PDA

View Full Version : Homes For Our Troops

Horned Frog
07-01-2013, 10:55
Howdy folks,
I wanted to take a little time to let everybody know about this organization called Homes For Our Troops. I had never heard of them prior to last year, but they do pretty amazing work. Their primary function is to build specially adapted homes for wounded veterans and service members, but they also have a program called "Home Award" through which they provide mortgage-free homes to Gold Star family members. They don't focus on SF, any family member of a fallen service member may be eligible (I don't know their specific criteria). As far as I know, I am the first child of a fallen soldier to receive a home, but I applied last year around November and my wife and I moved into our mortgage-free home this weekend. This is an amazing blessing and I want to encourage y'all to tell any Gold Star family members you know about this program. They are based in Massachusetts but I just received a home here in Colorado. Their website is www.homesforourtroops.org. Please message me if this is in the wrong area or if anyone is interested in more information. I just want to pass this blessing on to others.

MSRlaw
07-01-2013, 11:25
Your link doesn't work.

So you just filled out an application and they bought you a home for cash? Was their a dollar amount limit? No offense, but this company could give 10X the amount of homes by providing a down payment plus closing costs and getting the homeowner a good fixed interest rate.

PSM
07-01-2013, 11:36
From their FB page:

To our friends, supporters and the HFOT families,

We understand your concern about the challenges you've experienced when trying to get to our new website. We want to let you know what happened and what we are doing about it to make it easy to connect with Homes for Our Troops.

Last week, without our consent, the homesforourtroops.org & homesforourtroops.com domain names were redirected to a different website that is not affiliated or endorsed by Homes for Our Troops.

Please be assured, that we are working on the issue and we hope to resolve this as quickly as possible.

Find us on the web directly at www.hfotusa.org and email us at Info@hfotusa.org or call us 866-7-TROOPS

Thank you for your support

Pat

Horned Frog
07-02-2013, 17:02
MSRlaw,
The way it works, as I understand it, is that banks donate houses to HFOT in order to write off the value of the home as a tax deductible contribution to charity. There are no dollar amounts discussed with the recipient (although it seems reasonable for the recipient to investigate via Trulia or Zillow in order to have an estimate). HFOT alerts its eligible, waiting recipients via email of all the houses that become available in the region in which they are interested in looking. The recipient will respond to the houses they want to visit, and the recipient is responsible for traveling to the house in order to see it firsthand. In my case, we were offered several houses (around 5 or 6) before one became available in our hometown. Once a recipient has agreed to a specific house, HFOT and the bank (Bank of America in my case) have a VA home inspector come out and inspect the house, and the bank pays to renovate the house to get it in move-in ready condition. My house had a new water heater installed, new carpet and flooring throughout, new light fixtures, the house was painted interior and exterior, they installed a sprinkler system and sodded, landscaped the front yard, replaced the roof, and bought a new refrigerator, washer and dryer, dishwasher, and microwave. I'm sure there are other things that they did that I'm leaving out, but the gist is that I can't say enough how much they did for us. Our only commitment in order to be given this house is to agree to live in the house for 3 years, and to pay the taxes and insurance on the property. It's pretty amazing. Please PM me if you'd like to know more. I want to get the word out about this amazing opportunity.