PDA

View Full Version : Good article on the Raymond Davis incident (Pakistan, not Colorado)

neecheepure
04-13-2013, 18:55
The Times posted one hell of a story about the political ramifications of the contractor shooting those twerps in Pakistan a couple of years ago. Don't know how much is true, but a good read nonetheless.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/14/magazine/raymond-davis-pakistan.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0&ref=world

orion5
04-16-2013, 10:11
This was a great read, if true, as you say.

It's hard to imagine how difficult a diplomatic posting in Pakistan would be. What does "success" look like when the relationships are full of lies, suspicions and private agendas that do not align.

As I understand it, this was an excerpt of Mark Mazzetti's new book. It sounds like he had intimate knowledge of classified information and I continue to be amazed at how journos get the access, and how they're able to publish it.

Probably just me and my naiveté, but I can't believe we're giving the Pakis and the rest of the world intimate knowledge about the CIA, private diplomatic strategies, negotiations, conversations, etc. Surely this endangers everyone working in these 3rd world countries going forward....