PDA

View Full Version : Columbia University hires former Weather Undergound convict

Streck-Fu
04-02-2013, 19:33
I wasn't sure if this should go into Soapbox or (dark) Comedy......

LINK (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/apr/2/columbia-u-hires-convicted-weather-underground-mem/)

Kathy Boudin, an ex-Weather Underground radical who spent time in prison for a dramatic armed-car robbery that left two police officers and security guard dead, has a new gig: adjunct professor at Columbia University.

She’s going to be teaching specifically in the university’s School of Social Work, the New York Post reports.

Ms. Boudin spent 22 years behind bars for driving the getaway car during the heist and was paroled in 2003. Now 69, she’s switched her career of crime for one of academics. She’s also the Sheinberg scholar-in-residence at New York University Law School, the Post reports.

I'm trying to think of someone that attended Columbia and associated with members of WU....can't........quite.......place .......it.....

SF18C
04-02-2013, 19:57
This is not a surprise anymore! And that is the really terrible thing!

JJ_BPK
04-03-2013, 04:32
Kathy Boudin, an ex-Weather Underground radical who .......

She’s going to be teaching specifically in the university’s School of Social Work, the New York Post reports.

I'm sure this POS will be using her thesis (How to Kill PIGS, and get away with it, An AAR) for the class curriculum...

Richard
04-03-2013, 09:54
I really don't see the umbrage with this.

She drove the getaway car for a robbery, served 22 years of a 75 year sentence in prison as an accessory, and was honorably paroled.

She now lectures to future social workers and lawyers on the parole system and the issues facing convicts and their families when a person is released from prison. She sounds far more qualified to do so than any of us or - perhaps - many other professors who teach the same subject material. I would imagine her personal vignettes on her experiences with the NY prison and parole systems would make for some interesting lectures.

Dr. Kathy Boudin has been an educator and counselor with experience in program development since 1964, working within communities with limited resources to solve social problems, and supporting individuals to overcome their own odds and develop a sense of strength and direction. Dr. Boudin has focused her work on the HIV/AIDS epidemic, and criminal justice issues including women in prison; mother-child relationships and parenting from a distance; adolescent relationships with incarcerated parents; restorative justice, and higher education and basic literacy inside correctional institutions.

Dr. Boudin is employed by the Center for Comprehensive Care, HIV AIDS Center, at St. Lukes Roosevelt Hospital where she is developing programs related to health care for people who are HIV Positive and counseling patients individually and in groups. She is currently a consultant to the Osborne Association in the development of a Longtermers Responsibility Project taking place in the New York State Correctional Facilities utilizing a restorative practice approach. Dr. Boudin also has been a consultant for Vermont Corrections, the Women’s Prison Association, and Family Justice.
She has provided training and supervision to social workers as they work with individual people in prison.

She received her Ed.D. from Columbia University, Teachers College.

http://socialwork.columbia.edu/faculty/adjunct-faculty/kathy-boudin

She sounds like a model of what our prison system aims to do and often seems to fail at doing - punishing and then rehabilitating.

According to the accepted rules of our society, she's paid her debt - do we now deny her the ability to seek meaningful employment vs being a 'ward' of the state and yet another taxpayer borne burden? :confused:

And so it goes...

Richard :munchin

Team Sergeant
04-03-2013, 10:09

She drove the getaway car for a robbery, served 22 years of a 75 year sentence in prison as an accessory, and was honorably paroled.

And so it goes...

Richard tell that to the wives and kids that were left without a father she helped murder. She should rot in prison for the rest of her life and not be teaching children.

Dusty
04-03-2013, 10:38
I wasn't sure if this should go into Soapbox or (dark) Comedy......

LINK (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/apr/2/columbia-u-hires-convicted-weather-underground-mem/)

I'm trying to think of someone that attended Columbia and associated with members of WU....can't........quite.......place .......it.....

Libs love WU members, especially Ayers and Dohrn.

The Reaper
04-03-2013, 16:17
Richard, look it up, she is a convicted murderess, regardless of her role in the crime.

I don't think you should be teaching at a prominent university with that on your resume.

TR

Paslode
04-03-2013, 17:27
Wiki has a better bio on Kathy Boudin than Columbia....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathy_Boudin

She is part of a gene pool that should have been eradicated, not educating Americas future.

Dusty
04-03-2013, 17:30
Wiki has a better bio on Kathy Boudin than Columbia....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathy_Boudin

She is part of a gene pool that should have been eradicated, not educating Americas future.

What a name! Boudin. Means pig guts.

MR2
04-03-2013, 17:43
I don't think you should be teaching at a prominent university with that on your resume.

Prominent?

sinjefe
04-03-2013, 17:45

She now lectures to future social workers and lawyers on the parole system and the issues facing convicts and their families when a person is released from prison. She sounds far more qualified to do so than any of us or - perhaps - many other professors who teach the same subject material. I would imagine her personal vignettes on her experiences with the NY prison and parole systems would make for some interesting lectures.

She sounds like a model of what our prison system aims to do and often seems to fail at doing - punishing and then rehabilitating.

According to the accepted rules of our society, she's paid her debt - do we now deny her the ability to seek meaningful employment vs being a 'ward' of the state and yet another taxpayer borne burden? :confused:

And so it goes...

Just because our criminal justice system let us down by not putting her in prison for life or giving her the death penalty doesn't mean she deserves life as normal or forgiveness. From reading up on her, she doesn't seem too sorry. F--- her. Sympathy for her is misguided. The victims families deserve it.

Richard
04-03-2013, 18:03
As I see it...

She was a militant radical who broke the law.
She was caught and sentenced IAW the provisions of the law.
She was considered to be duly punished IAW the provisions of the law.
She was considered to be rehabilitated IAW the provisions of the law.
She was paroled IAW the provisions of the law.
She is earning a living by assisting/mentoring/teaching adults in specific areas for which she is especially trained and qualified IAW the provisions of the law.

Damn those pesky 'rule of law' principles - rule according to law; rule under law; and rule according to a higher law - upon which our nation proclaims its founding and continued existence.

Personally, I wonder how she reconciles the reality of her past behaviors with her continued existence. Penance, perhaps. :confused:

Sigaba
04-03-2013, 18:05
She is part of a gene pool that should have been eradicated, not educating Americas future.Controlling crime through genetic parsing is a controversial notion, if not also revealing.

The Reaper
04-03-2013, 18:15
As I see it...

She was a militant radical who broke the law.
She was caught and sentenced IAW the provisions of the law.
She was considered to be duly punished IAW the provisions of the law.
She was considered to be rehabilitated IAW the provisions of the law.
She was paroled IAW the provisions of the law.
She is earning a living by assisting/mentoring/teaching adults in specific areas for which she is especially trained and qualified IAW the provisions of the law.

Damn those pesky 'rule of law' principles - rule according to law; rule under law; and rule according to a higher law - upon which our nation proclaims its founding and continued existence.

Personally, I wonder how she reconciles the reality of her past behaviors with her continued existence. Penance, perhaps. :confused:

So any inmate who completed their sentence and who has the appropriate degree is qualified to be a professor?

I personally don't see much, if any concern about penance from her.

She, and her faculty cohorts probably chalk it up to youthful indiscretion.

TR

SF18C
04-03-2013, 18:15
As I see it...

I wonder how the other people in the running for that job, that didn't kill anyone, feel about Boudin's selection?

ddoering
04-03-2013, 18:23
"served 22 years of a 75 year sentence"

Sounds like she CLEPed the rest. Too bad 75 doesn't really mean 75 because dead certainly meant dead.......

PRB
04-03-2013, 18:24
I see Richards point...she did the crime, she did the time so off she goes.
The real issue tho is not only is she working there, she is celebrated for her 'against the man' activity....her total involvement in the militant sector of the progressive movement.....
There are lots of excons capable of teaching the incarceration/parole system but they sought her out.
Like her other famous cause celebe friends Ayers/Dohrn they are a reflection of what is honored at our Universities....that is the point.

Sigaba
04-03-2013, 18:24
Is it intellectually consistent to argue that the Constitution and the Bill of Rights should be observed both in letter and in spirit and then to take an a la carte approach when events unfold differently than one would prefer?

I wonder how the other people in the running for that job, that didn't kill anyone, feel about Boudin's selection?FWIW, Columbia's School of Social Work is hiring (http://socialwork.columbia.edu/faculty/faculty-openings). So if anyone feels that they got snubbed by Boudin's getting tapped, they can throw their CV in the ring, get hired, and then voice their umbrage at faculty mixers for years to come.

The Reaper
04-03-2013, 18:27
Is it intellectually consistent to argue that the Constitution and the Bill of Rights should be observed both in letter and in spirit and then to take an a la carte approach when events unfold differently than one would prefer?

FWIW, Columbia's School of Social Work is hiring (http://socialwork.columbia.edu/faculty/faculty-openings). So if anyone feels that they got snubbed by Boudin's getting tapped, they can throw their CV in the ring, get hired, and then voice their umbrage at faculty mixers for years to come.

How many kills do you have to have on your resume to get hired there?

Can't wait to see what cushy job they have waiting for Mumia when he gets out. Of course, he was only convicted of one murder, so he might have to work his way up.

TR

mojaveman
04-03-2013, 18:28
I wonder how the other people in the running for that job, that didn't kill anyone, feel about Boudin's selection?

I agree 100%. In post 9/11 America she wouldn't be able get a job anywhere else with a background like that. She and her cohorts should have stayed behind bars for the rest of their lives.

sinjefe
04-03-2013, 18:35

FWIW, Columbia's School of Social Work is hiring (http://socialwork.columbia.edu/faculty/faculty-openings). So if anyone feels that they got snubbed by Boudin's getting tapped, they can throw their CV in the ring, get hired, and then voice their umbrage at faculty mixers for years to come.

The constitution and the bill of rights restrains government. Doesn't mean I have to forgive her, nor does it mean that I can't condemn the university for what I believe to be poor judgement at best and at worst giving the middle finger to traditional Americans.

SF18C
04-03-2013, 18:35

Hey Sig, would you let this guy babysit your grandkids in 25 years???

http://www.fbi.gov/losangeles/press-releases/2013/child-molester-sentenced-to-25-years-in-federal-prison-for-documenting-sexual-abuse-and-sending-photos-to-other-pedophiles

Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean it the RIGHT thing!!!

I guess this says more about Colombia's decision making process more than Boudin having repaying her debt to society.!

Streck-Fu
04-03-2013, 18:46

I don't have enough confirmed innocent deaths to qualify.....

VVVV
04-03-2013, 19:19
I agree 100%. In post 9/11 America she wouldn't be able get a job anywhere else with a background like that. She can rot in hell as far as I'm concerned.

Then how do you explain that she was employed by St Lukes Roosevelt Hospital for the 10 since she was paroled in 2003. She also serves on the Board of Directors of ICARE.

http://www.nyicare.org/director.htm

Richard
04-03-2013, 19:48

Ah - a return to the good ol' days of "Eugenics"...

Just because our criminal justice system let us down by not putting her in prison for life or giving her the death penalty doesn't mean she deserves life as normal or forgiveness. From reading up on her, she doesn't seem too sorry. F--- her. Sympathy for her is misguided. The victims families deserve it.

"Let us down" how? Because you don't agree with what it did IAW the existing laws? Hunh. I suspect her life is anything but "normal" - and I don't see anybody advocating "forgiveness" or "sympathy" for her in here.

So any inmate who completed their sentence and who has the appropriate degree is qualified to be a professor?

That decision remains, for the time being, up to the university - not us, the NYPost, etc.

And she killed somebody? :confused: From what I read, she was involved in a crime in which some of her cohorts killed somebody.

I don't have enough confirmed innocent deaths to qualify...

Ah - snark. Misleading, too. The university may be a long shot but that would make you a "shoe in" with the MSM, DNC, etc. Good luck.

MR2
04-03-2013, 20:21
My issue is not with with the felon who served her time, but rather with the so-called institution of higher learning that hired her.

Sigaba
04-03-2013, 20:25
The constitution and the bill of rights restrains government. Doesn't mean I have to forgive her, nor does it mean that I can't condemn the university for what I believe to be poor judgement at best and at worst giving the middle finger to traditional Americans.IMO, as Columbia is a private institution, this matter is an issue for its stakeholders to handle.

I also think arguments centering around metaphorical slaps in the face are increasingly problematic and of decreasing effectiveness, especially when deployed by political conservatives.

In any case, the following contact information may be useful.
Office of the President
202 Low Library
535 West 116th Street, Mail Code 4309
New York, NY 10027

General Inquiries or to Contact the President
Phone: (212) 854-9970
Fax: (212) 854-9973
Email: officeofthepresident@columbia.edu

Speaking Requests (must be submitted in writing)
Susan Glancy, Chief of Staff
Email: skg56@columbia.edu

Media Inquiries
Office of Communications and Public Affairs
Phone: (212) 854-5573

Hey Sig, would you let this guy babysit your grandkids in 25 years???

http://www.fbi.gov/losangeles/press-releases/2013/child-molester-sentenced-to-25-years-in-federal-prison-for-documenting-sexual-abuse-and-sending-photos-to-other-pedophiles

Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean it the RIGHT thing!!!

I guess this says more about Colombia's decision making process more than Boudin having repaying her debt to society.!

IMO, your hypothetical is not applicable to this situation. Ms. Boudin is tasked with teaching adults, not watching children. Moreover, just how would a pedophile be allowed to work with children if he's paroled?

Additional questions. Which option better serves the public interest? Ms. Boudin attempting to redeem herself for her crimes through teaching, social work, and advocacy? Or Ms. Boudin in prison because popular opinion would like to over rule the professional judgement of a district attorney, a judge, and a parole board, to say nothing of the institutions that have hired her as a consultant? (Does one really want to foster an environment in which political correctness outweighs the judgement of professionals?)

The Reaper
04-03-2013, 20:51
Additional questions. Which option better serves the public interest? Ms. Boudin attempting to redeem herself for her crimes through teaching, social work, and advocacy? Or Ms. Boudin in prison because popular opinion would like to over rule the professional judgement of a district attorney, a judge, and a parole board, to say nothing of the institutions that have hired her as a consultant? (Does one really want to foster an environment in which political correctness outweighs the judgement of professionals?)

Redeeming herself? It looks to me more like recruiting or proselytizing the next generation of domestic terrorists.

IIRC, the judge in this case sentenced her to 75 years. A parole board released her early. How is this popular opinion overruling, except against the court's original sentence?

There are institutions that would hire Charles Manson, were he released today. That doesn't make it a good decision or one that we are required to endorse.

Columbia's leadership hired her. They can try and justify it anyway they want. IMHO, she is still a murdering witch who got out early, and it denigrates whatever academic reputation Columbia might still have retained to have employed her. Regardless, I am pretty certain that they would prefer her to any of the qualified conservative candidates who might have applied.

TR

PSM
04-03-2013, 20:57
IMO, your hypothetical is not applicable to this situation.

Nor would your factual point be had she been executed as she should have in a, truly, just society. Or, in this case, served out her full term.

I've learned, over time, that Devil's Advocates often become Devil's Disciples.

Pat

Flagg
04-03-2013, 22:20
My issue is not with with the felon who served her time, but rather with the so-called institution of higher learning that hired her.

Bullseye!

I wonder what the hiring standards and criminal history filters are for say a janitor or dishwasher at Columbia?

I have a funny feeling that convicted felons aren't eligible for employment at the lowest level, so why the inconsistency at the highest?

I'm buying that book on the infiltration of the Weather Underground.

Quite frankly,

I'm surprised the US and Europe hasn't seen the rise of Weather Underground 2.0, or Red Army Faction 2.0.

With economic volatility/strife and upsetting of the global Monopoly board impacting heavily on university students I'm stunned we haven't seen the outlier aggressive student protest movements......like the Larvae stage of Baader-Meinhoff, RAF.

Paslode
04-04-2013, 06:21
Controlling crime through genetic parsing is a controversial notion, if not also revealing.

Permanently removing Ayers, Dohrn and the rest the WU Gene Pool would have been more inline with eradicating a deadly pathogen than eugenics.

Anwar al-Awlaki was a similar pathogen that was eradicated.

tonyz
04-04-2013, 07:16
Boudin, Dohrn, Ayers, leftist terrorists, all.

Tenure at a US university is not out of the question...certainly, a scholar-in-residence position is attainable.

Think of the educational opportunities potentially awaiting leaders of the Sinaloa Cartel after serving their time in the pen - they are pretty well versed in global channels of distribution - Columbia B-School faculty here they come.

Might a contrite Khalid Sheikh Mohammed look forward to an endowed chair in Middle East studies in a decade or so?

:confused::mad::eek:

VVVV
04-04-2013, 07:35
Boudin was hired as an adjunct proffessor by Columbia in 2008, so why the sudden outrage? Must be a very slow news day.

Timely reporting!!

The Washington Times April 2, 2013

Kathy Boudin, an ex-Weather Underground radical who spent time in prison for a dramatic armed-car robbery that left two police officers and security guard dead, has a new gig: adjunct professor at Columbia University.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/apr/2/columbia-u-hires-convicted-weather-underground-mem/

The New York Post

"Columbia School of Social Work Associate Dean Marianne Yoshioka hired Boudin as an adjunct in 2008. According to the Post, Yoshioka called the convicted murderer “an excellent teacher who gets incredible evaluations from her students each year"

"Of the hundreds of students Boudin has taught, Yoshioka said, just three have expressed qualms about her criminal background, and only one “switched out” of a class because of those concerns."

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/outrage_puQlvJIeZxsT7nFZds0HIJ

VVVV
04-04-2013, 10:19
"served 22 years of a 75 year sentence"

Sounds like she CLEPed the rest. Too bad 75 doesn't really mean 75 because dead certainly meant dead.......

Boudin's sentence was 20 to Life not 75 years.

Lan
04-04-2013, 10:42
Robert Redford's Film The Company You Keep coming to a theater new you 4/5/13 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Company_You_Keep_%28film%29)

From Wikipedia:

The story centers on recent widower and single father, Jim Grant, a former Weather Underground anti-Vietnam War militant wanted for a bank robbery and murder, who hid from the FBI for over thirty years posing as an Albany attorney. He becomes a fugitive when his true identity is exposed by Ben Shepard, an aggressive young reporter. Grant must find his ex-lover, Mimi, the one person who can clear his name, before the FBI catches him. Otherwise, he will lose everything, including his 11-year-old daughter Isabel. While Ben struggles with ethical issues as a journalist, Jim and his old friends from the Weather Underground must live with the consequences of their radical past.

:munchin

Dusty
04-04-2013, 11:21
Robert Redford's Film The Company You Keep coming to a theater new you 4/5/13 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Company_You_Keep_%28film%29)

From Wikipedia:

The story centers on recent widower and single father, Jim Grant, a former Weather Underground anti-Vietnam War militant wanted for a bank robbery and murder, who hid from the FBI for over thirty years posing as an Albany attorney. He becomes a fugitive when his true identity is exposed by Ben Shepard, an aggressive young reporter. Grant must find his ex-lover, Mimi, the one person who can clear his name, before the FBI catches him. Otherwise, he will lose everything, including his 11-year-old daughter Isabel. While Ben struggles with ethical issues as a journalist, Jim and his old friends from the Weather Underground must live with the consequences of their radical past.

Oh yea! It's cool to be a WU member, now. Or gay. Or a female Green Beret. Or a socialist. And so on...
The Country's going to hell in a handbasket.

ironyoshi
04-04-2013, 15:36
Conservative blogger Ace said this (http://minx.cc/?post=338878) about the WU academic mafia today:

There's actually a good talking point for these murderers and bombers there. If they wish to prove the US is ruled by the wealthy aristocracy, and pampers the children of the wealthy and well-connected while ignoring the lower-class victims of their murders, they could cite the most compelling evidence of all: Their own murders, their own forgotten victims, and their own re-entrance into polite society without even the pretense of remorse.

Ayers, Dohrn, and Boudin are all testaments to the power of American privilege.

mark46th
04-04-2013, 16:03
While on the run from police, Dohrn married another Weatherman leader, Bill Ayers, with whom she has two children. During the last years of their underground life, Dohrn and Ayers resided in Chicago, where they used the aliases Christine Louise Douglas and Anthony J. Lee.[23]

In the late 1970s, the Weatherman group split into two factions, the "May 19 Coalition" and the "Prairie Fire Collective", with Dohrn and Ayers in the latter. The Prairie Fire Collective favored coming out of hiding, with members facing the criminal charges against them, while the May 19 Coalition continued in hiding. A decisive factor in Dohrn's coming out of hiding were her concerns about her children.[25]

The couple turned themselves in to authorities in 1980. While some charges relating to their activities with the Weathermen were dropped due to prosecutorial misconduct[26] (see COINTELPRO), Dohrn pled guilty to charges of aggravated battery and bail jumping, receiving probation.[27]

After refusing to testify against ex-Weatherman Susan Rosenberg in an armed robbery case, she later served less than a year of jail time.[26] Shortly after turning themselves in, Dohrn and Ayers became legal guardians of Chesa Boudin, the son of former members of the Weather Underground, Kathy Boudin and David Gilbert, after the couple were convicted of murder for their roles in a 1981 armored car robbery.[28] Wikipedia

I know it's not the best source but this has all the names of the players in it. If I were a conspiracy enthusiast, I would ask the following question

Obama was a friend of Bill Ayers. Did Obama pull strings to get Boudin paroled? Boudin was a co- leader of the Weather Underground. Obama went to Columbia. Boudin is teaching at Columbia. . Did Obama pull strings to get her hired?

None of it is against the law but it does show who influenced and maybe still is influencing Obama...

Richard
04-04-2013, 16:34
If I were a conspiracy enthusiast, I would ask the following question

Obama was a friend of Bill Ayers. Did Obama pull strings to get Boudin paroled? Boudin was a co- leader of the Weathermen Underground. Obama went to Columbia. Boudin is teaching at Columbia. . Did Obama pull strings to get her hired?

None of it is against the law but it does show who influenced and maybe still is influencing Obama...

Come on, Mark.

Did you look at Boudin's family pedigree in NY - to include her brother a judge on the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit- and their influential position there? She was paroled in 2003.

And Boudin is herself a Bryn Mawr and Columbia alumnus.

Perhaps she knows where Jimmy Hoffa is buried, too. :D

VVVV
04-04-2013, 16:58
YuuuuuP! An Illinois State Senator (Obama) had great influence over the NY State Parole Board in 2003!

Sigaba
04-04-2013, 19:52
So the take away from this thread is that non-SMEs should have a say on how professionals select others to join their ranks based upon what they've read on the internet and the way they think things should be.

What could possibly go wrong with such an approach?

ironyoshi
04-04-2013, 20:04
So the take away from this thread is that non-SMEs should have a say on how professionals select others to join their ranks based upon what they've read on the internet and the way they think things should be.

No one has suggested taking control of hiring and retention at Columbia, only that hiring Boudin is an ethically bankrupt idea only possible because of the forces of legacy and nepotism.

Has she ever publicly disavowed the WU agenda or apologized for her criminal actions?

Streck-Fu
04-04-2013, 20:20

Really, that is the view you formed from reading this? Maybe it takes one that is willing to skew their standards of ethics to consider this a completely above board move.

While the University is completely free to hire whomever they choose, I am able to judge that hire based on publicly available information.

ddoering
04-04-2013, 20:23

No. The take away is that their are a ot of people out there that need to be shot..

Its not pink because it is true.

PSM
04-04-2013, 20:47

If you have intimate knowledge in this situation, please share. Otherwise, your opinion is no more valid than ours. If professors are intent on being called "professionals", then I believe that they can be sued for malpractice. Are you ready for that? I am!

Pat

bluebb
04-04-2013, 20:54
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/04/04/The-Gory-Details-About-Terrorist-Teacher-Kathy-Boudin

The Days of Rage scared off much of the mainstream support for the SDS, leaving only the most radical. In December of 1969, the SDS War Council was held in Flint, Michigan. Largely led by members of the Weather Underground, what came to be known as the Flint War Council meeting was the rhetorical stage for much of the bloodshed that was to come.

Over three hundred people attended, including Kathy Boudin and future Obama neighbors Bill Ayers and Bernadine Dohrn, who were both extremely active Weather Underground leaders. Decisions were made to ‘go underground’ and to launch an offensive against the United States. At one point, they discussed whether white babies were valid targets and Boudin gave a speech referring to mothers of white babies as ‘pig mothers.’

The meeting wasn’t just talk; it was the kick-off for what would become over twenty bombings and other terrorist acts over the next 15 years.

The Brinks heist is often described as a ‘botched robbery’, but this is another characterization of Boudin’s crimes that gives an inaccurate impression, as though the Brinks robbery took an unexpected violent turn. This isn’t true; the crime was planned as a violent ambush and was carried out according to plan.

Richard and Sigaba, I guess this is the type of person who you don't mind teaching our youth.

Let the cycle continue.

Richard
04-04-2013, 21:27
Richard and Sigaba, I guess this is the type of person who you don't mind teaching our youth.

I would have no issues with her lecturing to my sons - whether or not they accepted her POVs is entirely up to them - I would hope that I had taught them well enough to know the difference between fact and fiction by the time they were in college.

Based upon our conversations over the years, I think they would. ;)

PSM
04-04-2013, 21:49
I would have no issues with her lecturing to my sons - whether or not they accepted her POVs is entirely up to them - I would hope that I had taught them well enough to know the difference between fact and fiction by the time they were in college.

And what about children who were not raised around your dinner table? :confused: Or any dinner table.

Pat

Paslode
04-04-2013, 22:02

If its true and you are paying for a product you betcha. The higher education system is a business, it sells a product. Most products sold to the masses require product labeling which discloses ingredients, hazards, etc so the consumer is aware of what they are buying.

Failure to disclose information can lead to legal troubles.

Columbia's product label for Ms. Bounding, her Bio is missing some critical information that could effect the decision making process of the consumer. Fact is her Columbia bio could mislead the consumer.

mark46th
04-04-2013, 22:16
Richard- It was meant to be in pink font... BUT- Following Columbia's logic- Lt Calley should be a 5 Star General and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff...

VVVV
04-05-2013, 05:42
If its true and you are paying for a product you betcha. The higher education system is a business, it sells a product. Most products sold to the masses require product labeling which discloses ingredients, hazards, etc so the consumer is aware of what they are buying.

Failure to disclose information can lead to legal troubles.

Columbia's product label for Ms. Bounding, her Bio is missing some critical information that could effect the decision making process of the consumer. Fact is her Columbia bio could mislead the consumer.

She's been teaching for 8 years.....

"Of the hundreds of students Boudin has taught, Yoshioka said, just three have expressed qualms about her criminal background, and only one “switched out” of a class because of those concerns."

MR2
04-05-2013, 06:02

Consider the paltry percentage of students who expressed a pang of conscience with only one acting with morality. What does that say about the college student population in general and at Columbia specifically?

Richard
04-05-2013, 06:46
And what about children who were not raised around your dinner table? :confused: Or any dinner table.

Well... ;)

And so it goes...

Study Finds Every Style Of Parenting Produces Disturbed, Miserable Adults
L'oignon, 26 Oct 2011

A study released by the California Parenting Institute Tuesday shows that every style of parenting inevitably causes children to grow into profoundly unhappy adults.

"Our research suggests that while overprotective parenting ultimately produces adults unprepared to contend with life's difficulties, highly permissive parenting leads to feelings of bitterness and isolation throughout adulthood," lead researcher Daniel Porter said. "And, interestingly, we found that anything between those two extremes is equally damaging, always resulting in an adult who suffers from some debilitating combination of unpreparedness and isolation.

Despite great variance in parenting styles across populations, the end product is always the same: a profoundly flawed and joyless human being."

The study did find, however, that adults often achieve temporary happiness when they have children of their own to perpetuate the cycle of human misery.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/study-finds-every-style-of-parenting-produces-dist,26452/?ref=auto

sinjefe
04-05-2013, 06:56
Well... ;)

And so it goes...

Study Finds Every Style Of Parenting Produces Disturbed, Miserable Adults
L'oignon, 26 Oct 2011

A study released by the California Parenting Institute Tuesday shows that every style of parenting inevitably causes children to grow into profoundly unhappy adults.

"Our research suggests that while overprotective parenting ultimately produces adults unprepared to contend with life's difficulties, highly permissive parenting leads to feelings of bitterness and isolation throughout adulthood," lead researcher Daniel Porter said. "And, interestingly, we found that anything between those two extremes is equally damaging, always resulting in an adult who suffers from some debilitating combination of unpreparedness and isolation.

Despite great variance in parenting styles across populations, the end product is always the same: a profoundly flawed and joyless human being."

The study did find, however, that adults often achieve temporary happiness when they have children of their own to perpetuate the cycle of human misery.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/study-finds-every-style-of-parenting-produces-dist,26452/?ref=auto

First, it says parenting between the extremes of overprotectiveness and permissiveness. There are other parenting styles. Also, I am to believe that, according to this, "despite great variance in parenting, the end product is always a profoundly flawed and joyless human being?"

That is total bullshit.

PS- The Onion? Really?:confused:

PedOncoDoc
04-05-2013, 07:14

And is she required to inform all of the students attending her class of her criminal history?

I would like to believe the numbers would be different if so.

Richard
04-05-2013, 07:22
PS- The Onion? Really?:confused:

Yep. Gotcha. :D :D

Paslode
04-05-2013, 07:35

If I am paying my young adults education I would not pay for a class taught by a terrorist and if I we were in the process looking for schools to attend come Fall I would cross Columbia off the list.

I do work for a History Professor from time to time that comes from a well known establishment. He is a likeable chap, who among other things mocks Capitalism, his basement is a treasure trove of Communist/Marxists/Socialist literature, he praises Che and Mao, and he lives for the day Dick Cheney bites it.

He also hates Christianity, and enjoys turning his classes on the openly Christian students in the class and rejoices when said students are brought to tears.

The kids love him too and he gets high marks on Rate My Professor! And someone like Yoshioka thinks he is suitable in a classroom as well.

JJ_BPK
04-05-2013, 07:39
Do you think we are giving this O2 stealing POS more PR than it deserves?? :munchin

SPEC4
04-05-2013, 08:23
Angela Davis

Her crime - 1970
A judge, one of the jurors, the prosecutor, and the three black men were killed in a shootout. Davis had purchased the firearms used in the attack, including the shotgun used to kill Haley, which had been purchased two days prior and sawed off. She had also written numerous letters found in the prison cell of one of the murderers.

Today

She is a retired professor with the History of Consciousness Department at the University of California, Santa Cruz, and is the former director of the university's Feminist Studies department.

:mad:

Dusty
04-05-2013, 08:56
It's special that not only are these vermin honored by students and other faculty, but are given a pass by so-called straight thinkers.

If you don't have a problem with evildoers such as Ayers, Davis and the subject of this post having input into your kids' development, you're an enabler, in my book.

This scum wasn't part of the solution decades ago, and they're not, now.

I lump these scumbags in with she who will not be named.

Richard
04-05-2013, 09:00
If I am paying my young adults education I would not pay for a class taught by a terrorist and if I we were in the process looking for schools to attend come Fall I would cross Columbia off the list.

I do work for a History Professor from time to time that comes from a well known establishment. He is a likeable chap, who among other things mocks Capitalism, his basement is a treasure trove of Communist/Marxists/Socialist literature, he praises Che and Mao, and he lives for the day Dick Cheney bites it.

He also hates Christianity, and enjoys turning his classes on the openly Christian students in the class and rejoices when said students are brought to tears.

The kids love him too and he gets high marks on Rate My Professor! And someone like Yoshioka thinks he is suitable in a classroom as well.

Hunh.

You're implying we should not allow our adult children exposure to anything beyond that of which we personally approve, we should not allow them to determine for themselves what to accept or reject when confronted with someone like the professor you describe (if the description is accurate) or Professor Boudin, we should not allow them to learn how to defend a position or personally held belief when confronted with a strong counter-argument, we should not allow them to be taught by someone who we don’t personally approve of for fear they might get the “wrong” idea(s), we should not trust them to experience life in its many forms and grow to be productively free-thinking adults in a society such as ours which demands such of its citizenry, we should not allow them to attend an internationally recognized university because there may be a professor somewhere on the faculty who might encourage them to accept ideas we find disagreeable and don't trust them to choose courses from other professors, and so forth.

I know you will find this shocking, but I disagree…and strongly suspect my sons would, too, but, as adults, it would be their choice to accept or reject such thinking, either ‘in toto’ or in part.

One of the best professors I had was a rabbi who taught a course on the History of the Zionist Movement at Indiana University. He was a strong admirer of and advocate for socialism as practiced in Sweden, and found fault with many of America’s social institutions and laws. He and I disagreed on many things, but he was an excellent and demanding teacher, and the class remains one of the 10 best I had during my college experiences over several decades.

Personally, I would be curious to hear what Professor Boudin has to say about the NY prison and parole systems and their impact on families as an SME based upon her years of study and experience both in and outside the prison system. I would also like to spend a semester with Noam Chomsky (MIT), Stan McChrystal (Yale), and Angela Davis (UC Santa Cruz) to hear their thinking as SMEs in their recognized areas of expertise.

However, YMMV – and so it goes…

SF-TX
04-05-2013, 09:16
For those that seem to be indifferent, I wonder if the name were changed to traitorous whore J*** F**** would you still feel the same?

About 70 members of a women's militia marched into Grant Park; Kathy Boudin, her hair cropped and face pressed into an expression worthy of Joan of Arc, carried the Viet Cong flag on a heavy pole.

Source:

The Gory Details About Terrorist Teacher Kathy Boudin (http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/04/04/The-Gory-Details-About-Terrorist-Teacher-Kathy-Boudin)

Dusty
04-05-2013, 09:29
One of the best professors I had was a rabbi who taught a course on the History of the Zionist Movement at Indiana University. He was a strong admirer of and advocate for socialism as practiced in Sweden, and found fault with many of America’s social institutions and laws. He and I disagreed on many things, but he was an excellent and demanding teacher, and the class remains one of the 10 best I had during my college experiences over several decades.

Well, knock me over with a feather.

How would you feel if your sons came back from school enamored of she who will not be named due to the enlightened instruction they received? That's typical of what's happening.

sinjefe
04-05-2013, 09:30
Hunh.

You're implying we should not allow our adult children exposure to anything beyond that of which we personally approve, we should not allow them to determine for themselves what to accept or reject when confronted with someone like the professor you describe (if the description is accurate) or Professor Boudin, we should not allow them to learn how to defend a position or personally held belief when confronted with a strong counter-argument, we should not allow them to be taught by someone who we don’t personally approve of for fear they might get the “wrong” idea(s), we should not trust them to experience life in its many forms and grow to be productively free-thinking adults in a society such as ours which demands such of its citizenry, we should not allow them to attend an internationally recognized university because there may be a professor somewhere on the faculty who might encourage them to accept ideas we find disagreeable and don't trust them to choose courses from other professors, and so forth.

I know you will find this shocking, but I disagree…and strongly suspect my sons would, too, but, as adults, it would be their choice to accept or reject such thinking, either ‘in toto’ or in part.

Personally, I would be curious to hear what Professor Boudin has to say about the NY prison and parole systems and their impact on families as an SME based upon her years of study and experience both in and outside the prison system. I would also like to spend a semester with Noam Chomsky (MIT), Stan McChrystal (Yale), and Angela Davis (UC Santa Cruz) to hear their thinking as SMEs in their recognized areas of expertise.

Richard,

I respect your point of view and might agree if I thought that people like Boudin would be openminded. I don't believe they are. Unfortunately, I think that many professors don't even try and teach, but try and indoctrinate. 18-21 year old kids are just that.....kids. They are still impressionable. A 21 year old mind isn't developed enough to be very good at critical thinking. Plus, universities don't seem to be very free places anyway. Take the Florida University professor who had his students write "Jesus" on a piece of paper and then stomp on it. Only one student refused and he was, initially, punished for not doing it. Only when they were dinged in the press did they change their minds. I am not even religious and that offends me . I think it naive to believe that somehow your kid (or mine) can stand up to the kind of progressive dogma that these institutions mostly push, IMHO.

Richard
04-05-2013, 09:56
I understand what everybody's saying here, but I have found this idea to pretty much hold true in America.

"Not to be a socialist at twenty is proof of want of heart;
to be one at thirty is proof of want of head."

- Georges Clemenceau (1841-1929)

To that end, I have developed a great deal of faith and patience in our society's many generational foibles.

And so it goes...

ironyoshi
04-05-2013, 12:58
The notion of academic freedom tends to foster the advancement of scholars expressing controversial opinions. Controversy creates attention, and with sufficient cleverness, one can create a certain air of mystique around his or her views - whereas the same views, baldly expressed, would be repellant. For example, this is part of the reason Noam Chomsky still has a job despite his statements regarding 9-11.

In recent years, a biologist at Cornell expressed the idea that we should introduce elephants and lions to the Midwest on the grounds that they are descendants of animals that once inhabited that region (mammoths and saber-tooths). Nobody has a problem calling that idea what it is. But when it comes to things like the composition of rap in place of conventional dissertation (Cornel West), or the expression of American race relations in a parable of racist white aliens (one of Obama's Harvard instructors), or the idea that all women should be forced to work outside the home (Sontag), a lot of people are going to clam up. Of course, these are in soft science or nonscience professions, where the factor of human interaction makes things messy, but all too often that factor is used as a cover for absolute garbage. At some point, even the most whackjob ideas become acceptable in scholarly discourse because they have no way of being means-tested.

Another problem with this state of affairs is that a professor is supposed to be accorded some higher respect in society. This is already at odds with Kathy Boudin, who as far as I can tell is an unrepentant murderer, or Bill Ayers, who prefers to dance around his history. Furthermore, it gives the professor a bully pulpit to persecute students who hold contrary views. (After all, there is the familiar sentiment that 19-year olds should just shut up and listen to their elders.) Finally, even if the students recognize the professor's views for what they are, they are still forced to publicly maintain a sham by dint of the position of the professor. Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's rain.

There is always the argument that such abject contrarians are needed because students need to be exposed to other points of view. Well, a decent instructor will be able to do just that without actually adopting those views as his own.

ironyoshi
04-05-2013, 13:09
To wit, some have suggested that Columbia hire Mexican cartel members as faculty. After all, they have a valuable perspective to contribute as SMEs in the complex issue of American imperialist ideology, American and international prisons, institutional and individual racism and the attendant race relations, etc...

Well, the only things stopping a university from hiring them or some gangbanger are 1) a decent command of the English language and 2) family connections.

VVVV
04-05-2013, 14:48
To wit, some have suggested that Columbia hire Mexican cartel members as faculty. After all, they have a valuable perspective to contribute as SMEs in the complex issue of American imperialist ideology, American and international prisons, institutional and individual racism and the attendant race relations, etc...

Well, the only things stopping a university from hiring them or some gangbanger are 1) a decent command of the English language and 2) family connections.

Doctoral degrees (the lack of) would be the first and foremost brick wall they would face.

The notion of academic freedom tends to foster the advancement of scholars expressing controversial opinions.

What controversial opinions has Boudin been expressing in he social work courses?

VVVV
04-05-2013, 15:05
The notion of academic freedom tends to foster the advancement of scholars expressing controversial opinions. Controversy creates attention, and with sufficient cleverness, one can create a certain air of mystique around his or her views - whereas the same views, baldly expressed, would be repellant. For example, this is part of the reason Noam Chomsky still has a job despite his statements regarding 9-11.

In recent years, a biologist at Cornell expressed the idea that we should introduce elephants and lions to the Midwest on the grounds that they are descendants of animals that once inhabited that region (mammoths and saber-tooths). Nobody has a problem calling that idea what it is. But when it comes to things like the composition of rap in place of conventional dissertation (Cornel West), or the expression of American race relations in a parable of racist white aliens (one of Obama's Harvard instructors), or the idea that all women should be forced to work outside the home (Sontag), a lot of people are going to clam up. Of course, these are in soft science or nonscience professions, where the factor of human interaction makes things messy, but all too often that factor is used as a cover for absolute garbage. At some point, even the most whackjob ideas become acceptable in scholarly discourse because they have no way of being means-tested.

Another problem with this state of affairs is that a professor is supposed to be accorded some higher respect in society. This is already at odds with Kathy Boudin, who as far as I can tell is an unrepentant murderer, or Bill Ayers, who prefers to dance around his history. Furthermore, it gives the professor a bully pulpit to persecute students who hold contrary views. (After all, there is the familiar sentiment that 19-year olds should just shut up and listen to their elders.) Finally, even if the students recognize the professor's views for what they are, they are still forced to publicly maintain a sham by dint of the position of the professor. Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's rain.

There is always the argument that such abject contrarians are needed because students need to be exposed to other points of view. Well, a decent instructor will be able to do just that without actually adopting those views as his own.

Do you know where Boudin was at the time the murders took place? Was she armed?

"I am responsible for a terrible and misguided act. I carry my responsibility as a heavy rock. In prison, I have tried to live day by day in a way that could express the real value of human life. I know I can't restore what I helped to damage and destroy. Over the last two decades, I have tried to give life." Kathy Boudin

Kathy Boudin isn't teaching political science. Do you even know what courses she teaches at Columbia and NYU?

I'm not making excuses for her actions, however IMO she has probably contributed more to society in the last 10 years than most people do in a lifetime.

Like Richard, I wouldn't have any qualms about her teaching (Social Work) to the college age people in my family.

Paslode
04-05-2013, 15:17
Hunh.

What I am implying is I would not pay for it and I would be pissed if the Institution of Higher Learning failed to disclose my young adult would be in class with Convicted Felon and Terrorist. If my young adult wishes to spend classroom time with (in this case) a terrorist so be it, but it will be on their own dime.

If Columbia put Fred Phelps, Byron De La Beckwith or John Wayne Gacy on the staff as janitor's, let alone a Adjunct Professor's heads would be rolling.

As I see it, evil is evil and should not be given a chance to influence minds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yaWqQIR7aRw

Oldrotorhead
04-05-2013, 15:23

Why not a cartel member might be a step up from this guy.

The short story is that his was having sex with his adult female child. He IS on adm leave.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/columbia-professor-charged-incest-accused-bedding-young-relative-3-years-article-1.472204

VVVV
04-05-2013, 15:28
What I am implying is I would not pay for it and I would be pissed if the Institution of Higher Learning failed to disclose my young adult would be in class with Convicted Felon and Terrorist. If my young adult wishes to spend classroom time with (in this case) a terrorist so be it, but it will be on their own dime.

If Columbia put Fred Phelps, Byron De La Beckwith or John Wayne Gacy on the staff as janitor's, let alone a Adjunct Professor's heads would be rolling.

As I see it, evil is evil and should not be given a chance to influence minds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yaWqQIR7aRw

Would you pay if your young adult was spending their time in class with gay and lesbian (Married or Single) professors?

VVVV
04-05-2013, 15:39
Why not a cartel member might be a step up from this guy.

The short story is that his was having sex with his adult female child. He IS on adm leave.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/columbia-professor-charged-incesthet-accused-bedding-young-relative-3-years-article-1.472204

Probably wouldn't be in the news if he was in Alabama!!!:munchin

Richard
04-05-2013, 17:29
What I am implying is...]

I see.

The Reaper
04-05-2013, 17:32
....Plus, universities don't seem to be very free places anyway. Take the Florida University professor who had his students write "Jesus" on a piece of paper and then stomp on it. Only one student refused and he was, initially, punished for not doing it. Only when they were dinged in the press did they change their minds. I am not even religious and that offends me . I think it naive to believe that somehow your kid (or mine) can stand up to the kind of progressive dogma that these institutions mostly push, IMHO.

Would we be equally okay if the word Mohammed were used for this exercise instead? If not, why?

Do you think a professor has the academic integrity and courage to try that stunt?

TR

Dusty
04-05-2013, 17:33

You just showed your ass.

Paragrouper
04-05-2013, 17:37

Alabama must have done terrrible things to you for you to malign her people so.

sinjefe
04-05-2013, 17:46
Would we be equally okay if the word Mohammed were used for this exercise instead? If not, why?

Do you think a professor has the academic integrity and courage to try that stunt?

TR

No, I would not be okay with it and, no, I don't believe he would have even tried.

The Reaper
04-05-2013, 18:03
No, I would not be okay with it and, no, I don't believe he would have even tried.

Hey, hermano, I used your quote because it had the example I was looking for.

Wasn't asking you specifically.

Sorry for the confusion.

TR

sinjefe
04-05-2013, 18:22
It was a fair question.

Oldrotorhead
04-05-2013, 18:41
I agree with you to a large extent.

(I understand what everybody's saying here, but I have found this idea to pretty much hold true in America.

"Not to be a socialist at twenty is proof of want of heart;
to be one at thirty is proof of want of head.")

Where I see the problem, and especially with places like Columbia, Princeton and Harvard is that they encourage and promote this through out life. A lot of the 60's Radicals were there in the 60's and it looks like they are welcomed back. Princweton's Professor of ethics thinks sex with animals is OK as long as no animals are injured. A lot of people here were raised in the 1960 through the 1980s and while a lot of this was there during those years it was not viewed as OK. Columbia has welcomed back a radical murderer and this is not the same as being exposed to Socalism as part of an education. I have a friend that was a leader of the Farrah Slacks strike and smuggled "stuff"nto Wounded Knee but he grew up and is a productive Citizen while Columbia and other Universities have never given up radical ideas that I think damage the Nation.

PRB
04-05-2013, 18:53
Just saw this stupid c%^t on a video talking to her class....naming her still jailed cohorts saying 'they need to be here'...out of jail, in the classroom....poor murderers.
Her dead cohorts died making bombs to plant at a dance for young GI's and their wives.....excellent.
If you think this piece of excrement belongs in a classroom your head is up your ass.
Out.

Paslode
04-05-2013, 19:53
Would you pay if your young adult was spending their time in class with gay and lesbian (Married or Single) professors?

Are they involved in or convicted of terrorism or murder?

bluebb
04-05-2013, 20:29
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times". Everett Dirksen

I have found Richard's, Sigaba and WHC's guiding rule.

"Hey Johnny, what are you rebelling against?" ... "Whaddya got?"

Damn Devils advocates.

Sohei
04-05-2013, 20:32
...Damn Devils advocates.

They keep you on your toes....;)

PRB
04-05-2013, 20:42
This woman is still cancerous....we need that in our already lib progressive dominated universities?
Dohrn, Ayers et al have said they wished they'd done 'more' not less....and our adj prof at Columbia, from what I've seen of her 'instruction' is of the same mind.
She served time, she has a degree....ergo she deserves our support? She was repentant before the parole board...she does not appear that way in the classroom.
Some folks you just need to pull the trigger on and forget the 'educational experiment of diverse ideas' as she took the conversation out of the idea realm and acted it out killing others that can no longer add to the conversation.
Who speaks for them?

Peregrino
04-05-2013, 20:55
If she had recieved the death penalty and been executed for her crimes (as I believe she and her co-conspirators should have) this wouldn't be an issue. The rot has been accelerating for a long time.

One of the first things any student of revolutionary movements learns is that failure usually means death. Given the current state of politics in this country, it appears to me as if they won. They're alive and most of what they agitated for has come to pass.

Stobey
04-05-2013, 21:05
Richard tell that to the wives and kids that were left without a father she helped murder. She should rot in prison for the rest of her life and not be teaching children.

AMEN to that brother! Seems like much of the anti-American scum from the 60s and 70s are all up for good jobs now with this administration and the festering puke in academia. Tell that also to the SSF soldiers who return from duty and are struggling to find meaningful work - esp those with families to support!

Not to mention that those same soldiers are now "potential terrorists" in the eyes of many in our govt. But one who has already committed terrorist acts and killed can resume her life like nothing ever happened?? What's wrong with this picture?

Clarification: OK so the b%$@! did not ACTUALLY kill anyone in the Brinks heist; however, she knew there were armed men in the back of the U-Haul truck who were just itching to "off some pigs" (as the saying went back then). More to the point, when 3 of her scumbag cohorts managed to blow themselves up in the apt at 111th St. in NYC, Boudin was apparently one who wanted those pipe bombs - meant for U.S. soldiers and their women - to be filled with nails. Leopards generally don't change their spots - not without some sort of epiphany. (David Horowitz is an excellent example).

The problem is that the Left in this country has done an excellent job in their "march through the institutions"; and we are seeing the results. When you have naive, idiotic "youngsters" being taught by the anti-American filth that exists in so many of our universities and colleges, the crud wipes off. Remember, these people are somewhat of a captive audience, relying on the good will (and good grades) of their professors, et. al. to be able to graduate from the indoctrination centers so they can find a good job. Not to mention the fact that VERY few are the brave - young - souls who will dare to contradict what their leftist professors have to say. Who wants to be singled out for abuse by their professors and/or fellow students? The anti-American bile that many are fed is swallowed whole; and as a result you wind up with young people who doubt if their country - and more importantly its freedoms and way of life - is even worth fighting for. That's how the PC MC rot that we currently have takes root. We've a LOT of unscrambling to do in this country if we are to survive as even a remnant of the country we once knew.

VVVV
04-05-2013, 21:10
This woman is still cancerous....we need that in our already lib progressive dominated universities?
Dohrn, Ayers et al have said they wished they'd done 'more' not less....and our adj prof at Columbia, from what I've seen of her 'instruction' is of the same mind.
She served time, she has a degree....ergo she deserves our support? She was repentant before the parole board...she does not appear that way in the classroom.
Some folks you just need to pull the trigger on and forget the 'educational experiment of diverse ideas' as she took the conversation out of the idea realm and acted it out killing others that can no longer add to the conversation.
Who speaks for them?

Just curious, how you know how she appears in the classroom?

Unless we are Columbia students how are we supporting her?

PRB
04-05-2013, 21:49
Just curious, how you know how she appears in the classroom?

Unless we are Columbia students how are we supporting her?

There are some classroom vids of her out there...saw one on TV this evening where she was decrying the fact that her fellow weathers are still in prison and they shoud be out....

PRB
04-05-2013, 23:07
how's this....she wants to publicly remember the trigger pullers...they need to be out too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaWqQIR7aRw

Richard
04-06-2013, 06:30
How ironic that there are members of this community who think it politically incorrect in agreeing to promulgate a proverbially slippery slope of an idea that our institutions of higher education should adhere to some nebulous concept of "correctness" - the seeming idea that a "correct" curriculum of "correct" readings taught "correctly" by "correct" faculty fostering "correct" ideas for a "correct" society. "Ingsoc" comes to mind for me when such an idea is bantered about.

IMO social activism is a worthy pursuit - how it may be carried out and for what purpose is worth studying, including the raising, educating, thinking and reasoning of a zealously committed activist like Kathy Boudin who, for whatever reason(s), concluded that breaking the law was worth the risk for attaining whatever goal(s) she thought might not be obtained otherwise.

To that end, IMO people should hear her, should openly challenge her, should foster those ideas they find worthy of emulating, and reject and decry those they find unrealistic or abhorrant; but to deny her a voice or employment within the boundaries of the law because we don't agree with some of her ideas or previous behaviors is Orwellian, and the antithesis of what we proclaim ourselves to be amongst the world's nations.

FWIW - Columbia was one of the 6 IHE choices I was given by the Department of the Army for fully-funded graduate schooling as an 18A/48C; for a number of reasons, I chose another of the six. IHE choice (schools, programs, courses) is available to us all...for now.

Dusty
04-06-2013, 07:35
IMO social activism is a worthy pursuit - how it may be carried out and for what purpose is worth studying, including the raising, educating, thinking and reasoning of a zealously committed activist like Kathy Boudin who, for whatever reason(s), concluded that breaking the law was worth the risk for attaining whatever goal(s) she thought might not be obtained otherwise.

To that end, IMO people should hear her, should openly challenge her, should foster those ideas they find worthy of emulating, and reject and decry those they find unrealistic or abhorrant; but to deny her a voice or employment within the boundaries of the law because we don't agree with some of her ideas or previous behaviors is Orwellian, and the antithesis of what we proclaim ourselves to be amongst the world's nations.

Richard[/COLOR] :munchin

Provocative points, Richard, but I gotta jet. Running late for Professor Manson's fondue class. :p

Pete
04-06-2013, 07:50
One person's social activist is another person's terrorist.

Just sayin'.

JJ_BPK
04-06-2013, 08:03

To that end, IMO people should hear her, should openly challenge her, should foster those ideas they find worthy of emulating, and reject and decry those they find unrealistic or abhorrent;

AS I see it, the problem is that most kids going to college are not the type to challenge. They absorb the bible according to their liberal teachers.

Columbia, like most holes of lower learning, is not inclusive of alternate opinions. They select those individuals that fit their "norm" and the liberal sheeple riot if they alter course.

If there was balance in higher education, we would not be here arguing this topic..

sinjefe
04-06-2013, 08:32

Sorry, but that sounds like enabling and moral relativism to me.

The Reaper
04-06-2013, 08:37
I guess if Eric Rudolph works on his PhD, and is ever paroled, he can look forward to a quick hiring offer from an institution of higher learning.

Meh, ain't gonna happen to anyone but a leftist lib.

The hypocrisy is huge, and the denial is worse.

TR

Team Sergeant
04-06-2013, 10:36
How ironic that there are members of this community who think it politically incorrect in agreeing to promulgate a proverbially slippery slope of an idea that our institutions of higher education should adhere to some nebulous concept of "correctness" - the seeming idea that a "correct" curriculum of "correct" readings taught "correctly" by "correct" faculty fostering "correct" ideas for a "correct" society. "Ingsoc" comes to mind for me when such an idea is bantered about.

FWIW - Columbia was one of the 6 IHE choices I was given by the Department of the Army for fully-funded graduate schooling as an 18A/48C; for a number of reasons, I chose another of the six. IHE choice (schools, programs, courses) is available to us all...for now.

All this says to me is that you have an issue with understanding the difference between right and wrong.

Children's/young people minds are quite malleable and most would acquiescent to an individual such as this murderer. Tell me Richard, what would you think if one of your children took her class and came home singing praises of the Weather Underground and wanting to free the rest of the murders?

What about XXXX XXXXX? She did nothing wrong in the eyes of the public, no charges and yet you harbor such a hatred for her? She's not a convict but you would give her no quarter.

Is this not hypocrisy?

Paragrouper
04-06-2013, 11:06
If there was balance in higher education, we would not be here arguing this topic..:munchin

Well said. That lack of balance degrades the credibility of Columbia University in my eyes--well that and some of their alumni.

Dusty
04-06-2013, 11:27
Well said. That lack of balance degrades the credibility of Columbia University in my eyes--well that and some of their alumni.

We don't know that for certain. No transcripts. ;)

VVVV
04-06-2013, 12:21
how's this....she wants to publicly remember the trigger pullers...they need to be out too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaWqQIR7aRw

I'd like to see the complete unedited version....notice how the clip cuts off before she finished speaking.

That isn't a video of her teaching a class, and it's NYU Law School not Columbia.

BKKMAN
04-06-2013, 12:51
I'd like to see the complete unedited version....notice how the clip cuts off before she finished speaking.

That isn't a video of her teaching a class, and it's NYU Law School not Columbia.

Available here:

Boudin NYU Lecture (http://www.law.nyu.edu/news/SHEINBERG_LECTURE_KATHY_BOUDIN)

Richard
04-06-2013, 13:41
We can “what if” this forever, however:

Kathy Boudin was an active member of a militant group involved in criminal activities.
As a member of the group, she was an accessory to a murder – she did not murder anyone.
What she did was decidedly wrong.
She was caught, tried, and sentenced for her wrongs IAW the law.
She served 22 years of a 20-75 year sentence and was paroled IAW existing law.
Since her parole, she has worked for a hospital, as an SME advisor on prison matters, and as an adjunct lecturer at Columbia University.
What she, the hospital, the prison systems, and the university are doing is not illegal.
Beyond that is but conjecture, opinion, and editorializing on all our parts.

Personally, I have neither empathy for nor animosity towards her at this point.

In the realm of conjecture, she could have wound up like Patrick Bearup in Arizona, and Ms Boudin's associates might be the ones now free and the topic of discussion.

Less Culpable, but With Longer Sentences

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/06/us/in-many-capital-cases-less-culpable-defendants-receive-death-penalty.html?hpw&_r=0

Dusty
04-06-2013, 13:47
Personally, I have neither empathy for nor animosity towards her at this point.

How do you label this statement?

"IMO social activism is a worthy pursuit - how it may be carried out and for what purpose is worth studying, including the raising, educating, thinking and reasoning of a zealously committed activist like Kathy Boudin who, for whatever reason(s), concluded that breaking the law was worth the risk for attaining whatever goal(s) she thought might not be obtained otherwise"

Richard
04-06-2013, 14:01
How do you label this statement?

Studying her case to seek insight into her reasoning for her militancy is showing empathy or animosity? :confused:

Richard

Dusty
04-06-2013, 14:16
Studying her case to seek insight into her reasoning for her militancy is showing empathy or animosity? :confused:

Richard

I didn't say it was either. I'd just like to know what you call it.

Because this...

"You're implying we should not allow our adult children exposure to anything beyond that of which we personally approve, we should not allow them to determine for themselves what to accept or reject when confronted with someone like the professor you describe (if the description is accurate) or Professor Boudin, we should not allow them to learn how to defend a position or personally held belief when confronted with a strong counter-argument, we should not allow them to be taught by someone who we don’t personally approve of for fear they might get the “wrong” idea(s), we should not trust them to experience life in its many forms and grow to be productively free-thinking adults in a society such as ours which demands such of its citizenry, we should not allow them to attend an internationally recognized university because there may be a professor somewhere on the faculty who might encourage them to accept ideas we find disagreeable and don't trust them to choose courses from other professors, and so forth."

...sounds like you're empathising with her position.

Richard
04-06-2013, 14:38
I didn't say it was either. I'd just like to know what you call it.

Because this...

"You're implying we should not allow our adult children exposure to anything beyond that of which we personally approve, we should not allow them to determine for themselves what to accept or reject when confronted with someone like the professor you describe (if the description is accurate) or Professor Boudin, we should not allow them to learn how to defend a position or personally held belief when confronted with a strong counter-argument, we should not allow them to be taught by someone who we don’t personally approve of for fear they might get the “wrong” idea(s), we should not trust them to experience life in its many forms and grow to be productively free-thinking adults in a society such as ours which demands such of its citizenry, we should not allow them to attend an internationally recognized university because there may be a professor somewhere on the faculty who might encourage them to accept ideas we find disagreeable and don't trust them to choose courses from other professors, and so forth."

...sounds like you're empathising with her position.

Believing young adults should not be prohibited from encountering differing opinions, even radical ones, in the collegiate process of learning to reason for themselves is showing empathy to someone like Professor Boudin? :confused:

Here's a thought. Did you read her background?

Kathy Boudin was born on May 19, 1943, into a family with a Muslim mother and a 1/2 Jewish Father, with a long left-wing history, and she was raised in Greenwich Village, New York. Her great-uncle was Louis B. Boudin, a Marxist theorist. Her father, attorney Leonard Boudin, had represented such controversial clients as Judith Coplon, Fidel Castro, and Paul Robeson. A National Lawyers Guild attorney, Leonard Boudin was the law partner of Victor Rabinowitz, himself counsel to numerous left-wing organizations.

When it comes to her leaning towards militant activism, it sounds like she was 'home-schooled'. ;)

Dusty
04-06-2013, 14:59
Here's a thought. Did you read her background?

Yes, even though I don't put 100% trust in Wiki, I'm sure it's close.

So, are you condoning her position or not?

Sigaba
04-08-2013, 22:54
Really, that is the view you formed from reading this? Maybe it takes one that is willing to skew their standards of ethics to consider this a completely above board move.

While the University is completely free to hire whomever they choose, I am able to judge that hire based on publicly available information.Since this issue apparently has caused you some discomfort, I ask the following simple questions:

Have you communicated your displeasure to anyone at Columbia University? If, so, to whom, and what was the reply?

mark46th
04-09-2013, 08:23
Sounds like Obama's education closely parallels Boudin's...