PDA

View Full Version : Kifaru's Universal GunBearer

Desert Fox
02-06-2004, 19:16
Hi,
Have anybody tried the Universal GunBearer from Kifaru??
Any Feedbacks??

http://kifaru.net/MGgunber.htm

Thank you

NousDefionsDoc
02-06-2004, 19:20
You bear your "gun" in your hands in SF. You do not tie it to your rucksack.

eggroll
02-06-2004, 20:07
now that you have been told so,

the gunbearer is a good piece of kit for a hunter or survivalist type.

I had two mounted on my EMR and one on my scout, for hiking and scrambling, the system was fairly secure. I would look at further investigation. Try the hunting forums at kifaru.net

EGG

NousDefionsDoc
02-06-2004, 20:16
I'm sure its a good piece of kit, I've never heard a bad word spoken about Kifaru. But you will never use it in SF.

Desert Fox
02-06-2004, 20:28
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
I'm sure its a good piece of kit, I've never heard a bad word spoken about Kifaru. But you will never use it in SF.

Thanks,

all noted.

Another question: what type of sling is used the most.I saw many pictures of ODAs with conventional slings.Is that the rule?

NousDefionsDoc
02-06-2004, 20:32
On my Team, we took the slings off for green ops. Slings teach bad habits (like slinging your weapon). And we taped down the sling swivels.

Desert Fox
02-06-2004, 20:43
On my Team, we took the slings off for green ops. Slings teach bad habits (like slinging your weapon). And we taped down the sling swivels.

I am very happy to hear that.I didnt know.

another question: per example, for a forward air observation mission, would YOU put a sling??

Thank you!

NousDefionsDoc
02-06-2004, 20:46
No.

Desert Fox
02-06-2004, 20:48
No.

Carefully noted.

Desert Fox
02-06-2004, 20:53
Hi

Another question: what about nav without sling? How do you deal with this, asuming you are with a map and a compass? Maybe a little difficult?
But you can always still hold your weapon with one hand, and aim the compass with the other, of course!

I will train myself in that way.I have ordered a non-firing replica of the M4, used for movies.In Canada firearms laws are very restricted.

NousDefionsDoc
02-06-2004, 20:57
That's what we used to have Lieutenants for, but now that they're gone, you put the rifle in the crook of your arm, it leaves both hands free.

Why are you so worried about slings?

Desert Fox
02-06-2004, 21:03
That's what we used to have Lieutenants for, but now that they're gone, you put the rifle in the crook of your arm, it leaves both hands free.

Why are you so worried about slings?

Excuse me but what you mean by crook? Maybe you know I am a French speaking soldier...

NousDefionsDoc
02-06-2004, 21:09
LOL - No, I didn't. The place where your elbow bends. The other way to do it is use a drive on rag (cravat) for a sling if you need one temporarily, makes much less noise. Do a search for B52 Tips of the Trade. Everything you need to know about green ops.

Here's another one:

http://www.specialoperations.com/Schools/Army/JOTB/b720.htm

Desert Fox
02-06-2004, 21:21
LOL - No, I didn't. The place where your elbow bends. The other way to do it is use a drive on rag (cravat) for a sling if you need one temporarily, makes much less noise. Do a search for B52 Tips of the Trade. Everything you need to know about green ops.

Here's another one:

http://www.specialoperations.com/Schools/Army/JOTB/b720.htm

I really thank you for that link.I will read it right now.
To answer your question ( why I'm wondering about slings): just a detail in many, but I am still very interested to know about it.I always have plenty of questions.And I try to answer them by thinking, live training, and by other's experience. I dont think my unit gives me enough training.

NousDefionsDoc
02-06-2004, 21:24
You're most welcome

The Reaper
02-06-2004, 21:49
I'll be the Devil's Advocate and say that I like a good sling for any number of applications.

TR

eggroll
02-06-2004, 21:57
why yes... the EGL does make the MMP sling
:cool:

Slings are good for certain applications, but OTOH, I would also agree with ND about it imparting a crutch mentality.

EGG

Razor
02-06-2004, 22:00
If you have a ski pole in either hand, a Kifaru gun bearer might come in handy.

Desert Fox
02-06-2004, 22:03
You're most welcome

The document you gave me was delicious! I learned many things.There is always something to learn.
I have a little question: what is a VS-17?

thank you.

NousDefionsDoc
02-06-2004, 22:04
Originally posted by Razor
If you have a ski pole in either hand, a Kifaru gun bearer might come in handy.

Now why in the hell would anybody carry a ski pole in the jungle?

NousDefionsDoc
02-06-2004, 22:05
I have a little question: what is a VS-17?

Visual Signal # 17 of course.

Desert Fox
02-06-2004, 22:09
Originally posted by eggroll
why yes... the EGL does make the MMP sling
:cool:

Slings are good for certain applications, but OTOH, I would also agree with ND about it imparting a crutch mentality.

EGG

what you mean by EGL and MMP sling??

Thank you.

The Reaper
02-06-2004, 22:14
Originally posted by Desert Fox
what you mean by EGL and MMP sling??

Thank you.

DF:

Shouldn't you come with a glossary, or a dictionary?

You need to learn to Google, install the tool bar, and use it.

Here is your first search: JCS Pub 1-02, DoD Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms

TR

Desert Fox
02-06-2004, 22:50
Originally posted by The Reaper
DF:

Shouldn't you come with a glossary, or a dictionary?

You need to learn to Google, install the tool bar, and use it.

Here is your first search: JCS Pub 1-02, DoD Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms

TR

Oh! I had it but I just never took the time to get use with it.:rolleyes:
Thank you to remember me this source.

eggroll
02-06-2004, 23:21
DF

the EGGROLL GEAR LABS is a small basement run gear shack (oh wait a minute, thats me) that happens to offer the Modular Manly Package sling.

www.google.com <---- use this, I am sure that there is a French equivalent.

if it seems like folks are giving you a hard time is that it seems like you're asking ??s like popping shots in the dark for no reason.

If you were direct your line of questioning and build upon something of substance, you may be able to get some more benefit.

The gunbearer as configured on my pack is to strap carry a longarm in the ruck while I carry a smaller personal weapon (unslung).

eggroll
02-06-2004, 23:24
VS17 panel

a vinyl/nylon panel which is dayglow internation orange on one side and San Francisco Magenta on the opposite. Used for AG signalling by ground troops.

EGG

Psywar1-0
02-07-2004, 05:54
Originally posted by eggroll
VS17 panel

San Francisco Magenta

I knew there was something Very Gay about VS-17's, I always felt so dirty after using them..........

Or it was just Rotor Wash:D

Max_Tab
02-13-2004, 13:50
Personally I alway's use a sling. A good tac sling adjusted right, keeps it right on your chest, and lets you use your hands for, oh say, climbing stuff, picking stuff up, and if it goes down, it's much faster to grab a pistol, then to try to fix your long gun.

just my .02

NousDefionsDoc
02-13-2004, 14:13
This thread should be called "The Urbanization of SF". LOL

Footmobile
02-28-2004, 11:31
From a snipers point of view the gunbearer is a great idea. If your going to be humping into your a/o and don't necessarily need or want to patrol with a bolt gun, the gunbearer fits the bill perfectly.

As soon as I have the cash I'm placing an order for a Kifaru MMR with the gunbearer.

NND...then I won't have to drag my rifle around in the dirt like an airman:D

NousDefionsDoc
03-07-2004, 13:51
NND...then I won't have to drag my rifle around in the dirt like an airman

And then make some cherrie clean it. LOL. I missed your post somehow.