PDA

View Full Version : Shhhh ... Be Vewy Vewy Quiet ...

Sdiver
07-16-2013, 18:19
.... We're Hunting Dwones.

Not all of Colorado had gone down the tubes. At least the rural areas have some semblance of sanity left.

Town of Deer Trail considering hunting licenses for unmanned aerial vehicles, bounties for drones

DEER TRAIL, Colo. - The small town of Deer Trail, Colorado is considering a bold move. The town board will be voting on an ordinance that would create drone hunting licenses and offer bounties for unmanned aerial vehicles.

Deer Trail resident, Phillip Steel, drafted the ordinance.

"We do not want drones in town," said Steel. "They fly in town, they get shot down."

Even though it's against the law to destroy federal property, Steel's proposed ordinance outlines weapons, ammunition, rules of engagement, techniques, and bounties for drone hunting.

The ordinates states, "The Town of Deer Trail shall issue a reward of $100 to any shooter who presents a valid hunting license and the following identifiable parts of an unmanned aerial vehicle whose markings and configuration are consistent with those used on any similar craft known to be owned or operated by the United States federal government."

7NEWS Reporter Amanda Kost asked Steel, "Have you ever seen a drone flying over your town?"

"No," Steel responded. "This is a very symbolic ordinance. Basically, I do not believe in the idea of a surveillance society, and I believe we are heading that way."

If passed by the town board, Deer Trail would charge $25 for drone hunting licenses, valid for one year.

"They'll sell like hot cakes, and it would be a real drone hunting license," said Steel, "It could be a huge moneymaker for the town."

Deer Trail resident, David Boyd, is also one of seven votes on the town board.

"Even if a tiny percentage of people get online (for a) drone license, that's cool. That's a lot of money to a small town like us,"said Boyd. "Could be known for it as well, which probably might be a mixed blessing, but what the heck?"

The board will consider the drone hunting ordinance on Aug. 6.

"I'm leaning towards yes," said Boyd. "I'm good with passing it as long as it's safe."

The ordinance specifies that weapons used for engagement of unmanned aerial vehicles would be limited to, "any shotgun, 12 gauge or smaller, having a barrel length of 18 inches or greater." Drone hunting licenses would be issued without a background investigation, and on an anonymous basis. Applicants would have to be at least 21 years old and be able to, "read and understand English."

Deer Trail, Town clerk, Kim Oldfield said, "I can see it as a benefit, monetarily speaking, because of the novelty of the ordinance."

Oldfield said there's talk of promoting the ordinance as a novelty and, "Possibly hunting drones in a skeet, fun-filled festival. We’re the home of the world’s first rodeo, so we could home of the world’s first drone hunt."

"If they were to read it for the title alone and not for the novelty and what it really is, it sounds scary, and it sounds super vigilante and frightening," said Oldfield. "The real idea behind it is it’s a potential fun, moneymaker, and it could be really cool for our community and we’ve needed something to bring us together, and this could be it."

7NEWS asked Deer Trail Mayor, Franks Fields, if he wanted the town to be known for drone hunting.

"Well, I don't know," answered Fields. "I haven't made my decision yet."

"It's all novelty. Do a little drone fest, get people to come out, have fun," Fields explained.

Said Steel, "To him it's a novelty, yes. To me, I'm serious."

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/eastern-plains/town-of-deer-trail-considering-hunting-licenses-for-unmanned-aerial-vehicles-bounties-for-drones

tonyz
07-16-2013, 18:25
I can see it now...drone decoys...drone retrievers...drone blinds !

What's the best way to clean a drone...???

Oldrotorhead
07-16-2013, 19:00
Hunting licenses for unmanned aerial vehicles? Just one more unneeded fee. They are pests and there should be no limit znd no license should be required.

BryanK
07-16-2013, 19:14
I'd buy one and frame it just for laughs. I'm wondering if they'll sell to non-residents?

Pete
07-17-2013, 05:49
Yes

"........Because the ordinance doesn’t limit the licenses to only Deer Creek residents, the town could raise money from people in other states who want the novelty of having an official drone-hunting license..........."

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/07/16/colorado-town-considers-licensing-bounty-hunters-to-shoot-down-drones/#ixzz2ZIowUPIp

I'd get one just to frame and put on the wall.

MR2
07-17-2013, 14:05
How do you know it's a federal drone if you don't shoot it down first?

Hmmm... I wonder if Uncle Putin got any SA-3's he'd be willing to part with.

TOMAHAWK9521
07-17-2013, 21:04

Hmmm... I wonder if Uncle Putin got any SA-3's he'd be willing to part with.

Damn! I knew those SA-7's we dug up in Iraq would come in handy some day. But, NOOOO! We had to turn them in after they were reported. Curses!

Sdiver
07-17-2013, 21:10
Damn! I knew those SA-7's we dug up in Iraq would come in handy some day. But, NOOOO! We had to turn them in after they were reported. Curses!

Riiiiiiiight ..... like you reported ALL of them, you Waskly Wabbit.

Utah Bob
07-18-2013, 09:04
I'm ready for any drones that should pop up over the ranch.
;)

Stobey
07-19-2013, 02:54
The ordinance specifies that weapons used for engagement of unmanned aerial vehicles would be limited to, "any shotgun, 12 gauge or smaller, having a barrel length of 18 inches or greater." Drone hunting licenses would be issued without a background investigation, and on an anonymous basis. Applicants would have to be at least 21 years old and be able to, "read and understand English."

PULL!

JJ_BPK
07-19-2013, 05:27
I'm ready for any drones that should pop up over the ranch.
;)

Me 2!!!

:lifter:D:lifter

Sdiver
07-19-2013, 16:13
This little "venture" has been noticed in DC.

FAA warns public against shooting guns at drones in response to Deer Trail's proposal

WASHINGTON - In response to the town of Deer Trial's proposal to create drone hunting licenses and offer bounties for unmanned aerial vehicles, the Federal Aviation Administration is warning people they can be prosecuted or fined for shooting at drones.

An FAA statement released Friday said firing guns at unmanned aircraft could cause them to crash, injuring people or damaging property.

The proposed ordinates states, "The Town of Deer Trail shall issue a reward of $100 to any shooter who presents a valid hunting license and the following identifiable parts of an unmanned aerial vehicle whose markings and configuration are consistent with those used on any similar craft known to be owned or operated by the United States federal government."

Under the proposal, hunting permits for drones would cost $25 each.

The board is scheduled to consider the ordinance on Aug. 6

7NEWS Reporter Amanda Kost asked Deer Trail resident, Phillip Steel who drafted the ordinance, "Have you ever seen a drone flying over your town?"

"No," Steel responded. "This is a very symbolic ordinance. Basically, I do not believe in the idea of a surveillance society, and I believe we are heading that way."

The FAA said it is responsible for regulating the nation's airspace, including over cities and towns.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/faa-warns-public-against-shooting-guns-at-drones-in-response-to-deer-trails-proposal

Dusty
07-19-2013, 16:39

All the fed drones have the same tail marking: HRC2016.

head
07-19-2013, 16:47
All the fed drones have the same tail marking: HRC2016.

I see what you did there. ;)

MR2
07-19-2013, 16:47
HRC2012 (HRC2012.com)

Dusty
07-19-2013, 17:16
HRC2012 (HRC2012.com)

lol That wasn't the deal. :D

MR2
07-19-2013, 17:18
Well, she's still a drone and we need to shoot her down!

Politically speaking of course...

tonyz
07-28-2013, 12:28
Some really neat video shot from a drone over Niagara Falls at link below.

http://www.lawfareblog.com/2013/07/incredible-footage-of-niagra-falls-taken-from-a-drone/

alelks
07-28-2013, 12:42
Ahhhh, an anti-drone drone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNPJMk2fgJU

tonyz
08-03-2013, 14:10
Micro air vehicles...MAVs

Air Force Bugbot Nano Drone Technology

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z78mgfKprdg&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dz78mgfKprdg

tonyz
11-05-2013, 15:53
ROBOTICS
Palm-Size Drones Buzz Over Battlefield
Discovery.com
NOV 5, 2013 10:15 AM ET // BY ERIC SCHECHTER, LIVESCIENCE

Weighing only 0.56 ounces (16 grams), the Black Hornet looks like a tiny toy helicopter. But it's really a nano-size piece of military hardware unlike anything on the battlefield today -- experimental robot flies and hummingbirds not withstanding.

The PD-100 Black Hornet Personal Reconnaissance System, unveiled to the American public for the first time last week at the Association of the United States Army Expo in Washington, D.C., is a drone (actually, a pair of them) that a soldier can carry and operate as easily as he or she would a radio.

Drones Are The New Delivery Service
You hear the word "drone," you think military. But no more! Drones could soon be synonymous with package delivery! As Anthony tells us, these drones offer nearly instant delivery times and can go anywhere you do.

Since last year, the British infantrymen in Afghanistan have been using the new Black Hornets on a variety of missions -- from scouting routes for possible enemy ambushes to peeking over the walls of a nearby compound. [9 Totally Cool Uses for Drones]

The unmanned air vehicle was designed for small units that required a quick, tactical "stealth" camera in the sky, said Ole Aguirre, vice president of sales and marketing for Prox Dynamics AS, the Norwegian company that produces the Black Hornet.

Indeed, troops working with the Black Hornet say it runs silent and is invisible at more than 30 feet (10 meters). A Brigade Reconnaissance Force sergeant quoted in a U.K. Ministry of Defense announcement said the system is "very easy to operate and offers amazing capability to the guys on the ground."

A complete PD-100 kit comes with two Black Hornets, a docking station for battery recharging, a remote control unit and a mobile device with a 7-inch-wide (18 centimeters) screen to watch the camera feed -- all of which is carried in a tough, waterproof case, for a total weight of almost 3 lbs (1.3 kilograms).

Pulled out of the case and readied for action, the drone follows GPS waypoints to reach its target. Once there, it sends video and still images back to the operator. The Black Hornet can fly for 20 to 25 minutes before needing to recharge, so it's limited to traveling just three-quarters of a mile (1,200 m) in one shot.

Likewise, the Black Hornet is too small to carry a mid-wave infrared (MWIR) camera, so it's not able to do any night-spying. "The smallest MWIR sensor available on the market today is the FLIR Quark, weighing almost two times what our helicopter weighs," Aguirre said.

Still, the U.S. Army examined two Black Hornets in February as part of its Cargo Pocket Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (CPISR) effort. The Army purchased two, but what that means program-wise, they declined to say.

According to Flightglobal, the British military has amassed 324 Black Hornets in its unmanned aerial vehicle arsenal.

<snip>

http://news.discovery.com/tech/robotics/palm-size-drones-buzz-over-battlefield-131105.htm

TOMAHAWK9521
11-05-2013, 18:03
Ahhhh, an anti-drone drone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNPJMk2fgJU

Dear Lord, not that jackass again. It's entertaining to watch as long as the clown with the lousy Rusky accent is muted. Unfortunately, it's impossible to arm such a small platform with the armaments he's claiming. Something about physics.

"I mean, think about it. It's not a matter wing velocity. It's a matter of weight ratios. A 5 ounce swallow cannot carry a 2 pound coconut no matter how fast he flaps his wings. It don't work!" :D

PSM
11-05-2013, 18:13
"A 5 ounce swallow cannot carry a 2 pound coconut no matter how fast he flaps his wings. It don't work!" :D

"It could be carried by an African Swallow!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHFXG3r_0B8) :p

Pat