PDA

View Full Version : Holland & Holland's century-old claim proved valid.

Guymullins
04-24-2013, 14:39
When the .375 H&H Magnum cartridge was launched to the public, the company claimed that three differing bullet weights could be used in the field without the need for altering the shooters point of aim. This always sounded like an impossibility to me, but today, I got the opportunity to see whether there was any merit to their claim.
The Holland claim was that the 235gr, 270gr and 300gr could be used over the more common shooting distances without altering the point of aim, thus greatly simplifying the task of PH's and their clients. At the range today, preparing for a weeks hunt next month, I had a pal re-load some of my cases with 270gr bullets rather than the 300 gr ones I usually use. Using a target with many small concentric ringed targets on it, I shot two groups of three rounds from both bullet weights without altering my point of aim at 100m. The slightly bigger group, in 300gr was shot with ordinary cheap factory ammo and the smaller with the 270gr hand loads. As you can see, the results speak for themselves. I now need to get hold of some 235gr bullets to prove the claim totally.

Team Sergeant
04-24-2013, 16:00
When the .375 H&H Magnum cartridge was launched to the public, the company claimed that three differing bullet weights could be used in the field without the need for altering the shooters point of aim. This always sounded like an impossibility to me, but today, I got the opportunity to see whether there was any merit to their claim.
The Holland claim was that the 235gr, 270gr and 300gr could be used over the more common shooting distances without altering the point of aim, thus greatly simplifying the task of PH's and their clients. At the range today, preparing for a weeks hunt next month, I had a pal re-load some of my cases with 270gr bullets rather than the 300 gr ones I usually use. Using a target with many small concentric ringed targets on it, I shot two groups of three rounds from both bullet weights without altering my point of aim at 100m. The slightly bigger group, in 300gr was shot with ordinary cheap factory ammo and the smaller with the 270gr hand loads. As you can see, the results speak for themselves. I now need to get hold of some 235gr bullets to prove the claim totally.

Hows the shoulder? :munchin

Guymullins
04-24-2013, 16:07
Hows the shoulder? :munchin

Fine thanks. Its a very heavy rifle. Bull barrel and lead added to the butt, so it kicks like a girl. Quite a strong girl, but a real lady.

Team Sergeant
04-24-2013, 16:12
Fine thanks. Its a very heavy rifle. Bull barrel and lead added to the butt, so it kicks like a girl. Quite a strong girl, but a real lady.

LOL, the first time I shot a bolt action Barrett .50 I thought I was going to get my ass handed to me, but it weighs so much there was very little recoil. And it sounded like a lady, a very very loud lady......;)

Dusty
04-24-2013, 16:16

The group's similar to 45-70 at 100 yards with 300, 405 and 500 grain.

It doesn't take long to be satisfied with the zero on the 45-70, though...;)

Team Sergeant
04-24-2013, 16:20

I didn't realize you actually shot the 45-70 at game, I thought you waited until the game was close enough and employed the 45-70 like a baseball bat......

Guymullins
04-24-2013, 16:21

I am not familiar with the 45-70, but with a 500gr bullet, it sounds like just the ticket for my sister to try.

Team Sergeant
04-24-2013, 16:22
I am not familiar with the 45-70, but with a 500gr bullet, it sounds like just the ticket for my sister to try.

LOL, nice brother......

"No, no it wont hurt just pull the trigger....."

Guymullins
04-24-2013, 16:24
LOL, the first time I shot a bolt action Barrett .50 I thought I was going to get my ass handed to me, but it weighs so much there was very little recoil. And it sounded like a lady, a very very loud lady......;)

I have never shot the Barret, but we did have twin .50 Brownings on our Fireforce helicopters that shoved them sideways across the sky when being used with enthusiasm.

Dusty
04-24-2013, 16:24

lol I don't know your sister, but I doubt it will take her long to zero that puppy, either. :D

Peregrino
04-24-2013, 21:19
I am so glad I finished my Woodsford before I started reading this thread. That's some prime booze to wind up blowing through one's nose.

DinDinA-2
04-25-2013, 00:27

Aaah...the .375 H&H. It has been my only large game hunting rifle since 1982. I have only shot the 270 gr and 300 gr. and have not had to adjust point of aim between the two bullets. Factory ammo groups MOA. Most game has been taken less than 200 yards, however did shoot a caribou last year at 290 yards with a 300 grainer. Kind of a "lob shot", like the old M79. The ammo I prefer is the Remington Safari Grade with Swift A-Frame bullets, 270 gr or 300 gr. I recovered slug from a Brown Bear (head shot that wiggled its way down the neck), it retained 97% weight. That is pretty impressive performance. Textbook mushroom.

I have always subscribed to the theory to use the caliber that will kill the largest and toughest critter you may encounter, when hunting what you are really after. So, when after black tail deer, mountain goat, caribou, moose and Brown Bear...the .375 H&H is my choice. (I capitalize Brown Bear out of respect)

As to recoil, I have now limited my range time to 3 rounds to confirm sight in, before hunting. It has always kicked my ass at the range. I can practice trigger control on something a little more tame. I have never felt recoil on hunting shots, but that range time...forget it. After 5 rounds if you are going to keep shooting, you are some kind of gorilla.

Guymullins
04-25-2013, 02:36
Aaah...the .375 H&H. It has been my only large game hunting rifle since 1982. I have only shot the 270 gr and 300 gr. and have not had to adjust point of aim between the two bullets. Factory ammo groups MOA. Most game has been taken less than 200 yards, however did shoot a caribou last year at 290 yards with a 300 grainer. Kind of a "lob shot", like the old M79. The ammo I prefer is the Remington Safari Grade with Swift A-Frame bullets, 270 gr or 300 gr. I recovered slug from a Brown Bear (head shot that wiggled its way down the neck), it retained 97% weight. That is pretty impressive performance. Textbook mushroom.

I have always subscribed to the theory to use the caliber that will kill the largest and toughest critter you may encounter, when hunting what you are really after. So, when after black tail deer, mountain goat, caribou, moose and Brown Bear...the .375 H&H is my choice. (I capitalize Brown Bear out of respect)

As to recoil, I have now limited my range time to 3 rounds to confirm sight in, before hunting. It has always kicked my ass at the range. I can practice trigger control on something a little more tame. I have never felt recoil on hunting shots, but that range time...forget it. After 5 rounds if you are going to keep shooting, you are some kind of gorilla.

Perhaps add some weight to your rifle DinDin. A big suppressor would help and maybe one of those stock-sleeves that allows you to carry ammo on the rifle. I shot off (and often do) about 25 rounds yesterday on the range with no ill effect other than to my wallet.
Prince Kong

The Reaper
04-25-2013, 16:38
I have a Winchester Custom Shop Model 70 in .375 H&H, and have put as many as 20 rounds through it in one plinking session, back before ammo became stupid expensive.

Frankly, I think my Benelli shotgun kicks harder with Buck or Slugs.

TR

DinDinA-2
04-25-2013, 19:45
I have a Winchester Custom Shop Model 70 in .375 H&H, and have put as many as 20 rounds through it in one plinking session, back before ammo became stupid expensive.

TR

Ok, two gorillas so far:lifter My hat is off to you! My Win Mod 70 is quite heavy enough already without adding weight etc. And it certainly kicks more than my Benelli SBEII or my Rem 870 w/short barrel and slugs...without a butt pad. You guys don't by any chance have mag-na-ported barrels do you? That would be withholding vital info.

Regardless, amazing there is NO recoil during engagement.

The Reaper
04-25-2013, 20:00
Ok, two gorillas so far:lifter My hat is off to you! My Win Mod 70 is quite heavy enough already without adding weight etc. And it certainly kicks more than my Benelli SBEII or my Rem 870 w/short barrel and slugs...without a butt pad. You guys don't by any chance have mag-na-ported barrels do you? That would be withholding vital info.

Regardless, amazing there is NO recoil during engagement.

Nope, no porting.

The day I got it, a buddy and I spent a box of ammo plinking cans around with it in the field behind the house.

TR

Divemaster
04-25-2013, 22:38
Damn! When I saw Holland & Holland in the thread title I was hoping this was going to be about a classic double rifle like some of the wonderful guns found here: Vintage Doubles (http://www.vintagedoubles.com/catalog/?sort=5)

Guymullins
04-26-2013, 10:36
Damn! When I saw Holland & Holland in the thread title I was hoping this was going to be about a classic double rifle like some of the wonderful guns found here: Vintage Doubles (http://www.vintagedoubles.com/catalog/?sort=5)

Dive,
I had the pleasure of handling a H&H, unfired, 12 bore double shotgun, Royal Grade last week, together with a John Rigby .404 double rifle. Both were being photographed at an old comrades studio. This was when the discussion about Hollands claim came up. I will try to get the photos and put them up here. The Rigby, although finely balanced was a real heavy cannon which I wouldnt like to try holding on target for much more than 5 seconds without a rest. It made my .375 feel like a Daisy Red Rider.

Badger52
04-26-2013, 12:06

TRI remember one of those M70's fondly as a youngster; much older cousin had one "just because", their "African" with some additional stuff done by the Custom Shop. After an afternoon of plinking MILSURP ball out of my '03 against steel hung out 300yds away, with steel butt plate against bony frame, I was pretty reluctant, but had to give it a try.

I recall it (the recoil pulse) very much as just a very healthy "shove" - understanding now the rifles made back then were of proper weight, heavy yeah, but balanced pretty good and certainly pretty tame offhand. Have had an affinity for that round ever since. Feeding one nowadays is probably a different experience for the wallet.

Toaster
10-22-2013, 17:37
GuyMullins, any word on the 235gr rounds hitting the same point of impact as the 270gr and 300gr?

Rob_Frey
10-24-2013, 16:07
I cut down a barrel on one guy's .375 and rechambered two guy's guns to the Ackley Improved .375 H&H. Turkey loads in my12 ga. kick harder than those .375's did. It's got plenty of recoil, but not as bad as a .458 Win. Mag. with 500 gr. bullet I have shot, once. The most painful recoil I've endured was from 12 ga. 3 1/2" Turkey loads in a Mossberg 835, light weight and heavy recoil = OUCH!