PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Loads Could Burden Women's Infantry Role

BMT (RIP)
04-10-2013, 07:17
What's new pussy cat??

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2013/04/10/heavy-loads-could-burden-womens-infantry-role.html?ESRC=eb.nl

BMT

Dusty
04-10-2013, 07:28
"The Army has known for years that its troops are overloaded. In 2001, the Army Science Board concluded the weight carried by soldiers decreased mobility and increased fatigue and injury. But its recommendation -- that soldiers carry no more than 50 pounds for any length of time -- has not proven possible in the field.

The Army has spent a lot of time over the last decade of war to lighten the soldier’s load. The Asymmetric Warfare Group teamed up with Johns Hopkins University in 2009 to conduct a soldier load assessment to help ease the burden of infantrymen struggling in the mountainous terrain of Afghanistan."

They won't lower the standards, they'll lower the necessity for strength and endurance.

Surgicalcric
04-10-2013, 07:38
They won't lower the standards, they'll lower the necessity for strength and endurance.

Fact of the matter is many times there are items which may be needed that get left behind because guys just cant carry anymore weight. So the lighter the gear becomes the more of it a soldier can carry.

The unfortunate part for Infantry OSUT is the loads carried there isnt heavy at all and females will make it past that gate and onto a platoon before its realized they dont have what it takes to fully keep up (there are quite a few guys who fall into this category as well.)

When it comes to SF and the SFQC and being on a team, we peered guys who couldnt carry their loads. Rab and I led the charge on a few guys back in SUT and then again in Sage. They were good guys but they were not strong enough to get the job done. My infil ruck at Sage was 130lb and I wasnt the heaviest on the team - and I have carried heavier loads in combat.

It is what we do...

Dusty
04-10-2013, 07:39
“You need to go leaner and meaner. Infantry is going to go high tech and it will cost money, but it’s not just a woman-thing -- they’ve got to do this for all of them.”

Which will be obtained from where, exactly?

:confused:

When I went to basic, they showed us drawings in a slide show of these little flying segway-looking scooters we'd get around on in the battlefield by the year 2000. What up wid dat? :D

Chairborne64
04-10-2013, 07:41
People have been saying they will "lighten the load" of the foot soldier since the time of Ceaser. It has just gotten heavier. Look at the two studies that were done lately. The one in 2003 of a 10th MTN BN showed the average weight an infantryman was carrying was 103 lbs. After almost 8 years of war and all the attention on REDUCING the soldier's load the second study shows the average load had INCREASED to 117 lbs.

sinjefe
04-10-2013, 07:54
This is the only way they will ever hump a standard infantrymans load.

Dozer523
04-10-2013, 10:52
AWG didn't lighten the load one bit because they just concentrated on making the individual pieces lighter. Apparently every time they get to the part in the critique from a Grunt that reads,"100 pounds of high speed, light weight stuff still weight 100 pounds. . . " they stop reading.

I've said it before and ill keep saying it, if you have more than 100 pounds in your ruck you need a vehicle or a resupply plan. If they'd hit the beaches at Normandy the way we ruck we'd still be outside Metz. By the way, drowning was way high on the list of cause of death during Over Lord.

We've been to the moon and back, ya know.

VVVV
04-10-2013, 11:24
When I went to basic, they showed us drawings in a slide show of these little flying segway-looking scooters we'd get around on in the battlefield by the year 2000. What up wid dat? :D

You may be confusing your time in Mouseketeer Basic Training at Disneyland with BCT! :D

Dusty
04-10-2013, 14:15
You may be confusing your time in Mouseketeer Basic Training at Disneyland with BCT! :D

You're reaching, Bro. I mean, the intent's there, but you need to sharpen up your content and delivery. ;)

Dozer523
04-10-2013, 15:46
You're reaching, Bro. I mean, the intent's there, but you need to sharpen up your content and delivery. ;)

"Me thinks she doth protest too much"
Hamlet Act III Scene II (Queen Gertude):boohoo

Dusty
04-10-2013, 16:47
"Me thinks she doth protest too much"
Hamlet Act III Scene II (Queen Gertude):boohoo

Ah, Shakespeare...this quote reminds me of another,"Better a witty fool than a foolish wit."

Kyobanim
04-10-2013, 17:02
taH pagh taHbe'. DaH mu'tlheghvam vIqelnIS.

You have never experienced Shakespeare until you have read him in the original Klingon

Which begs the question, 'which Group is responsible for the Klingon Empire?' (or maybe a different thread) :munchin

Sdiver
04-10-2013, 17:08
Instead of having carry the loads in rucks, just give these types of bags.
They'll be able to hump it for hours ....