PDA

View Full Version : Modified Uniforms

RedLegGI
03-23-2013, 20:18
Alrighty guys I'm looking for some info on your modified uniforms. As for the forum, I found 2 references in one thread on the forum (http://professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8537&highlight=Modified+Uniforms&page=2) with a little info on the why. Looking at the BDU pattern, it is clear why they were modified and why big Army adopted the style for the ACU.

What I am looking for is at what level were these modifications made? Were they 'standardized' by the unit or group? Were they done to a personal preference?

What sparked this is I got thee modified BDU's this weekend, the first I've gotten, and I kind of wanted some info direct from the source. I'll include some pics for reference.

#1 - 2003 manufacture date
http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/u545/RedLegGI/Latest%20Finds/DSC01334_zpsd99d4045.jpg

#2 - 1993 manufacture date
http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/u545/RedLegGI/Latest%20Finds/DSC01339_zps09f421a1.jpg

#3 1993 manufacture date
http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/u545/RedLegGI/Latest%20Finds/DSC01342_zps3d982ec0.jpg

With respect,

Red

Ambush Master
03-23-2013, 21:14
I made a post or two in there. We modified ours, on mainly a Team by Team decision, but most of us all had the "Lower Pockets" on the Shirt/Blouse/Jacket or whatever, relocated to the upper outside of the sleeve by the shoulder. When we wore our gear, the Pockets on the lower front were TOTALLY useless!!

As I said before, we (Team by Team) would adjust our cammo for each mission depending on what the AO that we were inserting into looked like. We would make this decision after we made our "Overflights" on the Photo Recons. But, as I stated before, in Laos, after 30 min. on the ground you would look like whatever you were into!!!

Later
Martin

Team Sergeant
03-23-2013, 21:46
I've seen teams modify their gear all the time. Where do you think the leg holsters, A7A strap belts, jungle hats with glitter tape sewn in, rucks with better shoulder straps, rucks with claymore bags sewn on, we modify or make things for our missions.

The mods we do are endless and the ones you mention are the ones you can see.....;)

Richard
03-23-2013, 22:17
I've seen teams modify their gear all the time. Where do you think the leg holsters, A7A strap belts, jungle hats with glitter tape sewn in, rucks with better shoulder straps, rucks with claymore bags sewn on, we modify or make things for our missions.

The mods we do are endless and the ones you mention are the ones you can see.....;)

Exactly! The mission comes first...and whatever it takes to accomplish that task based on experience combined with personal preference. It works.

RedLegGI
03-23-2013, 22:34
I made a post or two in there. We modified ours, on mainly a Team by Team decision, but most of us all had the "Lower Pockets" on the Shirt/Blouse/Jacket or whatever, relocated to the upper outside of the sleeve by the shoulder. When we wore our gear, the Pockets on the lower front were TOTALLY useless!!

That's what I tend to see, and for the reasons you've said. I've got a couple in DCU with the exact same mods, using the moved pocket design. Some with velcro, some without.

Are you guys familiar with the Close Combat Uniform (CU/CCU)? It was the first attempt to standardize the mods and it was issued to 2ID then 25th ID for limited use in 03/04 for 'mass' testing. I also learned from my former battery commander who was an FSO for one of the groups in A-stan, that he got issued a set as well (http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/u545/RedLegGI/Latest%20Finds/DSC01318_zps3df9d15a.jpg)

What I find really interesting is that you guys make the big Army thing logically about equipment and designs.

Richard
03-23-2013, 22:42
Personal preference - we didn't use velcro for anything - that noise carries a long ways...especially at night.

Like the 'beep' on an electric watch - we didn't use those, either.

Just sayin'...

Richard :munchin

RedLegGI
03-23-2013, 22:45
Personal preference - we didn't use velcro for anything - that noise carries a long ways...especially at night.

Just sayin'...

I always thought the same thing about the switch to velcro. namtapes, etc makes sense because you're not taking those off constantly. But the sleeve pockets (which on the CCU were snaps), just didn't make sense as you access that quite a lot (from personal experience as well).

Richard
03-23-2013, 22:48
We always used buttons - quiet, always worked, could be easily repaired.

No snaps, no zippers, no velcro.

Team Sergeant
03-23-2013, 22:51

Just sayin'...

Come on Richard, velcro was not even invented when you were in the army. You told me how you hated carrying the breech loaders...;)

koz
03-23-2013, 22:59
One of the best tools in the deployment box was a sewing machine.
Fix uniforms, modify in-country issed uniforms, modify kit, make gaiters, make slings, etc....

Richard
03-23-2013, 22:59
Come on Richard, velcro was not even invented when you were in the army. You told me how you hated carrying the breech loaders...;)

Yeah, but COL Berdan was ahead of his time by making us carry those Sharps rifles. :p

UWOA
03-23-2013, 23:11

And Richard came in a year after I did ... he didn't have to work with mules like I did! LOL!

Sdiver
03-23-2013, 23:13
If you're worried about velcro, here's a video that some fella made to show how to open a velcro pouch under tactical conditions ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSK3maq8Cyk

It works.
I didn't hear the velcro on that pouch at all. :munchin

RedLegGI
03-24-2013, 00:57
If you're worried about velcro, here's a video that some fella made to show how to open a velcro pouch under tactical conditions ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSK3maq8Cyk

It works.
I didn't hear the velcro on that pouch at all. :munchin

I didn't hear it either

RedLegGI
03-31-2013, 00:13
As usual, thank you for your responses on this topic it has been very informative.

Red

miclo18d
04-01-2013, 12:32
One of the best tools in the deployment box was a sewing machine.
Fix uniforms, modify in-country issed uniforms, modify kit, make gaiters, make slings, etc....
We never had our own sewing machine but everywhere I went in South America had a place, either on base or off, that had excellent sewing services and since every team used them when they went there, they had a pretty good pattern/style that everyone liked...and they were VERY inexpensive.

In Afghanistan we had a "Haji" sew shop that could modify anything we needed. Usually with a few days turnaround. We prototyped things then sent them back for mods then had them mass produced for the team.

Divemaster
04-02-2013, 01:01
The first time I had modified BDU's (called mods) was in Oki around 2000. We had unit funds that allowed us to take our uniforms to a local sew shop. Not only were the lower shirt pockets moved to the upper sleeves, but the top pockets were slanted outwards so they could be accessed while wearing body armor or a load bearing vest (LBV). Shirt pockets were done in Velcro as were the US Army and name tapes. Trouser pockets were left with original buttons as access wasn't an issue.

In my upper sleeve pockets I carried a nylon VS-17 panel, an IR strobe, an E&R compass, personal GPS, local cell phone (tuned off and SIM card taped to the outside) and protein bars. I could turn the strobe on while it remained in the pocket and it could still be seen by aircraft. In the jungle I wore a simple CamelBak under my LBV so if everything else was ditched I still had water. A waterproof map and other necessities were in my trouser cargo pockets. The philosophy was:
Live out of your ruck
Fight from your kit
Survive in your uniform.

The ACU, not only having the worst camo pattern ever, had sleeve pockets that were too small to be useful and slanted the chest pockets inward thus making them pretty much usless while wearing body armor. That is why many of us in Iraq wore modified DCU's (mods paid for out of pocket) instead of the ACU. In Iraq I had the same items on my body as when I was in SE Asia.

Still, everyone knew the basic layout of the uniform was influenced by the original mods. And the design of the mods was handed down to us from the same place the multicams came from.

RedLegGI
04-02-2013, 03:29
The first time I had modified BDU's (called mods) was in Oki around 2000. We had unit funds that allowed us to take our uniforms to a local sew shop. Not only were the lower shirt pockets moved to the upper sleeves, but the top pockets were slanted outwards so they could be accessed while wearing body armor or a load bearing vest (LBV). Shirt pockets were done in Velcro as were the US Army and name tapes. Trouser pockets were left with original buttons as access wasn't an issue.

In my upper sleeve pockets I carried a nylon VS-17 panel, an IR strobe, an E&R compass, personal GPS, local cell phone (tuned off and SIM card taped to the outside) and protein bars. I could turn the strobe on while it remained in the pocket and it could still be seen by aircraft. In the jungle I wore a simple CamelBak under my LBV so if everything else was ditched I still had water. A waterproof map and other necessities were in my trouser cargo pockets. The philosophy was:
Live out of your ruck
Fight from your kit
Survive in your uniform.

The ACU, not only having the worst camo pattern ever, had sleeve pockets that were too small to be useful and slanted the chest pockets inward thus making them pretty much usless while wearing body armor. That is why many of us in Iraq wore modified DCU's (mods paid for out of pocket) instead of the ACU. In Iraq I had the same items on my body as when I was in SE Asia.

Still, everyone knew the basic layout of the uniform was influenced by the original mods. And the design of the mods was handed down to us from the same place the multicams came from.

Very insightful and this leads to another question. I have a couple of the modified DCU's with spots for velcro, just as you mentioned about your uniforms. On one, there are clearly spots for rank, qualification badges, rigger, air assault, etc. It seems to me that the purpose of the velcro was for inside the wire, vs outside the wire, would this be correct?

Divemaster
04-09-2013, 01:35
Very insightful and this leads to another question. I have a couple of the modified DCU's with spots for velcro, just as you mentioned about your uniforms. On one, there are clearly spots for rank, qualification badges, rigger, air assault, etc. It seems to me that the purpose of the velcro was for inside the wire, vs outside the wire, would this be correct?

Sounds like Air Force uniforms, they love that stuff. I never saw a set of (SF) mods with anything more than the Army and name tapes on the chest and call signs or unauthorized patches on the shoulders. Even in garrison CONUS I never saw an SF guy with even so much as a set of jump wings pinned on a set of ACUs right up to the day I retired in 2008. I can't speak for the other Groups.