PDA

View Full Version : Ft Bragg cancels 4th of July celebration

Snaquebite
04-11-2013, 12:29
Due to budget issues, Fort Bragg is cancelling its 4th of July celebration and reducing services in many other areas.

“Our reduced operating budget for the remainder of this year forces many very tough decisions; notably I must cancel our annual Fort Bragg 4th of July celebration,” said Lt. Gen. Daniel B. Allyn, commanding general, XVIII Airborne Corps and Fort Bragg. “With overtime pay costs of $120,000, the 4th of July celebration is unsupportable under these fiscal realities. With a pending civilian workforce furlough and a 34 percent operational budget cut, we’re prioritizing our services to ensure our readiness and care of service members, civilians and families.”

Other changes include:
... - Cancellation of weekend controlled burn operations by forestry management.
- Closure of unprofitable Morale, Welfare, and Recreation facilities: Habanero’s Grill, Runway Bowling Lanes, the woodworking shop, and, beginning April 27, Cleland Ice Rink.
- Reduced limited visibility lighting at all athletic fields, except during PT hours (6 to 8 a.m.) at the following locations; Ritz-Epps fields 1-4, Pope fields 1 and 2; Bowley Field; Pope Track, and Hedrick and Towle stadiums.
- Cancellation of mowing and landscaping contracts, except to preserve safe airfield conditions.
- Cancellation of cable TV contracts in MWR fitness centers.
- Cessation of Linden Oaks to Main Post shuttle.

From Ft Bragg Facebook page.

Badger52
04-11-2013, 13:17
Armed Forces Day/Open House this year was cancelled up here several weeks ago.
Interesting that MWR has to close their loss-leaders; this must be really serious.

Stargazer
04-11-2013, 13:38
One of my friend's son is EOD stationed at Ft. Stewart. She said that staples such as toilet paper and paper towels are slow to be restocked in restrooms. She also gave me the name of a Capt. at a FOB who would welcome food / snack carepackages for his guys. They are living on 2 MRE's (sometimes 3) and kitchens closed. Her son knows the Capt. They are hungry.

Guess some of the EOD guys getting ready to deploy are concerned about safety equip. Some of these youngmen do not have the extra cash in their bank accounts to buy the equipment they want. They've been told to 'suck it up'...

This may not give pause to many, but for those who have family/friends, it is unsettling to say the least.

longrange1947
04-11-2013, 14:46
Think of the money saved if they just fired about 3/4 of the GOs? :munchin :D

Pete
04-11-2013, 14:57
$120,000?

That's chicken feed for Ft Bragg.

Wonder what the bill was for the Jazz Fest at the WH the other night?

Wonder how many folks were at the WH event the other night vs how many went to see the fireworks each year?

It looks like everyone got the same memmo. Cut the most visable item that will impact the most folks.

Snaquebite
04-11-2013, 15:14
Where are the LEADERS on Ft Bragg?
A solution oriented leader would have gotten his staff together and said something like this: "Cancel 4th of July? That's Bullshit! I know there is fat that can be cut but nations birthday isn't one of them. Make it happen!"

Dozer523
04-11-2013, 15:30
I remember that from the 80's. the only really cool part was the howitzers playing percussion during the 1812 Overture. If I wasn't sponsoring a Zimbabwe Major through the Q I'd have skipped it.
Seemed like just old retired mom and . . . .pops . . . were . . . there . . . any---
Never mind. I thought it was great:p

Streck-Fu
04-11-2013, 15:56

That's my question for much of the military leadership after this cancellation follows the Blue Angel season cancellation and grounding of several squadrons.
It seems the military leadership is too willing to go along with this BS and it is pathetic.

VVVV
04-11-2013, 16:05
They cancelled AirFest at MacDill this year. It usually draws in excess of 150,000 people to the base over two days.

nousdefions
04-11-2013, 16:16
I remember that from the 80's. the only really cool part was the howitzers playing percussion during the 1812 Overture. If I wasn't sponsoring a Zimbabwe Major through the Q I'd have skipped it.
Seemed like just old retired mom and . . . .pops . . . were . . . there . . . any---
Never mind. I thought it was great:p

I went every 4th during my SWC tour. I concur that the 1812 Overture was great, but Lee Greenwood singing "God Bless the USA" was the real tear jerker.

Pete
04-11-2013, 16:35
Well, at least the Ft Bragg Fair is still a go - so far.

http://www.fortbraggmwr.com/fair/

Sure did miss Octoberfest last fall.

When running the events becomes spotty people find other things to do - and then forget about your event.

Box
04-11-2013, 17:56
...so, since Independence Day is CLEARLY no longer a tradition that our military leaders can we all g on relaxed grooming standards?

Think of the money we can save if we shut down a few of the barber shops on post.

I continue along my journey, underwhelmed and uninspired.

MtnGoat
04-11-2013, 18:36
$120,000?

That's chicken feed for Ft Bragg.

That is frinkin crazy.. $120,000. Last I knew, soldiers and airmen are 24/7?? No need to pay for civillian cops or any civillians to work extra IMO. What a joke!!

Wonder what the bill was for the Jazz Fest at the WH the other night?

Wonder how many folks were at the WH event the other night vs how many went to see the fireworks each year?

It looks like everyone got the same memmo. Cut the most visable item that will impact the most folks.

Yeah the Jazz Fest was important..while the WH tours are not. Love to see a report on that Sercet services and other LEO support for it.

Gypsy
04-11-2013, 20:09
She also gave me the name of a Capt. at a FOB who would welcome food / snack carepackages for his guys. They are living on 2 MRE's (sometimes 3) and kitchens closed. Her son knows the Capt. They are hungry.

I'd be happy to help, if it's okay you can PM me his info.

Stargazer
04-12-2013, 09:20
I'd be happy to help, if it's okay you can PM me his info.

Thank you. The information is inbound. LL

glebo
04-12-2013, 10:23
A solution oriented leader would have gotten his staff together and said something like this: "Cancel 4th of July? That's Bullshit! I know there is fat that can be cut but nations birthday isn't one of them. Make it happen!"

tin foil hat time...

It could be also the "undoctrination" of folks held to our dear holidays/celebrations, or "un-Americanizing" us.....

Octoberfest, now the 4th...what's next?? Christmas...??

Make them go away...and people forget about them....

The Reaper
04-12-2013, 16:40
They are scrubbing the budgets hard.

If I had a choice between civilian overtime for an Independence Day celebration, or toilet paper in the latrine, I am voting for the paper.

TR

Dusty
04-12-2013, 16:52
Blue Angels v. Soul Train :mad:

Pete
04-12-2013, 16:55
Fayetteville SwampDogs plan to host July Fourth event to replace Fort Bragg celebration

http://fayobserver.com/articles/2013/04/12/1250069?sac=fo.military

"The Fayetteville SwampDogs plan to host a Fourth of July celebration to help fill the void created by the cancellation of Fort Bragg's annual event.

Jeremy Aagard, general manager of the team, said the SwampDogs would host a family-friendly event, complete with a fireworks show, on July 4.................."