PDA

View Full Version : How the obama's pay for their family vacations....

Team Sergeant
07-12-2013, 08:41
Outrageous: Pentagon Mulls Cutting Danger Pay for Soldiers Overseas

The Pentagon has a great plan for saving $120 million in what is a cash-strapped government that only spends $3.6 trillion a year. Unfortunately, it comes at the expense of American soldiers serving overseas.

Fox News covered what could turn out to be a real blow to our bravest men and women:

The Pentagon is eyeing plans to eliminate danger pay for service members in as many as 18 countries and five waterways around the world, saving about $120 million each year while taking a bite out of troops’ salaries, The Associated Press has learned.

Senior defense and military leaders are expected to meet later this week to review the matter and are poised to approve a new plan. Pentagon press secretary George Little declined to discuss details but said no final decisions have been made.

Senior military leaders came up with the proposed list of locations in their regions that no longer were perilous enough to warrant danger pay, including several countries in the heart of the tumultuous Middle East, such as Jordan, where hundreds of troops have recently deployed because of the bloody Syrian civil war on its border.

So, we’re not even talking about billions and billions of dollars. The total savings come to only $120 million — the exact amount of the IRS’ $50 million for conferences and goofy videos and $70 million dollars in bonuses combined.

That’s not to mention the roughly $1.5 billion the U.S. sends in foreign aid to Egypt every year; and will continue to send, despite the military coup d’etat of the Muslim Brotherhood-led government (Senator Rand Paul has proposed slashing the aid).

The hazard pay is also less than the value of the four F-16s that are still being sent to Egypt (each worth anywhere from $14 million – $18 million) and an $83 million upgrade of the “Cairo West Air Base.”

Nevertheless, our soldiers serving overseas will face a serious hit to their bottom lines:

Defense officials said the proposal would strip the stipend — which can be up to $225 per month — from as many as 56,000 service members, including thousands stationed in Kuwait, which was a key hub during the Iraq war. It also would affect thousands of sailors who routinely travel through the Persian Gulf region on ships or airmen who fly over the Gulf.

The $225 monthly cut in pay would come regardless of the service member’s base salary, which can range from a low of roughly $18,000 a year for a brand new recruit to a high of nearly $235,000 a year for a four-star general with more than 40 years in the military. Troops also can receive a variety of other allowances for housing, clothing or job specialties.

http://www.ijreview.com/2013/07/64808-outrageous-pentagon-mulls-cutting-danger-pay-for-veterans-overseas/

TrapperFrank
07-12-2013, 08:58
Team Sergeant, this crap makes my blood boil along with the furloughs for the Reserve and National Guard MILTECHS. Dear Leader can take his whole troop to Africa to the tune of $100 million on what amounts to a shopping junket. As you well know, this is just a drop in the bucket....Ugh, have to go take my blood pressure medicine.

RB64
07-12-2013, 08:58
I read this earlier today and the idea of cutting danger pay thoroughly pissed me off. :mad:

Team Sergeant
07-12-2013, 09:03
No democrats were harmed by this decision......

Team Sergeant
07-12-2013, 09:11
And remember, the United States military cannot complain, it's against military law.

I'm sure obama will now go and visit the remaining 8 democrats still serving in uniform and get some basketball pictures......:munchin

Basenshukai
07-12-2013, 09:14
As long as this is well-thought out, I'm fine with it. However, our government is not very adept at "well-thought out". So, I'm looking to be disappointed.

There are many cases where Service Members who - though deployed overseas supporting trigger pullers and others - never work farther than 10 feet from the nearest air conditioned office.

While deployed some time ago (to a country not in USCENTCOM), one of my teams had an element moving, via rotary wing from point A to point B. That aircraft (not US) came under fire and received several impacts along the fuselage. Another team occasionally received rocket attacks to the base they worked out of. Everything was reported up to higher and so forth, based on established procedure, of course.

But, my point is that it makes a lot of sense for those guys to get "Danger Pay". Now, for guys working in the same country, but never leaving the city (the same city where their families - wife/kids - live, work and play everyday), should probably not get "Danger Pay". If we are going to save money, then, that might make sense.

MR2
07-12-2013, 09:23
And then there are Soldiers just doing their job in a mandatory gun-free zone preparing to go into harms way.

No Danger Pay, just obstification of reality. What part of Global War on Terror justifies calling Ft. Hood a "Workplace Violence Incident"?

:mad:

Ghost_Team
07-12-2013, 15:59
I remember gettin HF/IDP while on a JCET to Oman in 2009. I looked at as a perk, but did I really deserve it? The most dangerous parts of the trip were range safety with the HN guys, and then dodging the traffic as I went from our 4 star hotel to the Starbucks across the street while waiting for our air to get unf*cked and get us out of country. Guys in other countries with higher FP threats deserved it more.

Pete
07-12-2013, 16:12
Khobar Towers on 06/24/1996 was a pretty cushy place to hang out.

Not so much on 06/25/1996.

SOGvet
07-12-2013, 17:02
If we are going to save money, then, that might make sense.

YGTBSM.. that's a joke, right?. :rolleyes:

Your CINC is pissing away billiions while simutaneously destroying the backbone of the military, and it makes sense?...

The_Mentalist
07-12-2013, 17:36
Compared to danger pay, this is chicken shat but.... Oscumbags trip to Africa cost 100 million dollars. Yet the troops had their Independence Day festivities cancelled and many bases had their swimming pools shut down. Sorry, but it is more important to me to show our appreciation to our troops and share the reason they are in uniform and putting their lives on the line.

As for locations that are allegedly safe now, they don't exist. The Muslims are invading all of Europe. They are attacking us from within. Don't fuzz with our troops pay!!!!!!

98G
07-12-2013, 19:58
And remember, the United States military cannot complain, it's against military law.

It is up to those of us who are no longer active duty to let our representatives know that this is not how to save money. One of the sad facts of sequestration is that certain buckets of money are program and untouched. Others, including things like tactical medical supplies, are "discretionary" and take the hit. No business would run this way -- or be run into the ground.

I would say that I am amazed by the short-sighted, poor decisions made in our Government lately, but sadly, I am not. It just feels like a new low. :(

Since leadership in this issue is not coming from the CINC, then it has to be directed to Congress.

I agree with Basenshukai that no idea should be off the table to discuss, but there are better places to start than here. A dart thrown blindfolded would hit a better spot to save than this. Is there an ostrich head emoticon we can add?

Basenshukai
07-15-2013, 12:47
YGTBSM.. that's a joke, right?. :rolleyes:

Your CINC is pissing away billiions while simutaneously destroying the backbone of the military, and it makes sense?...

I can't speak for what our current CINC does with the entitlements of his office. While I did not vote for him, nor agree with the vast majority of his policies, nor would I vote for anyone like him, I limit my opinion on what I do know, and that's what I've personally seen during my career.

The fact is that I have seen many folks deployed who spend absolutely ZERO time doing anything but staying in five-star hotels and wearing nice suits. Yet, they get "Danger Pay" while my own guys are in the same country living out of tents near the jungle, occasionally braving your run-of-the-mill cylinder rocket attack, or getting shot at while on a simple admin flight from one place to another. But, to the Army, both sets of folks are running the same risk. Really? That makes sense to YOU?

In that same country, I would occasionally stroll down to the local posh and high-end shopping center and bump into the wives and kids of these office-based Service Members, eating at one of the same restaurants frequented by local soap stars and models just before they traipse over to the VIP movie theater.

So, YES, if the government is going to cut funds for "Danger Pay", I believe that the effective way would be to not do it in a blanket fashion, but to delve into the details of what Service Members are really running risk day in and day out.

But, wait, what if there is a terrorist attack in said country and in said city some day? Wouldn't that prove that all Service Members deserve "Danger Pay" in that area? If this is the logic, then, let's just declare the entire globe (sans the Arctic regions) "Danger Areas". Because, last time I checked, no one serving near lower Manhattan receives "Danger Pay" and that area has been highly visibly attacked in '93 and - obviously - '11.

I remember well (back in 2006, before the criteria for "Imminent Danger Pay" changed) when I was on a Combat Recon Patrol on the Uruzgan Province valley floor - nearest the Chambarak Pass - and observed a "con trail" from what seemed like an Air Force asset of some significant size streak lazily high overhead. Our JTAC pointed up and said, "You know, if those guys are not stationed here, but only fly in the air space, without touching down anywhere in the country, they get the same 'hostile fire pay' that we do and for the entire month." Then, I realized why it was that whenever a "command visit" planned their trip to A-Stan, they would always schedule it for the end of one month, and into the beginning of another. So, they would get the entitlement for both months, though, they only spent maybe 10-days in theater. Meanwhile, we are getting shot at and blown up during the entire same two month period and received the exact same entitlement.

I'm all for getting the benefits we deserve. But, I am also very honest with myself - and others - about how wasteful we can be as an organization.