PDA

View Full Version : H&K USP vs. SMith and Wesson M&P

Nclewis
05-06-2013, 09:37
Hello all, I have searched around but couldn't find a good comparison between these two pistols. I'm looking at buying a new EDC compact and would like some advice, Pros and cons on each if someone could. I'm looking at either a H&K USP .40 compact or a M&P .40 compact. Does anyone have info on why I should lean towards one more than the other? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Dusty
05-06-2013, 09:41
MP = Chevy
HK = Cadillac

Nclewis
05-06-2013, 09:53
MP = Chevy
HK = Cadillac

LOL, Dusty I'm a Ford man, how about MP=Ford and HK= Lincoln. But thanks for the reply.

Dusty
05-06-2013, 10:05
LOL, Dusty I'm a Ford man, how about MP=Ford and HK= Lincoln. But thanks for the reply.

The trigger is the main difference. I like HK for that reason and others, but it's subjective. As posted, the best thing to do is shoot them, then pick. They both go bang very consistently.

Nclewis
05-06-2013, 10:06
Handle both and shoot both if possible then see what fits YOUR hand better.

I have a good bit of time behind a friend's MP but have onl put a dfew mags through the Hk. Besides the HK feeling a good bit lighter I'd almost say they're equal.

JimP
05-06-2013, 10:22
Check out the M&P Shield before you order anything. They are the "nutz". I have two on order, (and have been on order for the last 6 months...).

I also have an M&P compact and full size as well as a H&K USP in .40 that I had Teddy Jacobsen work on. My favorite carry piece at present is the M&P. :lifter

Team Sergeant
05-06-2013, 10:31

More like MP equals a Ford Focus and the HK is the BMW...... and you can take that to the bank.

Smith & Wesson
2100 Roosevelt Avenue
Springfield, MA 01104

And besides I don't purchase guns from this state.......

Brian C
05-06-2013, 11:12
Keep in mind holsters for HK aren't nearly as common as ones for the M&P.

Barbarian
05-06-2013, 11:20

It's a piece of cake finding holsters for my HK.

Team Sergeant
05-06-2013, 11:20

I have lots of them............:munchin

Your search skills are lacking? :rolleyes:

Some of the finest HK holsters money can buy can be found right here:

http://www.kramerleather.com/

DIYPatriot
05-06-2013, 11:25

I didn't have any issues with mine. YMMV

RavenConcealment (http://www.ravenconcealment.com/holsters/appendix-carry-rig-acr/acr-holster/acr-holster-heckler-koch)

Kramer (http://www.kramerleather.com/which-holster.cfm?pageAction=displayHolsters&productID=2&categoryID=23)

CrossBreed (http://crossbreedholsters.com/SuperTuckDeluxe/tabid/90/List/0/ProductID/1/CategoryID/1/Level/1/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName)

Dusty
05-06-2013, 13:17
The answer is to buy both then. :D

Actually look at cost, cost of extra mags and availability. All else being equal I would go with the HK even if it cost a little more. The reason being is IMHO their QA is better.

What's "QA"?

fng13
05-06-2013, 13:20
More like MP equals a Ford Focus and the HK is the BMW...... and you can take that to the bank.

Smith & Wesson
2100 Roosevelt Avenue
Springfield, MA 01104

And besides I don't purchase guns from this state.......

TS- not to derail this thread but;

Do you run DA/SA or LEM?

Barbarian
05-06-2013, 13:20
Quality Assurance.

SF18C
05-06-2013, 13:27
Man up to a .45ACP...get a Springfield Armory XDs!

FTW!!!

Dusty
05-06-2013, 14:52
Quality Assurance ie tolerance and letting broken and screwed up shit out the door from the factory.

Well, in that case, from what I've experienced, HK is numero uno in that category.

Team Sergeant
05-06-2013, 15:35
TS- not to derail this thread but;

Do you run DA/SA or LEM?

DA/SA.

That said if I were to get into a gunfight and I have a "sec" to spare I'd pull back the hammer on my HK before or as I'm drawing it.;)

Shiftee
05-06-2013, 15:53
I love mine USP9c. Almost finished cerakoting it at the moment. The only issue I've had is parts being occasionally difficult to come by. When I got this one I was between it, an M&P, and a Sig 226. I wanted the Sig, I performed more consistently with the HK.

Nclewis
05-06-2013, 16:00
I can always count on you guys for good banter. I'm leaning toward the Hk for the fact that it can be da and sa, and that it is lighter and a better ttrigger. Plus, yall are right about the quality, can't be beat.

Team Sergeant
05-06-2013, 16:04
I can always count on you guys for good banter. I'm leaning toward the Hk for the fact that it can be da and sa, and that it is lighter and a better ttrigger. Plus, yall are right about the quality, can't be beat.

We know just a tad about weapons and their employment...:munchin

Nclewis
05-06-2013, 16:06
We know just a tad about weapons and their employment...:munchin

I would say so, that's why I asked the best there is for advice. Thank you sir.

Brian C
05-06-2013, 19:28
Man I was way off, I was thinking duty gear. Screwed up there!

Stiletto11
05-06-2013, 21:01
Check out the HK 45C, just got one after months of looking for one reasonably priced. Ordered the Crossbreed IWB holster. This is my third HK and is in my opinion one of the finest handguns money can buy. You can also order 10 rd mags and a threaded barrel if you so desire. My second choice would be the Springfield XD. Just my 2 cents.

fng13
05-06-2013, 22:07
DA/SA.

That said if I were to get into a gunfight and I have a "sec" to spare I'd pull back the hammer on my HK before or as I'm drawing it.;)

Got it. Thank you.

I was thinking about converting to light LEM so all my pistols are DAO, not sold on it though because the trigger pull is so smooth as is, even if it is heavy with hammer down.

ES 96
05-07-2013, 03:44
DA/SA.

TS, what is your current preference between the different HK DA/SA trigger variants, V1/V3/V9?

I was curious what QPs' thoughts were on the the V3 DA/SA decock-only/no safety setup.

Thanks!

Team Sergeant
05-07-2013, 10:28
TS, what is your current preference between the different HK DA/SA trigger variants, V1/V3/V9?

I was curious what QPs' thoughts were on the the V3 DA/SA decock-only/no safety setup.

Thanks!

I like to have a thumb safety, just very used to it after cutting my teeth on many 1911's. Another reason I hate the glock, the safety is in the wrong spot......

The Reaper
05-07-2013, 16:59
Got it. Thank you.

I was thinking about converting to light LEM so all my pistols are DAO, not sold on it though because the trigger pull is so smooth as is, even if it is heavy with hammer down.

So, you are looking for heavy, mushy triggers on all off your pistols?

TR

fng13
05-07-2013, 19:40
So, you are looking for heavy, mushy triggers on all off your pistols?

TR

Not quite.

The thinking being any of my pistols which range from HK, M&P, Kel-tech, Revolvers all being manipulated in similar fashions, no external
safeties to mess with and consistent trigger pull.

My understanding the light LEM trigger sits the pull weight at around 4.5#.

I've heard good things about the LEM trigger but haven't shot one. The DA pull on my USP is smooth but heavy. Hoping to have a consistent smooth but lighter pull with the LEM.

I'll give you though that my M&P has a pretty mushy/gritty trigger, when money becomes more available its going to get the apex trigger set up to remedy that.

mdpatterson
05-07-2013, 21:51
If you haven't shot one, try it out before you buy. I have a Mark 23, USP Tactical .45, USP Tactical .40, USP V1 .40 (All SA/DA) and a USP compact .40 (LEM). It's not even an issue of getting used to it, it's just not a good trigger. The only reason I still have the compact with the LEM is that it is an issued weapon. Just my opinion, but I'm obviously a big fan of the HK USP platform........not this trigger though.

Mike

fng13
05-08-2013, 07:55
I'd love to try one but as I don't venture to public ranges much, I'm limited in my options there. I'll probably have to just buy one and if it doesn't work out I'll sell it off.

I'm guessing that if it's an issued weapon it has the heavier spring set.

I appreciate the input, I'll probably leave it alone for now.

ETA: Commercial pilots packing USPC? Good for you. :lifter

Dusty
05-08-2013, 08:50
I'd love to try one but as I don't venture to public ranges much, I'm limited in my options there. I'll probably have to just buy one and if it doesn't work out I'll sell it off.

I'm guessing that if it's an issued weapon it has the heavier spring set.

LEM's are either about 4.5 or 7.5 lbs, depending on the type.

Why don't you save your money, book a few sessions with the Team Sergeant, then buy your weapon?

fng13
05-08-2013, 10:05
LEM's are either about 4.5 or 7.5 lbs, depending on the type.

Why don't you save your money, book a few sessions with the Team Sergeant, then buy your weapon?

Dusty,

I didn't even know this was an option. :eek: :confused:

To be clear I already own the gun, I was just talking about buying the conversion kit which runs about $80.

Dusty
05-08-2013, 14:45
Dusty,

I didn't even know this was an option. :eek: :confused:

To be clear I already own the gun, I was just talking about buying the conversion kit which runs about $80.

Well, it should come either light pull or heavy. The heavy is nearly 8 pounds.

Stiletto11
05-08-2013, 20:12
On the 45c it's a long pull not a heavy one. I have the DA/SA and you can carry it cocked and locked like a 1911. From what I have read the LEM is not easy to get used to, however, you can buy the kit to convert and if you don't like it go back to the V1. This isn't a sniper rifle, shoot the gun and see if you like it.

fng13
05-08-2013, 20:42
Some how we got way off track, I'm sure it is my fault for not being clear enough.

I appreciate all the insight, but let me clear some things up.

I have had the USPc and FS for a while both are V1.

I've shot them a fair amount but was thinking about converting them to light LEM based on similarity across platforms with my other pistols along with favorable reviews I've read on hkpro.com.

I'm not buying a new pistol and didn't mean to derail the thread from the OP.

Also, I'm a lefty so V1 cocked and locked doesn't work well for me as the safety is set up for a righty. If I carry them I carry hammer down safety off.

Again, thank you for the insight. Consensus seems to be leave them alone and I think I will for now, atleast until I get the itch to fix something that ain't broke. ;):p

PSM
05-08-2013, 20:42
This isn't a sniper rifle,

Might be a sniper pistol, though. ;)

Pat

Team Sergeant
05-09-2013, 07:54
On the 45c it's a long pull not a heavy one. I have the DA/SA and you can carry it cocked and locked like a 1911. From what I have read the LEM is not easy to get used to, however, you can buy the kit to convert and if you don't like it go back to the V1. This isn't a sniper rifle, shoot the gun and see if you like it.

Maybe not in your hands....... I can shoot bullet holes through bullet holes with that same weapon. :munchin

Barbarian
05-09-2013, 10:11
I can shoot bullet holes through bullet holes with that same weapon.:munchin

Smokin Joe's video of it is still on here, somewhere.

Team Sergeant
05-09-2013, 10:25
Smokin Joe's video of it is still on here, somewhere.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5965

I was a little off that day......:munchin

There's also a few on here that have see me shoot a dead cactus at 300m with a .45........

Dusty
05-09-2013, 10:38
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5965

I was a little off that day......:munchin

There's also a few on here that have see me shoot a dead cactus at 300m with a .45........

Most people don't realize you shot 12 rounds into the same hole.

Team Sergeant
05-09-2013, 10:40
Most people don't realize you shot 12 rounds into the same hole.

Don't laugh, I've actually shot 8-10 through the same hole....and I have witnesses :p

WRMETTLER
05-09-2013, 10:41
I'll vouch for TS and his sniper HK pistol.

I saw him shoot a .45 brass off a .45 brass at 7 paces without knocking the bottom piece off the wood.
and then he shot the other .45 brass off the wood.

I still think it's a trick somehow.

Dusty
05-09-2013, 10:45
Don't laugh, I've actually shot 8-10 through the same hole....and I have witnesses :p

I'll bet you a case of beer I can outshoot you.

Why fiddlefart around. Where do you want me to send the case? (Carling Black Label) :D

Team Sergeant
05-09-2013, 10:49
I once was asked to teach pistol instruction to the NCO's and officers of the 35th SIG Batt on FT Bragg. Just me.

I arrive and asked to do a demo for them. I asked for one of "their" weapons, "their" ammo and a target.

I asked them to crowd around me and make noise, wave arms, scream and yell, just don't touch me or get in front of me.
I then shot seven rounds through the same hole from 3m, their gun their ammo. And boy did they try to distract me.

When I finished I said:
"Your weapons are accurate."
"Your ammo is accurate."
"I know what I'm talking about so listen."

I had their undivided attention the rest of the day. I was told that I raised their pistol shooting ability, unit wide, by 35% in two hours.

Team Sergeant
05-09-2013, 10:50
I'll bet you a case of beer I can outshoot you.

:D

LOL, Dave Harrington said the same thing years ago.......:D

SF18C
05-09-2013, 11:18
I once was asked to teach pistol instruction to the NCO's and officers of the 35th SIG Batt on FT Bragg. Just me.

I arrive and asked to do a demo for them. I asked for one of "their" weapons, "their" ammo and a target.

I asked them to crowd around me and make noise, wave arms, scream and yell, just don't touch me or get in front of me.
I then shot seven rounds through the same hole from 3m, their gun their ammo. And boy did they try to distract me.

When I finished I said:
"Your weapons are accurate."
"Your ammo is accurate."
"I know what I'm talking about so listen."

I had their undivided attention the rest of the day. I was told that I raised their pistol shooting ability, unit wide, by 35% in two hours.

It was the 35th SIG for crying out loud...just getting them to face the right direction with a gun in their hand would have been an improvement! :D