PDA

View Full Version : XDS first time out

cbtengr
04-27-2013, 21:11
Awhile back I was on the fence about getting a .45 XDS and with the help of some of the folks on the forum I decide to get one. Well I have had it for quite a while and finally got a nice day here in which to take it out in the back yard and shoot it, I put 92 rounds thru it and got along just fine I only had one round that failed to eject properly and that was my fault as I did not have a firm enough grip. I have absolutely no formal background in handguns and readily admit that some assistance from an experienced shooter would be of great value to me. I purchased the weapon for personal protection and as my primary concealed carry weapon.

I put up a simple cardboard target with 4 coffee can sized bulls eyes, then I used a single bulls eye target at 15’. The lower left bulls eye of the 4 bulls eyes was at 15’ the rest were at 30’ at the longer distance I shoot lower right. Is there a standard distance for proficiency? It’s a nice compact little gun and I look forwards to getting more familiar with it.

25144 25145

PRB
04-27-2013, 21:19
They make a nice piece.

Peregrino
04-27-2013, 21:25
The wife just bought one today. She was nice enough to let me put a deposit on another one for pick-up next week. Pretty good since they're about as common as hen's teeth right now.

MR2
04-27-2013, 21:37
So what personal defense round would everyone recommend for this XDs .45 w 3.3" barrel?

Using Federal as an example of choices; they have a Guard Dog round that looks good for home defense. For personal defense they have two JHP's, two hydra-shock JHP's and a HST round.

http://federalpremium.com/products/handgun.aspx

All of which are available for too much money locally.

SF18C
04-27-2013, 22:14
I love my XDs...it has just become a daily part of my life. I feel naked with out it. It has a great feel in my hand and shoots very well! I have ran about 200 rds thru mine in just a few short weeks. Mine has been nothing but deadly accurate out the high-end case it came with.

I think "long distance shooting" with a .45ACP through a 3.3 in barrel will be a "challenge" to most folks. I shoot milk jugs at 25 meters without fail, but to be honest, I can't hit em at 50 meters every time, rounds fall short and to the right. FWIW...milk jugs at 50m is something I can do with my Taurus 92 in 9mm with a 5 in barrel. FYI...fill the jugs full water...make for a fun show!!!

The XDs is a concealed carry purpose built gun. I would concentrate more on "assured" handling, proper presentation and gaining an adequate sight picture from your concealed carry position. Most of my pistol work is done at 10 meters or less with a B27 target. With the XDs, you only got 5 shots...so make em count! (I want to get a 7 rd mag but haven't looked that hard for one yet.)

I do have one gripe about the XDs, as a left hand shooter, I just wish that my XDs had a right side slide release...one day somebody will build a gun right!

These guys make a great IWB holster for the XDs http://www.whitehatholsters.com

SF18C
04-27-2013, 22:34
So what personal defense round would everyone recommend for this XDs .45 w 3.3" barrel?

Using Federal as an example of choices; they have a Guard Dog round that looks good for home defense. For personal defense they have two JHP's, two hydra-shock JHP's and a HST round.

I carry 230gr JHP....I "plink" with 185gr FMJ Ball.

The Reaper
04-27-2013, 22:34

Go to TDS and get the Federal HST +P rounds in the 50 round box.

TR

SF18C
04-27-2013, 22:38
.45 ACP SHORT BARREL TEST: 230 gr +P Federal HST

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfqM3grAiyI

Dusty
04-28-2013, 06:40
.45 ACP SHORT BARREL TEST: 230 gr +P Federal HST

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfqM3grAiyI

:lifter

cbtengr
04-28-2013, 07:56
SF18C I too am a lefty so I hear what you are saying, I need to schedule a few days with you in order to even hope to getting close to hitting a milk jug at 25 meters. I have small hands and the grip is a good fit for me, however I almost wish it had a rubberized coating of sorts in order to take away the bite.

Dusty
04-28-2013, 08:21
I have small hands and the grip is a good fit for me, however I almost wish it had a rubberized coating of sorts in order to take away the bite.

You need a .22 cal. I'll trade you straight up for my granddaughter's pistol, and I'll even put a rubber grip on it for you. ;)

MR2
04-28-2013, 08:40
I almost wish it had a rubberized coating of sorts in order to take away the bite.

http://www.pistolaccents.com/Gun_Grips.html - not a recommendation, just a possibility to consider.

Team Sergeant
04-28-2013, 15:34
I put up a simple cardboard target with 4 coffee can sized bulls eyes, then I used a single bulls eye target at 15’. The lower left bulls eye of the 4 bulls eyes was at 15’ the rest were at 30’ at the longer distance I shoot lower right. Is there a standard distance for proficiency? It’s a nice compact little gun and I look forwards to getting more familiar with it.

25144 25145

Looking at those targets you might want to get the sights checked, they might be loose.....;)

cbtengr
04-28-2013, 17:13
Looking at those targets you might want to get the sights checked, they might be loose.....;)

That's kind of you to say but I am pretty sure the issue is with the operator and not the equipment ;) . I put the search button to work and found some great threads in this topic that deal with my issues, I am going to invest in some formal training as it is obvious that I do not have a clue as to where to begin.

Peregrino
05-04-2013, 18:25
Follow-up post. Went back yesterday and picked up the XDs the wife reserved for me. Just got back from the range after test firing both of them (hers and mine :rolleyes:). Attached are a couple pictures. I was using an experimental load (nowadays one loads whatever components one can find and experiments to ensure adequate velocity, reliable function, accuracy, and safe pressure in the resulting mix) which explains the chronograph. The weather was looking iffy so I set up under one of the facades w/overhead and put the target stand at 15m. Shot a couple magazines through each pistol and then shot a 10 round group with each XDs, hers on top, mine in the middle. The bottom target is a 23 round group with the XDm 45 to establish baseline and validate the ammo. Looks like I have a new primary CCW pistol. It's pretty much everything I anticipated. Not as snappy as the Kahr P40 I've been using and as accurate as should be expected from a Springfield pistol. I'll need to spend some more time with it to get used to the trigger and the grip, NTM I still need to run a variety of defense ammo through it to see what it likes. I found the XDs' easy to shoot; we'll have to see how the wife likes hers. (If she doesn't I get to be a real "pistolero" - one for each hand! :p) Thanks to those of you who kept my curiosity alive until I could finally "join the club". I do intend to get the seven round magazines though I'm not looking forward to spending $40 each for them.

The Reaper
05-04-2013, 19:53
Nice shootin', Tex.

Looks I may need one as well.

TR