PDA

View Full Version : SOFREP: The Long Shadow Of Katrina: Military Snipers Engaging U.S. Citizens?

perdurabo
04-15-2013, 11:39
Article by Brandon Webb from SOFREP. I did a forum search and didn't get any results for this article.

https://sofrep.com/19314/american-snipers-engage-us-citizens-in-new-orleans-circa-2005/

Team Sergeant
04-15-2013, 11:52
I'm not sure Brandon Webb understands the difference of sending NG as NG or under federal orders.

If he's going to quote a SFNG soldier I'd like to see that soldiers orders assigning him to active duy for that mission.

I've heard no one from the Special Forces community stating that they killed civilians while on active duty. It's not something you can keep quiet.

Frag grenades? Someone has been smoking the good stuff.

SF18C
04-15-2013, 11:59
Hmmm… states many active duty Spec Ops took leave to work for Blackwater…then talks about rogue private military contractors a la Blackwater’s poor hiring practices.

Plus the authors the only corroborating witness is dead. But uses Chris Kyle’s words to tell the story, why didn’t they do this story before CK was killed? This “very uncomfortable topic” is more than just a few years old.

And I love how the Boots on the Ground synopsis all speak to hearsay or innuendo, heck the word rumor is used 4 times.

I am gonna sit on the sidelines on this one for a bit.

sinjefe
04-15-2013, 12:03
Not one citation of a legitimate source. The few links he has, link to other opinion articles on SOFREP.

Total BS.

Team Sergeant
04-15-2013, 12:07
Brandon may have shot himself in the foot with this "story".

We'd know if SF snipers were engaging American civilians on American soil, overtly, covertly or clandestinely.

The story is pure bullshit. (The SF part anyway.)

perdurabo
04-15-2013, 12:07
Thanks for the input, guys.

Just to be clear, I didn't post this to stir anything up or to whip out my tinfoil hat, I just wanted to hear some thoughts from the real deals I trust, and so far, you're delivering, so thanks.

As a clueless civilian, I've heard the rumors of private contractors and SOF/SMUs being involved in Katrina, but largely chalked it up to tinfoilism. It seemed more realistic that these units were there for advising roles, but what do I know?

Team Sergeant
04-15-2013, 12:19
Thanks for the input, guys.

Just to be clear, I didn't post this to stir anything up or to whip out my tinfoil hat, I just wanted to hear some thoughts from the real deals I trust, and so far, you're delivering, so thanks.

As a clueless civilian, I've heard the rumors of private contractors and SOF/SMUs being involved in Katrina, but largely chalked it up to tinfoilism. It seemed more realistic that these units were there for advising roles, but what do I know?

I'm sure there were private contractors there and military and LEO's, but if active duty SF snipers were there killing civilians we'd know.

Sorry Brandon but I'm throwing the bullshit flag.

Team Sergeant
04-15-2013, 12:29
When Brandon Webb tells us here on Professional Soldiers the names of the SF snipers involved we will be more than happy to verify this "story".

perdurabo
04-15-2013, 12:33
When Brandon Webb tells us here on Professional Soldiers the names of the SF snipers involved we will be more than happy to verify this "story".

Jack Murphy* is a moderator of SOFREP and is currently active in the comments section of the SOFREP article. He is apparently former 5th SFG and may be able to shed more light on things and why they posted this story.

Again, I'm not trying to stir things up, my motive is to ascertain myth from fact as best I can.

* http://sofrep.com/usasoc/jack-murphy/

Dusty
04-15-2013, 12:39
lol

Team Sergeant
04-15-2013, 12:39
Jack Murphy* is co-editor of SOFREP and is currently active in the comments section of the SOFREP article. He is apparently former 5th SFG and may be able to shed more light on things and why they posted this story.

Again, I'm not trying to stir things up, my motive is to ascertain myth from fact as best I can.

* http://sofrep.com/usasoc/jack-murphy/

Well then between them I'm sure that they can tell us the names of those Special Operations Snipers (Seal and SF) and we'll verify their story. Otherwise it sounds like a lot of fecal material.

Utah Bob
04-15-2013, 13:40
No way this could have been hushed up. No way.

Dad
04-15-2013, 14:55
Tell me what I am missing here. I can't find where he accuses any SF of any form from being involved in the sniping. SEALS who took leave and were working for private security firms were those involved. Correct?

Team Sergeant
04-15-2013, 16:18
Tell me what I am missing here. I can't find where he accuses any SF of any form from being involved in the sniping. SEALS who took leave and were working for private security firms were those involved. Correct?

He makes more than one inference that Special Forces soldiers were there and armed for war. He also changed a few words after I had a discussion with him. But he's still inferring that AD SF was there. Look at his headline, it doesn't say SEALs, it says "military snipers" and he goes on to say "Special Operations (mainly SEALS)". Mainly SEALs? If it was mainly SEALS then who else is he referring to? He is definitely stating that AD SF soldiers were also there and armed with HE rounds. Did you not "read boots on the ground" part?

Team Sergeant
04-15-2013, 16:23
BrandonWebbmoderator4 Like

FYI- I further clarified in an update that my conversation with Chris centered around SEALs not SF. Apologies for any confusion. https://sofrep.com/19314/american-snipers-engage-us-citizens-in-new-orleans-circa-2005/

This was posted on his website just a little while ago. I asked him why mention SF at all if the article was about SEALs.