PDA

View Full Version : Magnetospeed Chronogaph

WRMETTLER
05-09-2013, 10:32
Gentlemen,

Now that my kids are gone (mostly), I’m thinking about resuming long range shooting competition.

I need to purchase a new chronograph.

I am investigating a Magnetospeed chronograph which uses electromagnetic sensors to measure velocity. It uses a bayonet like device that attaches to the muzzle. This device contains the sensors that are claimed to be immune to muzzle blast. I’ve seen some forum threads that show this device is comparable to an Ohler P35 at half the cost.

The big selling factor is that it appears to be hugely simple to use. Just strap it onto the barrel and shoot.

So my question: Has anyone here used this device and if so, what are your thoughts about it. I’ve searched but can’t find any reference to this item.

Thanks.

Team Sergeant
05-09-2013, 10:34
Gentlemen,

Now that my kids are gone (mostly), I’m thinking about resuming long range shooting competition.

I need to purchase a new chronograph.

I am investigating a Magnetospeed chronograph which uses electromagnetic sensors to measure velocity. It uses a bayonet like device that attaches to the muzzle. This device contains the sensors that are claimed to be immune to muzzle blast. I’ve seen some forum threads that show this device is comparable to an Ohler P35 at half the cost.

The big selling factor is that it appears to be hugely simple to use. Just strap it onto the barrel and shoot.

So my question: Has anyone here used this device and if so, what are your thoughts about it. I’ve searched but can’t find any reference to this item.

Thanks.

Sounds nice but what if you want to measure velocity at say 100m, 200m, 500m?

WRMETTLER
05-09-2013, 10:47
TS,

I'm not that obsessive.

I'll use an on-line ballistic program for the drop, wind, etc once I get the basic velocity and then I'll check the program results with what happens on the range.

I like to use the JBM Ballistics on-line program.

Besides I'm not good enough to shoot through a chronograph at 500 yds. I'd go broke shooting the sensors.

Bill

Papa Zero Three
05-09-2013, 12:53
I haven't used one personally but those who do that I have spoken to speak highly of it's abilities compared to other makes out there. The only "con" about it that I have heard is it's issue with detecting lead bullets shot over it. Everything else it seems to excel at.

koz
05-09-2013, 16:06
I've got one. I've also got a Pro Chrony. I haven't taken the Pro Chrony out since I got the Magnetospeed.

I also have access to an Oehler 85 which is probably the best commercial chronograph out there. (It can give velocity at the target, actual BC, shot placement on an acoustic target, pressures, etc... )

The Magnetospeed is extremely close in velocity compared to the Oehler. The standard chronographs vary greatly with light conditions. Another plus, is I can strap the MS on at night and get a velocity for load development. The "guys" who own the Oehler have purchased many MS to use.

With a Truing function on a Ballistic Calculator or ATRAG, I can just about be as accurate with the MS as the Oehler.

longrange1947
05-09-2013, 19:31
With Koz, with the new ballistic programs, you can find your MV and then shoot at say 600 and from the adjustment required compute the true velocity at that range. ATRAG is one, another is Precision Workbench. I have used both, ATRAG is easier to use while Workbench is more complete.

I have not used the magnetospeed but would like to see it in action.

My 2 cents. :D

Ramirez
05-11-2013, 22:12
Sounds nice but what if you want to measure velocity at say 100m, 200m, 500m?

I would suggest one of these, and a chronograph for distance,if that's what you're going for.

Really, I have the magneto speed, but I just got it to get a baseline . Like the others stated ,I find it to be more accurate to "true" my dope out to 1000 yards. Magneto speed says my speeds are 2800 fps, my Horus kestrel and iphone apps both hit the right spots at 2830fps.

I start w/ 2800 then measure hits at 500,700,900 and 1000 then plug those into my ballistic programs.

YMMV, this has been working very well for me. I used it w/ 178hpbt, 178 amax and Berger 140g hybrids.

WRMETTLER
05-15-2013, 17:26
Gentlemen, I appreciate your responses. I purchased a Magnetospeed. One obvious issue with the Magnetospeed is that it can’t be attached to a semi-automatic pistol (or can it?), but other than that, I’m looking forward to using it.

I didn’t mean to be flippant in my response to TS’ post. As I shot only at set ranges in competition, I used my MV to get on paper and then chased the spotter into the black. Once I had the sights set where I wanted them, I recorded those drops. I never really thought to calculate the true MV as I didn’t need it.

So, again I ask for your thoughts on a mobile app to calculate the true MV. I couldn’t find where the apps referenced by LR1947 can be used on the iOS. My wife won’t allow PCs in the house. We only have Macs , iPads or iphones. Is there a decent mobile app for an iphone or an iPad? Ramirez noted his use of an iphone app, and I was wondering what app he used?

And, as a curiosity, how was the true MV determined “back in the day” before the mobile apps?

Thanks.

longrange1947
05-15-2013, 19:48
The MV down range was computed by setting up a sky screen set at range and firing through. 600 was about as far as I would go. It would allow me to determine BC on a bullet using Barnes Ballistics (DOS version, windows version sucks) and inputting vel at muzzle and remaining at 300, 400, or 600. Needed two Chronos though to do this with any accuracy as from bullet to bullet error would eat you if you fired one bullet set for initial vel and another bullet set for at range velocity. Generally this was done at only 300 to 400 yards on a KD range with calm conditions. From there you would run the ranges with the data and then "dope " the ranges with actual firing on targets at set ranges.

Things are a bit easier now. :D

Papa Zero Three
05-15-2013, 20:39
Gentlemen, I appreciate your responses. I purchased a Magnetospeed. One obvious issue with the Magnetospeed is that it can’t be attached to a semi-automatic pistol (or can it?), but other than that, I’m looking forward to using it.

I didn’t mean to be flippant in my response to TS’ post. As I shot only at set ranges in competition, I used my MV to get on paper and then chased the spotter into the black. Once I had the sights set where I wanted them, I recorded those drops. I never really thought to calculate the true MV as I didn’t need it.

So, again I ask for your thoughts on a mobile app to calculate the true MV. I couldn’t find where the apps referenced by LR1947 can be used on the iOS. My wife won’t allow PCs in the house. We only have Macs , iPads or iphones. Is there a decent mobile app for an iphone or an iPad? Ramirez noted his use of an iphone app, and I was wondering what app he used?

And, as a curiosity, how was the true MV determined “back in the day” before the mobile apps?

Thanks.

There are several out there but the 2 that seem to be used the most are Ballistic AE and Shooter , both iphone/pad apps. Ballistic AE is favored by most and the author is actively involved with user feed back and requests for options frm users to be added. I have both and my preference is Ballistic AE. Which ever one you decide to use, make sure you spend some time reading the user manual. Both are intitutive to a degree but I found the manual to be worth taking the time to read after scratching my head a few times. Here is a link to the authors thread to give you an idea of how proactive he is in it's staying up to date.

http://forum.snipershide.com/range-report-exterior-ballistics/147011-ballistic-ae-what-missing-you-want.html

Ramirez
05-18-2013, 08:54
I'm a big fan of ballistic AE, I really like how you can measure groups on it. It does however have a bit of a learning curve.

I made a video to help with that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D09D3tRqyDU

Also, w/ the magneto speed, this was not a big deal to me, but some like to see what speed gives them the best groups. Well as you would figure, the magneto speed will throw your groups and POI all over the place. I'd suggest finding a load that works on paper then testing the MV of it.

WRMETTLER
05-22-2013, 11:06
Gentlemen, thank you all for your responses. I certainly appreciate the experience and expertise on this site.

I've purchased the Ballistic AE program. I'm in the process of learning it.

Now all I need is to find some bullets and powder so I can use these new toys.

Thanks.

frostfire
11-11-2015, 12:32
I'm a big fan of ballistic AE, I really like how you can measure groups on it. It does however have a bit of a learning curve.

I made a video to help with that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D09D3tRqyDU

Also, w/ the magneto speed, this was not a big deal to me, but some like to see what speed gives them the best groups. Well as you would figure, the magneto speed will throw your groups and POI all over the place. I'd suggest finding a load that works on paper then testing the MV of it.

solid video, thanks.

have you discovered if your Magneto works with semiauto pistol as well? I want to verify these Atlanta Arms ammo velocity consistency...you know, trying to make sure those 8's and 7's at 50 yards are not user-induced :D

Also, how much POI shift have you discovered? How about with using the piccatiny adapter instead? I'm thinking of mounting the V3 right in front of the OBR bipod

Papa Zero Three
11-11-2015, 17:50

At the risk of sounding like Cpt obvious here, I will mention this. If you are using the magneto speed chrono on your weapon, it is to do one thing, find out the MV of your weapon with that round/load. If you are using it while also trying to test a load out and or when grouping you are doing it wrong, you can't do everything at once and expect realistic results. With that said, some weapons are more sensitive than others when something is attached to the muzzle than others. It is also possible to shoot with the MS3 on your weapon and have no noticeable shifts, YMMV. Bottom line, do one thing at a time, if the MS3 is attached, it is to measure MV and thats it.