PDA

View Full Version : Who annoys this “Green Beret”

Divemaster
04-21-2013, 06:55
WWII and Korea veterans, that’s who.

When they were young, they saved the world.

But now they are in their 70’s & 80’s. It’s awkward to be around men that old wearing their veteran ball caps. They drive too slowly in the fast lane. At the PX mini-mall they walk too slowly. The same thing happens at Walmart. You’ve seen them. They take forever to park and use up all the handicapped spots. Wearing their WWII or Korea veteran ball caps they arrogantly don’t ask for recognition. All those veteran programs must cost a ton of public money and their pensions are about a tenth of a local level civil servant who has seen thousands of forms filed in anger.

None of them have a You Tube channel, Facebook page or Twitter feed or a reality show. Not one WWII or Korea combat vet reality show? See how irrelevant they are! They don’t live in our century.

In their hubris they silently bury their brothers. Thankfully they don’t demand we pause our lives to mourn the loss of theirs.

Yeah, you Vietnam vets, like my dad, are on my annoy list next.

How dare you all walk silently through our lives. You arrogant bastards.

When YOU were young, YOU saved the world.

Trapper John
04-21-2013, 07:04
WWII and Korea veterans, that’s who.

When they were young, they saved the world.

But now they are in their 70’s & 80’s. It’s awkward to be around men that old wearing their veteran ball caps. They drive too slowly in the fast lane. At the PX mini-mall they walk too slowly. The same thing happens at Walmart. You’ve seen them. They take forever to park and use up all the handicapped spots. Wearing their WWII veteran ball caps they arrogantly don’t ask for recognition. All those veteran programs must cost a ton of public money and their pensions are about a tenth of a local level civil servant who has seen thousands of forms filed in anger.

None of them have a You Tube channel, Facebook page or Twitter feed or a reality show. Not one WWII or Korea combat vet reality show? See how irrelevant they are! They don’t live in our century.

In their hubris they silently bury their brothers. Thankfully they don’t demand we pause our lives to mourn the loss of theirs.

Yeah, you Vietnam vets, like my dad, are on my annoy list next.

How dare you all walk silently through our lives. You arrogant bastards.

When YOU were young, YOU saved the world.

Fixed it for ya:D Thanks Bro! I'm going to charge up my power chair and see who I can annoy at the Walmart now ;)

Divemaster
04-21-2013, 07:11
Fixed it for ya:D Thanks Bro! I'm going to charge up my power chair and see who I can annoy at the Walmart now ;)

I was hoping the pink font wasn't required for the usual ps.com suspects. :D

dollarbill
04-21-2013, 07:22
Divemaster its not just the Green Beret. Nothing like going into Wal Mart with a get in get out mind set, just to get behind the old fella that seems to have forgotten where he is or what he's there for. Should be a slow moving sign on his back and a set of hazard lights strapped to his ass. Then there's 2 ton Joe in the electric shopping cart. Come on get out and walk the isle it may do you some good. :)

Dusty
04-21-2013, 07:24
I choke up every time I see one.

dollarbill
04-21-2013, 07:26
lol :):)

Divemaster
04-21-2013, 07:30
Divemaster its not just the Green Beret. Nothing like going into Wal Mart with a get in get out mind set, just to get behind the old fella that seems to have forgotten where he is or what he's there for. Should be a slow moving sign on his back and a set of hazard lights strapped to his ass. Then there's 2 ton Joe in the electric shopping cart. Come on get out and walk the isle it may do you some good. :)

YOU totally missed the point of me starting this thread. I sentence you to watch Saving Private Ryan five times without a break and then kiss the feet of the next 75+ yr old man you meet.

Divemaster
04-21-2013, 07:32
I choke up every time I see one.

Yeah, a QP gets it. As should every man or woman who has worn the uniform of this FREE country. Those driving slow in the fast lane paid it forward.

Trapper John
04-21-2013, 07:35
YOU totally missed the point of me starting this thread. I sentence you to watch Saving Private Ryan five times without a break and then kiss the feet of the next 75+ yr old man you meet.

You beat me too it Brother! Dollarbill- There's your sign! Get a clue.

SF_BHT
04-21-2013, 07:36
Yeah, a QP gets it. As should every man or woman who has worn the uniform of this FREE country. Those driving slow in the fast lane paid it forward.

Glad you said it as I was getting anoyd with a post.

They earned it and o matter how much they impede my rush rush day I love them for what they have done for all.

Trapper John
04-21-2013, 07:37
lol :):)

The ice is very thin where you are treading-be careful!

Divemaster
04-21-2013, 07:42
You beat me too it Brother! Dollarbill- There's your sign! Get a clue.

Part of this is my own feeling of inferiority to the WWII and Korea vets. I've always felt not worthy to shake their hands in spite of my hero worship, but only just now think that they just might like even my lowly ass to say hello.

Divemaster
04-21-2013, 07:46
Glad you said it as I was getting anoyd with a post.

They earned it and o matter how much they impede my rush rush day I love them for what they have done for all.

I hear ya bro. This is all about those who have gone before but have been ignored. That's all.

Trapper John
04-21-2013, 07:57
Part of this is my own feeling of inferiority to the WWII and Korea vets. I've always felt not worthy to shake their hands in spite of my hero worship, but only just now think that they just might like even my lowly ass to say hello.

Interesting that you said that because I have always felt the same way. I have recently had the pleasure of introducing myself to one of these veterans (Korea and early Vietnam). I was a little surprised at how he lit up when I saluted him. I had to fight back tears. I still don't feel worthy, but of course in his humility he would never think that. What was it that Winston Churchill (I think) said, "Never in the history of mankind have so many owed so much to so few".

MR2
04-21-2013, 08:03
I'm going to charge up my power chair and see who I can annoy at the Walmart now

So you got room for a trunk monkey in that thing?

Divemaster
04-21-2013, 08:06
Yeah, I think I'm coming around to that point of view. When they came home in the 40s, 50s, and yes you Vietnam vets in the 60s and 70s, it seems some of us don't know now to say thank you.

I am resolving to pay it backwards. Going forward (the irony is not lost on me) I shall recognize these men I've felt not worthy to speak to. I will shake those frail hands and humbly ask to hear stories of when civilization was at risk.

I resolve to not let these men slip silently into history.

Trapper John
04-21-2013, 08:17
So you got room for a trunk monkey in that thing?

Nope, not even a can of Whoop Ass. Just jump up and yell - SURPRISE! :D

Sohei
04-21-2013, 08:18
...I resolve to not let these men slip silently into history.

I do too and because many of them have already slipped silently into history, we owe it to the remaining few to express our deepest thanks and appreciation for the service and sacrifices they gave for us and our future. There are many of them who remain who have not been told "Thank You" for their service.

Met one not long ago. When my son thanked him for his service, he immediately teared up as though it was the first time he had been told that. It was heart-breaking.

I was proud of both of them -- him for his service and my son for recognizing it.

Divemaster
04-21-2013, 08:23
I do too and because many of them have already slipped silently into history, we owe it to the remaining few to express our deepest thanks and appreciation for the service and sacrifices they gave for us and our future. There are many of them who remain who have not been told "Thank You" for their service.

Met one not long ago. When my son thanked him for his service, he immediately teared up as though it was the first time he had been told that. It was heart-breaking.

I was proud of both of them -- him for his service and my son for recognizing it.

This is what I'm hoping to inspire. Your son is showing the way for us all.

dollarbill
04-21-2013, 08:30

Yes sir, you're right I did miss the point. My deepest appology. The DVR is fired up. Will then call Grandfathers to say thanks for all you have done.

Again I feel horrible about this. I think now would be a good time to go back the rules..read and think before you post.

Sdiver
04-21-2013, 08:50
Ya know, these old farts annoy me too.

The fact that they're leaving us more and more each day. That I or any number of us who know just what the hell they did, didn't get a chance to thank them.

I'm going to charge up my power chair and see who I can annoy at the Walmart now.

Trap,
I see that you're also one of the TRUE 1%ers too.
Cool. :cool: :D

SF_BHT
04-21-2013, 09:02

The fact that they're leaving us more and more each day. That I or any number of us who know just what the hell they did, didn't get a chance to thank them.

Trap,

Great photo..... You know they are using those things to conserve their energy to toast they buddy's :D

Trapper John
04-21-2013, 10:03

Trap,

Now that's funny!!:D:D:

Trapper John
04-21-2013, 10:05
Yes sir, you're right I did miss the point. My deepest appology. The DVR is fired up. Will then call Grandfathers to say thanks for all you have done.

Again I feel horrible about this. I think now would be a good time to go back the rules..read and think before you post.

Good on you :lifter Live and learn, live and learn. :lifter

Remington Raidr
04-21-2013, 10:29
Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?

No, son, but I served in the company of heros. Best line EVER.

Badger52
04-21-2013, 10:32
Travel time to VA helping a WW-II or Korean War vet get off the ward to some presentation in the chapel or function on the other side of the grounds:
10 minutes
Time spent listening: 2 hours.
Percentage of time out of a week: 1.3%
Stories: Priceless.
;)

PSM
04-21-2013, 10:53
I do too and because many of them have already slipped silently into history,...

Yep. My step-father was a Navy Corpsman on Iwo Jima. I didn't know it until after he died and I read it in his obituary. :(

Pat

UWOA (RIP)
04-21-2013, 10:56

I'm not sure you got the point; Trapper John did.

UWOA (RIP)
04-21-2013, 11:00

Oops, should have read further. Divemaster can take care of things himself. I'm with you, brother.

JJ_BPK
04-21-2013, 11:12
Fixed it for ya Thanks Bro! I'm going to charge up my power chair and see who I can annoy at the Walmart now

Is that the one they have on HSN or QVC?? I always fall asleep before they give you the phone number with the special deal..

I did get a chance to visit the local BROWNINGS, a medical supply house. It's the Home-depot Man Cave for geriatrics.. :lifter

On a more sober point. I have been into the local VA clinic for several C&P go-rounds in the last month and I feel like a little kid, compared to the age of most of the Vets.

:(:o:)

UWOA (RIP)
04-21-2013, 11:16
For Divemaster, Trapper John and the other QPs on THIS thread, I count myself fortunate ...even though I'm from the Vietnam era there was a Korean War veteran on my detachment in Panama. He stood out in his class As in 1972 because his CIB had two stars ... he stood out, even among us other QPs, for other things as well -- all good. I have left that AO, but I will always remember him fondly. It was an honor to serve with him.

Javadrinker
04-21-2013, 12:59
My Grandfathers were WWI, Father and Uncles were all WWII, next younger Uncle Korea, Viet Nam 3 tours (RF4c), us kids all after the peace accords but Navy, Army, Marine Corps.
Very good family friend landed in France on D-Day and fought his way across Europe.
I'll sit and listen to any story they would tell, usually had to do with some life lesson. I shed tears at the Arizona Memorial, hell I shed tears at any Military funeral I had the privilege to attend, in or out of the military.

Team Sergeant
04-21-2013, 13:37
One thing I have learned over the years is that many combat war vets do not talk about what they did with "Joe Public" but those same vets will talk to other combat vets that have walked the walk. I never tire of their war stories.

Joe Public gets to view a hollywood depiction of "Saving Private Ryan" and Devil's Brigade and that's about as close as 99% of our population gets to "war" or the heroes that fight them. Many SF'ers on here have had the honor to serve with these same individuals and be taught by them.

Dusty
04-21-2013, 14:05
One thing I have learned over the years is that many combat war vets do not talk about what they did with "Joe Public" but those same vets will talk to other combat vets that have walked the walk. I never tire of their war stories.

Joe Public gets to view a hollywood depiction of "Saving Private Ryan" and Devil's Brigade and that's about as close as 99% of our population gets to "war" or the heroes that fight them. Many SF'ers on here have had the honor to serve with these same individuals and be taught by them.

That's right.

I spoke with a man of about 70-80 at WalMart one day as he was standing in line at the pharmacy. He had a Vietnam ballcap on. I asked him what outfit he was in, and he talked about where he'd been stationed and some of the things that had happened that evidently stood out in his memory. I introduced myself, and we had a good talk.

A year later, I was buying bullets in another Supercenter south of town, and I heard my name called. I turned around, and here comes Joe, walking up to shake my hand, with a glint in his eyes.

It means a lot to those warriors to be noticed and shown due respect.

Beef
04-21-2013, 14:32
My first SF Company SGM was Brian F. McKnight. SGM McKnight was the LAST WW II Ranger in uniform when he retired in 1980. Our local SFA chapter (79) is named in his honor. Our Bn. CSM Was CSM Pilutti, a 508th vetreran who jumped into Normandy and Holland. It was a rare and wonderful privlege to serve with those men

Gypsy
04-21-2013, 14:42

Many of them don't talk to their children either. I wish my dad (Korean War Vet) had felt he could, but I respect that he chose not to do so.

Team Sergeant
04-21-2013, 14:48
Many of them don't talk to their children either. I wish my dad (Korean War Vet) had felt he could, but I respect that he chose not to do so.

There's a reason warriors fight, so our children don't have to..... We protect and shield our children from the horrors of war and that was what he was doing......

Sdiver
04-21-2013, 14:52
There's a reason warriors fight, so our children don't have to..... We protect and shield our children from the horrors of war and that was what he was doing......

Here, here !!!!

Gypsy
04-21-2013, 14:55

I know...

Divemaster
04-21-2013, 15:02
I knew y'all would get it.

pcfixer
04-21-2013, 15:50
It brings tears to my eyes reading all or your posts.
My family and current wife's family all have a long history of serving.

"salute"

SOF_VET
04-21-2013, 23:36
One of my favorite tactics is to offer them my gratitude when they are surrounded by a crowd, so that the crowd becomes aware of what is occurring. I find that I experience two things: 1. Enormous inferiority knowing their collective suffering and sacrifice and 2. Disappointment with the "sheeple" milling about, lacking any SA to the giant in their midst or any semblance of appreciation for his shoulders they stand upon.

While visiting Disney World several years ago, I spotted a WWII vet with a BS and PH mini-medals pinned to his ball cap. He was in a scooter and as the crowded bus we shared disembarked, he waited patiently with his family for the driver to make his way back to lower the platform for him to drive off. As I reached the exit, I turned towards him, stuck out my hand and expressed my thanks before I headed off (to the torture that is DW!). I was impressed with how collected he was when I stopped, almost as if he expected it. His family appeared shocked that someone would trouble themselves with the old guy. I did not share that sentiment.

These guys and gals won't be with us much longer. Time to say 'Thanks' while we have the chance.

CW1287
04-22-2013, 02:55
Gentlemen,

Let me first take the time to first thank all QPs and veterans on this site for their service. Those of us still serving struggle to fill your shoes everyday.

My grandfather was a WWII veteran, earning the Bronze Star in the process. Growing up he was my hero and I strived everyday to be like him. When I was in eighth grade I had to do a history interview for a school project. I decided to interview my grandfather, my mother however told me not to get my hopes up. As we sat around the table at my grandfather's house he recounted some of his experiences and we eventually ended as the night grew late. As we drove home I noticed my aunt and mother crying, upon asking why I found out I was the first member of the family my grandfather had ever recounted those stories to. For me that is one of the proudest moments in my life, and one of my biggest honors. Sadly I never got the opportunity to tell him that before he passed away.

As I look back on that and countinue my service to the nation, I remember the example set by the larger than life heros who came before us. I remember my grandfather's stories well, and I continue to uphold the values that many have fought for before us and which many gave their lives to defend.

Chris

mark46th
04-22-2013, 08:35
My dad was a WWII vet so I knew what happened then but the gravity of what actually occured by winning WWII didn't sink in until I was a little older. I always go out of my way to speak to a Korean War vet. The Korean War vets never got the recognition they derserved. Being a Southeast Asia vet and being disrespected so badly coming home, I dislike being "Thanked" for my service because it is so patronizing. I knew what I was doing, I knew it was right. I don't want or need someone who spit at me then, telling me what a great guy I am now. About the only good thing to come out of Vietnam for the American soldier, sailor, marine was that America realized how disgraceful its behavior was toward the veterans and treats later vets with respect.

Let me add that the reason I resent being patronized by anti-war people is because we left 3 countries that we had promised to defend, completely unprotected. It allowed monsters like Pol Pot to murder millions of innocents. Teddy Kennedy, she who must not be named and the rest of the anti-war crowd are responsible for these murders. I don't know how they sleep at night.

Stargazer
04-22-2013, 08:35
I wrote a book. Obviously, Divemaster's post struck some deep emotions. Thankfully, before pressing the submit button, I regrouped.

I am grateful to all that serve. I cherish the stories I've been told, including those of my family members (not told by the men but others). I will never forget and ever honor.

In closing, I will just leave it at.. you all annoy me. :)

MR2
04-22-2013, 10:30
I enjoy being annoying...

rubberneck
04-22-2013, 10:42

The nearest Walmart is in Warminster so you can tack on a 10 mile drive 15 mph below the speed limit to you're things to do.::p

Sadly, for many, those men are all but invisible. It's wrong on so many levels.

Trapper John
04-22-2013, 11:26
The nearest Walmart is in Warminster so you can tack on a 10 mile drive 15 mph below the speed limit to you're things to do.::p

You read my mind, and I really like to drive real slow through the left turn signal onto Street Road. That pisses off 5-7 cars behind me :D

Trapper John
04-22-2013, 11:33
My dad was a WWII vet so I knew what happened then but the gravity of what actually occured by winning WWII didn't sink in until I was a little older. I always go out of my way to speak to a Korean War vet. The Korean War vets never got the recognition they derserved. Being a Southeast Asia vet and being disrespected so badly coming home, I dislike being "Thanked" for my service because it is so patronizing. I knew what I was doing, I knew it was right. I don't want or need someone who spit at me then, telling me what a great guy I am now. About the only good thing to come out of Vietnam for the American soldier, sailor, marine was that America realized how disgraceful its behavior was toward the veterans and treats later vets with respect.

Let me add that the reason I resent being patronized by anti-war people is because we left 3 countries that we had promised to defend, completely unprotected. It allowed monsters like Pol Pot to murder millions of innocents. Teddy Kennedy, she who must not be named and the rest of the anti-war crowd are responsible for these murders. I don't know how they sleep at night.

Damn, Brother, you have expressed exactly my feelings. I have always felt so damned uncomfortable for exactly those reasons. I thought there was something wrong with me (well there is but that ain't it :D). Thank you for sharing that with all of us :lifter

rubberneck
04-22-2013, 13:06
You read my mind, and I really like to drive real slow through the left turn signal onto Street Road. That pisses off 5-7 cars behind me :D

That was you? Thank's now my kids know another couple creative uses of the f word.:D

JimP
04-22-2013, 14:45
Good story. A couple of years ago, before I was sentenced to the land of the lettuce-eaters, I was leaving AP Hill and stopped at a Wendy's for lunch. Saw an old guy sitting in the corner minding his own business slowly eating a sammich. I kind of felt sad for him and as I'm wont to do - wondered about "his story". Weathered face; craggy claw-like hands (obviously some cold injury and arthritis) and doing his best to eat his lunch in quiet. He shifted slightly and I noticed that the jacket he was wearing had a "Frozen-Chosin" survivor emblem on the lapel. He was quietly eye-balling me as I was in uniform and he gave a slight nod to me and mouthed the word "Sir". I got up and went over to him and offered to shake his hand. I explained I saw his jacket and that as I had done a year up on the DMZ, I understood how danged cold it got there. He looked at me and grinned and added: "Yup, cold......and a whole helluva bunch of Chinese".
I looked him dead in the eye and said: "yeah, but you guys took care of bunch of them that won't be bothering anyone again. I appreciate that".
Thought the guy was gonna tear-up. Good old man. Tough looking bird.

MR2
04-22-2013, 14:52
Damn good story Jim. Whole damn Thread in fact.

Seems like the allergy season is starting up early this year.

GratefulCitizen
04-23-2013, 12:06
My grandfather and his younger brother were WWII vets.

Grandpa was a Marine infantryman, fought at Guadalcanal at the Battle of the Tenaru and also at New Britain.
His brother, army infantry, was wounded and left for dead at Anzio, but was found to be alive when casualties were recovered.

After the war, they went on with their lives, grandpa finally reuniting with his war bride and meeting his 2 year old son.
His brother spent a year and a half recovering in the hospital.

At my grandfather's funeral, the first to show up and sign the book was a young former Marine he had spoken with a few times down at the casino on the Ute reservation.

The seat next to my grandmother was empty while my father gave the eulogy.
She beckoned the young Marine to sit next to her and held his arm.

Sitting behind them, I marveled at the bond across time between two men who served more than a half century apart from each other.

Upon learning of my grandfather's death, a coworker took an interest and a close friendship has developed in the ensuing decade.
He is a former Marine and a combat veteran.

We speak almost daily and he often refers to my grandfather (in reverent tones) during conversations.
This seems remarkable considering they never met.

While I was close to my grandfather, something occurs to me:
There are men across the ages (including many on this board) who never met him, yet know him better than I do.

Stories fade and histories blur.
However, so long as there are brave men, warriors, willing to offer all to preserve their civilizations, the spirits of those before will always be known.

Thank you for your service and sacrifice.

uspsmark
04-23-2013, 12:24
I don't know if any of you are Freemasons, but I am. I am also a veteran, and like many of you I have the deepest respect for all veterans, but most especially for the few remaining WWII vets. Many men, after serving in WWII, joined the Freemasons, Oddfellows, etc. It was a way of continued fraternal brotherhood. I have had the priveledge and honor of presenting several of these men with 50 and 60 year pins for service to Freemasonry. I had one in my Lodge that was at Bastogne as a machine gunner. He humped that machine gun all over the countryside. He was about 5' 5" tall and weighed about 160 lbs. I used to take him with me when I visited other Lodges as he was no longer able to drive. He told me many stories of his time in the service and I truly loved hearing him speak. A member of another local Lodge is a 97 year old WWII vet and has been in a nursing home for the past few years. A couple of guys went and got him the other night and brought him to Lodge and had a big meal for him and presented him with a lifetime achievement award. I could tell by the smile on his face that the fact that he was among his brothers meant more to him that any award ever would. I will always say and believe that those men truly comprised the Greatest Generation. Every time I see veterans asked to stand and be recognized at one of our many official functions, my eyes seem to well up and I get a little choked up at the same time.

Stargazer
04-23-2013, 13:12
Many men, after serving in WWII, joined the Freemasons, Oddfellows, etc. It was a way of continued fraternal brotherhood.

My Uncle John fought at Guadalcanal and was a Freemason. My great, great Grandfather had a symbol on his headstone which was unfamiliar to me. I learned he was a member of Odd Fellows. Prior to that time or since then, I do not hear much about this particular order.

dollarbill
04-23-2013, 17:14

Yesterday I took the time to visit my Grandfather. Plans were made for a complete day of just quality time. As I arrived I couldn't help but to think of what Divemaster had said, "live and learn." As I entered his assistance living apartment, we went into the living room and talked for awhile. I offered too cook him some breakfast. As we walked to the kitchen I couldn't help but notice his once long powerful strides were now quick little shuffles. But, the body that they transported was still filled with the same determination and spirit of his younger years.

As we talked of our lives and tribulations, one thing became apparently. He was quick with advising but slow to talk of his own experience and accomplishments. It's simply not his nature. As we spent the day talking, I realized that back when he served in the Army things were so much differant. Paper contracts weren't needed. A shake of the hand was good enough. The pride of doing a job right, when a vow was made it was kept.

This is the generation that followed there fore-fathers in building the foundation of this young country. They answered the call of duty without hesitation or complaints. They ask for nothing and expect nothing. Even though this country may of drifted off course, one thing remains in tact. That one thing is "Spirit". They are in fact "Silent Warriors"

As with each generation, they are blessed with there own Silent Warriors.
To these great people of the past, present and future I say to you God Bless and thank you.

Divemaster I would like to take the time to thank you for bringing out these buried feels. Feelings that should of never been tucked away. Again, my deepest apology for not having that clue. You can rest asure of one thing. As I drive down this Countries highways and byway, everyone of those little ole fellas I pass, I will tip my hat and say Thank You.

Trapper John
04-23-2013, 18:33
Paper contracts weren't needed. A shake of the hand was good enough. The pride of doing a job right, when a vow was made it was kept.

Great Post db :lifter As far as I am concerned, you have redeemed yourself.

As to the highlighted quote: Still is for us- just ask any of my Brothers.;)

blacksmoke
04-23-2013, 19:28
Reading this thread made my eyes tear up. Saw an older guy with a VN vet hat just yesterday and really wanted to make coversation with him. Felt tears well up, felt like a pussy. Next time I'll suck it up. Great thread.:lifter

Divemaster
04-23-2013, 20:05
Yesterday I took the time to visit my Grandfather. Plans were made for a complete day of just quality time. As I arrived I couldn't help but to think of what Divemaster had said, "live and learn." As I entered his assistance living apartment, we went into the living room and talked for awhile. I offered too cook him some breakfast. As we walked to the kitchen I couldn't help but notice his once long powerful strides were now quick little shuffles. But, the body that they transported was still filled with the same determination and spirit of his younger years.

As we talked of our lives and tribulations, one thing became apparently. He was quick with advising but slow to talk of his own experience and accomplishments. It's simply not his nature. As we spent the day talking, I realized that back when he served in the Army things were so much differant. Paper contracts weren't needed. A shake of the hand was good enough. The pride of doing a job right, when a vow was made it was kept.

This is the generation that followed there fore-fathers in building the foundation of this young country. They answered the call of duty without hesitation or complaints. They ask for nothing and expect nothing. Even though this country may of drifted off course, one thing remains in tact. That one thing is "Spirit". They are in fact "Silent Warriors"

As with each generation, they are blessed with there own Silent Warriors.
To these great people of the past, present and future I say to you God Bless and thank you.

Divemaster I would like to take the time to thank you for bringing out these buried feels. Feelings that should of never been tucked away. Again, my deepest apology for not having that clue. You can rest asure of one thing. As I drive down this Countries highways and byway, everyone of those little ole fellas I pass, I will tip my hat and say Thank You.

You've learned well, Grasshopper. Nicely done.

Basenshukai
04-23-2013, 20:11
Oddly, I find myself bragging way more about WWII, Korean War and Vietnam veterans than I do my contemporaries. At the same time, I have met many of those same veterans and they are usually bragging about us.

ender18d
04-23-2013, 20:26
This thread made me think of one of my favorite assignments back when I was working as a photographer during my break in service. I had the honor of photographing Col. Van Barfoot, WWII Medal of Honor recipient who went on to become an aviator who flew combat missions during Korea and Vietnam.

Talk about humbling. A guy earns the CMOH you figure he's earned the right to take it easy... instead this man stayed in the fight through two subsequent wars.

RIP, sir.

PS...
Funny side note: so he's getting ready for the shoot and while he's working on his tie he says: "here, hold this a second." Before I realized what was going on he put the CMOH in my hand. "FDR gave me that" he said. Never in my life have I been so afraid of dropping anything. ;)

PSM
04-23-2013, 21:00
My first job, at age 12, was as a shoeshine boy in a barber shop. A barber shop is probably one of the few places, in those days, that a boy my age could hear stories that were usually reserved for the VFW or American Legion Hall. It wasn't always war stories, there was talk of farm and ranch business, real estate transactions, and a bit of "manly" gossip. But the men did open up about their experiences in the wars. Probably the best education I ever received.

Do barber shops have shoeshine boys anymore? Are there any men's barber shops? Can 12 year old boys get a job in one if there is?

(I'm rather surprised that it has not, yet, been pointed out that these men served in a segregated military and came home to join the KKK and run diners and motels that were segregated.) Sarcasm, not humor. :mad:

Pat

Richard
04-23-2013, 22:06
(I'm rather surprised that it has not, yet, been pointed out that these men served in a segregated military and came home to join the KKK and run diners and motels that were segregated.) Sarcasm, not humor. :mad:

As you've just done? Sounds as if you've got issues. :(

Richard :munchin

PSM
04-23-2013, 22:10
As you've just done? Sounds as if you've got issues. :(

This relates to an inexcusable insult in a different thread.

Pat

Richard
04-23-2013, 22:13
This relates to an inexcusable insult in a different thread.

Pat

You should pay heed - that sound you're hearing is the ice cracking at your feet.

Divemaster
04-24-2013, 00:50
I knew I didn't need to put the OP in pink font. My brothers get it. When I get back to the JBLM area I'm going to have to screw up my courage and approach those annoying bastards in their hats and say hello. Hopefully they will shake my hand.

SF_BHT
04-24-2013, 04:34
You should pay heed - that sound you're hearing is the ice cracking at your feet.

Thank you Richard. When I read this in the night I was going to respond in a more blunt way.

And honestly I do not want to hear some attempt to justify why it was posted.......

Trapper John
04-24-2013, 05:03
Thank you Richard. When I read this in the night I was going to respond in a more blunt way.

And honestly I do not want to hear some attempt to justify why it was posted.......

Ditto for me Brother!

Beef
04-24-2013, 06:06
Oddly, I find myself bragging way more about WWII, Korean War and Vietnam veterans than I do my contemporaries. At the same time, I have met many of those same veterans and they are usually bragging about us.

And we brag about you current guys with great justification. There is no draft. There is no social pressure to serve, like in WWII, when to be an able bodies man out of uniform was a disgrace. You serve multiple tours with quick turn around and with us it was one 13 month tour (12 for Army.) You have a huge number of horrible disfiguring wounds that guys survive AND then rehab and CONTINUE TO SERVE! All while the "US Miltary is at war and America is at the mall." I am not taking anything away from veterans of previous wars. No way! They people I served with, my Dad and his contemporaries of WW II and Korea are all heroes. But in my mind, based on the large burden you bear, YOU guys are truly the "Greatest Generation!" Thanks!!!

FlagDayNCO
04-25-2013, 09:46
Thank you for posting the message. My neighbor is a Korean War Veteran and is the type of person one could hope for as a perfect neighbor.

While I was away in Afghanistan in 2003, my first son was born. When I finally came home, my neighbor walked up to me, shook my hand firmly and said "THANK YOU", to which I teared up. My neighbor endured all the misery and fighting that was Korea, returned home and lived a "normal" life. I told him he is the person I should be thanking, as if it were not for him and the Veterans that preceded me, I may not have walked this Earth as I do.

My neighbor told me the difference is that I volunteered to serve and fight in two wars.

Volunteer or drafted, the service of these humble old men is a stark reminder that we follow in their foot steps. I am grateful for their service and their friendship.

Flag Day NCO

Mike
04-25-2013, 22:27
My grandfathers bothe wentto France in 1917.
My dad was 506 PIR in Europe and uncles were a Marine and a SeaBee.
1966 I beat the draft by enlisting Airborne Infantry.
Got selected for SF in AIT.
I did 2 tours in an A Camp on the Cambodian border.
Very enlightening experience for a farmboy.

I got out after 4 years and have stayed active in veteans affairs and issues.
My hometown is in a rural area and since returning a few years ago have my spot at the morning cofee table with surviving WW2 guys and some VN guys.
We allow non vets as there is a small population.
What the fuck is it that makes someone who never served such a pitiful creature? Or were they just born like that.

Divemaster
04-25-2013, 22:54
What the fuck is it that makes someone who never served such a pitiful creature? Or were they just born like that.

I don't think they are all pitiful. Some of my closest frie...some of my frien....I have a couple acquaintances who aren't veterans.

Back to your question. I would say it is a matter of perspective. If you've experienced extreme danger and hardship most of life is trivial after that. If you haven't been there, then an hour long commute is like the Bataan Death March. Perspective.

Richard
04-26-2013, 07:35
Back to your question. I would say it is a matter of perspective. If you've experienced extreme danger and hardship most of life is trivial after that. If you haven't been there, then an hour long commute is like the Bataan Death March. Perspective.

You hit that nail on the head.

When my faculty or students would come to me with some perceived 'insurmountable' problem, I used to tell them, "Well, let's see now. It's a nice day, I'm warm and dry, I can eat whenever I want, I get as much sleep as I want, and there isn't anybody shooting at me. So why don't we just see what we can do about this 'insurmountable' problem."

I also used to tell them when they were being skitterish over something, "If you see me running, you'd better start running; until then, we're on it."

Perspective it is.

And so it goes...

BOfH
04-26-2013, 09:37
QP Divemaster,
Thanks for starting this thread. It has brought up fond memories of my childhood, sitting at my grandfather's(RIP) feet while he recounted some of his experiences in North Africa and Italy while serving with the 144th Infantry Regiment, Texas National Guard. He was wounded(for the docs and 18Ds: they needed to replace part of his large intestine that had been damaged beyond repair; it is interesting to note that the replacement held for almost 50 years, after which he started to have ulcers and ultimately they had to operate and replace the replacement) by shrapnel from a German tank shell near Monte Cassino and was honorably discharged after that. Shortly before he passed away, he told me his only regret was that he couldn't make it on to liberate the camps(the 36th ID, of which the 144th was part of, liberated some of the Dachau sub-camps). His Purple Heart resides with me, and when my children are mature enough, I plan on taking it out and explaining what it is, the meaning behind it and why the sacrifices made by our men and women in uniform play a crucial part in our daily lives, and most importantly, expressing our gratitude for those sacrifices.

My great-uncle(RIP) served with the OSS in Burma and the Philippines, while I was not all that close with him, I did speak with him from time to time about his experiences. True to form, he didn't say very much :D RUMINT is that he "consulted" with various organizations and agencies during VN as he did have some WWII wartime experience in the Indochina area. My grandmother's wedding dress was made from his parachute.

To all veterans and those currently serving: Thank You!

My humble .02

Divemaster
04-28-2013, 00:32
BOfH,

You're welcome. I really started this to be cathartic for me, but I'm touched it has struck a chord with so many here.

I've already resolved to suck it up, step up and let the "annoying ones" know how I feel. Who's with me?

dollarbill
04-28-2013, 06:07
BOfH,

You're welcome. I really started this to be cathartic for me, but I'm touched it has struck a chord with so many here.

I've already resolved to suck it up, step up and let the "annoying ones" know how I feel. Who's with me?

Master Divemaster, even thou I'm not ready to snatch the buzzing fly with chop stix, sign me up :lifter

Trapper John
04-29-2013, 05:25
I would say it is a matter of perspective. If you've experienced extreme danger and hardship most of life is trivial after that. If you haven't been there, then an hour long commute is like the Bataan Death March. Perspective.

Exactly, Brother! Everyday that I wake up and realize that I am still on the right side of the dirt, I think "this life is a gift". It's a strong motivator and really keeps things in perspective.

Thank you for the post and to all that have contributed to this thread - it has been very cathartic on many levels. :lifter

BOfH
04-29-2013, 13:56
BOfH,

QP DiveMaster,
I speak for myself when I say this, however, IMHO, I believe that many here would echo the same sentiment: The reason why this thread has struck a chord with me is for the same reasons as to why I am here, and honored to be in your house. While I can't physically shake everyone's hand, I can express my gratitude via this medium to those prior and current service members here, than being unable to thank them at all.

As for those who's hands I can shake, and say Thank You in person, I'm with you.

My .02
v/r
- BOfH

shadowbox
04-30-2013, 02:58
QP DiveMaster,
I speak for myself when I say this, however, IMHO, I believe that many here would echo the same sentiment: The reason why this thread has struck a chord with me is for the same reasons as to why I am here, and honored to be in your house. While I can't physically shake everyone's hand, I can express my gratitude via this medium to those prior and current service members here, than being unable to thank them at all.

As for those who's hands I can shake, and say Thank You in person, I'm with you.

My .02
v/r
- BOfH

Stepping out of my lane for a moment, I just wanted to echo the above post. The opportunity to give something back to the community by volunteering at the VA hospital while I was in school has long been one of my best decisions. I learned more about humility, courage, and the true meaning of "hero" from the men I had the honor of supporting than I ever could have hoped for.

Thank you all. That is all I can really say. Thank you, you damn few.