PDA

View Full Version : Not for sale!

SF18C
04-06-2013, 21:05
My post is more a desire for info and NOT a sale pitch!

So I was cleaning out the gun safe today, taking inventory and re-evaluating my current firearms. Now I am one of those people that think one should never get rid of a working gun BUT I have four 9MM pistols, used pistol prices are still on the high side, and 9MM ammo isn't exactly falling off the bullet tree in my backyard. That got me thinking, maybe now would be a good time to sell or trade for something else (that has ammo in stock).

I guess I have two questions, if you had to pick between one of the two, which would you pick and what is a fair asking price?
I did a cursory look at Armslist and Gunbroker, but I don't really trust the prices I see listed there. They seem way too high to be remotely realistic. Both guns have had a fair amount of rounds shot thru them and are reliable just not the best guns in the world (IMHO).

Smith & Wesson SW9F 9MM
Copy of a Glock with a so-so trigger, two 17 round magazines with no visible wear. Bought 1998 or so.

Taurus PT 99 AF
Copy of a Beretta M9, biggest drawback… when fully loaded it weighs a ton when compared to the modern “plastic” guns. I have about 5 or 6 15 round magazines, slight to light wear. Purchased in 2000.

JJ_BPK
04-07-2013, 04:43
I took a look at Gunbroker's current sales history for these two..

Smith & Wesson SW9F: Copy of a Glock with a so-so trigger, two 17 round magazines with no visible wear. Bought 1998 or so.

Sale price 250 to 380.
The $380 was for a "new in box"

Taurus PT 99 AF: Copy of a Beretta M9, biggest drawback… when fully loaded it weighs a ton when compared to the modern “plastic” guns. I have about 5 or 6 15 round magazines, slight to light wear. Purchased in 2000.

Sale price 300 to 450,, 548.
The $548 was a one bid anomaly.

You will get more shekels for the Taurus because it looks "tactical" and the extra hi-cap mags.

YOU MIGHT do better selling to a local using a weapons oriented crag-list, if you have that in your state..

I have used this Florida site with good results:

https://floridaguntrader.com/index.php

If you're still in Tx?

http://texasguntrader.com/

or

http://www.armslist.com/

Good Luck.. :lifter

JJ_BPK
04-07-2013, 06:15
I took a look at Gunbroker's current sales history for these two..

forgot to add,, If you search gunbroker, go advance, "completed" auctions. select sort by "highest number of bids first".

Sometimes the highest number of bids still does not get sold because of very high reserves, but generally it is more indicative of sales..

Sorting by price is no help, as there are dummies that put high prices on stuff and don't get bids.

SF18C
04-07-2013, 06:30
JJ...thanks! Never heard of texasguntrader.com! I guess there is just too much internet!

I will most likely head down to my LGS and see what I can get in trade but its nice to have a ball park range to know what they are worth.

I hear the Springfield XDS in .45 is all the rage! Plus there is a Colt 1911 I have had my eye on for a while!

JJ_BPK
04-07-2013, 06:53
JJ...thanks! Plus there is a Colt 1911 I have had my eye on for a while!

You can never go wrong with a 1911.. :lifter

Personally, I am not a fan of plastic guns. I do have a G23, it's never had a problem,, but I love the feel of steel...

Although technically not a 1911, my S&W 945 PC is my current favorite auto..

SF18C
04-13-2013, 13:15
So I made what I felt was a pretty good trade today at my LGS.

Springfield XDs with 2 boxes of .45 and 2 boxes of 22LR.

YaY Me! :D Going to the range in the morning!

Dusty
04-13-2013, 14:56
So I made what I felt was a pretty good trade today at my LGS.

Springfield XDs with 2 boxes of .45 and 2 boxes of 22LR.

YaY Me! :D Going to the range in the morning!

Congrats!

How much .45 could you have bought? Was there a limit?

SF18C
04-13-2013, 15:11
Congrats!

How much .45 could you have bought? Was there a limit?

Funny you should ask, no limit on the .45 but the .22LR was limited to two boxes per customer! Oh and not a box of 9MM in the whole dang place! Price was $28.99 for a 50rd box of the 186Grs JHP PMC ammo and $5.59 for the 50rd box of the .22 40Grs HV ammo.

I didn't "pay" for the ammo it was part of the trade, in addition to the 2 guns I traded in, I had a bunch of evil high capacity clips to throw in with the deal so Tony and I had to haggle and I was trying to get out the door with out using any money.

Update:
I couldn't wait for tomorrow, I drug my wife out to the range and we and ran a box thru it!

How does it shoot? two words: VERY NICE.

A little more boom/kick than my current EDC Taurus PT111 9MM (that will change after today). But very accurate and I love the sights! One big difference is the 5 round mag, my PT111 holds 12, and in a gun as nice as the XDs five rounds goes really quick! I also think the XDs is just a weee-bit smaller than the PT111.

Time to head over to www.whitehatholsters.com and see about another IWB for the XDs.

orion5
04-14-2013, 19:58
Update:
I couldn't wait for tomorrow, I drug my wife out to the range and we and ran a box thru it!

How does it shoot? two words: VERY NICE.

A little more boom/kick than my current EDC Taurus PT111 9MM (that will change after today). But very accurate and I love the sights! One big difference is the 5 round mag, my PT111 holds 12, and in a gun as nice as the XDs five rounds goes really quick! I also think the XDs is just a weee-bit smaller than the PT111.

Congrats! That is the next pistol I want to buy. At the 3 ranges I frequent, I know more than 10 ladies with the XDs .45. I've heard nothing but rave reviews. It seems a lot of women are buying it too.

On the mags, there's a 7 rounder that goes for $39.95 (vs $28.95 for the 5 rd mag). For the past 2 years the Springfield Armory online store has had a 30% off sale leading up to Father's Day. Don't know what will happen this year with all the supply shortages, but you might be able to get the 7 rd mag on sale for the same price as the 5.