PDA

View Full Version : Sexual Assaults and Cultural Confusion in the Military's New Gender Order

BMT (RIP)
06-07-2013, 07:51
http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/1004273-469/granite-state-concrete-owner-says-giving-rail.html

You know things are bad when the Chief of Staff of the Army, General Raymond Odierno, issues a statement to the troops declaring that "the fight against sexual assault and sexual harassment is our primary mission."

BMT

Streck-Fu
06-07-2013, 08:17
It looks like you copy the wrong url. It is to an article with a headline of:

Granite State Concrete owner says giving rail contract to Pan Am is like ‘abandonment of the line’

BMT (RIP)
06-07-2013, 08:35
http://www.cmrlink.org/content/home/37028/sexual_assaults_and_cultural_confusion_in_the_mili tary_s_new_gender_order

abc_123
06-07-2013, 10:16
You know things are bad when the Chief of Staff of the Army, General Raymond Odierno, issues a statement to the troops declaring that "the fight against sexual assault and sexual harassment is our primary mission."

BMT

I guess that replaces families as our number one priority. :rolleyes:

MSRlaw
06-07-2013, 11:43
Why are military brass making these kind of statements? Do you think it's high level sarcasm where they're told to address the issue by civilians, so as a result they say something so absurd as a wink-wink to let the average person know that they really don't care about the issue?

Sure, sexual assault is horrible and to be a victim obviously is extremely emotionally painful. But there's sexual assaults all over the country and when suspects are arrested and convicted then they are punished. Why is it the military's duty to address this over a litany of other issues such as the war on terror, funding soldier's health and supplies, protecting our homeland and allies, assisting with disaster relief, assisting foreign militaries protecting their democratic institutions, teaching foreign militaries how to be self-sufficient, etc.

I guess the question to you guys is:
Where do you think specifically the pressure is coming from to make military leaders say things like this? And do you think they actually are on board with this or are just trying to appease some hidden agenda-makers and go on with their "real obligations?"

Richard
06-08-2013, 09:34
It's an issue which, to me, falls smack dab under the umbrella of a command's responsibility to uphold the UCMJ and foster an atmosphere of "beyond reproach" good order and discipline for all its service members.

Think the issue is not serious and the NCA is not serious about it - read this.

Richard

Major General Michael T. Harrison Suspended By Army For Allegedly Mishandling Sexual Assault Case
HuffPo, 7 June 2013

A two-star general who commands U.S. Army forces in Japan has been suspended from his duties for allegedly failing to report or properly investigate an allegation of sexual assault, the Army said Friday.

Maj. Gen. Michael T. Harrison was suspended by the Army chief of staff, Gen. Ray Odierno, and Army Secretary John McHugh, the Army said. It provided no details about the alleged sexual assault case.

Until the investigation of Harrison's role is completed, Maj. Gen. James C. Boozer will take his place in Japan, the Army said.

Harrison already had been selected to become deputy commander of the Army component of U.S. Central Command, based in Kuwait. That new assignment was publicly announced in February by the Pentagon, which said at the same time that Boozer would replace Harrison as commander in Japan.

Typically, an officer who has been suspended rather than relieved of command could be reinstated in his job if cleared of all allegations. But this won't happen in Harrison's case because Boozer already was scheduled to take over the command in Japan next week, which is sooner than the investigation is expected to be completed.

Harrison, a 33-year Army veteran, began his assignment in Japan in October 2010.

Amid increased political pressure to crack down on sexual abuse in the military services, the Air Force said Friday it is expanding the office responsible for sexual assault prevention and placed a female two-star general in charge.

Maj. Gen. Margaret H. Woodward, who ran the U.S. portion of the allied air campaign over Libya in 2011 and is one of the Air Force's brightest stars, is running the reorganized office. She will report to the vice chief of the Air Force.

The move won praise from the chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, Rep. Howard P. "Buck" McKeon, R-Calif., who called Woodward a "breath of fresh air."

The office previously was run by a lieutenant colonel, Jeffrey Krusinski, who was arrested in May and charged with sexual battery. That incident escalated public debate over whether the military was taking seriously the problem of sexual abuse.

The House is scheduled to vote next week on a defense policy bill that would take away the power of military commanders to overturn convictions in rape and assault cases. The legislation also would require that anyone in uniform found guilty of a sex-related crime receive a punishment that includes, at a minimum, a dismissal from military service or a dishonorable discharge.

McKeon said Woodward is well-suited to the challenge she is facing.

"I welcome her voice to this fight," he said.

The Pentagon estimated in a recent report that as many as 26,000 military members may have been sexually assaulted last year, up from an estimated 19,000 assaults in 2011, based on an anonymous survey of military personnel.

An Air Force spokesman, Lt. Col. John Dorrian, said Friday that Woodward's office will be given additional resources, including a much larger staff than in its previous configuration. He said Woodward began the job this week.

Woodward entered the Air Force in 1983 with an aerospace engineering degree from Arizona State University. She has one master's degree in aviation science and another in national security strategy.

A command pilot with more than 3,800 flight hours, she flew aerial refueling aircraft and commanded air operations in numerous U.S. military operations, including the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. As commander of 17th Air Force, based in Germany, she commanded the U.S. portion of the allied air campaign over Libya in 2011.

Most recently she served as the Air Force's chief of safety. She also oversaw an investigation of the sexual abuse scandal at the Air Force's training headquarters at Lackland Air Force Base in Texas.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/07/major-general-michael-harrison-suspended_n_3406246.html

MSRlaw
06-08-2013, 11:59
"It's an issue which, to me, falls smack dab under the umbrella of a command's responsibility to uphold the UCMJ and foster an atmosphere of "beyond reproach" good order and discipline for all its service members.

Think the issue is not serious and the NCA is not serious about it - read this."

The UCMJ covers obviously everything that can be prosecuted. Why do you think the quoted commander said sexual assaults are the most important issues the military is currently facing? Do you think it degrades all the other issues soldiers are facing when something like that is said?

Richard
06-08-2013, 12:23
The UCMJ covers obviously everything that can be prosecuted. Why do you think the quoted commander said sexual assaults are the most important issues the military is currently facing? Do you think it degrades all the other issues soldiers are facing when something like that is said?

What do you think he's talking about?

Richard

Message from General Raymond T. Odierno, U.S. Army Chief of Staff on Sexual Assault and Sexual Harassment

Over the last twelve years of war, our Army has demonstrated exceptional competence, courage, and resiliency in adapting to the demands of war and accomplishing the mission. Today, however, the Army is failing in its efforts to combat sexual assault and sexual harassment. It is time we take on the fight against sexual assault and sexual harassment as our primary mission. It is up to every one of us, civilian and Soldier, general officer to private, to solve this problem within our ranks.

The Army is committed to the safety and security of every Soldier, civilian, and family member. Our Army is based on a bedrock of trust - the trust between Soldiers and leaders that we will take care of each other. Recent incidents of sexual assault and sexual harassment demonstrate that we have violated that trust. In fact, these acts violate everything our Army stands for. They are contrary to our Army Values and they must not be tolerated.

It is up to every individual to contribute to a culture in which our Soldiers, civilians, and family members can reach their full potential. It is imperative that we protect potential victims from ever experiencing a sexual crime. We must provide compassionate care and protect survivors after a crime has been committed. Our people must be confident that complaints will be handled quickly and decisively, and that our system will deliver justice and protection throughout the reporting, investigation and adjudication process.

Commanders, non-commissioned officers, and law enforcement must ensure that every allegation of sexual assault and sexual harassment is thoroughly and professionally investigated and that appropriate action is taken. Leaders at every level are responsible for establishing a command climate and culture of mutual respect, trust, and safety. Leaders must develop systems to "see" their units, and understand the extent to which their leadership promotes a positive command climate for all Soldiers. I urge everyone to start a conversation within your unit or organization, among leaders, peers, and subordinates and with family and friends to better understand one another's experiences and to develop better solutions to this problem.

Our profession is built on the bedrock of trust; sexual assault and sexual harassment betray that trust. They have a corrosive effect on our unit readiness, team cohesion, good order and discipline. We are entrusted with ensuring the health and welfare of America's sons and daughters. There are no bystanders in this effort. Our Soldiers, their families, and the American people are counting on us to lead the way in solving this problem within our ranks.

Raymond T. Odierno
General, 38th Chief of Staff
U.S. Army

MSRlaw
06-08-2013, 12:49
What do you think he's talking about?

Richard

Message from General Raymond T. Odierno, U.S. Army Chief of Staff on Sexual Assault and Sexual Harassment

Over the last twelve years of war, our Army has demonstrated exceptional competence, courage, and resiliency in adapting to the demands of war and accomplishing the mission. Today, however, the Army is failing in its efforts to combat sexual assault and sexual harassment. It is time we take on the fight against sexual assault and sexual harassment as our primary mission. It is up to every one of us, civilian and Soldier, general officer to private, to solve this problem within our ranks.

The Army is committed to the safety and security of every Soldier, civilian, and family member. Our Army is based on a bedrock of trust - the trust between Soldiers and leaders that we will take care of each other. Recent incidents of sexual assault and sexual harassment demonstrate that we have violated that trust. In fact, these acts violate everything our Army stands for. They are contrary to our Army Values and they must not be tolerated.

It is up to every individual to contribute to a culture in which our Soldiers, civilians, and family members can reach their full potential. It is imperative that we protect potential victims from ever experiencing a sexual crime. We must provide compassionate care and protect survivors after a crime has been committed. Our people must be confident that complaints will be handled quickly and decisively, and that our system will deliver justice and protection throughout the reporting, investigation and adjudication process.

Commanders, non-commissioned officers, and law enforcement must ensure that every allegation of sexual assault and sexual harassment is thoroughly and professionally investigated and that appropriate action is taken. Leaders at every level are responsible for establishing a command climate and culture of mutual respect, trust, and safety. Leaders must develop systems to "see" their units, and understand the extent to which their leadership promotes a positive command climate for all Soldiers. I urge everyone to start a conversation within your unit or organization, among leaders, peers, and subordinates and with family and friends to better understand one another's experiences and to develop better solutions to this problem.

Our profession is built on the bedrock of trust; sexual assault and sexual harassment betray that trust. They have a corrosive effect on our unit readiness, team cohesion, good order and discipline. We are entrusted with ensuring the health and welfare of America's sons and daughters. There are no bystanders in this effort. Our Soldiers, their families, and the American people are counting on us to lead the way in solving this problem within our ranks.

Raymond T. Odierno
General, 38th Chief of Staff
U.S. Army

I personally have no clue why he's saying these things. I can guess he's being pressured from somebody higher up the food chain. Maybe he was blackmailed, maybe his daughter was sexually battered, maybe he's being sarcastic. I do know about JAG resources and these preventive ideals he's discussing just won't happen, at least not through the military legal system. It's begging the question of course, but there's a lot more serious issues JAG currently has to deal with.

I asked why YOU think he's saying that. Your opinion is necessarily more knowledgeable and I genuinely have no clue.

Richard
06-08-2013, 13:28
I personally have no clue why he's saying these things. I can guess he's being pressured from somebody higher up the food chain. Maybe he was blackmailed, maybe his daughter was sexually battered, maybe he's being sarcastic. I do know about JAG resources and these preventive ideals he's discussing just won't happen, at least not through the military legal system. It's begging the question of course, but there's a lot more serious issues JAG currently has to deal with.

I asked why YOU think he's saying that. Your opinion is necessarily more knowledgeable and I genuinely have no clue.

He's talking about the Army's core institutional values - look them up - and the idea of how can the Army be trusted to uphold its important physical and moral obligations to this nation under the most trying of times if it cannot uphold its own stated values.

In today's world such concepts may seem archaic, but there are still citizens who believe them to be important. I am but one of them.

Richard

SF_BHT
06-08-2013, 13:46
Well said Richard....

The Reaper
06-08-2013, 18:03
I am not yet convinced that there is a sudden new wave of sexual assaults.

This might be a new trend, or it might be due to any number of causes that have not been impartially examined.

TR

JimP
06-08-2013, 19:27
Guys, I just got back from a week long course in Virginia for my nest job . They are NOT kidding about this stuff.....

Now, in my opinion, they have gone into a three foot homosexual hover and just taken everything out there as the gospel and that we're all a bunch of sodomizing rapists. This shit has me scared. I truly fear for our country.

I always thought fighting and winning the damned war was our mission with a primary of defending the Homeland. Guess I'm in need of "retraining". Jim

Surgicalcric
06-09-2013, 06:58

We are progressing here Sir - this isnt 1950 anymore...

Jim: I totally agree. The mere suggestion that a male has touched a woman inappropriately is a guilty verdict and will follow him through the rest of his career regardless of the facts of the case.

JimP
06-09-2013, 07:44
The problem is that it is NOT confined to mere "touching". If you say "hello Darling" to a female not your wife....you just made the 26000.

Now, don't get me wrong. In today's day and age there is NO excuse for saying it, but it does NOT make you a rapist. Remember that they are also trying hard as hell to remove commanders from the decision making process and to eliminate any discretion in these cases. Therefore, a "hello darling" issue is going to trial just like the violent rapist.

Meanwhile, we enter year three of major Major nidal Hasan's public circus of "workplace violence".

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Richard
06-14-2013, 12:11
And so it goes...

Chief of Army (Australia) Message Regarding Unacceptable Behaviour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaqpoeVgr8U&feature=player_embedded#!

MR2
06-14-2013, 13:02
What, no happy birthday?

Dusty
06-14-2013, 13:04
We are progressing here Sir - this isnt 1950 anymore...

Jim: I totally agree. The mere suggestion that a male has touched a woman inappropriately is a guilty verdict and will follow him through the rest of his career regardless of the facts of the case.

So, it's not okay to slap 'em on the ass and say, "Make me a sammich!" anymore? :D

PedOncoDoc
06-14-2013, 13:27
So, it's not okay to slap 'em on the ass and say, "Make me a sammich!" anymore? :D

I found this to be true in the civilian hospitals as well...who would have thought it?

Pericles
06-14-2013, 16:28

Which replaced winning wars as the number one priority.

abc_123
06-14-2013, 16:37
Looks like someone else's military is getting put thru a related wringer...

Senior ranks accused in defence sex scandal
By Greg Ansley

10:26 AM Saturday Jun 15, 2013

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10890686

Aoresteen
06-15-2013, 09:08
What is not being coverd is the men on men attacks and the women on women attacks. They have the numbers but to get them is like pulling teeth.

http://www.wnd.com/2013/05/military-suffers-wave-of-gay-sex-assaults/