PDA

View Full Version : Gettysburg

Sdiver
07-01-2013, 15:24
Today, July 1,2013, marks the 150th anniversary of the start of the battle at Gettysburg, PA.

For the next three days, Union and Confederate forces engaged in a battle, that in my opinion would either save (which it did) or forever divide the Union, and to-wit, I feel is the greatest battle ever fought in human history. First only to the battle of Thermopylae.

Although I don't like, nor can I stand the SOB, I will tip my hat to Ted Turner for making a very well made movie of this historic time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTcaRk0ZRJ4

cbtengr
07-01-2013, 18:32
As skirmishes go I guess one could say that Gettysburg was pivotal to the Union cause.:) However the big news came July 4 when Vicksburg fell to Grant and his Army. Those Eastern battles always seem to garner all the publicity. A lot of folks are under the impression that the CW ended April 9, 1865, maybe for the Army of Northern VA. My Gr Gr Grandfather proudly served with the 2D Iowa Cavalry till they were disbanded in September of 1865.

Ret10Echo
07-01-2013, 18:47
Just completed 4 days in the field just outside of Gettysburg at the Blue Gray Alliance event (BGA Gettysburg). Really getting into the details of those few days as a member of the Iron Brigade. A great experience

Here's to Private John Black, Company B, 24th Michigan. Wounded twice on the first day of fighting.

mark46th
07-01-2013, 19:08
Yesterday, June 30 marked the 150th anniversary of my Great-great grandfather's death at Gettysburg.

RIP Garrett Clay Selby, Sgt, 1st West Virginia Cavalry

Stobey
07-01-2013, 20:12
From what I remember, the rebels surrendered on July 4th, precisely because they thought that they could get the best terms on that particular day.

(The ones I remember most from that 3-day battle were Joshua Chamberlain and the 20th Maine - both on the second and third days.)

PSM
07-01-2013, 20:42
Yesterday, June 30 marked the 150th anniversary of my Great-great grandfather's death at Gettysburg.

RIP Garrett Clay Selby, Sgt, 1st West Virginia Cavalry

Rest in Peace, Sgt. Selby!

Pat

mojaveman
07-02-2013, 01:26
If time travel were possible Gettysburg is one of several large battles I wish I could witness. Enjoyed both of the movies that were made on the subject.

Razor
07-02-2013, 19:13
"Five minutes more of such a defensive, and the last roll-call would sound for us! Desperate as the chances were, there was nothing for it, but to take the offensive. I stepped to the colors. The men turned towards me. One word was enough--"BAYONET!"--It caught like fire, and swept along the ranks. The men took it up with a shout, one could not say, whether from the pit, or the song of the morning star! It was vain to order "Forward." No mortal could have heard it in the mighty hosanna that was winging the sky...the color rose in front; the whole line quivered for the start; the edge of the left-wing rippled, swung, tossed among the rocks, straightened, changed curve from scimitar to sickle-shape; and the bristling archers swooped down upon the serried host--down into the face of half a thousand! Two hundred men!"

--"Bayonet! Forward" by Bvt. Maj. Gen. Joshua Chamberlain

Red Flag 1
07-02-2013, 19:24
One can only wonder how, Gettysburg would have played out with Lt.Gen. T.J. Jackson and his boys in the field? Pickets Charge probably would never have happend, if Lee had Stonewall in the camp.

RF 1

The Reaper
07-02-2013, 21:05
One can only wonder how, Gettysburg would have played out with Lt.Gen. T.J. Jackson and his boys in the field? Pickets Charge probably would never have happend, if Lee had Stonewall in the camp.

RF 1

LTG Jackson would have taken Culp's Hill on the first day and the position on Cemetery Ridge that the Federals occupied would have been untenable. LTG Longstreet could have also set up his Corps in defensive positions and made the Federals come to them.

If....

TR

MR2
07-02-2013, 21:41
LTG Jackson would have taken Culp's Hill on the first day and the position on Cemetery Ridge that the Federals occupied would have been untenable. LTG Longstreet could have also set up his Corps in defensive positions and made the Federals come to them.

If....

TR

Exactly.

Airbornelawyer
07-02-2013, 22:27
My great-great-grandfather fought there as part of the 16th Georgia Infantry. He was captured 10 months later at Spottsylvania Court House and died in Elmira, NY, the Union's Andersonville. His brother, who had been wounded at Sharpsburg, was in the 8th Florida, and was part of the Florida brigade which supported Pickett's Division in its charge.

From what I remember, the rebels surrendered on July 4th, precisely because they thought that they could get the best terms on that particular day.
Your memory needs refreshing. The Confederates did not surrender. After the failure of their last attacks, and after the expected Union counterattack did not materialize, Confederate forces retired from the battlefield.

PRB
07-02-2013, 23:51
My Mothers maiden name was Scott and our family had (has) a farm in Colon Michigan since 1858...My Uncle Howdy Scott resides there now in the original farm house.
One of my relatives a great great great Uncle was killed at Gettysburg and is buried there with the Iron Bde. Black Hats of the 24th. Vol Michigan Infantry.
Another Scott, buried in Burr Oak Mich was killed at Pittsburg Landing.
It made walking Gettysburg battlefield pretty unique.
God save the Union, and it was saved that July week.

Ret10Echo
07-03-2013, 09:43
My Mothers maiden name was Scott and our family had (has) a farm in Colon Michigan since 1858...My Uncle Howdy Scott resides there now in the original farm house.
One of my relatives a great great great Uncle was killed at Gettysburg and is buried there with the Iron Bde. Black Hats of the 24th. Vol Michigan Infantry.
Another Scott, buried in Burr Oak Mich was killed at Pittsburg Landing.
It made walking Gettysburg battlefield pretty unique.
God save the Union, and it was saved that July week.

PRB,
My unit portrayed 24th Michigan......Company B last week at the BGA Gettysburg event.

PRB
07-03-2013, 12:18
PRB,
My unit portrayed 24th Michigan......Company B last week at the BGA Gettysburg event.

Tough soldiers in that unit...had the highest casualty rate of a Brigade sized unit in the whole Union Army.
When my cousin David saw our relatives Civil War headstone in Burr Oak Cemetery in Michigan (Pittsburg landing/Shiloh) he became intrigued and did a family tree history that took him 20 years to complete then sent a copy to all of us.
He found our GGG Uncles grave site at Gettysburg as somewhere along the line that info about the burial site was lost.
That is the most amazing battlefield I've ever visited.
Wouldn't want to take a hit from a .58 cal soft lead minie ball round...must have felt like a base ball bat hitting you.

cbtengr
07-03-2013, 13:13
PRB,

I took part in the 125th in 1988 with an arty unit. Do you know how many reenactors participated in this 150th? It is quite a sight to behold.

The Reaper
07-03-2013, 17:04
Tough soldiers in that unit...had the highest casualty rate of a Brigade sized unit in the whole Union Army.
When my cousin David saw our relatives Civil War headstone in Burr Oak Cemetery in Michigan (Pittsburg landing/Shiloh) he became intrigued and did a family tree history that took him 20 years to complete then sent a copy to all of us.
He found our GGG Uncles grave site at Gettysburg as somewhere along the line that info about the burial site was lost.
That is the most amazing battlefield I've ever visited.
Wouldn't want to take a hit from a .58 cal soft lead minie ball round...must have felt like a base ball bat hitting you.

Yep, and the Iron Brigade was slugging it out with the 26th NC, which took the highest casualties of any unit on either side. Ten color bearers were shot down in less than ten minutes in that engagement. Those Yankees with the black hats could shoot. The 26th North Carolina entered the battle at Gettysburg with 843 soldiers and incurred 687 casualties, including its colonel and lieutenant colonel. That is more than 81% casualties.

After the 1 July battle with the 24th MI, they reconstituted and, as part of Pettigrew's Brigade, participated in the fateful Pickett-Pettigrew-Trimble charge against Cemetery Ridge on July 3, 1863. The 26th NC advanced further on that fateful day than any other Confederate unit, despite their losses.

RIP, warriors.

TR

Ret10Echo
07-03-2013, 17:12
I took part in the 125th in 1988 with an arty unit. Do you know how many reenactors participated in this 150th? It is quite a sight to behold.

Close to 10, 000 registered.... Then there would be walk-ons. I think the numbers were a little skewed toward the CS forces, but a good time nonetheless.

Sdiver
07-03-2013, 17:30
Yep, and the Iron Brigade was slugging it out with the 26th NC, which took the highest casualties of any unit on either side. Ten color bearers were shot down in less than ten minutes in that engagement. Those Yankees with the black hats could shoot. The 26th North Carolina entered the battle at Gettysburg with 843 soldiers and incurred 687 casualties, including its colonel and lieutenant colonel. That is more than 81% casualties.

After the 1 July battle with the 24th MI, they reconstituted and, as part of Pettigrew's Brigade, participated in the fateful Pickett-Pettigrew-Trimble charge against Cemetery Ridge on July 3, 1863. The 26th NC advanced further on that fateful day than any other Confederate unit, despite their losses.

RIP, warriors.

TR

Wasn't the 26th NC the only ones to make it to the stone wall just past Emmitsburg Rd, and attempt to turn the cannon, before being beaten back?

Ret10Echo
07-03-2013, 18:29

RIP, warriors.

TR

We had some carefully recreated replicas of the 24th's colors....switching between the pre and post Gettysburg versions. They lost 9 color bearers. Although the colors were not completely whole going in....the remnants give testimony to the hail of lead these men went through.

Richard
07-03-2013, 18:31
26th NC Infantry Regiment monuments (2) at Gettysburg.

http://www.gettysburg.stonesentinels.com/Confederate/26NC.php

24th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment monument at Gettysburg.

http://www.gettysburg.stonesentinels.com/MI/24MI.php

Interesting FAQ:

After the battle 37,574 rifles left laying on the battlefield were collected.

• 24,000 were still loaded

• 6,000 had one round in the barrel

• 12,000 had two rounds in the barrel

• 6,000 had three to ten rounds in the barrel

http://www.gettysburg.stonesentinels.com/Gettysburg_Facts/Gettysburg_Facts.php

Ret10Echo
07-03-2013, 18:39
26th NC Infantry Regiment monuments (2) at Gettysburg.

http://www.gettysburg.stonesentinels.com/Confederate/26NC.php

24th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment monument at Gettysburg.

http://www.gettysburg.stonesentinels.com/MI/24MI.php

Interesting FAQ:

After the battle 37,574 rifles left laying on the battlefield were collected.

• 24,000 were still loaded

• 6,000 had one round in the barrel

• 12,000 had two rounds in the barrel

• 6,000 had three to ten rounds in the barrel

http://www.gettysburg.stonesentinels.com/Gettysburg_Facts/Gettysburg_Facts.php

I can understand where there would be multiple rounds. Previously I thought it might be from nerves/being scared. After going through the scenarios with Battalion volley firings I can see where it would be difficult to tell if the weapon had discharged. The follow-on "Load" commands would simply be followed....

Red Flag 1
07-03-2013, 19:29

If....

TR

Jackson's Foot Cavalry would routinely cover an astounding amount of ground, and still turn the tide with ease. I believe, with little doubt ,that day one would have ended with Lee in much better position.

RF 1
j

PRB
07-03-2013, 19:32
I can understand where there would be multiple rounds. Previously I thought it might be from nerves/being scared. After going through the scenarios with Battalion volley firings I can see where it would be difficult to tell if the weapon had discharged. The follow-on "Load" commands would simply be followed....

Had to be some nerves combined with the confusion of volley fire and the black powder smoke.
Since you were firing without rounds you really don't get any kick...you know the difference with a full charge and round...not really a kick but more of a push with BP but you can still feel it.
At this point of the war most of the shirkers were long gone...the vast majority on both sides had seen heated close battle...ergo the casualty rate...I 'd think you'd find yourself leaning forward, as if in a storm.
Brave men all.
It would have been an amazing thing to see and feel. I suspect you get a taste with the re enactment. Nice that that is done.

BryanK
07-03-2013, 20:39
I haven't been to the Gettysburg field(s) yet, but at the Antietam fields, I learned that due to command pressure and the fight or flight factor, it was not uncommon to discover a Soldier's rifle to be stuffed with 10 rounds or more (as stated by Richard's post). The testicular fortitude it must have taken to stand with the line and place several well aimed shots must have been incredible. Rest in Peace Soldier's on each side :(

Sdiver
07-03-2013, 23:02
Brave men all.
It would have been an amazing thing to see and feel.

Especially when the Confederate and Union cannon began their duel.

Around 1:07 P.M. two Confederate guns near the Peach Orchard sounded off to give the signal for the bombardment to begin. All at once, about 140 Confederate cannon, opened fire along a two-mile line on Seminary Ridge.

As by reflex, about 80 Union cannon returned fire to initiate the most stupendous artillery duel ever witnessed on the American continent. The sound could be heard for more than thirty miles in all directions. The battlefield quickly filled with smoke and dust, through which little could be seen but small flashes from the cannon muzzles and the exploding shells that tore into men and horses on the opposite ridges. Meade's headquarters, several hundred yards behind the clump of trees, was endangered by many of the Confederate shells that overshot the ridge. Heavy losses were taken by units of the Union reserve artillery, supply and ammunition trains, and the medical service. But the front line troops of Hancock's corps suffered little damage, with most of the shells clearing the forward slope of the ridge where the men lay on their arms awaiting the certain infantry attack.

For over two hours the artillery duel continued without pause. Then, the Union artillery commander ordered his guns to cease firing to let the guns cool, and to conserve and restock ammunition and reposition for the assault. On the Confederate side, artillery ammunition was running out quickly. For that reason, and also because they observed that 18 Union guns were being withdrawn, Col. Alexander, in command of the Confederate artillery, sent a message to Pickett saying, "for God's sake, come quick, the eighteen guns are gone. Unless you advance quick, my ammunition won't let me support you properly". Pickett then rode up to Longstreet, saluted and asked, "General shall I advance? Shall I commence the attack?" Unwilling to take the responsibility of ordering what he felt would be certain death for thousands of Pickett's men, Longstreet averted his eyes and barely nodded. That was enough for Pickett to ride to the center of his line and give the command to march.

http://july1863.homestead.com/daythree.html

Brave men all, indeed.

Stobey
07-04-2013, 00:24
"Your memory needs refreshing. The Confederates did not surrender. After the failure of their last attacks, and after the expected Union counterattack did not materialize, Confederate forces retired from the battlefield."

Pardon me if my post was mixing apples and oranges.

The first part of my post referred to Vicksburg - and the surrender on July 4th.

The second part of my post related to Gettysburg. It was in that 3-day battle that Joshua Chamberlain and the 20TH Maine distinguished themselves. On the second day, to hold Little Round Top. And on the third day, after they had been brought back to the rear on Cemetery Ridge; and were a major factor in driving back those of Pickett's men who had managed to break through the Union Center.

mojaveman
07-04-2013, 01:18
On the subject of reenactment I seem to remember that a few years ago someone actually got hit by a lead ball at Gettysburg. That would certianly add some realism to the event. :D

Pete
07-04-2013, 05:48
On the subject of reenactment I seem to remember that a few years ago someone actually got hit by a lead ball at Gettysburg. That would certianly add some realism to the event.

The individual flew into the event and borrowed a pistol. When he fired it at the battle it hit someone. Lot of little faults to go around on that one but the big one was the dumbass who brought a "loaded" pistol to a reenactment.

But that is kinda' like ramrods, which is why you don't see them being used at large events. The sight of a bent ramrod coming flying, twisting and turning towards your ranks tend to unsettle some folks.

PRB
07-04-2013, 10:53
The individual flew into the event and borrowed a pistol. When he fired it at the battle it hit someone. Lot of little faults to go around on that one but the big one was the dumbass who brought a "loaded" pistol to a reenactment.

But that is kinda' like ramrods, which is why you don't see them being used at large events. The sight of a bent ramrod coming flying, twisting and turning towards your ranks tend to unsettle some folks.

Hadn't thought of that...the steel ramrod on an Enfield would be like a harpoon. How do you guys load charges without?

Pete
07-04-2013, 12:52
Hadn't thought of that...the steel ramrod on an Enfield would be like a harpoon. How do you guys load charges without?

With no bullet you don't need a ramrod. Tear the top off the blank round and pour the powder down the barrel - no problems.

At a Living History or Higher Quality event you may ram the paper giving the appearance of loading a live round.

Real Life vs Reenacting.

Just pouring powder, priming and firing reenactors can produce a way higher volume of fire.

Also with no round to push down they can stay on the field and fire 140-150 "rounds" with no problems. When live firing 40 rounds and things are getting clogged up.

Also an ammo box of 1,000 rounds weighed right around 100 pounds. A small Regiment of 500 troops in line would need at least 40 x 500 = 20,000/1,000 = 20 ammo boxes. How many men get detailed to run back to the wagon park and fetch them up?

And a fired ramrod looks more like a pretzel than a harpoon.

Disadvantage of using blanks without ramming paper?

Hell yeah. Skirmish Drill. Try loading a muzzle loader while on your back. You get powder everywhere - some in the barrel - it's all up front - need to remember somewhere in the process to get the muzzle up to get the powder to the bottom. Then with nothing to keep it in place while you're running it can spread out again. See a lot of "Pzzzzttt" instead of "Blam" when folks are skirmishing.

Ret10Echo
07-04-2013, 12:55

Same method, although you really have to bump the lockplate a couple times with your hand or some will tap the stock on the ground once or twice to seat the powder.

The smaller events where you can ram or ram with paper are more enjoyable. :D

PRB
07-04-2013, 13:21
Makes sense.
I've been shooting BP weapons since I was a kid...had a Dixie Gun works .58 Zouave when I was 15 and wacked tons of imaginary Rebels.
I've a browning .54 half stock Mountain rifle they produced for just a few years back in '76 for the bi centennial. Bought it then. It has a patented (1830 pat) roller set trigger Jonathan Browning designed. Most accurate smoke pole I've ever handled...It'll button hole rounds at 200 ft off hand...won lots of 5 dollar bets with guys shooting at the Bragg rod & bottle against their AR's/M4's.
That's one I'll never sell.
Believe me, I know about trying to load after multiple shots...I've done the 'tree ram' a few times with a steel rod.

mojaveman
07-04-2013, 14:46
...had a Dixie Gun works .58 Zouave when I was 15 and...

Had one too. Was a really nice looking rifle with all of the brass trim. Liked the muzzle loading feature because you could load differen't charges if you wanted to. Even loaded it with BBs onetime just as an experiment. :D Didn't like cleaning it though.

If I get anymore black powder firearms they will probably be an 1851 Colt Navy revolver and maybe an 1858 or 1853 Enfield rifle.

The only Civil War uniform that I would ever consider wearing would be that of a Confederate Cavalryman.

Richard
07-04-2013, 16:12
The only Civil War uniform that I would ever consider wearing would be that of a Confederate Cavalryman.

My Great-Great Grandfather was a Corporal, Co I, 13th Texas Cavalry.

If I were to reenact, I think I'd prefer to be a member of the 2nd US Sharpshooters; their breech-loading rifles, green uniforms, and tactics made sense to me.

Richard

Gettysburg, late afternoon, 2 Jul 1863, along the slopes of Big Roundtop east of the Slyder Farm - contesting every yard of ground with the skirmish line of Confederate Major General John Bell Hood's division, Major Homer R. Stoughton's 2nd Regiment, United States Sharpshooters, withdrew slowly, keeping up a steady and accurate fire. The men of Company F fell back to the Slyder Farm and took up positions in the timber overlooking Plum Run.

"Our line only being a skirmish line..., we were obliged to fall back or be either killed or taken prisoner. The enemy force in our front was at leat ninety men to our one. Still they noticed that there was some opposition to their charge for we were armed with breechloaders and, as we took the matter very cooly, many a brave Southron threw up his arms and fell. But on they came, houting and yelling their peculiar yell..."

- From the Civil War Diary of Wyman S. White, First Sergeant, Company F, 2nd US Sharpshooters 1861-1865, edited by Russell C. White, Butternut and Blue, Baltimore, 1991.

mark46th
07-04-2013, 16:37
"My Great-Great Grandfather was a Corporal, Co I, 13th Texas Cavalry".... Richard

Probably one of the fuckers that shot my great-great grandpa....

Ret10Echo
07-04-2013, 17:06
My Great-Great Grandfather was a Corporal, Co I, 13th Texas Cavalry.

If I were to reenact, I think I'd prefer to be a member of the 2nd US Sharpshooters; their breech-loading rifles, green uniforms, and tactics made sense to me.

Richard

- From the Civil War Diary of Wyman S. White, First Sergeant, Company F, 2nd US Sharpshooters 1861-1865, edited by Russell C. White, Butternut and Blue, Baltimore, 1991.

Sadly from what. I have read,the Union did not make much use of the sharpshooters. They were mostly employed as infantry.

The Confederate Army did, however, form sharpshooter units from amongst those in the army. Only the best troops, who were trained in specific tactics and as skirmishers. They were quite effective.

Check out.:
"Shock Troopsof the ConfederacyThe Sharpshooter Battalions of the Army of Northern Virginia. "

By Fred L. Ray

PSM
07-04-2013, 17:17
I just learned this today. My maternal G-G-Grandfather was there with "General Lee's Company F, 47th Alabama Regiment, CSA".

My G-Grand father had his picture hanging in his room. I was told that my G-G-Grandmother made the uniform he was wearing and kind of "made it up" for the photograph. I'm not sure of his rank, but my G-Grandfather always referred to him as "The Coronel". (That doesn't necessarily mean anything since my G-Grandfather was always referred to as "The Judge" and, though he had been the County Attorney for many years, he was never a judge.)

He survived and became a Baptist minister in Arkansas.

ETA: He was a 1st LT. (Got to love the internet!)

Pat

Pete
07-04-2013, 17:41
Well, I'll say this. The Civil War was the last big war we fought with bad shoes.

While not terrible they leave a lot to be desired in for a field shoe/boot. Plenty fine for low miles or just hanging out.

The slick leather bottom gets zero traction on sand or grass but the uppers aren't tall enough to keep road trash out.

By the SpanAm war and WW I I'd say we were getting into the proper field boot era.

Just my opinion.

PRB
07-04-2013, 19:00
Well, I'll say this. The Civil War was the last big war we fought with bad shoes.

While not terrible they leave a lot to be desired in for a field shoe/boot. Plenty fine for low miles or just hanging out.

The slick leather bottom gets zero traction on sand or grass but the uppers aren't tall enough to keep road trash out.

By the SpanAm war and WW I I'd say we were getting into the proper field boot era.

Just my opinion.

Agree, I believe in that time frame the left/right shoe were exactly the same and it was up to the wearer to 'break them in' to the proper foot.
Can't imagine wearing a wool jacket/trousers in the southern heat...talk about heat rash.
I saw a special on the Revolutionary war that indicated many of the Brits died of heat stroke due to their regulation uniforms and lack of individual canteens...had some re enactor running on a treadmill in full woolen uniform etc. then without to show the huge dif in heat stress.
I'm with Richard...I'm thinking the Union unit armed with Henry rifles...even if you had to use Napolean era tactics at least you could lay down a solid base of fire.

Utah Bob
07-07-2013, 10:36

Just my opinion.

At least CW brogans came in lefts and rights. An improvement over the prior models.

;)

Pericles
07-10-2013, 16:07
Just completed 4 days in the field just outside of Gettysburg at the Blue Gray Alliance event (BGA Gettysburg). Really getting into the details of those few days as a member of the Iron Brigade. A great experience

Here's to Private John Black, Company B, 24th Michigan. Wounded twice on the first day of fighting.

I was across the way, with the Texas Brigade.

Ret10Echo
07-11-2013, 02:04
I was across the way, with the Texas Brigade.

My compliments to the professionalism and audacity of the Texans. Y'all do a fine impression.

It was noted...

R10

Pericles
07-12-2013, 11:46
My compliments to the professionalism and audacity of the Texans. Y'all do a fine impression.

It was noted...

R10

Where we come from, we don't see an entire division worth of Federals on the other side - it was damn impressive and one of the best scenes I'll remember from the hobby.

Going up the hill on Saturday night was memorable for many of us as well - I was the company commander of the Red River BN's right company of the line.

Richard
07-15-2013, 10:58
Slightly off topic - but I enjoy reading these for perspective.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=1350&bih=677&site=imghp&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=civil+war+recruiting+posters&oq=civil+war+recruiting+poster&gs_l=img.1.0.0j0i24.57632.57632.0.61253.1.1.0.0.0. 0.104.104.0j1.1.0.eqrwrth...0...1.1.19.img.c1ZbHC7 FVuo

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=1350&bih=677&site=imghp&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=newspaper+reports+on+the+battle+of+gettysburg&oq=newspaper+reports+on+the+battle+of+gettysburg&gs_l=img.12...232922.249368.0.252118.45.45.0.0.0.0 .183.5315.14j31.45.0.eqrwrth...0...1.1.19.img.Cy1q T9S6ofY

http://www.civilwar.org/

Richard