PDA

View Full Version : PTSD can't be cured - only managed?

Richard
04-25-2013, 09:57
An interesting debate with some serious implications. Can PTSD be "cured"? :confused:

Richard :munchin

Panelists say post-traumatic stress disorder can't be cured, can only be managed
S&S, 24 Apr 2013

There is no way to cure post-traumatic stress disorder, but those suffering from it can learn to manage it, health professionals said Tuesday night.

Kevin Smythe, a supervisory psychologist in the Mental Health Service Line at the Fayetteville VA Medical Center, said managing the disorder is currently the only option.

"There are a lot of ebbs and flows (with the disorder)," Smythe said.

(Cont'd) http://www.stripes.com/news/special-reports/post-traumatic-stress-disorder-ptsd/panelists-say-post-traumatic-stress-disorder-can-t-be-cured-can-only-be-managed-1.217952

Trapper John
04-25-2013, 11:12
Personally, I don't like introducing the term "cure" into a discussion concerning a "psychological" disorder where there is no underlying pathology. The term "cure" implies that there is some pharmaceutical intervention that either exists or could be discovered and developed. In the absence of underlying pathology (abnormal physiology) this is not an option.

PTSD and other psychological disorders can only be managed with competent therapy, although pharmaceutical intervention (e.g. anti-depressants) can be useful in symptomatic treatment during the acute stages to help the patient cope. The long-term outcome depends on the effectiveness of counseling and the patient's willingness and ability to do the work required.

If managed properly, over time, the symptoms disappear or significantly lessen to the point that the psychological abnormality is no longer debilitating. This I would call a remission or a "functional cure".

However, certain triggers can induce relapses from time-to-time. If the patient was properly counseled and is managing the condition, the response to these triggering events can be modulated when they occur, even to the point that no outward signs of recurrence are detectable.

Just my 2-cents.

PedOncoDoc
04-25-2013, 11:48
Personally, I don't like introducing the term "cure" into a discussion concerning a "psychological" disorder where there is no underlying pathology. The term "cure" implies that there is some pharmaceutical intervention that either exists or could be discovered and developed. In the absence of underlying pathology (abnormal physiology) this is not an option.

PTSD and other psychological disorders can only be managed with competent therapy, although pharmaceutical intervention (e.g. anti-depressants) can be useful in symptomatic treatment during the acute stages to help the patient cope. The long-term outcome depends on the effectiveness of counseling and the patient's willingness and ability to do the work required.

If managed properly, over time, the symptoms disappear or significantly lessen to the point that the psychological abnormality is no longer debilitating. This I would call a remission or a "functional cure".

However, certain triggers can induce relapses from time-to-time. If the patient was properly counseled and is managing the condition, the response to these triggering events can be modulated when they occur, even to the point that no outward signs of recurrence are detectable.

Just my 2-cents.

I would respectfully disagree and state that "cure" does not require pharmaceutical intervention, "cure" does imply that some intervention has been provdied, however (encouraging a patient with mild vitamin D deficiency to spend more time in the sun, for example). . "Cured" means that a pathologic process that was present is no no longer present and has been gone for a sufficient amount of time to state that recurrence is no more likely than spontaneously developing the patholog process anew.

I endorse your use of remission however. ;)

Trapper John
04-25-2013, 12:00
I would respectfully disagree and state that "cure" does not require pharmaceutical intervention, "cure" does imply that some intervention has been provdied, however (encouraging a patient with mild vitamin D deficiency to spend more time in the sun, for example). . "Cured" means that a pathologic process that was present is no no longer present and has been gone for a sufficient amount of time to state that recurrence is no more likely than spontaneously developing the patholog process anew.

I endorse your use of remission however. ;)

I didn't say "cure" requires pharmaceutical intervention only that it implies the possibility to treat an underlying pathology. As you stated "cured" means that a pathological process has been abated. Ergo, no need to respectfully disagree - we agree. :D

PRB
04-25-2013, 12:38
As a cynical layman why would the Psych profession want/support/identify a 'cure' anyway?
The few times I've been to the VA I've been hounded by the Psych looking for more people not to cure.

MiTTMedic
04-25-2013, 13:01
I happen to "know somebody" that was one of many participants in a PTSD research study done here in San Antonio. The research was to see how to move the "provoking" memories into long term memory, and out of short term memory. He said the methods helped him get rid of most of the dreams. Not sure if the study was completed or not, though.

DJ Urbanovsky
04-25-2013, 13:21
In my opinion, psychiatry is an illegitimate and unscientific profession. It is shotgun medicine for your brain. That pill didn't work? Let's try this one. They really don't have a clue how the brain works. It's not about getting to the root cause and actually helping people, it's about putting a bandaid on it and collecting more billable hours. That's what the DSM IV is all about. It's not a diagnostic manual, it's a list of codes that Psychiatrists use so that insurance companies will pay them.

On PTSD: I had it. I kicked it. And I didn't use drugs or a therapist to do it. So I don't need some "panelists" to tell me what they think.

Mike
04-25-2013, 22:16
Worst thing about PTSD is that about 1982 they gave it a name and put a paycheck on it.

In the 70s they did some experiments including "rap groups."
As I recall, from participating, the focus was on decompressing, realising others had some issues as well, and working at modifying some personal behaviours.
There was no carrot or rating and a lot of guys seemed to benefit from it.
Involved taking a lot of personal responsibilities for ones actions and how they affected families and other relationships.

in '82, they expanded the program and decided to start awarding percentages.
ALL focus related to "getting better" disappeared.
It turned into "how much can I get and what can I do to get an increase?"
Some real shameful shit going on. More wives got beat up.
Hairy chested combat gorillas and wing wipers snivelling like little girls and blaming every bad thing they ever imagined on PTSD.

My view pisses people off, but I have dealt with the subject straight up since 1975.
I was once calledi n for a C&P I never requested. I told the examiner that I believed PTSD was for weaklings and wanted no part of it.

About 10 years later, I decided to make a claim for the hell of it.

Got 30% and was somewhat insulted compared to what I have seen in others.

Two tours in a Cambode border A Camp, sucking chest wound, malaria, Aomebic dysentary, survived a couple aircraft mishaps, minor wounds and a bunch of stuff.
Seen villagers I knew slaughterd by VC/NVA, pigs and chickens, too.
I went over there expecting all that and more.
I would expect any SF troop to have a similar atitude. Suck it up and drive on.