PDA

View Full Version : Mounting a tactical light on a M-4/AR

TacOfficer
05-21-2013, 13:42
Gentleman,

I remember a thread was created or was spoken of extensively on another regarding mounting tactical flash lights to M-4s and ARs.

My search skills have failed me and have not been able to find this valuable advise.

The Reaper had briefly mentioned it with his Primer under "Illumination", however I was hoping to solicit a larger discussion.

Recently I had used a Viking tactics mount to attach Surefire C2 light w/push button tail cap at the 11 o'clock position of my 16bbl AR. Also mounted is a tango down vertical grip to which I maintained a thumbs forward grip with my support hand.

Last week I received the Surefire XM07. I attached it and replaced the Viking mount with a LaRue LT606. Similar mount, slightly different offset and metal, not plastic. Also installed the tape switch that came with the XM07 to the TD vert grip.

This is the current setup. My question and I know it may just be personal preference, but: Do I keep the light in the 11 o' clock position or is there some practical reason for moving it to the 3 o' clock position I see in many posts and photos?

Comments, criticisms and suggestions are encouraged and appreciated.

TO

The Reaper
05-21-2013, 17:28
3:00 instead of 11:00 will get it off your body side of the weapon (unless you are a southpaw) and allow you to get closer to cover.

It should also get it off your sight line. Bad juju to be accidentally covering targets with it.

TR

TacOfficer
05-21-2013, 18:36
TR,

Thanks for the reply. Attached are some before and after pictures based on your recommendation. I haven't posted many pictures on line, so bear with me.

TO

miclo18d
05-21-2013, 19:08
Lots of people would mount the light at 11:00 position and use the push button on the back of the light. When a "righty" is gripping the fwd grip the button ends up right where your thumb is.

You are using a pressure switch so mount it where you want it. I was an under the barrel guy; when the team bought the Surefire M900s there wasn't any choice.

I liked the M900 but I did get a SIM round to the bridge of the nose just under the goggles that left a pretty good scar and the knowledge that leaving that light on will get you killed (not sure what hurt more) as it is the only reference point a bad guy has to aim, ref. TR's comment on off the line of sight or use a strobing technique (get a good class on that first).

TacOfficer
05-22-2013, 08:37
I'm not committed to using a pressure switch, it came with the tail cap and I was interested in the utility of it and light position. In fact, I've never had one on the fwd grip till now, but I do appreciate what TR had said about keeping the flashlight on the other side of the barrel and line of sight.

I hadn't even thought of mounting the light at the 6 o'clock position. miclo18d are you still using the M900s?

miclo18d
05-22-2013, 17:42
I'm retired now. That kind of equipment doesn't "leave" the team ($$$). The M900s are nice. Very bright. They have "driving" lights that Surefire calls navigation lights; they gently illuminate the area in front of you so you don't get the Whirling Dervishes dancing down the hallway. They have a positive OFF switch so you don't get white light ADs and don't forget and drain your batts. Battery life seemed good. Downside is they can only mount at 6 o'clock and they have an integrated broomstick. If you don't like handles go with an alternate light.

Do not take lightly what TR was talking about. There have been times when I wished I had a device that could put my light about 3 feet away from me! Get your dept to send you to the Surefire Institute or some of the places that some high speed guys run for low-light/no-light training.

And for God's sake...let's be careful out there! [queue up piano music]

TacOfficer
05-22-2013, 21:45
Our dept. rarely sends us to outside training. When they do, it's usually on the G's dime. Most officers motivated for additional training pony up out of pocket. I've attended outside training and take away what I can.

Now if only I could get some quality training from a QP......

abc_123
05-24-2013, 02:20
I'm not committed to using a pressure switch, it came with the tail cap and I was interested in the utility of it and light position. In fact, I've never had one on the fwd grip till now, but I do appreciate what TR had said about keeping the flashlight on the other side of the barrel and line of sight.

I hadn't even thought of mounting the light at the 6 o'clock position. miclo18d are you still using the M900s?

There are mounts that drop the light mounted on the right side down to about the 4 O'Clock. Easy to get to with your thumb.

I don't consider myself a gunslinger, but it worked for me. Used my thumb on the end cap of the white light (press for light...double click for constant on)... and pressure tape down low on the gangster grip for my IR. Just adjusted the flashlight mount so that when grabbing the vertical foregrip the thumb naturally fell on the back of the light.

YMMV.

frostfire
05-24-2013, 07:50
when mounting off-center with some distance from muzzle, we get shadowing, no?

A USASOC full bird pointed out to me during the soldier expo 2 years ago to mount it foward and at 12 o' clock like those Daniel Defense rail system
I have mine on 4 o'clock myself, but notice a huge shadow cast by the barrel from around 9 to 12 o'clock on the target/illuminated area. It doesn't seem to interrupt id capability esp with the 3 seconds rule *shrugs*

TacOfficer
05-24-2013, 09:07
The training I have received does teach keeping the light forward as possible, to reduce the shadow. This is mitigated by the secure gun rack we have in our vehicles which limits having anything past the front sight post. I keep the front of my light flush with the FSB.

TacOfficer
05-24-2013, 09:10
I did have to move the light back a bit after taking the above pictures because if you notice, its not flush with the FSB.

The Reaper
05-24-2013, 11:16
The training I have received does teach keeping the light forward as possible, to reduce the shadow. This is mitigated by the secure gun rack we have in our vehicles which limits having anything past the front sight post. I keep the front of my light flush with the FSB.

Exactly.

The shadow is more of a function of how far the light is from the muzzle and how close to the barrel it is mounted than anything else. Barrel length is a factor as well.

I definitely do not advocate anything on the rail at 12:00 other than sights or an optic unless it is very low profile, like an ATPIAL.

TR

TacOfficer
05-26-2013, 18:18
"Exactly", High praise, I am humbled. It's nice to get it right without embarrassing myself first.

I do encourage more opinions and preferences on the subject.

As for me, I'm going adapt to the new configuration and pass along this knowledge to my peers.

Thank you for the advice. I am assured it's come from experience.

TO

The_Mentalist
06-23-2013, 06:39
I run a stream light protac that has strobe function integral. It is not one of the high speed low drag super models, but does a heck of a job. I mount mine at 3 o clock as far forward as I can. I do not use a pressure switch because I prefer to use the tail cap. That is my preference and not necessarily the way to go for any one else. I do recommend a strobing light over doing it manually. Trying to concentrate on manually strobing in a high stress situation is just one more thing that can be a distraction.

TacOfficer
06-25-2013, 09:48
Are you a lefty?

The Reaper
06-25-2013, 17:53
Anyone I see with a strobe on gets several quick shots, just cause I don't like them and they are crying out for the attention.

TR

TacOfficer
06-25-2013, 18:26
I've never had training for strobes or has it been suggested. I am curious about a 3 o'clock position of a push button tail cap. Unless you're a lefty I don't see how you reach it.

Peregrino
06-25-2013, 19:02
Anyone I see with a strobe on gets several quick shots, just cause I don't like them and they are crying out for the attention.

TR

Damn boss; you beat me to it again! :p