PDA

View Full Version : Plan to shut military supermarkets shows difficulty of cutting defense spending

BMT (RIP)
06-02-2013, 10:09
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/commissary-plan-backlash-show-difficulty-of-cutting-military-personnel-spending/2013/06/01/15fb6c12-c922-11e2-9245-773c0123c027_story.html?hpid=z1

BMT

The Reaper
06-02-2013, 10:28
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/commissary-plan-backlash-show-difficulty-of-cutting-military-personnel-spending/2013/06/01/15fb6c12-c922-11e2-9245-773c0123c027_story.html?hpid=z1

BMT

Why are they always going after the commissary benefit?

I thought the surcharge covered most of the construction expenses, and the rest was no more than a rounding error in the budget.

TR

alelks
06-02-2013, 13:29
What amazes me is that the PX system as a whole from what I've seen has just turned into a business for someone, not sure who though. Years ago really good deals could be found. Heck I went a few years ago to the PX and there was actually a sign on a rack of shirts stating that you saved 50 cents off retail when you bought it there rather than off post. Granted you don't pay taxes but the deals just aren't like they use to be. Someones decided along the way that they wanted to make a nice profit instead of helping our the soldiers.

miclo18d
06-02-2013, 14:26
What amazes me is that the PX system as a whole from what I've seen has just turned into a business for someone, not sure who though. Years ago really good deals could be found. Heck I went a few years ago to the PX and there was actually a sign on a rack of shirts stating that you saved 50 cents off retail when you bought it there rather than off post. Granted you don't pay taxes but the deals just aren't like they use to be. Someones decided along the way that they wanted to make a nice profit instead of helping our the soldiers.When I lived on Ft Bragg I lived right next to the PX management building and there was a woman that drove a yellow Porche that worked there. I mean there are plenty of ways that she could acquire a Porche but I mean....

When I was a kid on Ft Leavenworth the Commissary was in an old warehouse, no frills, everything still in big boxes and on metal shelves. Extrapolate what the Commissaries look like today and you can see why the saving are no better than Wallyworld.

alelks
06-02-2013, 14:35
Instead of giving hundreds of millions to the Morale Welfare and Recreation (MWR) fund they should just lower prices. Not every solders uses MWR but EVERY solder needs to save a buck.

FlagDayNCO
06-04-2013, 09:55
When I was in the "Real Army", the PX and Commissary were a true benefit, based on the pricing and goods available. As the Army went through reductions and other non-sense cost savings -never saving any money, the PX became a target.

My Great Aunt retired as a DA Civilian working as a high ranking person within the Army Reserve and she put me onto something.

The decision making staff at AAFES were all the spouses of COL and General Officer types, so they tended to make decisions based on their ability to purchase. The spouse of an O-6 can pay more than PVT Joe Snuffy.

Somewhat related is the thread on General Officer perks, as the PX system was replacing good buys with higher priced and high-end items. Does PVT Joe Snuffy really intend to buy $80.00 after shave? The market that AAFES was catering to was changing, but the customer base remained the same.

In addition, I recall AAFES being mandated to raise prices, as politicians were claiming AAFES had an unfair advantage against the local stores outside the Main Gate. Now, what was being touted as local Mom & Pop stores was said to be an effort by WalMart to gain more of the market share. Recall that She-Clinton was a major WalMart investor.

This was a big deal in New Jersey, as AAFES did not pay the extortion-like taxes that WalMart and other stores paid outside of the bases.

Streck-Fu
06-04-2013, 10:19
The decision making staff at AAFES were all the spouses of COL and General Officer types, so they tended to make decisions based on their ability to purchase.

That makes sense. I can see that happening....

Regardless of the reason, I remember Commisaries and NEXs becoming much nicer with newly built structures throughout the 90s. They became to look more like shopping malls.

The Reaper
06-04-2013, 18:37
If the AAFES Gas Stations and Military Clothing Sales Stores are any example, if AAFES or NEX takes them over, the commissaries will no longer be any cheaper than shopping off post. Probably even more expensive.

Just another way to screw the troops.

Can't wait to see the Army we have left next time we have to go to war. :rolleyes:

TR

RTK
06-05-2013, 07:26
The decision making staff at AAFES were all the spouses of COL and General Officer types, so they tended to make decisions based on their ability to purchase. The spouse of an O-6 can pay more than PVT Joe Snuffy.

Somewhat related is the thread on General Officer perks, as the PX system was replacing good buys with higher priced and high-end items. Does PVT Joe Snuffy really intend to buy $80.00 after shave? The market that AAFES was catering to was changing, but the customer base remained the same.

Concur, and therein lies the problem.

Had a discussion with a retired GO two days ago who advocated for shutting down the DECA led commissaries because of comparable services rendered outside the gate. I made the point that the services weren't necessarily for him or his family but for the 18 year old and his spouse who never left rural Arkansas before OSUT and somehow managed to find themselves six months later in Korea. It provides a source of comfort and familiarity to scared stiff kids as well as providing (or, at least, intending to provide) a bargain on common goods. He admitted to having never thought of that angle before, which was even more disconcerting to me than the original subject.

bandaidbrand
06-05-2013, 08:48
RTK,

According to this article, their plan does account for that issue.

He limited his focus to the 179 commissaries that are in the United States. He had no interest in closing grocery stores on overseas bases, where personnel do not always have access to private shops that sell low-priced American products.

Actually when I was stationed in Vilseck, most of the junior guys had to get rides over to Grafenwohr because there's no PX on Vilseck. It definitely was a microcosm for that exact issue (although there was still a commissary on Vilseck) for married guys that didn't have transportation yet.

Pete
06-05-2013, 09:24
RTK,

According to this article, their plan does account for that issue......

You have to cut RTK some slack - he lives on a Fort with a 32 mile driveway.

BryanK
06-06-2013, 10:45

Regardless of the reason, I remember Commisaries and NEXs becoming much nicer with newly built structures throughout the 90s. They became to look more like shopping malls.

The 2010's are no different apparently. I went to turn in some brass at Ft Meade yesterday, and the PX there is under construction. I hope they're rebuilding it as a combination shop (clothing sales/PX/commissary/bed & breakfast/barber shop/house of ill repute/marina/etc.) or something, because it is freaking huge! I've been to a fair amount of PX's throughout my time in service, but this new project must be a flagship set up of some sort. Weren't we supposed to be saving money?

Team Sergeant
06-06-2013, 10:48

And run by the female asian mafia.......

MR2
06-06-2013, 10:52
And run by the female asian mafia.......

;) You got that right.

RTK
06-08-2013, 03:26
You have to cut RTK some slack - he lives on a Fort with a 32 mile driveway.

Longest cul de sac on earth. :D

MtnGoat
06-12-2013, 19:04
This closing of Commissaries has been going on for at least 10 years that I know of. Ever since I have been at Bragg there has been talk about the DACA Commissaries closing down. Hell they have even looked at closing the South Post Commissary on Bragg since I've been here, and it isn't that old.

These are my points over this topic.

First the closing is purely base off of money. Local grocery store in and around military bases lose a shit ton of money from the Commissaries. Most of you post Commissaries pull in million of dollars a week. Braggs typically pull in over 4-5 million a week. I know up by DC, one of the smaller post pulls in over 6 million plus a week. Now I can speak for Fayetteville area, not one grocery store in and around pulls in that amount. Even Wally World can't touch any of one of the TWO Commissaries with all four of them around here. Yes, Four Walmarts on a typically week, even with selling TVs, Household goods, Auto, ETC doesn't tuoch your post Commissary that sells only FOOD at near COST. Yes your Commissary sell almost everything at cost, most is only 3% to 5% above. I can't remember anything, meats and dairy or the highest %, but they are not about 8% or 10% above cost. SO YES, IMNSHO, your big money hungry chain grocery stores want ever Commissary closed ASAP. They will contiue to fight to close them, and if no one stands up for active, vets and military spouses. They will be pulled as our country falls apart. Also why do these post Commander or higher ups push to close a Commissary, IMHO, look to see when they are retiring. No off post grocery store can touch the prices of any Commissary IMHO.

Spouses working - Commissaries do pull in a ton of money, PX's I can't speak for. I will say this. There are more enlisted military spouses and teenagers working as clerks and stockers than any Officers Wife. Think about it guys, how many Officers wife would be a clerk. I'm not talking bad aboutthe job or position or to Officers Wives, but think about it. Now a Officers, especially a Col's to STAR LEVEL, would they be working there? No IMO. I've seen a GO HH6 cause all kinds of problems for the Commissary and PX. I've seen one here on Bragg all pissed off that she could go into the Commissary during the early morning retiree and military only time period. Guess what, Well that GO Wife got to go in when ever she wanted. A Bragg's post Commanding General aide-de-camp shopped for the General and had a delivery service for his house too. Going off topic....

"They became to look more like shopping malls"... WHY do you think???!!
American's want things to look pretty and nice. Yes all of us knuckle dragging military types can deal with weahouse shopping. But when the wives are doing the shopping and they head to Wally World to grab the milk or eggs or baby stuff and they see how nice it is. Well they start to bitch. DA is overhualing every Commissary to look more like what a typical grocery store in and around military bases are looking like. They did a survey over what people liked. Well the want something like CLUB FOODs, FOOD LION and yes WALLY WORLD. Like or not, they are in for the money, even if it is close to at cost. How many of you have on your post one of those new Commissary/ PX, movie and restuarant complexes?? Well that's what the military wanted, same as off post, but for on post pricing. Look at Fort Bliss for all of you SOF guys going there for training. All you that gone back to Benning..I can go on for many different post. We, maybe not you, but the military want's it, and they will build them as far as the money is there.

For me, Commissary is a great saving place for my family. I do the shopping every Monday. We save upwards of $50-$80 a week. Gas too for me.. $0.10 a gallon typically, so around $15-$20+ a week. PX, not that much. But I save WHEN I EVER DO SHOP there.

Oh for all of you.. Check with your Commissary, All of Bragg Commissaries are closing on Monday's come REAL SOON, due to government furlough. Remember, not to google or search for Goverment scandals on your Goverment Computers too. :D

Monsoon65
06-13-2013, 16:22
HH6 and I try to hit the commissary at Carlisle Barracks every few weeks.

Some things are cheaper, some are the same if you buy it on the economy. One place we do save is on meat. Chicken and beef is a lot more cheaper at the commissary than off base; I doubt I could afford it if I had to buy it at the local supermarket.

pcfixer
06-14-2013, 08:44
HH6 and I try to hit the commissary at Carlisle Barracks every few weeks.

Some things are cheaper, some are the same if you buy it on the economy. One place we do save is on meat. Chicken and beef is a lot more cheaper at the commissary than off base; I doubt I could afford it if I had to buy it at the local supermarket.

Never been to Carlisle Barracks. My wife and I are regulars at the Ft. Detrick, Md commissary. Much of baking supply is below the prices of Giant or Walmart. That's why she goes. Meat is okay if very fresh or frozen, sometimes chicken can be bad and I have to return the next time we go. Watch the dates on canned good, as some expire too soon for us.

As for closing commissary's I hope that doesn't happen.