PDA

View Full Version : '60 Minutes' visits 7th SFGA

Richard
03-20-2013, 09:44
Mark your calendars.

Richard :munchin

'60 Minutes' visits 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne)

Laura Logan of CBS's "60 Minutes" conducts a walking interview with Sgt. 1st Class Chris Corban of 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne) 7SFG(A) Eglin Base Air Force Base, Fla., March. 18, 2013. Laura Logan visited the 7SFG(A) compound for an upcoming story for "60 Minutes" which airs April 14 on CBS.

sinjefe
03-20-2013, 10:09
"One day a scorpion arrived at the bank of a river he wanted to cross, but there was no bridge. He asked a frog that was sitting nearby if he would take him across the river on his back. The frog refused and said, 'I will not, because you will sting me.'

"The scorpion replied, 'It would be foolish for me to sting you because then we would both drown.'

"The frog saw the logic in the scorpion's words, and agreed to carry the scorpion across. But when they were halfway across the river the scorpion stung the frog. The stunned frog asked, 'Why did you sting me? Now we will both die!'

"The scorpion replied, 'Because I'm a scorpion … and that's what scorpions do.'"

MR2
03-20-2013, 12:21
I was thinking the same thing Sinjefe.

BKKMAN
03-20-2013, 13:33
Hopefully it ends up better than the last time Lara Logan and 7th Group met up...

60 Minutes 7th Group AFG video (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18560_162-6151526.html)

My favorite quote from the older video (and the teaching point for all you young Regiment guys out there, that the cameras are always on and what you say is forever...):

"Yeah. It's only pain when you acknowledge it. There's work that has to be done. You don't have the luxury of self pity," he replied.

SF18C
03-20-2013, 14:07
SFC C needs to stand up straight.

Plus on site POA and JAG support!

mark46th
03-20-2013, 14:27
Rarely does a visit from 60 Minutes go well for the military.

Surgicalcric
03-20-2013, 14:42
Wonder how many other amputees she will try to visit while she is there...

Richard
03-20-2013, 14:45
SFC C needs to stand up straight.

Might have a little something to do with his hi-speed prosthetic feet... ;)

SF18C
03-20-2013, 14:51

Well color me stupid, I missed that completly! My apologies to SFC C, Rock on Warrior!

UWOA (RIP)
03-20-2013, 15:11
I was thinking the same thing Sinjefe.

Ditto.

Streck-Fu
03-20-2013, 15:23
I want to be the Malenois...

...Carry on...

longrange1947
03-20-2013, 15:27
My experience with news reporters is all bad. I was all for letting the reporters see what was "really happening" in El Sal. It bit me big time when one followed myself and B.H. around. Damn near came to a Court Marshall for the both of us. The lies, twisting of question asked versus REAL question asked, half truth and BS proved to me that I do not do interviews, I do not talk to the press, and they can all kiss my rosy red. :mad:

UWOA (RIP)
03-20-2013, 16:21
My experience with news reporters is all bad. I was all for letting the reporters see what was "really happening" in El Sal. It bit me big time when one followed myself and B.H. around. Damn near came to a Court Marshall for the both of us. The lies, twisting of question asked versus REAL question asked, half truth and BS proved to me that I do not do interviews, I do not talk to the press, and they can all kiss my rosy red. :mad:

Ditto.

69harley
03-20-2013, 16:54

I am pretty good friends with Chris, and he seemed shorter when I first saw him after he was out of therapy. He decided to have his prosthetic legs made two inches shorter and two shoe sizes smaller. Said pants and shoes were more readily available in his 'new' size. Chris is hilarious sometimes.

Richard
03-20-2013, 18:09
I am pretty good friends with Chris, and he seemed shorter when I first saw him after he was out of therapy. He decided to have his prosthetic legs made two inches shorter and two shoe sizes smaller. Said pants and shoes were more readily available in his 'new' size. Chris is hilarious sometimes.

Reminds me of a guy I knew who stepped on a toe-popper which resulted in one foot being 2 boot sizes smaller than his other foot - drove the S4s crazy when issuing him jungle boots or ski boots. :D

doctom54
03-20-2013, 18:48

I concur

MtnGoat
03-20-2013, 19:06
I've heard that she's married to a SF Guy.. I cannot confirm nor deny these some rumor...

SF18C
03-20-2013, 20:39
I've heard that she's married to a SF Guy.. I cannot confirm nor deny these some rumor...

In 2008 she married Joseph Burkett, a U.S. government defense contractor from Texas, U.S.A. whom she met in Afghanistan.

How is that?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/07/AR2008070702662.html

BKKMAN
03-20-2013, 21:10
In 2008 she married Joseph Burkett, a U.S. government defense contractor from Texas, U.S.A. whom she was banging and got pregnant by in Iraq.

How is that?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/07/AR2008070702662.html

fixed that for you...

69harley
03-21-2013, 04:25
At least she wasn't banging a general officer....

Bill Harsey
03-21-2013, 08:50
Ax will do fine in the interview.

(Ax is the work dog and that soldiers best friend)

cedsall
03-21-2013, 17:06

You always know it's going to be a bad day when you show up for work to find Morley Safer and the 60 Minutes news team waiting at your door.

ChuckG
04-21-2013, 17:37
Very impressive interview. Thanks for the heads up.

Bill Harsey
04-22-2013, 07:29
Very impressive interview. Thanks for the heads up.

That's what I thought. ;)

JJ_BPK
04-22-2013, 07:43
Chris & Ax,,

Two Great American Heroes..

:D:lifter:lifter:D

SF18C
04-22-2013, 12:39
That is what I would call a postive news story! Kudus to 60 Minutes, this time!

FWIW, I have emailed Michael Ritland of Warrior Dog Foundation.

He doesn't live to far from me...maybe he will let me adopt one of his retired dogs, or at least let me play fetch with some 4-legged Special Operators!

Richard
04-22-2013, 13:01
My wife and I watched it last and we both thought it was a very well done piece of reporting. I told her of Chris' situation and his journey back to Group, and her reaction was, "WOW!"

mojaveman
04-22-2013, 18:35
I don't normally watch 60 minutes but that was a pretty good story. My favorite part was when the handler said that his K-9 took down a member of the Taliban after being shot in the chest. The Belgian Malinois is a very special breed and also a good looking dog.

SF_BHT
04-22-2013, 19:03
Just watched it. Good show.....

Tatonka316
04-22-2013, 20:26
It has been a great honor for me to get to know Chris and Ax over the past few years. He was in the Q course with my son, Chris, and so we have some very strong bonds. SFC Corbin is TRULY an inspiration to me DAILY and Ax is one of the most amazing animals I have ever seen.

I agree that the 60 Minutes piece was good, but it would have been so much better if the viewers got to see the TREMENDOUS talent and skill that Ax has!!! I have seen him do things I have NEVER seen another working dog do, and he is to be commended for the PHENOMENAL things he has done on the battlefield to keep OUR family safe!!!

Thank you SFC Corbin and MSG Ax for your service, sacrifice, dedication and professionalism!!!

molon labe:lifter

Richard
04-22-2013, 20:35
It has been a great honor for me to get to know Chris and Ax over the past few years. He was in the Q course with my son, Chris, and so we have some very strong bonds. SFC Corbin is TRULY an inspiration to me DAILY and Ax is one of the most amazing animals I have ever seen.

I agree that the 60 Minutes piece was good, but it would have been so much better if the viewers got to see the TREMENDOUS talent and skill that Ax has!!! I have seen him do things I have NEVER seen another working dog do, and he is to be commended for the PHENOMENAL things he has done on the battlefield to keep OUR family safe!!!

Thank you SFC Corbin and MSG Ax for your service, sacrifice, dedication and professionalism!!!

molon labe:lifter

If there was ever a reason to have a "like" function on this BB, this post would - in my opinion - be it.

MR2
04-22-2013, 20:41
Agreed Richard.

I've met Tatonka and he's good people too!

Sdiver
04-22-2013, 20:59
Agreed Richard.

I've met Tatonka and he's good people too!

Aye, that he is .... as are you MR2.

Sdiver
04-22-2013, 21:35
Here is the link to the story, along with a couple of "extras".

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50145334n

UWOA (RIP)
04-22-2013, 21:55
Excellent piece and good coverage.

PSM
04-22-2013, 23:01
Here is the link to the story, along with a couple of "extras".

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50145334n

Thanks for the link; we don't have TV here. Great segment. :lifter

Pat

Sdiver
04-22-2013, 23:22
Thanks for the link; we don't have TV here. Great segment. :lifter

Pat

De Nada, amigo. ;)

Kasik
04-30-2014, 19:16
Now years ago, about '96 or so, Ed Bradley and 60 Minutes brought a number of us who'd served in El Salvador to Washington DC.

To include General Stringham (Ret.).

We interviewed for several days to include a former FMLN - PRTC commandante, Gilberto Osorio.

The interview and subsequent segment was very positive and helped then Congressman Bob Dornan get full combat recognition approved for the war by Congress.

Bradley again came out when we dedicated the ES memorial stone and tree at Arlington. Great story - that effort was sponsored by the No Greater Love Foundation and assisted greatly by Major Andy Messing (Retired), an ES veteran himself.

Ken Bowra brought a C-130 up from Bragg with active duty guys from 7th Group who had served in ES, as well, for the ceremony.

That's two times I know of personally where 60 Minutes did right by us.