PDA

View Full Version : Freeman Outdoor Gear

x SF med
04-28-2013, 11:01
Jeff Freeman, formerly of a legendary cutlery company in Portland, has started his own sharp pointy company. The Spartan boys, Harsey, Chris Reeve, Ken Onion, yada yada... know Jeff, and have seen his stuff, I got the first 'across the table' sale for his first solo design at the OKCA show - he's got orders, but the rest of them are going to the laser engraver to get 'Freemanized'. Mine gto all scratched up with his initials and the date of the sale, and is conspicuous because it does not have the Freeman Eagle (told him he needs to have his upcoming website play Freebird) engraved on it. (he's got more, but I actually bought a T-shirt for an ungodly price and he let me look through the 'scratch and dent pile' for a knife he'd throw in after scratching it up some more...)

the knife is a medium sized, medium - almost heavy duty drop point camp/field utility knife. Blade length ~ 4.25", blade height ~1.125" handle is G-10 and about 6" long. Well designed, doesn't slip, comes with a kydex sheath, lanyard, and can be changed out from a kydex belt loop to the blade-tech QR's or Molle with their new molle attachers ... once I take pics i'll post them, and once I get a chance to try breaking it i'll write the review.

Many of you already own knives Jeff has designed, produced or sharpened ... you just don't know it.

JJ_BPK
04-28-2013, 11:19
the knife is..

insert pointy thing picture(s) here "........................................."

:D

Barbarian
04-29-2013, 07:09
Jeff Freeman, formerly of a legendary cutlery company in Portland, has started his own sharp pointy company. The Spartan boys, Harsey, Chris Reeve, Ken Onion, yada yada... know Jeff, and have seen his stuff, I got the first 'across the table' sale for his first solo design at the OKCA show - he's got orders, but the rest of them are going to the laser engraver to get 'Freemanized'. Mine gto all scratched up with his initials and the date of the sale, and is conspicuous because it does not have the Freeman Eagle (told him he needs to have his upcoming website play Freebird) engraved on it. (he's got more, but I actually bought a T-shirt for an ungodly price and he let me look through the 'scratch and dent pile' for a knife he'd throw in after scratching it up some more...)

the knife is a medium sized, medium - almost heavy duty drop point camp/field utility knife. Blade length ~ 4.25", blade height ~1.125" handle is G-10 and about 6" long. Well designed, doesn't slip, comes with a kydex sheath, lanyard, and can be changed out from a kydex belt loop to the blade-tech QR's or Molle with their new molle attachers ... once I take pics i'll post them, and once I get a chance to try breaking it i'll write the review.

Man, you get all the cool autographs.

Congrats on the knife. What kind of steel and hardness is it? Approximate spine thickness? Looking forward to the review.(and pics :p)

x SF med
06-11-2013, 15:34
Steel = CPM-S-35VN with a flat dark earth coating, khaki G-10 Scales and came with a kydex belt sheath that can be modified for molle attachments (hard kydex belt hanger can be removed by turning a couple of screws)

Loa = 8 7/8"
blade = 3 3/4" x 1 7/16" x 3/16"
modified drop point - kind of has design elements of both clip and drop points
well balanced in the hand, even though most of the weight feels like it's in the full tang handle, the handle profile is working style with very flat sides that are grooved to provide grip. there is no taper to the tang in the handle it is 3/16" of steel with 2x 1/8" scales.

The first real fine work will be started tonight or tomorrow when I skin and smooth a few western red cedar saplings to make walking sticks (after they dry - skinning is easier when they're really green as is knocking down the branch knots) .

So far I have to say Jeff did a fine job on the knife, I'm looking forward to his next design.

No pics yet, my camera doesn't play nice with my new computer, and the phone pics are okay but not stellar.

Roguish Lawyer
06-11-2013, 15:43
I'm not opening this thread again until you figure it out, knuckledragger

Roguish Lawyer
06-11-2013, 15:47
Too slow! Is this the blade?

x SF med
06-11-2013, 19:58
I'm not opening this thread again until you figure it out, knuckledragger

I figured it out... I have to buy a new camera that's supported under Win 7, so I can upgrade it in a year or two to a camera that's supported under Win 8...

yes, that's the black/grey version, mine is the tan/flat dark earth version without the laser engraving, but the knifemaker's scratches are all over one side of the blade...

Barbarian
06-12-2013, 06:35
Loa = 8 7/8"
blade = 3 3/4" x 1 7/16" x 3/16"
modified drop point - kind of has design elements of both clip and drop points
well balanced in the hand, even though most of the weight feels like it's in the full tang handle, the handle profile is working style with very flat sides that are grooved to provide grip. there is no taper to the tang in the handle it is 3/16" of steel with 2x 1/8" scales.

The first real fine work will be started tonight or tomorrow when I skin and smooth a few western red cedar saplings to make walking sticks (after they dry - skinning is easier when they're really green as is knocking down the branch knots) .

Looks and sounds like a great design. That's a nice size and handle thickness for carry in a IWB sheath, as a replacement for a folder, too.

Jfreeman
06-13-2013, 11:53
Thanks ex SF med for the mention here; it was good talking to you and seeing you at the show. Let me know how your testing works out and if you have any questions, let me know.
Knives are currently at a "professional" photographer being shot and I should have them on the website soon.
I also have a smaller version that is a similar profile but with a 3.25" blade.
Got excellent feedback at Blade, and am currently working on the folding version.

CRUSADERSTEEL
03-21-2014, 07:01
I figured it out... I have to buy a new camera that's supported under Win 7, so I can upgrade it in a year or two to a camera that's supported under Win 8...

yes, that's the black/grey version, mine is the tan/flat dark earth version without the laser engraving, but the knifemaker's scratches are all over one side of the blade...

Without pictures.. you can't believe ANYTHING this guy says! :D

JJ_BPK
03-21-2014, 08:24
This FOG found the FOG..

insert pointy thing picture(s) here "........................................."
:D

Today we're going to take a look at the FOG 451 compact and full sized fixed blades. These were designed for anything from general field and utility work, to use as a full on survival knife or bug out bag blade. If you are looking for a fixed blade you will certainly wanna look at these Freeman 451 fixed blades. With two sizes available, you can perfectly match a fixed blade for your systems.

FOG 451 Compact Specifications:
Overall Length - 8.00"
Blade Length - 3.25"
Blade Thickness - 0.19"
Handle Length - 4.75"
Handle Thickness - 0.50"
Handle Material - G10
Blade Steel - S35VN, 59-61RC
Weight - 6.23oz

FOG 451 Full Size Specifications:
Overall Length - 8.875"
Blade Length - 3.75"