PDA

View Full Version : 18x NG to Active Duty?

airbornec178
07-04-2013, 14:33
I'm posing this question to this forum because I believe I can get the most accurate answer. I've gotten a number of varied answers from different sources, not always the most reliable. Here's the situation: I enlisted in the NG as an 18x under the assumption that I would not otherwise get an SF contract as a prior service enlistee for active duty. However, knowing that I'm going to want to be back active again, I've been looking into the transfer from NG to Active Duty. I've been told its possible, that its not possible, that it takes about 4 months, that it takes about three years, etc, etc, all from various sources. So, if anyone could help clarify for me, what does it take for a NG 18x who's shipping within 40 days, to wind up an SF member on Active Duty? Any answers will be very much appreciated.

airbornec178
07-04-2013, 16:16
I used the wrong terms. I'm REP-63

Joker
07-04-2013, 17:19
My suggestion to you would be to concentrate on getting through the Course first. After one learns to crawl, they walk, then they run. Keep your eye on earning the beret.
Good luck.

SF_BHT
07-04-2013, 18:38
First question besides read more.... Is why did you not complete school at WP?

Did you twist your ankle in football?

Why did you just continue on AD and apply for SF?

Also all need to re-read this stickey
http://professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22758

airbornec178
07-05-2013, 07:39
At USMA the academic policy is that if a cadet fails a course twice, he is subject to review for separation. I struggled at wrapping my head around Multivariable Calculus, and the second time around I came up short again. Despite being top of my class militarily and physically, I wasn't allowed to continue. I regret not passing very heavily, but a person is only defeated as long as they let themselves be. I chose to not miss a beat and continue my goal of making SF.

airbornec178
07-05-2013, 07:42
I apreciate the answers. You're right, focusing on passing SFAS and the Q Course are the most important things on my plate right now

GM949
07-05-2013, 09:51
I was a NG 11B with the hopes of making it to the 19th group. I realized that the better option for me would be to go AD under and 18x contract. Here's how I went about doing it. I went to my local active duty recruiter, obtained my DD 368 (conditional release), turned it into my readiness NCO. He sent it up and I'm told it had to be approved by the Battalion S1. That took about two and a half weeks before it was sent back and I had it approved and in hand. I turned it into the AD recruiter and set up my time to re do my physical and sign my contract at MEPS. My only problem I ran into was that because of the budget cuts, I have to wait till the next fiscal year before I can leave. No big deal, that's an additional 12 weeks to train. Point is, it is possible, I did this no more than 5 weeks ago. Hopefully this helps. Please feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Special Forces Questions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a forum where civilians can "ask" the Special Forces soldiers past and present "Special Forces" related questions.

Those questions are then answered by Special Forces soldiers, period.

Questions asked by the general public should NOT be answered by the "general" public.

If you do not have the title of "Quiet Professional" you may ask a question, but leave the "answers" to the QP's.

Team Sergeant
07-05-2013, 09:58
I apreciate the answers. You're right, focusing on passing SFAS and the Q Course are the most important things on my plate right now

Good idea. Right now you're just a statistic and have a low percentage of passing SFAS and the Q course. But after beating the odds and passing then the AD units will take you serious and listen to your desires.

As was said, pass the course first then talk to the AD folks.

abc_123
07-05-2013, 10:34
I always read these threads and wonder if individuals tell the unit staffers, "hey please process my paperwork, and spend your training dollars on me and get me trained so that I can leave your unit as soon as you get me fully qualified because I don't really want to be in it anyway"

SF_BHT
07-05-2013, 17:21
I was a NG 11B with the hopes of making it to the 19th group. I realized that the better option for me would be to go AD under and 18x contract. Here's how I went about doing it. I went to my local active duty recruiter, obtained my DD 368 (conditional release), turned it into my readiness NCO. He sent it up and I'm told it had to be approved by the Battalion S1. That took about two and a half weeks before it was sent back and I had it approved and in hand. I turned it into the AD recruiter and set up my time to re do my physical and sign my contract at MEPS. My only problem I ran into was that because of the budget cuts, I have to wait till the next fiscal year before I can leave. No big deal, that's an additional 12 weeks to train. Point is, it is possible, I did this no more than 5 weeks ago. Hopefully this helps. Please feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Special Forces Questions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a forum where civilians can "ask" the Special Forces soldiers past and present "Special Forces" related questions.

Those questions are then answered by Special Forces soldiers, period.

Questions asked by the general public should NOT be answered by the "general" public.

If you do not have the title of "Quiet Professional" you may ask a question, but leave the "answers" to the QP's.

Since you are not a QP let me make it quite clear. DO NOT POST in this area.
Get on your belly and do some PT.

Surgicalcric
07-09-2013, 14:47
I always read these threads and wonder if individuals tell the unit staffers, "hey please process my paperwork, and spend your training dollars on me and get me trained so that I can leave your unit as soon as you get me fully qualified because I don't really want to be in it anyway"

But its about what "I" want isnt it Sir? After all its ME then everything else right...

OP:

If you are in 20th Group you will be required to complete one deployment as a NGSF guy after graduating the SFQC before your request will be given any consideration.

Crip

18C4V
07-09-2013, 16:25
But its about what "I" want isnt it Sir? After all its ME then everything else right...

OP:

If you are in 20th Group you will be required to complete one deployment as a NGSF guy after graduating the SFQC before your request will be given any consideration.

Crip

I agree with that policy when both 19/20th were on the playbooks. But now?? I say a more in tuned policy would be two years team time (no contracting, but JCETS, CTC, etc).