated for Veterans Day (Post #1). If you live close to one, drop in for a pint. Also, there are finally a few distilleries on the list. The winery list needs some work, so any help is appreciated. Why have wine on the list? Well, if it was good enough for the Spartans and the Roman Legions...