PDA

View Full Version : Hagel Calls for Major Overhaul of U.S. Military Structure

BMT (RIP)
04-03-2013, 14:09
http://www.defensenews.com/article/20130403/DEFREG02/304030008?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

BMT

Dusty
04-03-2013, 14:38
More hope and change.

PRB
04-03-2013, 14:55
If he decides to reduce Command overhead based upon boots on the ground I'd be willing to look at his proposal.
Asking the Joint Chiefs to reduce command overhead is like asking an addict to reduce his own usage....not going to happen.
What is the GO to troop ratio presently?
Not sure what is still valid but

http://www.g2mil.com/tenured.htm

Snaquebite
04-03-2013, 15:14
If he decides to reduce Command overhead based upon boots on the ground I'd be willing to look at his proposal.
Asking the Joint Chiefs to reduce command overhead is like asking an addict to reduce his own usage....not going to happen.
What is the GO to troop ratio presently?
Not sure what is still valid but

http://www.g2mil.com/tenured.htm

2010 it was about 1:1700 IIRC for the Army. I'm sure the troop figure is much lower now.

airbornediver
04-03-2013, 15:17
yeah, b/c there's so much money right now for this.

Joker
04-03-2013, 15:40
Some numbers to consider:
~38 Four Stars
660 GO/FOs total

Do we need that many?

PRB
04-03-2013, 15:46
Some numbers to consider:
~38 Four Stars
660 GO/FOs total

Do we need that many?

The amount of GO's presently serving is about the same we had in WW2 when 12 million were in uniform.
There are some unique HQ's but I 'suspect' we might be able to lose a few layers of paste.

afchic
04-04-2013, 07:52
If DoD is to truly "reform" then in my opinion, one of the first steps is to get Congress to come up with a new budget cycle. Anyone who has ever worked POM, PPBS, BES, etc knows that Congress's cycle does anything but help keep budgets down.

Want to start saving some serious money, incentivize leaders to be good stewards of their funding, vs the current way of doing things. "If we don't spend all this money by 30 Sep, we are going to loose it and get less next year."

How much wasted furniture, copier paper, toner cartridges, computers etc are bought at the end of the fiscal year for no other reason that the money gets spent or it disappears?

Richard
04-04-2013, 08:22
...incentivize leaders...

Is that a real word outside the world of bureaucratic jargon? How about just saying, "giving leaders an incentive to..." or such? :p

As to the topic at hand, I agree with your point. I saw a few "leaders" with that mentality - a "me" mentality in my book. I had one boss (Bn CDR) whose view was that we request the s**t out of everything because the money was out there somewhere and our higher HQs would just pull it from some shmuck who was trying to be frugal and reallocate it to us - all we had to do was make it sound as if we needed it whether we really did or not. I was always getting lectured by him on how I didn't understand the "Army way" and needed to spend more. Ironically, he always mentioned my budget management in achieving our METL as a positive on my OER.

I think a bit of "frugality" across the board in the DOD (and .Gov in general) would go a long way in curing the budget woes we're facing now and in the foreseeable future.

Richard :munchin

jntobin
04-04-2013, 08:35
in 2008, at the request of my Congress Critter, now retired, I took part in an analysis of the DA Budget. It was eye-opening, we had more GOs than in WWII with the Air Force still in our structure. Over 34% of our force was on Staffs, not MTOE unit staffs, but one the staff of Commands and Directorates, our tooth to tail ratio was double digits, we had more PAOs and EEO officers than AT/FP officers.

It also showed that the Division has become nearly obsolete, with modern comms, Corps now control Brigades. The structure should be a true regiment with its own engineers, artillery, etc for tactical control and sleek chain of command, attachments would make it a fighting brigade, with further support from corps artillery and assets. The only exception would be the 82nd.

A lot of other conclusions came from this study, if anyone is interested let me know, or I can put in on this venue. Let me know