PDA

View Full Version : Earl - Backcountry Survival Tablet

DIYPatriot
05-13-2013, 14:35
I was curious if anyone has heard of this device (http://www.meetearl.com/) or used something similar for their extended stay vacations in the great outdoors. My tablet bit the dust and I came across this one.

Some of the features include:

Bluetooth 4.0, ANT+ and Android Beam data sharing
Weather sensors (temp, humidity, barometric pressure, anemometer & compass
2-way radio featuring a FRS, GMRS and MURS transceiver; sends secure text/voice messages
AM/FM/SW/LW radio tuner; NOAA
Compatible with other Android Apps
Laminated solar panel - 20 hours of battery life; USB power capable
Glove friendly, infrared touch screen w/3D joypad and gyroscope
Water/Dust/Shock/Mud proof; IP67 rated
Starting price: $249

I'm pretty rough on my electronics and open to any ideas or suggestions for a tablet that can tough it whenever I decide to rough it and take a little technology into the woods (hiking, 4-wheeling, etc for days at a time).

sinjefe
05-13-2013, 16:24
Only in today's world could this device be considered for survival.

longrange1947
05-13-2013, 18:09
Does not appear to be ready for prime time, they are asking for pre-orders to fund I do believe. I may be wrong but I would be very leery.

JMART5
05-13-2013, 19:17

The wife and I watched some sort of Alaskan survival show last night where 6 or 7 dudes are dropped off and they have to navigate 50 miles in 72 hours to an LZ to get picked up. They were talking about how they DID NOT have GPS or any other tech gear, just a map, some matches, some tarps (but NO tents), a bow and arrow, rice, beans, .......I think we were supposed to be impressed at how bad they had it. When my head turned to look at my wife (with my jaw dropped and eyebrows crinkled), she was already smiling at me. I didn't have to say anything (she knew what I was going to say).... BUT I DID. After I spent several minutes going off about how well those guys had it, she said something like, "Yeah I know". She's heard it all before--especially after SERE school.

Sinjefe--I do believe we are old school. And when those GPS and survival tablets quit working, these new age survivalist will wish they were too. LMAO...

sinjefe
05-13-2013, 19:24
They were talking about how they DID NOT have GPS or any other tech gear, just a map, some matches, some tarps (but NO tents), a bow and arrow, rice, beans, .......I think we were supposed to be impressed at how bad they had it.

All you really "need" is a knife. Those folks had it good.

JMART5
05-13-2013, 19:26

The wife and I watched some sort of Alaskan survival show last night where 6 or 7 dudes are dropped off and they have to navigate 50 miles in 72 hours to an LZ to get picked up. They were talking about how they DID NOT have GPS or any other tech gear, just a map, some matches, some tarps (but NO tents), a bow and arrow, rice, beans, .......I think we were supposed to be impressed at how bad they had it. When my head turned to look at my wife (with my jaw dropped and eyebrows crinkled), she was already smiling at me. I didn't have to say anything (she knew what I was going to say).... BUT I DID. After I spent several minutes going off about how well those guys had it, she said something like, "Yeah I know". She's heard it all before--especially after SERE school.

Sinjefe--I do believe we are old school. And when those GPS and survival tablets quit working, these new age survivalist will wish they were too. LMAO...

badshot
05-13-2013, 20:23
I was curious if anyone has heard of this device (http://www.meetearl.com/) or used something similar for their extended stay vacations in the great outdoors. My tablet bit the dust and I came across this one.

Some of the features include:

Bluetooth 4.0, ANT+ and Android Beam data sharing
Weather sensors (temp, humidity, barometric pressure, anemometer & compass
2-way radio featuring a FRS, GMRS and MURS transceiver; sends secure text/voice messages
AM/FM/SW/LW radio tuner; NOAA
Compatible with other Android Apps
Laminated solar panel - 20 hours of battery life; USB power capable
Glove friendly, infrared touch screen w/3D joypad and gyroscope
Water/Dust/Shock/Mud proof; IP67 rated
Starting price: $249

I'm pretty rough on my electronics and open to any ideas or suggestions for a tablet that can tough it whenever I decide to rough it and take a little technology into the woods (hiking, 4-wheeling, etc for days at a time).
Don't have any experience with item but the Rating is not high enough for hardcore use overtime. It would probably last me about a month...
If you don't have one use the money and buy a Cammenga Model 3H and know how to use it...it'll serve you better in the long run and work when you need it to.

Edit by Razor: Normal size font is good enough for the rest of us, so its also good enough for you.

DIYPatriot
05-13-2013, 23:30
Thank you for the responses, gentlemen! Your points are well-taken. ;) On the other hand, I still need to find a toddler proof tablet. My 2 year old was the culprit this time as she baptized my tablet over the weekend.

badshot
05-14-2013, 01:49
Thank you for the responses, gentlemen! Your points are well-taken. ;) On the other hand, I still need to find a toddler proof tablet. My 2 year old was the culprit this time as she baptized my tablet over the weekend.
...as long as the mentioned tablet ain't moving and is less than a meter deep, it'll keep workin' :D