PDA

View Full Version : 1 Shot, 1000 Yards, Off Hand, 9 Witnesses

Ape Man
06-02-2013, 09:26
Barrett M107, 1 Shot, 1000 Yards, Off Hand, 9 Witnesses (http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/05/30/barrett-m82-1-shot-1000-yards-hand-9-witnesses/)

I know luck was most likely a factor, but it still impressed me. Maybe I would not have been quite as impressed if he used a different gun.

frostfire
06-02-2013, 10:23
so....master Rick, how many times have you made similar shot few times in a row? :D

yeah, I want to see it done several times in a row:munchin

Sohei
06-02-2013, 11:50
Regardless of the number of times he has made that shot....

That one was simply -- outstanding.

BryanK
06-02-2013, 11:57
I know luck was most likely a factor, but it still impressed me. Maybe I would not have been quite as impressed if he used a different gun.

I was impressed when the guy who taught me long range shooting rang the 1060 yd plate from the sitting position (no sling, no sticks, no use of the bipod) twice (he only fired 2 rounds) with his .308 :lifter

longrange1947
06-02-2013, 14:20
Really not that difficult. I have done it quite a few times and my avatar is me doing it at Hawthorne. In the mid 80s used the Haskins 50 as a demo gun and fired it standing offhand as well. Have a goodly number of people that have witnessed it as well. :munchin :D

Dragbag036
06-02-2013, 16:28
Really not that difficult. I have done it quite a few times and my avatar is me doing it at Hawthorne. In the mid 80s used the Haskins 50 as a demo gun and fired it standing offhand as well. Have a goodly number of people that have witnessed it as well. :munchin :D

As you would say my friend " that's a trunk slammer". Rick I just picked up a new bolt gun myself.

BryanK
06-02-2013, 19:58
I've always been curious. The "hold hard guys" part of your sig line LR, to me sounds like you are to stiffen the hold. Is this for wind only? The way I was taught, you try to hold the same time every time semi-loosely (naturally) to ensure consistency of the shot. This is just me, but every time I've shot long range, I've been most successful holding kind of loose.

I'm not trying to sharp shoot, just curious.

Papa Zero Three
06-02-2013, 20:27

I'm glad you said this as I didn't find it as impressive as others do. If anything, holding that much weight is a testament to good technique. For a 50 cal, that distance isn't a big deal IMO, most of the guys on my team did this on targets much farther during a PMT.

TOMAHAWK9521
06-02-2013, 20:36
I've always been curious. The "hold hard guys" part of your sig line LR, to me sounds like you are to stiffen the hold. Is this for wind only? The way I was taught, you try to hold the same time every time semi-loosely (naturally) to ensure consistency of the shot. This is just me, but every time I've shot long range, I've been most successful holding kind of loose.

I was taught that way as well....Until I picked up a .338 Lapua. Sure, I may be a wuss here, but I've learned to adopt a tighter hold with the larger/hotter cartridges. Assuming that that semi-loose posture with a .338 Lapua or 300 RUM and it feels reminiscent of a mule kicking you in the eye/face. Bad positioning behind the gun will also get you. I dropped an elk up on the side of a mountain from a bad position and it earned me an Indian beauty mark in my forehead for my stupidity.

PSM
06-02-2013, 21:26
I like Cleckner's videos on the NSSF site. I'm a non-LD shooter, but now have the time and place to work on it. He simplified the DOPE, angle, and wind info so that it wasn't so overwhelming for a beginner. I don't have the gun for it yet but I'm eager to get one and "reach out".

Pat

longrange1947
06-03-2013, 10:32

Hold Hard is a quote from a Marine CPT when they were out numbered. As the Japanese advanced on them at range, he told his troops to Hold Hard, (Steady) or it would be a long night.

On holding the weapon, the weapon needs to be held firmly into the shoulder and the weight of the head rested on the stock of the weapon. This reduces recoil movement of the weapon and allows your body to absorb that recoil. It allows the shooter to sense his shot placement and permits a rapid follow on shot. Many advocate pushing hard into the tripod to "load the tripod", I am not an advocate of that as it can only be accomplished in some shooting situations. That means you must change your technique as the situation changes. I prefer to keep my bipod neutral and maintain good head weight on the stock. This can be accomplished in all situations. It also allows for recoil reduction and shot follow on shot placement.

In standing off hand, it is important to bring the weapon to your head and set your jaw line on the top of the stock. Maintain good steady pressure into your should wiht your shooting hand but using only the middle and ring finger, not the little finger. This sets up a steadier and repeatable position while "reaching" for he stock means as your neck gets tired you will change your body position. One thing about shooting is that you must be consistent.

My thoughts on the subject. :munchin :)

BryanK
06-03-2013, 18:51
Thanks for the clarification. I have yet to shoot long range while standing, but if a situation dictates a standing shot, I appreciate the input. Now, if I can just get my grubby mitts on one of those fancy schmancy 338's...:D

longrange1947
06-03-2013, 19:21
Thanks for the clarification. I have yet to shoot long range while standing, but if a situation dictates a standing shot, I appreciate the input. Now, if I can just get my grubby mitts on one of those fancy schmancy 338's...:D

Cost per round will take your breath away! :D

frostfire
06-03-2013, 21:48
Hold Hard is a quote from a Marine CPT when they were out numbered. As the Japanese advanced on them at range, he told his troops to Hold Hard, (Steady) or it would be a long night.

On holding the weapon, the weapon needs to be held firmly into the shoulder and the weight of the head rested on the stock of the weapon. This reduces recoil movement of the weapon and allows your body to absorb that recoil. It allows the shooter to sense his shot placement and permits a rapid follow on shot. Many advocate pushing hard into the tripod to "load the tripod", I am not an advocate of that as it can only be accomplished in some shooting situations. That means you must change your technique as the situation changes. I prefer to keep my bipod neutral and maintain good head weight on the stock. This can be accomplished in all situations. It also allows for recoil reduction and shot follow on shot placement.

In standing off hand, it is important to bring the weapon to your head and set your jaw line on the top of the stock. Maintain good steady pressure into your should wiht your shooting hand but using only the middle and ring finger, not the little finger. This sets up a steadier and repeatable position while "reaching" for he stock means as your neck gets tired you will change your body position. One thing about shooting is that you must be consistent.

My thoughts on the subject. :munchin :)

call me crazy but I tried the middle and ring finger trick on pistol some time ago. It works! It allows easier straight squeeze to the rear and quicker recovery. A good test is simple. Hold the pistol with death grip all over, then suddenly relax the ring finger. You'd see the front sight jump up a little. I'd venture to guess that as the grip gets tired this can occur, resulting in "unexplained" thrown shots. Now keep the death grip only on middle and ring, them suddenly relax the two. You don't see much movement at all. Using the bore as the main axis, it makes sense that force being applied furthest from the axis creates torgue.

That offhand tips is dead solid. I remember the few "looks" I got during vendor day at the range when I rang offhand the 400m half silhouette with my OBR and IIRC, the 16" KAC rifle used by the 2011 winner. I still can't make tiny hole without loading the bipod with semi platform though. It's doable with bolt.....but with semi I keep getting the bipod hop:(

Ramirez
06-04-2013, 05:35
I'm glad you said this as I didn't find it as impressive as others do. If anything, holding that much weight is a testament to good technique. For a 50 cal, that distance isn't a big deal IMO, most of the guys on my team did this on targets much farther during a PMT.

1000 yards IMO is not the feat here. It's with a 2 MOA rifle and standing as it's a 38lb rifle. While it's not the most amazing shot in the world, I think it's a well done video, and even the shooter said. "it's just goofing around" Chase Stroud for Team GAP did a standing 1000 yard shot the other day on a smaller target w/ a smaller caliber. I think 6mm Creedmoor. I'll see if I can find the video.

My LR rifle is 17lbs, and I practice shooting it off hand at 400 yards at some steel tanks. It's not easy, but I'm practicing more and more at it.

I guess what I'm saying is, it's a cool video, and the shooter was not trying to be a showoff IMO.

disclaimer

non military guy here, I just shoot long range a lot and compete in matches.

longrange1947
06-04-2013, 07:33
Shooting off hand at longer range is more of a mind game than many realize. If your mind tells you that it is difficult then you will jerk the trigger and miss. Know your sight picture, let the rifle settle, and "rapidly SQUEEZE" the shot off. No jerk, just a rapid squeeze that some, including myself call a command detonation. This usually done in conjunction with an interrupted trigger squeeze to get the trigger "set".

Holding the Barret in the standing off hand is not hard. It is balanced on the mag and as you can see in my avatar, I let the mag rest on my palm very similar to an offhand stop for international shooting. The weapon is actually more pleasant to shoot in the offhand as the back blast and recoil is less, as is the over pressure, no ground to bounce it back at you. :)

Dusty
06-04-2013, 08:20
I had two witnesses for this; one is dead.

I shot a steel plate at 640 yards (UD) offhand with my .308, then I shot it from the prone without looking at the target.

I'm serious as a heart attack.

Nyaah nyaah na nyaah nyaah. :p

:D

Ramirez
06-04-2013, 08:41
Shooting off hand at longer range is more of a mind game than many realize. If your mind tells you that it is difficult then you will jerk the trigger and miss. Know your sight picture, let the rifle settle, and "rapidly SQUEEZE" the shot off. No jerk, just a rapid squeeze that some, including myself call a command detonation. This usually done in conjunction with an interrupted trigger squeeze to get the trigger "set".

Holding the Barret in the standing off hand is not hard. It is balanced on the mag and as you can see in my avatar, I let the mag rest on my palm very similar to an offhand stop for international shooting. The weapon is actually more pleasant to shoot in the offhand as the back blast and recoil is less, as is the over pressure, no ground to bounce it back at you. :)

That used to be my issue, I would get it in the crosshairs and jerk like one would w/ a pistol. Once I learned that these shots are dooable, I settled down, and seem to make them more and more.

Ramirez
06-04-2013, 08:43
I had two witnesses for this; one is dead.

I shot a steel plate at 640 yards (UD) offhand with my .308, then I shot it from the prone without looking at the target.

I'm serious as a heart attack.

Nyaah nyaah na nyaah nyaah. :p

:D

Ha, Dusty these are just goofing around videos, but we do it at 400 yards. It gets funny looks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCYii5KOGLQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjFFV_Lr58s

Dusty
06-04-2013, 09:00
Ha, Dusty these are just goofing around videos, but we do it at 400 yards. It gets funny looks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCYii5KOGLQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjFFV_Lr58s

lol I thought I was the only one in the history of non-Japanese shooters who did that.

You just took a minute slice out of my ego.

:D:D:D

mark46th
06-04-2013, 09:57
"Cost per round will take your breath away!" Longrange1947

100 pieces of Lapua .338 brass- $289.00
100 Sierra Matchking 300gr bullets- $76.00 or 100 Barnes lead-free 285gr TSX bullets if you are in Condor Country- $82.00
1 Lb Retumbo Powder- $30.00

Or you can buy 20 rounds for about $130.00.

Tuukka
06-04-2013, 11:13
Nice shot :)

Few months ago we were shooting at a friends place way out in the country.

After getting the rifles dialed in at 600 meters and we had put some groups on paper and on the steel targets, I thought what the hell, I will try it off hand :) due to us talking about an earlier case*

One round, one hit. The wobble was all over the place but the rifle swung towards the steel gong and I pressed the trigger right when it was on, so I knew it would be a close shot.

Two spotters confirmed the hit, I did not see it as the recoil swung me off target.

The rifle really doesnt matter as it was lucky as hell, but it was a Tikka T3 Tactical with a S&B PMII 5-25x + one of our suppressors. Shooting Lapua Scenar 167gr

*W were hosting the Finnish Military Reserve 3-gun championships back in 2008 or 09

One of the stages was a "sniper" stage with falling targets at 300, 400 and 500 meters.

After the match ended we had some time on our hands, Lapua Scenar 167gr ammo, our scoped Sako TRG-22 and our pistols

I dropped the 300 and 400 meter targets with one shot each off hand standing with the TRG, messed up two shots on the 500 meter target and called it quits. Damn those targets were swinging wildly in the scope..

A team mate of mine sights on the 300 meter target, which were electronic and punched up after my shot.

My buddy guesstimates the required front sight elevation with his 9mm pistol and bang..

The damn target drops...he turns to us, did you guys punch it down, we were laughing our asses off and saying no we didnt.

Hell of a shot.

He dropped it again, 1 hit out of 10 or so shots.

A another team mate dropped it with a ricochet, the shot landed about 2 meter in front and 1 right of the target in the swamp and ricocheted into the target.

tunanut
06-04-2013, 11:41
That is some damn good shooting. My range is set up 12 steels from 100 to 500 at varied elevations. Once dialed in, I have hit a 1moa steel @ 500 five times in a row standing unsupported with my 243AI. I find it's about finding your rythm and being comfortable with your rifle. My shooting buddies couldn't believe what they were seeing, much like the guys in that video. Lots O' "Bleep Bleep Bleep. Then they wasted lots of thier big gun ammo trying to do the same. They didn't seem to grasp the "rythm" I tried to explain to them.

longrange1947
06-04-2013, 13:16
Take a deep breath and slowly exhale to "let the gun settle on target". The wobble will minimize for a bit and the shot can be made easily. It is all in the head. :D

longrange1947
06-04-2013, 13:24
CRAP!!! what am I doing? Now others will make those shots! I am no longer Special!!! :D :D

Quick war story. On 66D in 87, Dave Zavitz (RIP) and I would do the SOTIC invitational. We set up pistol silhouettes on the target boards and then from the 1000 yd line would bet which of us would get a clean shot on target. We had to call out own winds and use the student's M24 that Dave built on a short action. The shot was standing off hand. We made a boat load of beer as the students would always bet we could not even his the target board, (6' x 6') at that range. They had been shooting all morning trying to get a good score on a full 'E' type. Needless to say we could and the students owed us the beer. That was before all the BS about "taking advantage of students" came about and you could nto bet them anymore. Our bet was the scoring ring. One of the times I won, Dave says double or nothing, I went with it, I did not know he had hot loaded some rounds and had Randy Lykens call wind for him. :D

Stobey
06-22-2013, 02:27
I was taught that way as well....Until I picked up a .338 Lapua. Sure, I may be a wuss here, but I've learned to adopt a tighter hold with the larger/hotter cartridges. Assuming that that semi-loose posture with a .338 Lapua or 300 RUM and it feels reminiscent of a mule kicking you in the eye/face. Bad positioning behind the gun will also get you. I dropped an elk up on the side of a mountain from a bad position and it earned me an Indian beauty mark in my forehead for my stupidity.

My dad had a Remington Model 600 .350 Magnum that had similar characteristics: kicked like a mule! He taught me well to have firm grip on rifle w/cheek planted firmly on stock (so that I and the gun were one; and we would move "as one" through the recoil). If you made the mistake of NOT holding / cheeking this rifle firmly, the recoil would bring that Leupold Vari-X III scope back right at about the eyebrow line.

One day my dad and his brother had been shooting at the range not far from where we lived. I was home when they came back and noticed a swelling cut/bruise above my uncle's eye - at the eyebrow line. I asked him: "Were you shooting the 350?" He nodded, embarrassed. Yep, that one kicked like a mule.

:eek:

frostfire
06-22-2013, 11:07

That interrupted trigger squeeze is spot on before the command detonation. Not sure about the one you shot, but the M107 I tried was one heck of a long-mushy squeeze before a pleasant crisp break. Crisp enough not to create new wobble pattern

CRAP!!! what am I doing? Now others will make those shots! I am no longer Special!!! :D :D

That's right! 'bout time the student reaches the master's level :D.......well, not really :p