PDA

View Full Version : Hagel: Evidence Chem Weapons Used in Syria

Dusty
04-25-2013, 10:14
That dog'll wag.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/04/25/hagel-says-evidence-chemical-weapons-were-used-in-syria/

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said Thursday it is likely the Syrian regime used chemical weapons, a revelation that immediately raised the question of whether a "red line" had been crossed.

Hagel was citing the assessment of the U.S. intelligence community. After he spoke, on a visit to Abu Dhabi, the Obama administration swiftly released letters to Congress that detailed this assessment. They said U.S. intelligence determined with varying degrees of confidence that "the Syrian regime has used chemical weapons on a small scale in Syria, specifically the chemical agent sarin."

The White House stressed that this was not enough to confirm how the chemical was released and pressed the United Nations for a "comprehensive" investigation. President Obama has said the use of chemical weapons would be a "game-changer" in the U.S. position on intervening in the two-year-old Syrian civil war.

Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., suggested Thursday the "red line" had been crossed.

But Caitlin Hayden, a spokeswoman for the White House National Security Council, said more information is needed.

"Precisely because the President takes this issue so seriously, we have an obligation to fully investigate any and all evidence of chemical weapons use within Syria," she said in a statement. "That is why we are currently pressing for a comprehensive United Nations investigation that can credibly evaluate the evidence and establish what took place. We are also working with our friends and allies, and the Syrian opposition, to procure, share and evaluate additional information associated with reports of the use of chemical weapons so that we can establish the facts.

Asked if this crossed a "red line" for the U.S., Hagel likewise said they are still trying to assess.

Snip

sinjefe
04-25-2013, 11:10
No need to assess. Obama stated it last August:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/obama-issues-syria-red-line-warning-on-chemical-weapons/2012/08/20/ba5d26ec-eaf7-11e1-b811-09036bcb182b_story.html

So, now what will he do about it?

CW3SF
04-25-2013, 11:38
No need to assess. Obama stated it last August:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/obama-issues-syria-red-line-warning-on-chemical-weapons/2012/08/20/ba5d26ec-eaf7-11e1-b811-09036bcb182b_story.html

So, now what will he do about it?

I am sure we'll give them a resounding verbal admonishment. :rolleyes:

Sigaba
04-25-2013, 11:44
So, now what will he do about it?Doubtlessly, the POTUS will drone on and on about it.[The president] said Monday that any attempt by Syria to move or use its chemical weapons would change his administration’s “calculus” in the region, evoking the possibility of more direct U.S. intervention in the conflict.Double secret probation is just around the corner.

PRB
04-25-2013, 12:34
How about we let them fight their civil war all by themselves....our focus should be containment or destruction of WMD/gas so it does not migrate to Hez or any other terror outfit.
They are doing a perfectly good job of whacking each other without an assist from us......there is no clear benefit to us as to a winner either.

JimP
04-25-2013, 12:44
I wouldn't believe Chuck Hagel if he went on national TV and said his name was Chuck Hagel.

I believe Obama (peace be unto him) even less. :mad:

I'm seeing just another opportunity for Obama (peace be unto him) to help out the radical islamists by giving them yet another country. How's Egypt working out? Libya??

Trapper John
04-25-2013, 13:17
I'm seeing just another opportunity for Obama (peace be unto him) to help out the radical islamists by giving them yet another country. How's Egypt working out? Libya??

In the immortal words of Jerry 'Mad Dog' Shriver: "I have em just where I want em, surrounded from the inside"

sinjefe
04-25-2013, 16:28
How about we let them fight their civil war all by themselves....our focus should be containment or destruction of WMD/gas so it does not migrate to Hez or any other terror outfit.
They are doing a perfectly good job of whacking each other without an assist from us......there is no clear benefit to us as to a winner either.

I agree with you. Just pointing out that he made a threat last year. Threat isn't much good if you don't carry through.

Team Sergeant
04-25-2013, 19:42
I agree with you. Just pointing out that he made a threat last year. Threat isn't much good if you don't carry through.

When I read words such as your I'm impelled to look back on history and find words of cogent guidance:

"what difference at this point does it make"

hillary clinton

Box
04-26-2013, 04:08
FUCK.SYRIA
FUCK.THEM.IN.THEIR.STUPID.ASSES

That being said, where are all of the pundits that couldn't wait to accuse the last POTUS and his SECDEF of telling lies about WMD even though Iraq had already used chemical weapons against its own citizens. The "negotiable red line" has been crossed in Syria so the ball is in our court...
...what are you gonna do now "PL" ??????

This comment is no way reflects the opinions of Professional Soldiers BBS, The United States, The DoD, The state of North Carolina, The Boy Scouts, Walmart, Amazon Dot-Com, JC Penny's or the National Rifle Association.

I remain, complete uninspired and thoroughly underwhelmed.