PDA

View Full Version : Professional Soldiers Knife Concealed Carry Recommendation Needed

Beef
05-22-2013, 08:53
I would like to carry my PS knife concealed inside the waistband of my pants at the small of my back. Sometimes I wear shorts that do not facilitate the wearing of a belt. Does anyone have any suggestions on what type of attachment or clip to get for the Kydex sheath? And where can you get it? Thanks in advance!

Barbarian
05-22-2013, 09:31
I think you may have serious difficulty finding an IWB loop that holds to your pants well, without wearing a belt. Since the sheathes for the PS knife are made by Blade-Tech, I would look there, first. HTH.

Beef
05-22-2013, 09:47
Thanks, Barbarian! I shall check Blade-Tech's site.

fng13
05-22-2013, 15:57
Beef,

If you have luck with this will you please report here.

I have been carrying mine but only as pocket carry and would like an attachment method.

I was looking at the tek-lok but a friend had a kydex sheath with similar method and I didn't like how much space it added between the the sheath and the belt.

JJ_BPK
05-22-2013, 17:46
You might try a chunk of doubled sided velcro as an inside the pants strap or under belt. Like thunderwear for a knife??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SP-957-XL-46-50-Ballistic-Nylon-957-Velcro-Garrison-or-Under-Belt-1-5-Wide-/400450395346?pt=BI_Security_Fire_Protection&hash=item5d3cb41cd2

The Reaper
05-22-2013, 19:58
If you have skills, get a sheet of Kydex and make some prototypes till you get what you want.

Then make more for sales here.

I like that carry position, just not sure about resheathing a razor sharp knife back there.

TR

Barbarian
05-22-2013, 20:51
If you have skills, get a sheet of Kydex and make some prototypes till you get what you want.

Then make more for sales here.

I like that carry position, just not sure about resheathing a razor sharp knife back there.

TR

This is, IMHO, probably the best solution.

If you have the spare time (lol), kydex work is easy to learn, and affordable, (and enjoyable work). Kydex is cheap, and mostly all you need is a toaster oven or electric griddle, a kydex press, which is easy to make yourself, and a small drill press. It's a fun and profitable hobby.

I concur with TR, on the resheathing. One is the optimal number of anuses for a human to own.

Beef
05-23-2013, 09:15
Thanks for all the input. Unfortunately, one thing I don 't have, TR, is skills. But I do still have all of my digits, LOL. Back in the '80's, I bought a Loveless design Gerber boot knife. It has a money clip type attachment that worked really well for that type carry. It also removes a lot of the re sheathing risks mentioned above, since the sheath can be easily removed and replaced without taking off your belt.

So here's what I'm doing: I've ordered a bunch of different carry attachments, including the above mentioned items. I also just found a clip like on the Gerber at knifekits.com. When I get them, I'll try them all out and write a review ( my opinion, only, for what its worth) on each attachment. Some may not work at all, because neither side of the sheath is flat in relation to the predrilled holes. So give me a couple of weeks and I'll report back. That is such a great knife and hate not being able to carry it in a manner that fits my EDC.

TrapperFrank
05-23-2013, 09:45
Beef, for what it is worth, I carry a Kershaw, 1725/w a clip. It is carried in my left front pocket and I wear my shirt tail out. Works for me. How is everything going in your would?

Beef
05-23-2013, 12:08
Is an 'around the neck' carry out of the question?

http://www.1sks.com/store/media/kabar/2007/ka-1478-sheath-cord.jpg

Or a strap that goes around your waist while nekkid, knife sheath attached, then the shorts over that?

http://approvedgasmasks.com/images/knife-bdk8b.jpg

:munchin

Doc, I have a heavy duty "dog tag" chain that came with my FS Hideaway that I bought for a Europe trip. The around the neck carry works well, but the PS knife makes such a big. "print" when wearing a Tshirt or polo shirt that people say "nice knife, can I see it?" The belts that you and JJ found will probably work well. I'll check those out, too. I'll leave the nekked part to Trapper Frank! He's never been shy about public displays of his nudity!

Trapper Frank, I am well. I hope to see you at the 2/20 50th in Biloxi in Sep. since its down the street from you, no excuses. Your Kershaw is folder I believe. The PS is fixed blade. The Gerber that I mentioned is the same device I used to get into some light trouble (or out of it) back in the early '80's, if you recall.

Beef
05-23-2013, 12:09
For a less skilled folks like me you can use a piece of PVC pipe to use as a knife sheath. You can use duct tape to attach it if you want. :D

instructions below minus the duct tape idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRjoNNic_pM

Right up my alley. Even I can do that, LOL.!

mangler
05-24-2013, 10:17
Beef, Get ahold of the Spartan guys. Their kydex guy, Brian, is one of the best. I've talked to him several times over the years at bbq's and knife shows. He'll do any custom sheath you want, for just about anything you can dream up.

Razor
05-24-2013, 16:10
Beef, I've been using this set up for several years now. I tend to carry waistband around 1 o'clock, and it conceals well even with a tucked in shirt with the natural overlap. Yes, I'll get an occasional knife+sheath draw if I'm pulling it out forcefully and quickly, but a quick thumb push on the sheath with the draw hand takes care of that easily enough. The clip came from Tandy Leather, and the Chicago screw + rubber washer from a Hideaway set up.

Beef
05-24-2013, 21:45
Beef, I've been using this set up for several years now. I tend to carry waistband around 1 o'clock, and it conceals well even with a tucked in shirt with the natural overlap. Yes, I'll get an occasional knife+sheath draw if I'm pulling it out forcefully and quickly, but a quick thumb push on the sheath with the draw hand takes care of that easily enough. The clip came from Tandy Leather, and the Chicago screw + rubber washer from a Hideaway set up.

Thanks, Razor! That looks like just the ticket. I've ordered some other stuff, but I'm also ordering a clip from Tandy tomorrow. I have the Hideaway screws and washers. Changing the angle might even work for the back of the waistband.

Beef
07-08-2013, 16:58
Ok, here's the methods I've tried for concealed carry of the PSK:

1. Cross Draw per Razor's suggestion with Tandy belt clip.

2. Small of back with "S" clip from knifekits.

3. Small of back with Tek-Lok from knifekits.

4. Small of back with Kydex belt loop.

5. Neck carry with heavy duty dog tag chain.

My opinions follow:

Beef
07-08-2013, 17:04
Razor's cross draw. This uses the Tandy belt clip (large) and a Chicago screw set with washer. The latter are from an FS Hideaway, but can be purchased from knifekits . My son is the model. It works as Razor advertised. It wears better on me more across the front with a more horizontal draw.

Beef
07-08-2013, 17:10
The next is the "S" clip worn in small of the back. I thought this would be my favorite, but wasn't. The "S" clip is from knifekits and must be drilled to match the holes on the PSK sheath, then secured with Chicago screws. I used 3 screws .

Beef
07-08-2013, 17:14
The Tek-Lok was the manufacture's suggestion. While it was easy to take on and off of the belt, it was "high profile" and the most uncomfortable to wear sitting. This also from knifekits and used 2 screws.

Beef
07-08-2013, 17:19
This was my favorite and was the about the cheapest. A Kydex beltloop with 2 screws. Very comfortable and made for the smoothest draw.

Beef
07-08-2013, 17:23
The last is a simple Dogtag chain. Easy, cheap works well but "prints" under some shirts.

Dusty
07-08-2013, 17:51
This was my favorite and was the about the cheapest. A Kydex beltloop with 2 screws. Very comfortable and made for the smoothest draw.

I like that.

Beef
07-08-2013, 18:09
I tried some things with straps and they just weren't stable enough. I thought about attaching it to a riggers belt with screws, but that would relegate it to being worn under clothes. The ideal solution for me would be to find someone that does custom Kydex sheaths and have one made with a clip and flat back like the old Gerber boot knives and a couple of cheap CRKTs that I have.

PRB
07-08-2013, 20:34
How do you carry your pistol

Beef
07-08-2013, 21:01
How do you carry your pistol

PRB, I carry a Colt 1911 in a Galco high ride holster or an LW Seecamp in a back pocket wallet holster. A S&W .38 Sp. Airweight in a coat pocket. Depends on what I wear and how I wear it. I just bought a Sig P 220. I haven't bought a holster for it, yet. I usually carry an Emerson CQC-7 V in anything but scrubs. In scrubs, I carry a Benchmade or Spyderco because of drawing considerations.

PRB
07-08-2013, 21:38
PRB, I carry a Colt 1911 in a Galco high ride holster or an LW Seecamp in a back pocket wallet holster. A S&W .38 Sp. Airweight in a coat pocket. Depends on what I wear and how I wear it. I just bought a Sig P 220. I haven't bought a holster for it, yet. I usually carry an Emerson CQC-7 V in anything but scrubs. In scrubs, I carry a Benchmade or Spyderco because of drawing considerations.

Alrighty then

Barbarian
07-09-2013, 06:28
That's great feedback for anyone- user or maker. Taking note, Sir Beef. :cool:

fng13
07-09-2013, 10:43

Did this also come from knifekits? This seems to be the solution for me.

DJ Urbanovsky
07-09-2013, 11:34
Here's what I do. You don't need a bunch of crap that's going to end up in the junk drawer. Easier to just post video than try to explain it. Start watching at 2.30. You can do this with any knife. A 6" blade is right at the bleeding edge of what I can comfortably carry this way. YMMV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12QCfId1QfY

I will never advocate wearing a knife around your neck. Ever. You have your printing issues. You have your let's give our attacker a convenient grab handle (same reason I don't like neckties) or access to our weapon. But there's another problem: guess what happens when you start to tussle? The knife starts to pendulum all over the place. Now it's no longer where you expect it to be when you reach for it. Bad news.

Beef
07-09-2013, 17:24
Here's what I do. You don't need a bunch of crap that's going to end up in the junk drawer. Easier to just post video than try to explain it. Start watching at 2.30. You can do this with any knife. A 6" blade is right at the bleeding edge of what I can comfortably carry this way. YMMV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12QCfId1QfY

I will never advocate wearing a knife around your neck. Ever. You have your printing issues. You have your let's give our attacker a convenient grab handle (same reason I don't like neckties) or access to our weapon. But there's another problem: guess what happens when you start to tussle? The knife starts to pendulum all over the place. Now it's no longer where you expect it to be when you reach for it. Bad news.

Thanks for posting this, DJ. Great video. That looks like a simple, effective carry system. I've got the components, so I'll try it out soon. I agree 100% on the neck carry, for all the reasons listed. Plus if you're chest to chest with someone, you don't want to pull a knife loose in the mix. I do like a small of back carry, though. IMHO, the first time that your opponent realizes that you have a knife should be when he feels it in him. A rear carry better facilitates that, IMHO. I'll try to modify this into a rear carry. I think it'll work. I'll let you know how it pans out, DJ.

Fng13, yes, it all came from knifekits. Notice that they come in 1 1/2" and 1 3/4" belt widths, IIRC.

Barbarian, thank you! This forum is great for learning anyone who comes here. You can't quantify the value of some of the stuff I've learned here.

DJ Urbanovsky
07-11-2013, 12:01
My pleasure, Beef. Glad you found that useful.

Another problem with around the neck at bad breath distance: If it's on a ball chain, the break-away/safety aspect of the chain works against you. Instead of a having a convenient handle to move you around with, your attacker now has your knife.

Let me know how the setup works out for you. I've used it SOB, and you can really orient the knife wherever you want on the belt line with it, but my preference is still in the front somewhere between noon and three.

You can augment it with a J-hook or soft loop with snap, but I've never found that to be necessary. Belt tension tends to keep it positioned pretty well.

I concur: Concealed means concealed. :)

badshot
07-11-2013, 14:15
This (below photo) has worked for years back country and city, the lanyard is optional.

Many Cowboys carry them on their belts sideways for easy access and to not get in the way (especially on horseback) front and back using a leather sheath.