PDA

View Full Version : One of you knife makers educate me.

alelks
05-20-2013, 20:55
This is a great video showing the forging of an axe from a chunk of metal.

The only think I don't understand is why he splits the edge and then puts it back together. I can only imagine because by splitting it he is compressing the metal but it would seem that smithing (is that a word???) it back together again would still not be as strong. Of course I know many knives are layered so that may have something to do with it but I need some education on this one.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=216_1368998549

The Reaper
05-20-2013, 21:00
I can't get it to open, but maybe he is forming the eye for the haft?

Not sure you could make a Damascus head that would not separate in use.

TR

alelks
05-20-2013, 21:15
No, he's actually splitting the blade down the center after cutting the hole for the handle and then putting it back together. That puzzles me.

alelks
05-20-2013, 21:21
I get it now. He splits it several times starting the "Fire Welding" process. he then cuts a steel wedge which he inserts into the split piece and then forges this piece into the tip/blade of the axe.

This process starts at about 5:16.

pyreaux
05-20-2013, 22:04
There's a note about the 2 steels he's using and the insertion of the edge at the bottom of the video at the beginning

Peregrino
05-20-2013, 22:31
Different carbon content in the cutting edge (forge welded into the "split") than the body of the axe. The body is relatively soft to withstand the shock of repeated chopping, the inserted, high carbon edge is relatively harder to take and hold (the proper for an axe) edge. A technique for smithing 'hawks consists of folding a piece of low carbon steel around a mandrel to form the poll/eye, forge welding the cheek/blade together and then inserting the high carbon cutting edge between the two halves before final forge welding them together. It's all finished with a differential temper to harden the cutting edge without hardening the body.

JJ_BPK
05-21-2013, 06:22
Different carbon content in the cutting edge ...

What P said..

Here is a description of piled steel for blades..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laminated_steel_blade