PDA

View Full Version : lasEK

resonant evil
11-06-2004, 00:27
This could probably be in the medical forums but i try to stay away from there. Has bearing here also.

I had lasEK done on tues, and while i am happy i am not in arabic, the last three days has been lots of sleep and drug use. Now to some that would be a good couple of days.

During my hours awake I have been doing various bodyweight exercises (ala Pavel and Furey). I have been thinking about doing some cardio though. I have asked around and have found some people started up the day after surgery and others weeks later. Of course my profile says I have to keep my heart rate below 60 bpm for 30 days. So I am just throwing a line out to see if there are any ideas out there.

NousDefionsDoc
11-06-2004, 01:13
Yeah, I have an idea or two - FOLLOWS THE DOCTOR'S ORDERS TO THE LETTER.

They don't want your heart rate up because they are concerned about pressure on the vessels in your eyes. The vomiting is probably from anesthesia.

Doctor's don't make up orders to mess with people. They do it because they learned, usually through something unpleasant happening to a patient, what works and what doesn't. Now, you just payed for this surgery, went to all the pain and trouble to get it done - don't mess it up by doing jumping jacks or whatever. DO EXACTLY WHAT THEY TOLD YOU TO DO. No more - no less.

How's that for an idea?

37F5V
11-06-2004, 08:38
My significant other had the procedure done in 02 and followed the doctors orders exactly. She has had NO problems. I've known two others that screwed around and had blurred vision problems and the like. It's your vision guy.....

The Reaper
11-06-2004, 08:50
Concur. Do as you are instructed, contact the Doc if you have any problems.

I had the same procedure, it took six months for my vision to stabilize, and I still have dry eyes.

Still beats the hell out of wearing contacts or glasses in the field or on deployment.

TR

resonant evil
11-06-2004, 21:04
Thanks for the response. I only ask here because I asked the Doc and Nurses and their answers left some room to work. I am sticking to the profile to the "T". My profile says I can run, bike, walk at my own pace and distance. I was told healing time varies by individual, makes sense, but i don't want to step on my crank.

This is great, I want to get the best results possible, and I know recovery is my responsibility.

Thanks again

Bill Harsey
11-08-2004, 08:20
The guys here already said it, but after several broken bones, a few severed tendons and a big ass knee surgery I've learned a radical new medical concept.

Heal the first time.

SP5IC
11-08-2004, 17:35
I have a son who had lasEK or some procedure just prior Air Assault school. Not the best decision, but he never listened to me anyway. He is just like most 2LTs I have known.

ccrn
11-09-2004, 08:50
My profile says I can run, bike, walk at my own pace and distance.

It makes no sense to me that they tell you to keep your heart rate below 60 BPM yet you can run and bike. That sounds fishy.

Most peoples heart rate will be 60 BPM at rest let alone while biking or running.

Reversibility of fitness takes about three weeks for an extremely fit endurance athlete. After which is might take twice as long to regain fitness. This mostly applies to elite endurance athletes and by that I mean world class ie olympic.

That applies to a complete cessation of exercise.

If you focus on strength training, stretching, and easy walking you might actually make this period of rest work for you. Then when you are given the green light to do aerobic work you can retrain your self to previous levels of fitness and even more in a relatively short period of time-

my 0.2

resonant evil
11-12-2004, 18:31
Of course my profile says I have to keep my heart rate below 60 bpm for 30 days. So I am just throwing a line out to see if there are any ideas out there.

Sorry for the confusion. I was being sarcastic about the heart beat.