PDA

View Full Version : New Harsey Custom Blade!

The Reaper
11-05-2004, 13:23
Folks:

In conjunction with a special occasion, I received a special gift from my better half, courtesy of Mr. Harsey, who took what I asked him for, and rendered it in real S30-V steel in all of its glory.

We have recently been talking here about small, concealable knives. This is the other end of the spectrum, when you need a knife capable of chopping wood for a fire, saplings for shelter construction, digging, prying, and if need be, defending oneself from unwanted attention, human, or otherwise.

It is big, but lighter than you would expect, quick, point heavy, and sharp as I have ever seen for a knife this size. The sheath is handmade with every hole and stitch made by Bill himself, and fits like a glove. You are indeed a talented artist, Sir!

I see this as the kind of knife you would strap on when you are headed out to the woods and you have to survive with what you are carrying and what you find for an extended period, like Lewis and Clark, for example.

It is an amalgamation of a kukri, Bowie, chopper, and fighter. I hope you find it as beautiful to look at as I do.

These are preliminary shots done a few hours after I got it, better ones will follow. First pic is sheathed, second is by itself, third is to give you some idea of the size of this piece. The little knife to the immediate left of this blade is a Yarborough Knife.

Enjoy!

TR

alphamale
11-05-2004, 13:30
TR, that is beautiful. A masterpiece from the master. Congrats!

And yes, it is scary-big. :eek:

I might have some cool in-process pics of its creation.

I love the contour lines that G10 takes on shaped handles.

Mr. Harsey, beautiful leather work also.

FrontSight

Ken Brock
11-05-2004, 13:36
Damn nice blade there sir

Shark Bait
11-05-2004, 14:25
Awesome knife. I think it would make a nice "Professional Soldiers" blade. Is it possible to get one???? I am very impressed Mr. Harsey. And very jealous, too.

Razor
11-05-2004, 15:13
Holy Crap! TR has started putting together a Roman Legionnaire's war belt! :) Seriously, beautiful knife. Is that pocket on the sheath made to hold a new Charge XTi?

Bill Harsey
11-05-2004, 15:48
TR, Thanks for posting the pictures, well done.

Thanks everyone else for your nice comments.

Sharkbait, Yes I'll make more, the master pattern is still here, in fact Ms. FrontSight has an image of the lexan pattern laid out on the steel that became this knife (fire away ma'am if you want).

Razor, I designed the pouch for the DMT Diafold diamond sharpener. I thought about the Leatherman but I just didn't have the pouch stitch width available between the welt stitching and I didn't want to make the whole sheath any bigger.

Yes this knife is designed for that very narrow zone of trying to be a hard hitter without being too heavy. I made this from 7/32 inch thick CPM S-30 V and flat ground the master bevels to a finished .035" thick before sharpening. I wanted a blade geometery that would have maximum penetration per blow if chopping wood and that could be field re sharpened. This knife feels very fast in the hand.

The Reaper is going to test this knife hard and if he can break it, I'll just make another like I would do for any of you guys or gals.

Smokin Joe
11-05-2004, 16:03
Beatiful Blade Sir.

Looks capable of severing limbs (and I don't mean the lumber kind)

Team Sergeant
11-05-2004, 16:03
Nice, very nice work Mr. Harsey!

NousDefionsDoc
11-05-2004, 16:18
Nice knife.

Can I have it?

Roguish Lawyer
11-05-2004, 17:33
I particularly like the pic of the 4 Harseys side-by-side.

flyboy1
11-05-2004, 18:03
Nice knife Bill.

Mick Dundee is getting jealous. You may nneed to get him one for Crocodile Dundee part 23. :p

Team Sergeant
11-05-2004, 18:12
Nice knife Bill.

Mick Dundee is getting jealous. You may nneed to get him one for Crocodile Dundee part 23. :p

The hell with Mick! I'm jealous! ;)

TS

The Reaper
11-05-2004, 18:56
Nice knife.

Can I have it?

Only if I store it in my footlocker and leave the country. :D

Holy Crap! TR has started putting together a Roman Legionnaire's war belt! Seriously, beautiful knife. Is that pocket on the sheath made to hold a new Charge XTi?

Strangely enough, the discussion did touch on the Roman Short Sword, and all of the uses the Legionaire found for it.

As Bill stated, the DuoFold sharpener fits like a charm, the XTi would likely be a bit too thick. He could do that though, I am sure.

I am currently looking for someone to sew up a nylon and Kydex field sheath for it, if you know anyone with the quals.

Beatiful Blade Sir.

Looks capable of severing limbs (and I don't mean the lumber kind)

I think Mr. Harsey mentioned that as well.

Nice knife Bill.

Mick Dundee is getting jealous. You may nneed to get him one for Crocodile Dundee part 23.

"Now THIS is a knife!" :D

The hell with Mick! I'm jealous!

TS

Nothing stopping you but a check, and Mr. Harsey's schedule.

Will try to get some better pics up later this weekend.

TR

vsvo
11-05-2004, 21:37
Nice knife Sir. Beautiful work Mr. Harsey.

The Reaper
11-05-2004, 21:44
I particularly like the pic of the 4 Harseys side-by-side.

Would you prefer stacked?

TR

DDD
11-06-2004, 06:40
TR
For a kydex sheath I would contact Tim Wegner at Blade tech. Back before he was rich and famous he made a bunch of sheaths for me working with a toaster oven in his garage. Those sheaths are still as good as the day he made them, everything I've purchased since has been of the same high quality. You will have to send your blade to him, but I'm betting you'll be happy with the results.
DDD

DDD
11-06-2004, 06:47
BTW, Beautiful knife! Bill, do I see a little Walter Brend influence?

Bill Harsey
11-06-2004, 09:27
BTW, Beautiful knife! Bill, do I see a little Walter Brend influence?
Walter Brend makes a great knife and it was my honor to meet him in Atlanta at Blade show last June. This knife was heavily influenced by The Reaper and if it relates to Brend, I did it my way based on other big blades I've done.

Huey14
11-06-2004, 18:09
Beautiful.

Shark Bait
11-07-2004, 21:02
Put me down for one when you start making more, Bill!!

alphamale
11-07-2004, 23:13
I like in-progress knife pics almost more than the done ones.

Mr. Harsey sent me these of The Reaper's knife in-progress.

(the gradient-box in the first pic is to X-out the OpPerSec data)

FrontSight

Bill Harsey
11-08-2004, 08:06
Ms. FrontSight,
Thank you for posting the working pics of The Reapers knife. I know I'll live to regret saying this in public, but thanks for the digital blocking of some writing. I owe you one.

The first image in FrontSights post is the blade just out of heat treat and the master bevels have just been final ground, freehand, on the belt grinder. Now it's time to figure out how to make the guard.

Here is how it started, the lexan master pattern has been made from the drawings and is clamped onto the CPM S-30V steel that will become the blade. I use a carbide scribe to "draw' around the outside of the lexan to make the pattern transfer onto the steel. Then I use the steel cutting saw to remove major chunks and then grind to the outside of the scribed line on the belt grinder.

Sacamuelas
11-08-2004, 08:17
Bill-
Are these knives going to be limited as to who can actually purchase one from you due to your busy schedule?

Bill Harsey
11-08-2004, 08:23
Bill-
Are these knives going to be limited as to who can actually purchase one from you due to your busy schedule?

Limited only by my ability to get stuff out the door.

The Reaper
11-08-2004, 08:51
The more I look at this thing, the more subtle touches I see.

Just this weekend, I noticed that he had tapered the tang.

Outstanding workmanship, Bill.

TR

NousDefionsDoc
11-08-2004, 09:05
Limited only by my ability to get stuff out the door.

You need a Shipping Associate...

Sacamuelas
11-08-2004, 09:07
How about some TR quality photos and document this evidence in detail. :D

Since you were a consultant on this design TR, why not go over the things that you asked for and why you feel they are important concerning usefulness and utility of this masterpiece. I would really like to hear the WHY behind some of design features. I am not good at spotting them from a photo.

If and when you have time to do it of course. :munchin

Guy
11-08-2004, 09:23
I could do some damage with that! :lifter

Smokin Joe
11-08-2004, 11:10
Mr. Harsey or The Reaper,

What is this Behemoth called?

Sacamuelas
11-08-2004, 11:28
"The Sacamuelas" :munchin

Roguish Lawyer
11-08-2004, 11:46
"The Sacamuelas" :munchin

LMAO

The Reaper
11-08-2004, 12:00
How about some TR quality photos and document this evidence in detail. :D

Since you were a consultant on this design TR, why not go over the things that you asked for and why you feel they are important concerning usefulness and utility of this masterpiece. I would really like to hear the WHY behind some of design features. I am not good at spotting them from a photo.

If and when you have time to do it of course. :munchin

Okay, okay.

First let me say that I love my Yarborough Knife.

OTOH, when I started the "Survive!" thread, I was thinking about the edged tool I would carry, and the YK was not the knife I would take if I could only have one or two.

One of the primary tasks for both an ground combat soldier and for survival is chopping, digging, constructing, breaking open ammo crates, and if it comes down to it, fighting. Rather than pack five different blades, I asked for one large blade to replace several of them.

I wanted a knife more like a kukri for chopping, but without the bent blade so that you could thrust and fence with it if need be. I asked for 10" of blade to compromise between portability and reach/leverage.

I wanted a blade to replace my machete, axe, prybar, cleaver, large fighter, etc.

I needed for it to be tough to handle repeated impacts, prying, chopping, or occasional digging.

I wanted as much weight forward as possible, but no heavier than it had to be to get the job done.

I asked for the surest, most comforable grip possible, in a "Coke bottle" configuration, to allow for chopping without transferring shock to the hand, a surface which would not promote blisters, and a material that gripped equally well wet, dry, greasy, or bloody.

I requested a guard, and relented at Mr. Harsey's suggestion to use an aluminum one to save weight. He also tapered the tang for that very same reason.

If I were dumped in a remote area with but one blade, this is the knife I would take. If I could choose a second to go with it, it would be a multi-tool like the Leatherman Charge XTi.

Here are some generic pics of the blade to satisfy your curiousity.

Hope that they help, I will put up a few more to respond to specifics.

TR

The Reaper
11-08-2004, 12:02
Mr. Harsey or The Reaper,

I will let Mr. Harsey answer that one.

Here it is in a size comparison with the Yarborough, which is not a small knife.

TR

The Reaper
11-08-2004, 12:13
Here is a brief work test.

Mr. Harsey and I were recently saying how hitting a knot in soft wood like pine is like hitting a rock buried in it.

I looked around the woods and found a fallen pine log. Upon examination, it was heart pine, which is the hard center of a pine tree, some had started turning into "lighter knot" (an extremely hard, very flammable resinous portion), and it was dirt encrusted on one side. I started at a 4" section, took the blade, and started chopping away. I am not a logger, or even much of a chopper anymore, but in less than 2 minutes, it was cut completely through.

The next picture shows a scrub oak or Blackjack oak that infest the pine forests here. I was going to time it as well, but it only took three strokes to cut through a 2.5" section of the trunk. It required less than 15 seconds to fell.

The last photo shows the knife is still hair popping sharp, after multiple cuts like the ones above. That CPM S-30V is the heat.

Folks, this is one cutting and chopping monster blade!

TR

The Reaper
11-08-2004, 12:17
A few more, just for show.

I am not normally a revolver man, unless it is black powder, or I am expecting bear, but it seemed to match the blade well. S&W 629 Classic Hunter.

Bill, the blade isn't shiny anymore, but it cuts just as well. You said to wring it out and I am trying. Can't beat the warranty, either!

TR

Weazle23
11-08-2004, 12:36
Wow, very impressive.
Great pics, TR.
The Knife That Sets The Standard is kind of a long name, but fitting.

mumbleypeg
11-08-2004, 12:54
Wow! TR, I will go stand over in the "that knife makes me jealous corner".

Bill, that is very strong work, Sir.

alphamale
11-08-2004, 15:56
Holy smokes. :eek:

The biggest knife I used to have was a 4" Strider SLCC. I would open the drawer, look at it, scream, and slam the drawer shut.

I'm not sure what would happen if in the same room with The Reaper Knife :). (Just kidding. I'm not afraid of anything anymore :p )

Hey Bill Harsey, why not just call it The Reaper?
(Gee I hope the solenoid didn't get activated with that comment ::halo:: :D )

FrontSight

Bill Harsey
11-08-2004, 16:33
To all and Ms. FrontSight,

This knife is called "The Reaper."

The Reaper
11-08-2004, 17:10

I am deeply honored.

Thank you.

TR

mumbleypeg
11-08-2004, 18:06
Congratulations, a fitting name.

Smokin Joe
11-08-2004, 21:13

Perfect name.

"Honey get the check book I found what I want for Christmas"

The Reaper
11-08-2004, 21:21
Perfect name.

"Honey get the check book I found what I want for Christmas"

Better get your order in soon, it takes a little while to make and Bill may have a full schedule with other projects.

Kind of hard to wear with your uniform, though. :D

TR

SP5IC
11-09-2004, 18:14
When Junior was commissioned in May of 03, he got two gifts, well three from me. Ono, a pair of real Corcoran Jump Boots; hi, a US Army KABAR (which he can't take anyplace including FT Drum), and a Cuban cigar. His Mom gave him a $1,500 party, guess what he remembers...sort of?

Shark Bait
11-09-2004, 22:12
Hey Bill,

What would be the damage to my bank account if I wanted a Reaper?? PM me if you prefer, sir.

Smokin Joe
11-09-2004, 22:23
Better get your order in soon, it takes a little while to make and Bill may have a full schedule with other projects.

Kind of hard to wear with your uniform, though. :D

TR

I would love to give my Sheriff and Sheriff (elect) a heart attack by having that knife on my hip. :D

alphamale
11-09-2004, 22:50
Similarly, I'd like to strap that Reaper knife on to my thigh and give my RBWB (Raised-By-Wolves-Boss) a heart attack by drawing and plunging it into the nice oak conference table.

"You want me to go WHERE! And do WHAT! No! " :: boom ::

Thanks Joe :D

FrontSight

Huey14
11-10-2004, 01:34
I, too, am interested in a price. A small fortune would not be wasted on this.

The Reaper
11-10-2004, 07:49
Similarly, I'd like to strap that Reaper knife on to my thigh and give my RBWB (Raised-By-Wolves-Boss) a heart attack by drawing and plunging it into the nice oak conference table.

"You want me to go WHERE! And do WHAT! No! " :: boom ::

Thanks Joe :D

FrontSight

Get working on the concealment rig. Between the shoulderblades or outside of the thigh?

TR

alphamale
11-10-2004, 11:01
Definitely outside of thigh.

That would be very "Zon" like.

::intimidating girl spit:: ::tuh::

FrontSight

Bill Harsey
11-11-2004, 08:24
Hey Bill,

What would be the damage to my bank account if I wanted a Reaper?? PM me if you prefer, sir.
Shark Bait, Thanks for the inquiry. Prices are open information.

The price for this knife in CPM S-30V steel is 475 dollars US currency plus shipping.

This is a handbuilt custom by me done in CPM-S30V steel. Materials cost for one knife and sheath runs right at 100 dollars and there almost four days work in it. This price will be good for members of this website.

Shark Bait
11-11-2004, 12:37
Thanks Bill,

I'll start saving. I still need to order my Yarborough, too.

The Reaper
11-11-2004, 12:48
Shark Bait, Thanks for the inquiry. Prices are open information.

The price for this knife in CPM S-30V steel is 475 dollars US currency plus shipping.

This is a handbuilt custom by me done in CPM-S30V steel. Materials cost for one knife and sheath runs right at 100 dollars and there almost four days work in it. This price will be good for members of this website.

Bill:

Everyone who knows blades, and has handled this knife, has commented on how the blade feels "alive" and seems to be an extension of your hand.

Given the fact that some makers charge as much as $75-$100 per blade inch and the amount of time you put into these blades, I would have to say, for a custom knife, that qualifies as a heck of a bargain.

I am a frugal SOB when I can get away with it, this is one of those items that like guns, ammo and body armor, the time may come when you wish you had spent more to get the very best.

When looking at a gun or a knife, I always ask myself, if I had this, and the other guy had whatever he wanted, would I feel disadvantaged by my equipment?

I have to say with this blade, my equipment would not be my limiting factor.

TR

sandytroop
11-28-2004, 12:00
I particularly love the second from the "top". That's the right size for me. What a beautiful, functional gift for The Mrs. to buy me for Christmas... !

The Reaper
11-28-2004, 17:31
I particularly love the second from the "top". That's the right size for me. What a beautiful, functional gift for The Mrs. to buy me for Christmas... !

If you are referring to the knives in a vertical stack, that is the Yarborough/Green Beret Knife.

TR

Bill Harsey
03-19-2006, 12:09
Bumped here to show the pictures.

The Reaper
03-24-2006, 22:40
Every time I pick this blade up, I marvel at the construction, fit, finish, and most of all, the utility of it.

This thing feels "alive" and moves much faster than you would expect from a knife this size. I will be taking it to the woods again next month, I am sure that it will be the perfect companion.

Again Bill, thanks for the work, it is everything I wanted and more.

TR

Bill Harsey
03-26-2006, 13:56
TR,
Your very welcome.

Air.177
03-01-2007, 16:36
OK,
I realize that I am waking a dead post on this one, but a couple of questions:

TR,
Did you ever find a Kydex sheath for it and how is it holding up for you?

Bill,
What is the Guard material and how long is your Current backlog ;)

Good times,
Blake

The Reaper
03-01-2007, 17:05
Negative.

We just spoke about a new sheath for it earlier this month.

AFAIK, the guard appears to be aluminum.

TR

Hipshot
03-01-2007, 17:26
The hell with Mick! I'm jealous! ;)

TS

Ditto ... where can I get one?

Buffalobob
03-01-2007, 17:55
I would also be interested in the amount of lead time for a custom one of a kind knife.

TheRider
03-01-2007, 20:24
"The Sacamuelas" :munchinSir, I think the name "The Mini Scythe" would be more appropriate. :D

TheRider
03-01-2007, 21:22
What is the handle made of?

Ambush Master
03-01-2007, 21:44
What is the handle made of?
Having handled it, IIRC, it is Micarta, similar to the Yarborough.

Also, I think that it has already been named: THE REAPER!!

Later
Martin

The Reaper
03-01-2007, 22:01
Sir, I think the name "The Mini Scythe" would be more appropriate. :D

A little slow on the uptake?

That punch line is almost as old as you are.

TR

TheRider
03-01-2007, 22:46
A little slow on the uptake?

That punch line is almost as old as you are.

TR
Sir, you don't need to pick on the slow kid. Its not nice.:(

x SF med
03-02-2007, 13:02
Sir, you don't need to pick on the slow kid. Its not nice.:(

Bwahaahaaaahaaaaa!!!! Nice? The Reaper? Rider, 'slow kid' is an understatement. TR picks on everyone, and isn't nice to anyone - hence, The Reaper..... and since you 'borrowed' his initials, be prepared for the hammer.

x SF med
03-02-2007, 13:24
Hey Bill,
Please make me one. I'll go without eating for a couple of weeks. Outstanding job of collaborative design, even if it was with TR :p
You guys made a knife that would scare even Rambo when drawn.

Team Sergeant
03-02-2007, 13:49
Hey Bill,
Please make me one.

That will be $12,000, cash, upfront, sent to me. I'll send Harsey his cut.;)

TS

x SF med
03-02-2007, 14:50
That will be $12,000, cash, upfront, sent to me. I'll send Harsey his cut.;)

TS

Jefe - 12 grand? What the hell are you going to use 11.5 k for? Huh, brother? I've paid you for all SHOT expenses......

Team Sergeant
03-02-2007, 14:58
Jefe - 12 grand? What the hell are you going to use 11.5 k for? Huh, brother? I've paid you for all SHOT expenses......

Look when you order a knife from Mr Harsey, world famous knife maker and the designer of the official US Army Special Forces Knife on Professionalsoldiers.com we're getting our "cut". ;)

x SF med
03-02-2007, 15:46
Look when you order a knife from Mr Harsey, world famous knife maker and the designer of the official US Army Special Forces Knife on Professionalsoldiers.com we're getting our "cut". ;)

Usury is against the law, even in the virtual "Jefe-land" of Professionalsoldiers.com - and 2400% is definitely usury.

I guess I just have to call the illustrious and world famous bladesmith directly and cut out the middlemen. BTW, how much of the 11.5K was going to to go to the co-designer of the knife? $10? Sick 'im, TR, he was trying to undercut you.

Roguish Lawyer
03-02-2007, 18:49
Usury is against the law, even in the virtual "Jefe-land" of Professionalsoldiers.com - and 2400% is definitely usury.

Not.

x SF med
03-02-2007, 19:03
Not.

Counsellor,
Is that usury is not illegal, or it's not illegal in virtual Jefe-land, or 2400% is not usury? Or some combination thereof. Here's a quick search from 'Lectric Law Library:

Many state's laws provide that you cannot lend money at an interest rate
in excess of a certain statutory maximum. This is a "usury limit."
Unless Otherwise Stated, The Rates Are Simple, Not Compound Interest.
Further We Are Stating The **Present** Limits, the ones applicable at
the time that this research was completed. Many states have had lower
limits in the past.Further, in most states a late charge or other fee
exacted from someone who owes another money is also counted as interest.

"But my car loan is higher than that"; "But I'm paying way more than
that on my credit cards." That's right! Banks have separate rules. In
fact, due to high inflation, in 1980, the federal government passed a
special law which allowed national banks (the ones that have the word
"national" or the term "N.A." in their name, and savings banks that are
federally chartered) to ignore state usury limits and pegged the rate of
interest at a certain number of points above the federal reserve
discount rate. In addition, specially chartered organizations like small
loan companies and installment plan sellers (like car financing
companies) have their own rules.

The usury limit which is stated as the general usury limit is the rate
that can be charged by one person or corporation to another, in other
words, if you lend your next door neighbor $ 100.00, the rate stated is
the limit. To charge more you must get a banking, pawnbroking, or
whatever license. This also means that special kinds of loans, like
those from pawnbrokers or small loan companies are not stated.

In some states we also have a "legal rate." In such states, as a general
rule, if you have a contractual obligation that provides simply for
interest without a specific term, or "interest at the highest legal
rate" then the "legal rate" what applies. In other instances we have
stated a "judgment rate." That's the rate that final judgments bear. In
states without a usury limit, there still may be a federally imposed
limit because at certain astronomical rates of interest "loan sharking"
will be inferred by the federal government.

Usury Is A Complicated Area Of Law. Transactions that a person would not
consider to be affected by usury often are, for example, repurchase
agreements, or sales with an option to repurchase are often found to be
loans. A word of caution. Before trying to lend someone money or
"invest" with a guaranteed return, see an attorney to make sure that you
don't run afoul of the usury laws. In state's that specify one limit for
consumers and one limit for non-consumers, you cannot avoid the usury
limit by creating a sham business deal. In a supplement that is now
being prepared and will be available soon, we will review the penalties
for usury in each state and point out special circumstances in each
state.

ALABAMA, the legal rate of interest is 6%; the general usury limit is
8%. The judgment rate is 12%.

ALASKA, the legal rate of interest is 10.5%; the general usury limit
is more than 5% above the Federal Reserve interest rate on the day
the loan was made.

ARIZONA, the legal rate of interest is 10%.

ARKANSAS, the legal rate of interest is 6%; for non-consumers the
usury limit is 5% above the Federal Reserve's interest rate; for
consumers the general usury limit is 17%. Judgments bear interest at
the rate of 10% per annum, or the lawful agreed upon rate, whichever
is greater.

CALIFORNIA, the legal rate of interest is 10% for consumers; the
general usury limit for non-consumers is more than 5% greater than
the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco's rate.

COLORADO, the legal rate of interest is 8%; the general usury limit
is 45%. The maximum rates to consumers is 12% per annum.

CONNECTICUT, the legal rate of interest is 8%; the general usury rate
is 12%. In civil suits where interest is allowed, it is allowed at
10%.

DELAWARE, the legal rate of interest is 5% over the Federal Reserve
rate.

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, the legal rate of interest is 6%; the general
usury limit is in excess of 24%.

FLORIDA, the legal rate of interest is 12%; the general usury limit
is 18%. On loans above $ 500,000 the maximum rate is 25%.

GEORGIA, the legal rate of interest is 7%; On loans below $ 3,000 the
usury limit is 16%. On loans above $ 3,000, the limit appears to be
5% per month. As to loans below $ 250,000 the interest rate must be
specified in simple interest and in writing.

HAWAII, the legal rate of interest is 10%. The usury limit for
consumer transactions is 12%.

IDAHO, the legal rate of interest is 12%. Judgments bear interest at
the rate of 5% above the U.S. Treasury Securities rate.

ILLINOIS, the legal rate of interest is 5%. The general usury limit
is 9%. The judgment rate is 9%.

INDIANA, the legal rate of interest is 10%. Presently there is no
usury limit; however, legislation is pending to establish limits. The
judgment rate is also 10%.

IOWA, the legal rate of interest is 10%. In general consumer
transactions are governed at a maximum rate of 12%.

KANSAS, the legal rate of interest is 10%; the general usury limit is
15%. Judgments bear interest at 4% above the federal discount rate.
On consumer transactions, the maximum rate of interest for the first
$ 1,000 is 18%, above $ 1,000, 14.45%.

KENTUCKY, the legal rate of interest is 8%; the general usury limit
is more than 4% greater than the Federal Reserve rate or 19%,
whichever is less. On loans above $ 15,000 there is no limit.
Judgments bear interest at the rate of 12% compounded yearly, or at
such rate as is set by the Court.

LOUISIANA, the legal rate of interest is one point over the average
prime rate, not to exceed 14% nor be less than 7%. Usury limit for
individuals is 12%, there is no limit for corporations. (As warned,
you cannot evade the limit by forming a corporation when the loan is
actually to an individual.)

MAINE, the legal rate of interest is 6%. Judgments below $ 30,000
bear 15%, otherwise they bear interest at the 52 week average
discount rate for T-Bills, plus 4%.

MARYLAND, the legal rate of interest is 6%; the general usury limit
is 24%. There are many nuances and exceptions to this law. Judgments
bear interest at the rate of 10%.

MASSACHUSETTS, the legal rate of interest is 6%; the general usury
rate is 20%. Judgments bear interest at either 12% or 18% depending
on whether the court finds that a defense was frivolous.

MICHIGAN, the legal rate of interest is 5%; the general usury limit
is 7%. Judgments bear interest at the rate of 1% above the five year
T-note rate.

MINNESOTA, the legal rate of interest is 6%. The judgment rate is the
"secondary market yield" for one year T-Bills. Usury limit is 8%.

MISSISSIPPI, the legal rate of interest is 9%; the general usury
limit is more than 10%, or more than 5% above the federal reserve
rate. There is no usury limit on commercial loans above $ 5,000. The
judgment rate is 9% or a rate legally agreed upon in the underlying
obligation.

MISSOURI, the legal and judgment rate of interest is 9%.
Corporations do not have a usury defense. (Remember that a
corporation set up for the purpose of loaning money to an individual
will violate the usury laws.)

MONTANA, the legal rate of interest is 10%; the general usury limit
is above 6% greater than New York City banks' prime rate. Judgments
bear interest at the rate of 10% per annum.

NEBRASKA, the legal rate of interest is 6%; the general usury limit
is 16%. Accounts bear interest at the rate of 12%. Judgments bear
interest at the rate of 1% above a bond yield equivalent to T-bill
auction price.

NEVADA, the legal rate of interest is 12%; there is no usury limit.

NEW HAMPSHIRE, the legal rate of interest is 10%; there is no general
usury rate.

NEW JERSEY, the legal rate of interest is 6%; the general usury limit
is 30% for individuals, 50% for corporations. There are a number of
exceptions to this law.

NEW MEXICO, the legal rate of interest is 15%. Judgment rate is fixed
by the Court.

NEW YORK, the legal rate of interest is 9%; the general usury limit
is 16%.

NORTH CAROLINA, the legal interest rate and the general usury limit
is 8%. However, there is a provision for a variable rate, which is
16% or the T-Bill rate for non-competitive T-Bills. Above $ 25,000
there is no express limit. However, the law providing for 8% is still
on the books- be careful and see a lawyer!

NORTH DAKOTA, the legal rate of interest is 6%; the general usury
limit is 5 1/2% above the six-month treasury bill interest rate. The
judgment rate is the contract rate or 12%, whichever is less. A late
payment charge of 1 3/4% per month may be charged to commercial
accounts that are overdue provided that the charge is revealed prior
to the account being opened and that the terms were less than thirty
days, that is, that the account terms were net 30 or less.

x SF med
03-02-2007, 19:04
continued:

OKLAHOMA, the legal rate of interest is 6%. Consumer loans may not
exceed 10% unless the person is licensed to make consumer loans.
Maximum rate on non-consumer loans is 45%. The judgment rate is the
T-Bill rate plus 4%.

OREGON, the legal rate is 9%, the judgment rate is 9% or the contract
rate, if lawful, whichever is higher. The general usury rate for
loans below $ 50,000 is 12% or 5% above the discount rate for
commercial paper.

PENNSYLVANIA, the legal rate of interest is 6%, and this is the
general usury limit for loans below $ 50,000, except for: loans with
a lien on non-residential real estate; loans to corporations; loans
that have no collateral above $ 35,000. Judgments bear interest at
the legal rate. It is criminal usury to charge more than 25%.

PUERTO RICO, the legal rate of interest is 6%; all other rates are
set by the Finance Board of Office of Commissioner of Financial
Institutions. Judgments bear interest at the same rate as the
underlying debt.

RHODE ISLAND, the legal rate of interest and judgment rate is 12%.
The general usury limit is 21% or the interest rate charged for T-
Bills plus 9%.

SOUTH CAROLINA, the legal rate of interest is 8.75%, and judgments
bear interest at the rate of 14%. Subject to federal criminal laws
against loan sharking there is no general usury limit for non-
consumer transactions. The South Carolina Consumer Protection code
provides regulations for maximum rates of interest for consumer
transactions. Please consult with counsel for the latest rates.

SOUTH DAKOTA, the legal rate of interest is 15%, judgments bear
interest at the rate of 12%. There is no other usury limit. There are
certain limitations on consumer loans below $ 5,000.00.

TENNESSEE, the legal rate and judgment rate of interest is 10%. The
general usury limit is 24%, or four points above the average prime
loan rate, WHICHEVER IS LESS.

TEXAS, the legal rate of interest is 6%. Interest does not begin
until 30 days after an account was due. The judgment rate of interest
is 18% or the rate in the contract, whichever is less. There are a
number of specific ceilings for different types of loans, please see
counsel for information.

UTAH, the legal rate of interest is 10%. Judgments bear interest at
the rate of 12%, or a lawfully agreed upon rate. There are floating
rates prescribed for consumer transactions. Please see counsel for
information.

VERMONT, the legal rate of interest and judgment rate of interest is
12%. On retail installment contracts the maximum rate is 18% on the
first $ 500, 15% above $ 500. The general usury limit is 12%.

VIRGINIA, the legal rate of interest is 8%. Judgments bear interest
at the rate of 8%, or the lawful contract rate. Corporations and
business loans do not have a usury limit, and loans over $ 5,000 for
"business" or "investment" purposes are also exempt from usury laws.
Consumer loans are regulated and have multiple rates.

WASHINGTON, the legal rate is 12%. The general usury limit is 12%, or
four points above the average T-Bill rate for the past 26 weeks,
whichever is greater. (The maximum rate is announced by the State
Treasurer.) Judgments bear interest at the rate of 12% or the lawful
contract rate, whichever is higher.

WEST VIRGINIA, the legal rate of interest is 6%. The maximum
"contractual" rate is 8%; Commissioner of Banking issues rates for
real estate loans, and, may establish maximum general usury limit
based on market rates.

WISCONSIN, the legal rate of interest is 5%. There are a myriad of
rates for different type of loans. There is no general usury limit
for corporations. Note that a loan to an individual, even if a
corporation is formed, will violate the law. The judgment rate of
interest is 12%, except for mortgage foreclosures, where the rate
will be the lawful contract rate.

WYOMING, the legal rate and judgment rate of interest is 10%. If a
contract provides for a lesser rate, the judgment rate is the lesser
of 10% and the contract rate.

Roguish Lawyer
03-03-2007, 13:43
How is buying a knife subject to the usury laws? It's not because it's not a loan. Trust me, I know things. ;)

BMT (RIP)
03-03-2007, 14:02
RL say's "Trust me I know things". Now that scares the hell out of me!!!

BMT

The Reaper
03-03-2007, 19:38
RL say's "Trust me I know things". Now that scares the hell out of me!!!

BMT

When it comes to legal stuff, I would listen to him.

TR

Genghis_Don
03-04-2007, 01:03
avoid the usary by not making it a loan, but a 2400% commission! Or a processing fee! :cool:

And since when is legality a factor in taking advantage of the unsuspecting junior guy in the unit? lol

slcraig
04-06-2007, 15:49
I think the lead time is quite long, asked Mr. Harsey in March of '06 for one...I think he probably forgot, although I know he is quite busy. If you're still out there Bill, will be in Oregon to visit my brother in October, would love to visit you and see your workshop. And maybe pick up a Reaper??? Cash in hand, avoid the middleman...:munchin

Roguish Lawyer
06-04-2011, 17:04
TR, Thanks for posting the pictures, well done.

Thanks everyone else for your nice comments.

Sharkbait, Yes I'll make more, the master pattern is still here.

Mr. Harsey, if you are still prepared to make more of these, I want one. :munchin

akv
06-04-2011, 17:37
Mr. Harsey, if you are still prepared to make more of these, I want one.

Mr. Harsey Sir, If your duties would allow it, I would gladly purchase one as well.

The Reaper
06-04-2011, 20:40
Maybe you should start production, Bill. :D

TR

PSM
06-04-2011, 21:20
Add me to the list.

Pat

orko
06-05-2011, 02:53
what does it weigh in at? Have you taken any measurements yet?

Bill Harsey
06-05-2011, 05:54
Chris Reeve and I are working the problem but cannot say what the schedule is.

Roguish Lawyer
06-05-2011, 09:59
Chris Reeve and I are working the problem but cannot say what the schedule is.

LOL, too many customers. Tough "problem" to have!

Shark Bait
06-20-2011, 08:33
I'm still interested in having one, Bill!

LongWire
06-20-2011, 08:54
Sign Me Up!!!!!

Carpe Noctem
07-25-2011, 19:59
Oh man, if this knife comes to fruition as a collab between Mr. Harsey/Mr. Reeve I think the sheer awesome will make my head explode.

LongWire
01-13-2012, 05:02
Any Updates Bill?

odoylerules
01-14-2012, 23:50
I have a Sikayo and a Professional Soldier on order; think I will call soon to get one of these added to the tab.

Streck-Fu
02-10-2012, 13:55
Any Updates Bill?

Yes please...any updates?

Is this still the point of contact for Mr. Hersey? http://www.flying-cloud.com/harsey-knife/knife.html

PSM
06-10-2013, 22:07
Bump!

SF18C made me jealous. ;)

Pat

Barbarian
06-11-2013, 07:00
SF18C made me jealous.

SF18C AND The Reaper made me jealous!!! :boohoo

Roguish Lawyer
06-11-2013, 10:38
Mr. Harsey, if you are still prepared to make more of these, I want one. :munchin

Having held this knife this past weekend, I hereby remind Mr. Harsey of my interest. Perhaps the Spartan boys want to help out? :munchin

SF18C
06-11-2013, 12:25
I was holding ,looking at, admiring my Reaper 7 last night...it is a nice freaking knife!

Roguish Lawyer
06-11-2013, 14:32
I was holding ,looking at, admiring my Reaper 7 last night...it is a nice freaking knife!

Is it the same thing TR has?

x SF med
06-11-2013, 15:05

I hate you just a little bit, my Brother... you owe me a beer now to assuage my anger and minor hatred. :p

SF18C
06-11-2013, 17:49
Is it the same thing TR has?

It has a 7 inch blade! So mine is a little smaller...not the 1st time I had to say that! :D

I hate you just a little bit, my Brother... you owe me a beer now to assuage my anger and minor hatred. :p

I would love to buy you beer to sooth your rage! You plan on going to the SFA convention in TX?

Take a look at the photos below, that should cost me at least two beers! :D

The Reaper
06-11-2013, 18:10
It has a 7 inch blade! So mine is a little smaller...not the 1st time I had to say that! :D

I would love to buy you beer to sooth your rage! You plan on going to the SFA convention in TX?

Nice knife!

TR

x SF med
06-11-2013, 19:55

Dude... you owe me a case, that's better than the sigs on my Yarborough, GB, Spartan- Harsey Model 1, T-1, and the D-2 I sold to Crip for a penny.... but I still have you beat... the boss found one of Bill's older designs and he engraved it for my BD a few years ago....

DJ Urbanovsky
06-12-2013, 10:12
I think both versions of the knife here are just fantastic. I'd be hard pressed to choose between the two.

Some people probably think that all I like is crazy stuff because of some of the customs I build, but that's not true. Bill is a master of the craft, and his work has a clean, pared down elegance that has always fascinated me. And despite the good looks, you don't have to be afraid to use it like you stole it. I do not know how he manages to build such super clean blades and yet still make them look so badass... Although I hope one day to figure that out...

pyreaux
07-03-2013, 12:34
Mr. Harsey,

Is there any chance you'll have time to produce one of these in the coming months?

swatsurgeon
07-03-2013, 15:44
Mr. Harsey,

Is there any chance you'll have time to produce one of these in the coming months?

I think there is a very long line for that request.........

pyreaux
07-03-2013, 21:02
Yeah, Mr. Harsey was nice enough to get back to me and let me know he's booked up, tried to get in line before the unfortunate shop disaster, looks like he's a quite a busy man. I guess I'll be keeping an eye out for the production version whenever they're able to get that to market.