PDA

View Full Version : Fish hook removal 101

tunanut
06-11-2013, 07:09
This guy is a pretty tough hombre and shows different hook removal techniques on himself. Good info for when the need arises.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgfpsupmu98

JJ_BPK
06-11-2013, 07:26
I'm not advocating his methods, but anyone that fishes should become familiar with hook removal DO'S N DON'TS..

As an aside, In the ER of the Fisherman's Hospital, Marathon Fl is a large display of extracted lures. Very Large Display.

More than a couple times I have had to extract Flies from ears, noses, necks, & cheeks.

Standing order for my skiff is "NO BARBS" on any hooks..

Saves my ears from the yelling and screaming..

This picture is from a Canadian ER..

YMMV :munchin

uspsmark
06-11-2013, 07:33
I had to remove a lure from a young lady's cheek in the ER one time. The Doc was tring to use a ring cutter to cut the barbed end off the hook. No way that was ever going to work as the teeth on the ring cutter were spaced too wide. I went out to my truck and dug around in the toolbox and got a pair of angled cutting pliers and came in and snipped the barbed end off the hook and gently slid it out. The patient was much happier! I keep a pair of those cutters in my tackle box now. The Doc gave me the money to buy a pair for the ER as well after that.

Patriot007
06-11-2013, 09:22
Saw a wall like that up in Canada after my friend's dad took a total of 4 hooks of a double treble hook deep (2 each) on the top of his hand. The method used then was local anesthetic, push through, cut barb.

We were catching walleye and northern pike. Apparently the northern pike have a propensity to causing hookings with their violent thrashing about. That and and not keeping enough slack in the line when retrieving the fish from the net.

Habu-MFFI 175
06-11-2013, 10:59
Tough nut

Several ways for sure. I have had several hooks in my hand and arms. I usually use the Line and Jerk method. Depending on area of the hook, depth may determine other techniques. Pushing thru and mashing the barb or cutting off the tip would be the 2nd method I'd do. Just plain ripping it out will be 3rd of course.

I debarb all of my hooks before I start tying flies. Those little hooks hurt.:cool:

But a shot of good old numbing medicine will help in any event...:D

Roguish Lawyer
06-11-2013, 11:36
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11261

MR2
06-11-2013, 13:10
Roguish, are you sure that was a fly and not a mosquito?

Roguish Lawyer
06-11-2013, 13:17
Roguish, are you sure that was a fly and not a mosquito?

Mosquito fly :cool: