PDA

View Full Version : Geissele Triggers explained...

MAB32
07-09-2013, 08:56
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypb5HXdDJhc

Choosing the Right Trigger for You - Geissele Automatics and ALG Defense

Peregrino
07-09-2013, 18:52
Most of my toys use his triggers. Personally, I wouldn't have it any other way. The couple that don't will probably get ALGs in the near future. (MOO - not everything needs a two-stage trigger; but everything will benefit from a BG "upgrade".)

koz
07-09-2013, 22:53
Most of my toys use his triggers. Personally, I wouldn't have it any other way. The couple that don't will probably get ALGs in the near future. (MOO - not everything needs a two-stage trigger; but everything will benefit from a BG "upgrade".)

I've got 16 of Bill's triggers. And now one of Bill's wife's (ALG) triggers. It's a nice feeling single stage (at least it's quite a bit better than a GI trigger). It's not a competition single stage but smoother than OEM.

For what it's worth, I own or have owned KAC, Timney, Hogan/POF, Wilson/Chip McCormick, RRA, LMT and a Bill Springfield modified. NONE are as good as a Geissele for precision or combat guns. One can make an argument that the crisp single stage are better 3-gun triggers (even compared to the SD3G). But the SD3G is very quick. I'm not used to the flat trigger though.

MAB32
07-10-2013, 07:55
I am going to get a few of his triggers myself. I just wished he made one for a FAL.

TacOfficer
06-25-2017, 14:25
Just to resurrect a dead thread, I was looking at Geissele and came across this new one : Super Speed Precision (SSP) Geissele Curved Bow

https://geissele.com/super-speed-precision-ssp-geissele-curved-bow.html

I'm required to have a single stage trigger for work, and was thinking of this, it's new for 2017. Currently I have mil-spec and was wondering if it's worth spending the money for a new trigger . Any suggestions for work?

Thanks

JJ_BPK
06-25-2017, 19:15
Just to resurrect a dead thread, I was looking at Geissele and came across this new one : Super Speed Precision (SSP) Geissele Curved Bow

https://geissele.com/super-speed-precision-ssp-geissele-curved-bow.html

I'm required to have a single stage trigger for work, and was thinking of this, it's new for 2017. Currently I have mil-spec and was wondering if it's worth spending the money for a new trigger . Any suggestions for work?

Thanks

Talk to your chief and the local DA. At one time an "altered" weapon was a major No-No. ACLU would eat you alive in a court room.

A good stock, as built, as purchased, weapon should be all you need,, unless your the sniper unit. YMMV

:munchin

TacOfficer
06-25-2017, 22:17
Thank you gentlemen for your replies.

The primary concern regarding triggers within the Dept is trigger stage,must be single and pull 4.5. I've only had stock mil spec that came with the carbine and it feels gritty compared to my pistols. I was curious if a smoother trigger would be practical/appreciable.

Not looking for wiz bang or tacti-cool. BTDT with gear. Got a whole box of that in the basement.

Is it safe to reason: like if it ain't broke, it's good enough?

miclo18d
06-26-2017, 05:36
I have a JP Enterprises single stage in mine. They are adjustable and come with different springs for different pull weights. You have to buy another spring for the mandatory MIL/LE spring weights. I have mine with the competition springs and it's like a 3lb pull. It's very adjustable to your feel and you set the screws with locktite when you get it where you want it, specifically the reset distance (almost nonexistent). It's not a drop it so it requires some work or your armorers work.

https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPFCP-1EZ

TacOfficer
06-26-2017, 09:00
I'll ask our firearms people if there could be any issues. I really appreciate the input.

As I was perusing the geissele website looking at the new MK13 rail 😃, I came across the new trigger and saw that it fit our requirements, so being the guy always looking to improve........

Really appreciate the input. I'll have to try a carbine that has one of these high speed triggers to see if I can appreciate the difference.

frostfire
06-26-2017, 10:44
Really appreciate the input. I'll have to try a carbine that has one of these high speed triggers to see if I can appreciate the difference.

try any Geissele SD3G, AR Gold, JP rolling, etc. and you WILL experience the difference.

The rifle team coach gave great demo for our MTT when he suspended the weight of the rifle just on the mil-spec trigger without the trigger moving. It illustrates that the force you exert on the trigger is more than the weight of the rifle. Thus, how you move the trigger is enough to move the rifle around, more so during recoil/reset as there's less visual feedback then. Furthermore, a smooth, crisp trigger is more conducive to the "surprise bang" before your subconscious can screw the fundamentals via flinching, bucking, anticipation, etc. Likewise, the short reset facilitates follow up shot under solid fundamental before any mental screw ups. Another one that Bill Geissele gave great explanation at length is lock time. It may be millisecond, but basically before any movement off your "acceptable" wobble zone, the bullet already leave the barrel.

In some way, it's a crutch and can be a liability without proper training and getting used to it i.e. I will never use my Geissele national match for patrol rifle with the 2nd stage set at 0.5 lbs and mm worth of reset! Btw, that's why I like combat match because it's a level playing field with everybody struggling with that gritty inconsistent 6 to 9 lbs pull of the select fire trigger. Those who do well in 3 gun using race guns did not bring the same dominance when given issue M4/M16

Brush Okie puts it best with "it will not make the rifle more accurate, but you can use the rifles accuracy more." It allows you to harness the mechanical accuracy off rifle + ammo. You may not see it readily at close i.e 7 yards but even at that distance, if you're blasting at Miculek rate of fire :D you will definitely appreciate the difference

I personally recommend the cost-effective ALG series.

TacOfficer
06-26-2017, 12:06
. I personally recommend the cost-effective ALG series.

This looks promising. Lower $$ commitment :), compared to SSP.

Advanced Combat Trigger (ACT)

https://algdefense.com/alg-combat-trigger-act.html

I'm a big fan of fundamentals, and always look to myself before "crutches". I was humbled years ago when golfing. I had a set of clubs I was thinking of replacing when I asked another golfer for his opinion. He took the driver, smacked the ball over 300yds. The questions ceased and I went back to the driving range.

Peregrino
06-26-2017, 13:06
You will appreciate the ACT. I have two in "play" guns and feel they're the most cost effective upgrade a shooter can make within the constraints of a MILSPEC configuration. MOO - YMMV.

TacOfficer
06-26-2017, 13:30
You will appreciate the ACT. I have two in "play" guns and feel they're the most cost effective upgrade a shooter can make within the constraints of a MILSPEC configuration. MOO - YMMV.

Well here's an update I didn't expect. Our armorers recommended the ACT as being the best upgrade inside the guide lines.

Ok now where's that credit card?

The Reaper
06-26-2017, 19:54
Started with a Williams set trigger, got into the Milazzo-Kreiger, and eventually the Rock River match trigger.

Tried a JARD single stage, I think, that the gunsmith recommended and found that my trigger pull is incompatible with the single stage trigger.

I then found the Geissele SSA and eventually the SSA-E before shooting the Larue MBT-2S. I believe that the SSA is probably 5.5 pounds, and the SSA-E is more like 4.5#. The Larues are just under 3.5 pounds pull.

Recently got a couple of the ACT's, but they are not in the same arena as the Geissele and Larue. Good trigger for the price though, but they are probably 5.5 pound set-ups at best..

With periodic sales for $99, an extremely clean break, and a pound less pull than the SSA-E, Mark Larue has my trigger business.

TR

frostfire
06-27-2017, 20:50
Started with a Williams set trigger, got into the Milazzo-Kreiger, and eventually the Rock River match trigger.

Tried a JARD single stage, I think, that the gunsmith recommended and found that my trigger pull is incompatible with the single stage trigger.

I then found the Geissele SSA and eventually the SSA-E before shooting the Larue MBT-2S. I believe that the SSA is probably 5.5 pounds, and the SSA-E is more like 4.5#. The Larues are just under 3.5 pounds pull.

Recently got a couple of the ACT's, but they are not in the same arena as the Geissele and Larue. Good trigger for the price though, but they are probably 5.5 pound set-ups at best..

With periodic sales for $99, an extremely clean break, and a pound less pull than the SSA-E, Mark Larue has my trigger business.

TR

I could not perceive the weight difference between the Larue and SSA. Perhaps should have used the trigger pull scale.
Also IIRC, the Larue MBT has wider surface? :confused: Works great if one's natural finger placement fall mostly on the pad. Not so great if on the first joint.

But if bought at $99 it's definitely a better bargain compared to the SSA-E and even the ALG ACT

TacOfficer
06-30-2017, 11:05
Update:
Just ordered the ACT from ALG defense. They're having a 4th of July sale, normally $70 sale $55. Couldn't ask for a better price (well free is always best, but this is very reasonable). :lifter:lifter

The Reaper
06-30-2017, 11:38
I could not perceive the weight difference between the Larue and SSA. Perhaps should have used the trigger pull scale.
Also IIRC, the Larue MBT has wider surface? :confused: Works great if one's natural finger placement fall mostly on the pad. Not so great if on the first joint.

But if bought at $99 it's definitely a better bargain compared to the SSA-E and even the ALG ACT

That weight was measured with a trigger scale.

The Larue does seem to have a wider, straighter shaped trigger.

I use the pad of my finger to pull, I can see where using the joint would make for a different experience.

The Larue triggers went away fast on that sale. The scope mounts went on sale recently, too, I think they went pretty quickly.

It pays to be signed up for the Larue emails so you can get on them early.

Agreed on the bargain prices.

TR

Peregrino
06-30-2017, 13:54
Speaking of sales - Geissele is having a 4th of July Sale that includes 35-50% off on "blems". (Blem in this case usually means you'll see more marks from scuffs acquired on the first range trip than you can find on the blem when you open the box.) Didn't see any triggers but the scope mounts and FF hand guards were phenomenal deals. (Pity I'm saving for something else!)

TacOfficer
06-30-2017, 14:58
Speaking of sales - Geissele is having a 4th of July Sale that includes 35-50% off on "blems". (Blem in this case usually means you'll see more marks from scuffs acquired on the first range trip than you can find on the blem when you open the box.) Didn't see any triggers but the scope mounts and FF hand guards were phenomenal deals. (Pity I'm saving for something else!)

Thank you
Agreed, nothing wrong with blemishes. It's not a beauty contest ;)

tonyz
07-01-2017, 12:05
FWIW - PSA sale on Geissele triggers.

I have one from PSA - reasonable sale - shipping can take a little while.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/fourth-of-july-sale/geissele-sale.html?trk_msg=63OTDV24B4F474MP60MT749GPK&trk_contact=G2BLV3FH5VONLHC9U0K7KSULSK&trk_sid=6DL1HLU58PIT3PJ2TG411EDG8K&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=http%3a%2f%2fpalmettostatearmory.com%2ffo urth-of-july-sale%2fgeissele-sale.html&utm_campaign=Daily+Deal+Email&utm_content=12%3a00+Email

TacOfficer
07-15-2017, 20:40
Got the trigger in the mail today. I'm no aficionado of triggers, but i can tell the difference.

Thank you for the advice, it'll do nicely!
:lifter