PDA

View Full Version : Experts: Obama’s plan to predict future leakers unproven, unlikely to work

Team Sergeant
07-10-2013, 09:26
Experts: Obama’s plan to predict future leakers unproven, unlikely to work

By Jonathan S. Landay and Marisa Taylor | McClatchy Washington
Bureau

WASHINGTON — In an initiative aimed at rooting out future leakers and other security violators, President Barack Obama has ordered federal employees to report suspicious actions of their colleagues based on behavioral profiling techniques that are not scientifically proven to work, according to experts and government documents.

The techniques are a key pillar of the Insider Threat Program, an unprecedented government-wide crackdown under which millions of federal bureaucrats and contractors must watch out for “high-risk persons or behaviors” among co-workers. Those who fail to report them could face penalties, including criminal charges.

Obama mandated the program in an October 2011 executive order after Army Pfc. Bradley Manning downloaded hundreds of thousands of documents from a classified computer network and gave them to WikiLeaks, the anti-government secrecy group. The order covers virtually every federal department and agency, including the Peace Corps, the Department of Education and others not directly involved in national security.

Read more here: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2013/07/09/196211/linchpin-for-obamas-plan-to-predict.html#storylink=cpy

Team Sergeant
07-10-2013, 09:31
I'd like to report a federal worker for suspicious activity.

He travels a lot but doesn’t seem to have a reason to do so. He takes his family on frequent and expensive vacations to exotic foreign locations. His position allows him access to classified materials at the highest levels. He has associated with known Islamist terrorists. He has a history of association with convicted domestic terrorists. He seems not to have a real job as he's usually seen playing golf, basketball, or giving fund raising speeches. He claims he has a college education but none of his classmates or professors remember him attending. He has gone to extraordinary effort to hide his past. Plus, the guy just plain creeps me out.

Trapper John
07-10-2013, 09:39
I'd like to report a federal worker for suspicious activity.

He travels a lot but doesn’t seem to have a reason to do so. He takes his family on frequent and expensive vacations to exotic foreign locations. His position allows him access to classified materials at the highest levels. He has associated with known Islamist terrorists. He has a history of association with convicted domestic terrorists. He seems not to have a real job as he's usually seen playing golf, basketball, or giving fund raising speeches. He claims he has a college education but none of his classmates or professors remember him attending. He has gone to extraordinary effort to hide his past. Plus, the guy just plain creeps me out.

BINGO!!! :lifter

JJ_BPK
07-10-2013, 10:14
AND He knows all about SHOOTGUNING...

:eek::D:eek:

Richard
07-10-2013, 10:16
Long sequence of 'precedent' for it here in the 'Land of the Free'...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=1350&bih=677&site=imghp&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=report+suspicious+activity&oq=report+suspicious&gs_l=img.1.0.0j0i24l9.293271.302903.0.305208.17.16 .0.1.1.0.124.1390.11j5.16.0....0...1c.1.19.img.MDV eIRVIrHc

Richard

The Reaper
07-10-2013, 19:50
I told them I would be happy to do that on Fridays, but since I am not a Federal employee on Fridays (or at least not being paid for it anymore) I would have to wait till I am back to work full time.

TR