PDA

View Full Version : Lewiston, Idaho

dollarbill
04-26-2013, 14:37
Possibly the best kept secret in America. Just had the pleasure of driving through Lewiston, Idaho. As it turned out I needed a B service on the truck and it would take 24 hours. Lewiston is an extremly clean little town and the people there are very neighborly. With two nice rivers, decided to kill some time fishing. Reeled in a few nice bass while talking to one of the locals. Appears the is excellent Steelhead fishing as well. The town sits on the Idaho/Washington boarder. A short travel on West on US Highway 12 (or by river) will get you to Hells Canyon. Don't let the name fool ya. If its within your reach or in the planning stage for the big trip, I highly recommend it. A excellent place to take family or just the boys.

MR2
04-26-2013, 15:32
Concur, wife and I took MOL up to Lewiston for a Jet Boat ride through Hells Canyon a few years back. Nice town!

Bill Harsey
04-26-2013, 15:52
A good buddy of mine lives and works there.
He is an ER Doc and I have visited him a few times.
Beautiful country.

Lewiston is also the ocean port of Idaho, really.

dollarbill
04-27-2013, 00:19
Concur, wife and I took MOL up to Lewiston for a Jet Boat ride through Hells Canyon a few years back. Nice town!

I sent the wife a few pictures of the town, river and canyon to see what see thinks. She sent back a picture of a shirt she just got. It says, "He fishes therefore I shop" I'm taking that as yes it will work. Will also check with backpacker.com for trails. Can't wait. :)

zeke
04-28-2013, 12:42
Does it still smell from the paper/pulp factory? Otherwise it's beautiful country.

dollarbill
04-28-2013, 17:40
Does it still smell from the paper/pulp factory? Otherwise it's beautiful country.

I couldnt tell, but then again I drive a long haul cattle truck. What smells to ons smells like $ to me. :)

Maytime
05-01-2013, 23:16

Yes. Travel 10 minutes in any direction from Lewiston and the smell is gone though. Lots to do around there; Clearwater River to the East, Snake River to the South, Wawawai Reservoir to the West, two college towns to the North.

ES 96
05-07-2013, 07:04
I sent the wife a few pictures of the town, river and canyon to see what see thinks. She sent back a picture of a shirt she just got. It says, "He fishes therefore I shop" I'm taking that as yes it will work. Will also check with backpacker.com for trails. Can't wait. :)

July/Aug is better for sticking to the rivers where one can hop in for a cool off. Hiking, not so much. Better before/after that time frame. Here are the avg Highs/Lows in the Valley: LWS avg hi/lo Historical record (http://classic.wunderground.com/NORMS/DisplayNORMS.asp?AirportCode=KLWS&StateCode=ID&SafeCityName=Lewiston&Units=none&IATA=LWS&lastyear=on&normals=on&records=on)

Another place of interest there perhaps for some, is the Jack O'Connor Center at Hellsgate State Park: http://www.jack-oconnor.org/

(note the Biesen custom pre-64 Win 70 .375 H&H up for raffle at the bottom of that page. A beut indeed)