PDA

View Full Version : "Army tests bionic suits..."

uspsmark
06-07-2013, 12:24
Army tests bionic suits designed to lighten soldiers’ loads

"The U.S. Army is finishing a series of independent tests on suit prototypes that soldiers could wear under their uniforms and help them carry combat loads that can often exceed 100 pounds."

Link to article (http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/06/07/army-tests-bionic-suits-designed-to-lighten-soldiers-loads/?intcmp=features)

MSRlaw
06-07-2013, 12:43
How far away are we from having full robotic warriors (with no biological materials) in the field?

uspsmark
06-07-2013, 13:04
How far away are we from having full robotic warriors (with no biological materials) in the field?

Well, we already have remotely piloted drones, I wouldn't be surprised to see robotic "soldiers" of some sort in the next 10-20 years. The AI isn't there yet for truly independent thought, so I see them as an adjunct to regular forces at first. The other very big drawback is how would they be powered? We can't even develop a long life cell phone battery yet (although I'm sure those things are being worked on).

Dominus_Potior
06-08-2013, 03:10
There are a lot of better, cheaper ways to help Soldiers carry loads exceeding 100lbs. Mainly exercise.....

Dreadnought
06-17-2013, 23:02
There are a lot of better, cheaper ways to help Soldiers carry loads exceeding 100lbs. Mainly exercise.....

More importantly, lighter loads.

Also, dibs on a bionic suit