PDA

View Full Version : War on Terror and SF research for Masters Degree

Jwild05
06-23-2013, 12:30
As I have posted on my introduction previously I am currently studying terrorism and CT for a MA in Terrorism and Security at King's College London, and because I have a deep respect for the SOF community I have decided to research and write my final dissertation on the utilization or underutilization of special operations forces (more specifically SF and SEALs) in the war on terror. While I have a lot of friends and connections with the SEAL community I am lacking in connections with the SF community as my lone friend from your community is a student in my program and it would ill-advised for me to interview him as a source.

I am interested in making some connections with individuals in the SF community, whether currently active or not, that would be willing to assist me in my research. The information I am looking for is whether or not the community was utilized to its fullest during the early parts of the war as well as the current status, how the military could have better used SF during the wars, and what can be done in future conflicts.

If anyone is interested or willing to help I would greatly appreciate it as I am pursuing this to help the SOF community in any way possible. Thank you for your time, and please PM me if you are interested.

Also I am now located in Minnesota (St. Paul area), so if there is anyone in the area that would like to discuss the topic I am always good for a beer or two.

As a side note I have full ethical approval from my university to conduct the research and interviews and will forward all information of my ethical approval to anyone interested.

JJ_BPK
06-23-2013, 13:02
As I have posted on my introduction previously I am currently studying terrorism and CT for a MA in Terrorism and Security at King's College London, and because I have a deep respect for the SOF community I have decided to research and write my final dissertation on the utilization or underutilization of special operations forces (more specifically SF and SEALs) in the war on terror. While I have a lot of friends and connections with the SEAL community I am lacking in connections with the SF community as my lone friend from your community is a student in my program and it would ill-advised for me to interview him as a source.

I am interested in making some connections with individuals in the SF community, whether currently active or not, that would be willing to assist me in my research. The information I am looking for is whether or not the community was utilized to its fullest during the early parts of the war as well as the current status, how the military could have better used SF during the wars, and what can be done in future conflicts.

If anyone is interested or willing to help I would greatly appreciate it as I am pursuing this to help the SOF community in any way possible. Thank you for your time, and please PM me if you are interested.

Also I am now located in Minnesota (St. Paul area), so if there is anyone in the area that would like to discuss the topic I am always good for a beer or two.

As a side note I have full ethical approval from my university to conduct the research and interviews and will forward all information of my ethical approval to anyone interested.

"ethical approval" Is that something to with publishing for profit??

There is a list around here of books written by those in the SOF community. I'd venture to say every one was written in 1st person by someone that was involved with the topic.

You're working the street from the wrong end.

Get out, get involved, get bloody,, then you can tell your tale with truthfulness, accuracy, and passion, if you get permission from above..

Because you stayed in a Hotel #6, does not mean you can built the SEAR's tower..

As to why you have SEAL friends??

Richard
06-23-2013, 13:23

You might want to either revise the scope of your thesis to just SEALs or include your "lone friend from your {the SF} community".

FWIW - I don't understand your seeming recaltrance to interview your friend.

Good luck.

Richard

Joker
06-23-2013, 15:48
Contact the SOCOM PAO's Office and put your request into them. They can point you in the right direction, if your bona fides checks out.

Jwild05
06-24-2013, 14:08
Thanks for the info guys I will look further into the 1st account books as well as contacting the PAO for SOCOM.

I will attempt to clarify a few things that were asked in your replies. In regard to the ethical approval it doesn't have much to do with publishing the information its used as a means to protect the individuals we may interview, such as various levels of encryption, the use of pseudonyms if needed, as well as a lengthy review of how will contact potential intervewees, how we will carry out the interview, etc. It's essentially a way for the university to cover their butts, and to prevent any leaks of sensitive information and/or if we are carrying out our research in an ethical manner.

In regard to my friends in the Navy I went to BUD/S with one of my best friends from high school and while I got hurt during training he made through, and I have trained with and made them on many occasions while preparing my old unit for deployment.

I would have loved to interview my friend from SF, but he was my core course and we (he, myself, and our professor) decided that because we are classmates his answers may provide an issue in the validity to my research (which we fought against, but our prof gave the final word).

Once again thank you for your help on this, and if there is anything else I will be open to anything, including criticism, as it all helps.

JMART5
06-24-2013, 16:48
[QUOTE=Jwild05;512758]I would have loved to interview my friend from SF, but he was my core course and we (he, myself, and our professor) decided that because we are classmates his answers may provide an issue in the validity to my research (which we fought against, but our prof gave the final word).

Jwild you wouldn't have been able to use your SF friend as a research subject. I'm sure you guys are using the DHHS OHRP rules associated with Human Research. Your IRB would have stopped you because you are interacting with your subject--not to mention all of the rules associated with using students for research. Your professor was correct. Good luck with your research.

blue02hd
06-25-2013, 14:02
First, let me say that I appreciate your time spent in the Navy. But as you are asking for feedback, here are my initial thoughts, and questions,,,

You are studying for a Masters Degree in Terrorism and Security,,,, but didn't pass BUD/S? Have you ever met a terrorist? Have you ever provided security?

And you are looking for what exactly here?

I am comforted to know you are exercising "ethical approval" from your private university, yet you are asking members of an online website to violate their own ethics by disclosing information that is highly classified. Not to mention interviews that would most likely be caustic to those still in service as their opinions would most likely dispute Command Guidance. It wouldn't be interesting if not would it? I can forward you a blank Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) in exchange for your ethical standards paperwork. That could be a great start.

On it's face your research, thus your conclusions, will be be limited, biased, and incomplete. You basically are asking for SF and SEAL capability, and to what extent those capabilities were leveraged. You may need to research trends in foreign policy and public tolerance vs military projection before you ask a gunslinger if he thinks he was "adequately employed". You probably already had this on the list.

I doubt I need to remind you that you can forget classified information unless you can provide the appropriate clearances. I suggest renting the movie "Hurt Locker" or "Act of Valor". I heard "Warrior Princess" may shed some light. (Sorry, just poking fun, but seriously,,)

I would be disappointed if you received any support from this forum based on the explanation you provided. IF anyone here actually offered to share the information you requested you may want to verify their credentials. Many here have already earned their Masters in Terrorism and Security, but will never have a diploma, only a stack of NDA's to show for it.

Good luck with your project, and I mean that. To further educate oneself is about the most important choice one can make. Did you educate yourself about this site before you posted?

I would also suggest a slightly different approach to the next open web forum you solicit.